November 21, 2014 | 1580 users online

Foundations - Philosophy - the supernatural airbrush canvas

rated 2 of 5 on 10/20/2009 11:57:00 PM More reviews by pvaj

I loved this product when I first purchased it. I really did look "airbrushed" and it looked natural. I ripped off the sponge applicator and just tapped what I needed into the lid and applied like a you would a mineral powder with a kabuki brush. I found it such a waste to have product stuck in the sponge. After a while I noticed that I was orange by the end of the day. This product has VERY poor oil control. Even though I would blot throughout the day, the oil on my skin would cake the product on my face into blotches. Yuck!! Needless to say, I tucked it into the back of my drawer and have never used it again. I tossed it not to long ago.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2009 12:07:00 AM More reviews by sparky17

I can affect the color and texture of this through application method. Whenever possible I'll use a brush and application technique similar to BE (swirl, tap, buff) and find that the application is a bit more matte. I can layer it on thicker to darken the color but this isn't really necessary now we're at the time of the year where I see the sun about once a week. I go over under eye circles and blemishes with a BE concealer brush and get excellent results.

The staying power is great and I actually prefer how it fades over BE because I get more even fading. If I don't have any brushes or makeup for touch up, I can gently rub it into the skin and get a nice effect.

I've only used the sponge top once because I'm a bit of a germ-phobe. Having said that, I like that I can get a nice layer going without having to bang the applicator against my face to get the product out. This is definitely a brilliant product for on-the-go application (as tested in the car in the bank drive through line)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/13/2009 6:12:00 PM More reviews by snoopyandmms

I switched to this product after using Bare Minerals which reacted badly with my skin. This product does not have as many colours, but was ok in that it felt light-weight and provided light to medium coverage. Touch ups are needed every couple of hours. The packaging was a bit useless though since applying the product by pouncing the sponge-topped jar to one's face seems odd to me and offers little control. I poured the product out into a Sonja Kushik(?) product that held powder in a canister connected to a brush (you would twist the canister to release the desired amount of product onto the brush). I switched from this product to Laura Mercier pressed mineral powder since it seems to last longer. I now use this product if I don't have my Laura Mercier pressed mineral powder handy.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2009 4:16:00 PM More reviews by missrachel2930

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

If you're looking for a high quality mineral foundation, this is the one you need. It is far superior to BE. It's thicker than other mineral foundations and therefore, it applies and blends very easily and very quickly. With one stroke of the sponge applicator, that section of skin is well covered and so, you won't need to go over it again. So, there is no constant buffing as with other mineral foundations. There are some reports out there that say buffing foundation on your skin can damage it so I was glad I didn't have to with this. This foundation has excellent coverage as well. I have moderate sun damage and this covers all the damage very well without being heavy. I have fair to medium skin and I got this in Porcelain (I think Philosophy recently changed it to Medium Beige) and that fits my skin tone well. I do have a few gripes about it which is why I only gave it 4 lippies. First, when the jar is relatively full, a lot of foundation can come out at once causing you to use more than desired and sometimes getting a caked look. Over time, I learned how to apply it to prevent this. Also, one time when applying, the sponge came off and about a third of the foundation was lost on my face and clothing. Other than that, I highly recommend this to anyone wanting to try mineral foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2009 5:03:00 PM More reviews by cmitakis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I really like this. It's better than BE, which tends to settle into my pores and the BE color (fairly light) is too yellow for me. The beige in this one is great for me because of the cool undertone, and I like the coverage better, it doesn't sink into imperfections. It's also fab as a concealer. I don't even bother with the sponge. I just use my kabuki brush. Very nice overall.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2009 11:55:00 AM More reviews by bella4462

Okay, I know from past reviews, many of you don't like the sponge applicator but in all honestly, I am known to be lazy and grumpy in the AM and if I don't have to take out a brush to apply well than I'm a happy camper. I love the color I use (Beige) because it is not a yellow/orange beige but more of a cool tone. I love the fact that this product doesn't break me out and it provides GREAT coverage and staying power. I do always have this on hand in my mu stash but shelling out $35 on foundation is a bit of a downer hence the 4 out of 5 lippies.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2009 4:20:00 PM More reviews by bunnyangel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really like this product and am on my third jar. Looks like I am with many other reviewers in finding it superior to Bare Escentuals. For me, this was less chalky, cakey and didn't settle into lines/pores like BE did. I see that this made a few people break out badly, but thankfully for my acne-prone skin, I have had no problems with break outs with this product. It actually works really well over blemishes and was a God-send to tone down the redness (without any irritation) from chemical peels and microdermabrasion. I do not use the sponge applicator. I throw that away, and just shake the product into the cap and apply with Philosophy's Airbrushed Canvas brush (which I also love since it is smaller than kabuki brushes and gives better control/coverage). The coverage is perfect for me...not too sparkly or matte, just natural and glowing. It really does come the closest to feeling/looking like your natural skin. I love that it has SPF and is free of talc, oil and fragrance. On days when it seems too dry-looking, I just spritz my face with a mineral water mist and it's fine. I think if you just wait 30 minutes or so, the dryness would also subside and the powder blends into your skin nicely. I took one lippie off just because I would love if it came in the form that some newer mineral makeups are using - a compact with a shaver to make it travel-friendly and neat.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/5/2009 3:16:00 PM More reviews by chloraimey

So, here's the secret to this product: You HAVE to buy the Philsophy "Present" primer. I tried using this with no primer, and it does what all the negative reviews say...makes your pores look big, clogs them, sweats into clumps and looks orange. I tried it with my Bare Minerals Prime Time, and it was better but still not excellent. I had tried Bare Minerals before and it gave me fine lines all over even with primer. This foundation, **ONLY WITH THE PHILOSOPHY PRIMER**, gave me NO fine lines, and so far has lasted 3 months with no end in site, 6 days or so a week, sometimes twice a day.

I have really sensitive acne-prone oily skin, and once I learned the secret of using their primer, this product has been the best foundation. I did have to put it in my Bare Escentuals container because that sponge applicator puts it on a little too thick and gets gross (you can change the sponge if you want, too, but I just didn't like it). So, with the primer, which also looks great by itself on a sporty day (but has no sunscreen), and using a Bare Minerals brush instead of the sponge, this is a great foundation and worth the money over time.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2009 7:20:00 PM More reviews by delsan19

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This is my favorite makeup!! It's like bare minerals, but so much better & not messy. Gives a flawless but not cakey look. Be careful. A little goes a long way & that's another great thing about it. I got mine at Christmas 7 still have about half left. I apply it with the sponge applicator. LOVE THIS STUFF!!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/8/2009 9:24:00 PM More reviews by Msmimi724

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is by far the worst foundation I have ever tried. It actually has more bismuth than any other mineral foundation. If you acne prone oily skin run from this product. I had to learn the hard way about bismuth - after using this and BE mineral make-up it took a year to straighten out my skin with the help of a dermatologist. Both of these products are loaded with bismuth aka rat poison. I never had any acne until I used these 2 products - resulted in awful cystic acne.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No