July 30, 2014 | 2039 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No 5 Sensual Elixir

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2007 10:43:00 AM More reviews by janebkrn

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

A softer version of the straight up #5. Like being wrapped in a cashmere shawl scented with #5.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2007 4:25:00 PM More reviews by Jaimee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am definitely in the minority here. I didn't like this at all. Never was a huge fan of the original No. 5 and I liked this one even less. Way too musky for me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2007 4:14:00 PM More reviews by Kelly9

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tested this on my wrist yesterday at Saks, and have to agree that if you never fell for the original No. 5 but aren't willing to give up on it, you might prefer the Sensual Elixir. Lovely bottle, as with all Chanel products.

While not an unpleasant fragrance, I found it to be too heavy on the vanilla for my taste, and after a while that was all I could detect. I could see a lot of resemblace to Allure in the drydown. And, unfortunately, I woke up with a rash on my wrists where this was applied.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2007 8:43:00 PM More reviews by ginnygordon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I must admit I am not much of a fan of No. 5 EDT. When first sprayed it smells almost like bug spray to me. However, I was told that the EDP, perfume and elixir all smell slightly differently and I completely agree. The EDP is much better, and more powdery; I haven't smelled the perfume yet. I was told that the elixir was designed to smell 'dried down' right from the start, instead of going through phases like most frangrances. I think this is apt - it does seem to smell the same when I first apply it and hours aferwards. However, it does smell different than the EDT and EDP at any time; better, in my opinion. I am becoming very interested in fragrances lately and wear a different one practically every day, but I always apply some elixir before bed. My advice is that even if you don't like the EDT, you should give the elixir a try. (I also adore the bathing powder and am very excited to try the new Eau Premiere).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2007 3:22:00 PM More reviews by fly66

I went into Nordstrom's to purchase No. 5 for my grandmother's birthday. While waiting for my purchase to be wrapped up I took a whiff of Elixir and I was hooked. It smells just as beautiful when you first put it on as when it dries down and hours after that. Flowery, creamy, soapy, fizzy...Love the classic bottle and the staying power.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2007 9:22:00 PM More reviews by ThreeLeaves

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Wow...I always thought Chanel No. 5 was a classic for good reason but this blows the doors off! So amazing. When I first saw the ad for it a couple of years ago I thought it was just a gimmick, but then I read some of the reviews here and had to try it. So glad I did! This is the modern way to wear No. 5 -- fresher and more natural smelling than the original. Love the bottle with the stopper, though I'm a little nervous I'll forget to close it all the way. Well done, Chanel!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/29/2007 7:28:00 PM More reviews by luv_bug

EDIT: THIS WAS LIKE MY "GATEWAY" SCENT INTO THE REAL THING. NOW THAT I'VE GOTTEN USED TO THE ALDEHYDES IN THIS, THEY AREN'T ENOUGH. I MUST HAVE THE ORIGINAL NO. 5 EDP! This is simply one of the most beautiful scents in my collection. The first few moments after application are pure nose-tickling aldehydes, which over the course of about an hour soften into, first soapy white flowers and, finally, creamy vanilla touched by woods. The aldehydes do recede into the background, but they never disappear fully, lending the whole composition a frothy fizziness--like an ice-cream-and-pink-champagne soda. It is undeniably feminine. Pure pleasure to display, wear, and sniff.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2007 1:45:00 PM More reviews by valerieLynn

I purchased this yesterday, due to the reviews on this board. It is a warm and nice long lasting fragrance. The staying power is great, and the drydown reminded me of powder. The only thing that I do not like is the packaging. I would purchase this again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2007 9:48:00 AM More reviews by lillie_munster

Classic, classy, sexy, elegant, timeless.
Not always but forever.
This, for me, is femininity in a bottle and the best formulation imho is the Sensual Elixir. It is, as it says, the very elixir of No.5's ingredients and blooms on my skin like i have worn the EdP for several hours about 15 minutes after applying. Vanilla and amber are stronger, jasmine, too. Some soapy rose. The sensual freshness of clean women's skin. You just want to come hither and put your nose to her downy neck.
Am i the only one to get cinnamon from it after about 10-12 hrs.? Lovely! And the bottle! Easily the most beautiful bottle in my collection. Modern but still retro-60ies-chic, with its thick transparent glass and the square engraved stopper, a piece of art itself.

Also the bath oil gives a very pure impression of the scent. Even more soapy rose here.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2007 4:00:00 PM More reviews by atlantaz3

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had not purchased Chanel scents prior to this one - they were too heavy and old fashioned for me. This scent is light almost powdery, very soft and romantic. My husband gave me the bottle for Christmas. I like the gel as I'm not into perfumes that bruise easily. I wear this to work almost every day, my only reason for one less lipstick is that I think it disappears too quickly, but my hubbie says he can still smell it on me at bedtime -so I guess not!