October 26, 2014 | 1046 users online

Treatments (Face) - The Body Shop - Tea Tree Oil

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2013 5:34:00 PM More reviews by eminem42127

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have bad hormonal acne (due to switching birth control types) and this did nothing to clear up my skin. Looks like you can buy products with a higher content of tea tree oil for much cheaper too. This was definitely a waste of money.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/23/2013 7:22:00 AM More reviews by auliadyahr

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

EDIT: At first, it kind of made the acnes fade. But more frequently and/or regularly I used, it gave rashes and made my skin really dry. I stopped using it, and my skin gets better. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 1/17/2013 2:33:00 AM More reviews by lawgirl07

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product seems to have a lot of reviewers either loving it or hating it! I was a bit iffy about purchasing it because of such polarised reviews but thought I'd give it a try when I got a particularly irritating pimple.
To be honest, I was really surprised. My skin is horribly dry most of the time and usually pretty reactive. It'll be dried out by anything that is even slightly drying and react to anything that has the smallest chance of causing a reaction. So from the numerous reviewers who said the product left them with dry patches and the 'if irritation occurs discontinue use' warning on the bottle, I was very apprehensive and expected the worst.
So the surprise was that I didn't have an episode of contact dermatitis or even get the smallest flake of dry skin. I guess that's a mixture of luck and the product being weaker than expected.
I applied the oil on top of two layers of moisturiser and coconut oil each night and the spot went down in about three days (not much shorter than the usual). I also used in on a few other tiny spots which seemed to have gotten better - but then they usually do that on their own.
All up, I'm giving it a three because it worked ok. Nothing fantastic and it wasn't the magical miracle for me that it was for others. It didn't have any bad side effects but neither did it make any spots magically vanish super quickly and without a trace - (I was left with a tiny scar from the aforementioned spot but I think it may be a bit lighter than usual).

Also, as a massage oil, it was pretty rubbish. The Body Shop website recommends using 6 drops but that was used up over a small area and became quite 'dry' so I had to add coconut oil too. The smell is also not really for everyone - bit too strong for my liking.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/16/2013 7:44:00 AM More reviews by MirandaKirk

I have acne prone, oily, combination skin.
It doesn't work for me. It doesn't make my skin worst but it doesn't make my skin better either. The smell is just, annoying, maybe for some people it's good, but for me, really, I don't like the smell.
I heard a lot of people who find this tea tree oil works, so I think it's worth a try!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/12/2013 1:30:00 AM More reviews by lilyyy69

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

I get a lot of pimples so i will love it for them to heal fast. I thought this will help but it didn't. I was reading the ingredients its only about 15%(not exact) tea tree oil so basically its not 100% tea tree oil which sucks because when i bought this i thought I was buying the real thing. Anyways didn't work on the pimples.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/19/2012 8:06:00 AM More reviews by MariaLee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is really weird. Let me explain why. I got some acne and I put it on them. It dried out the acne along with my good skin. Then 2 weeks later I got new acne, I put it BUT it actually worsened the acne problem, I got more acne by using it. It works if you haven't been using it for a long time. If you use it constantly it increase the acne. I don't know why but now I keep my bottle just to use when I have a very serious acne. For constant use I discovered some real gems in my country, namely: Oxy10 (USA), Prettiean L'Acne (French product produced by STYLECOSMO INTERNATIONAL), Royalsense Acne Gel (Cindamycin (as phosphate) 10mg) produced by Sinphar Pharmaceutical Co in Taiwan.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2012 1:35:00 PM More reviews by jaynew

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am a 36 year old woman who has battled cystic acne for the better part of the past fifteen years. I would get a cyst about every month - or more often - and that would usually result in an awful scar.

Two months ago, I hit rock bottom with my skin. All of the prescription treatments over the years had not worked, so my last option - or so I thought - was Accutane. I called my derm, made the appointment to get Accutane (which I had to wait 2+ months for), and kind of gave up.

In that moment, I decided to scrap all the prescriptions (a medicine cabinet full of them), and try something all natural before giving Accutane a go. I went to The Body Shop, and after chatting briefly with a salesgirl, decided that their pure tea tree oil was worth a try. (She told me that it would help my scarring, which I had never heard associated with tea tree oil before.)

Two months later, I can tell you that this is the ONLY product that has worked for me, and it's AMAZING. My worst areas - t-zone - are resembling normal skin for the first time in fifteen years. Scars are shrinking, healthy pores are reappearing, there's been little to no irritation... honestly, it feels like a bit of a miracle cure. I feel confident about my skin for the first time in my adult years.

I apply it twice daily with a q-tip, and just the other day it dawned on me that I haven't had to deal with a cyst in the two months that I've used it... a first for me, again, in years. I get the occasional small pimple, which I actually celebrate (!) because to me, that's the sign of healthy skin. I never had small pimples before... just gigantic skin infections.

I can't say enough about this product. If you are reading this and you're contemplating taking big invasive steps to resolve your cystic acne, please go out and buy this tea tree oil and give it a try first. I'm not sure if I'm just fortunate that it is working so well for my skin, but I'd like to think that this product has the ability to work wonders for others who have struggled in the same way that I have.

Needless to say, I cancelled my appointment with my derm. :)

Good luck!

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 11/11/2012 1:00:00 AM More reviews by Miooow

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I use this for a week and started to see improvements but sadly I have to stop using it cos it left my skin dry with rough patches!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2012 3:35:00 AM More reviews by awibanez

Ever since I started using this product, my blemishes and pimples got heaps better. i used to break out real bad, the one that grows under the skin, really painful, and doesn't resolve easy. they last forever to heal too and when they do, they still leave marks. i learned about this product and decided to give it a try. i've been using it for 5 months now and my face cleared up! The worst I get now are tiny bumps which doesn't grow to become a pimple and my blemishes are all clearing up now. it's a good product to include in everyday skin care and i'll keep on using this. one bottle ($10 AUD) lasts me less than 2 months.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2012 12:57:00 PM More reviews by Whend1212

This is the first tea tree oil product I've ever used and now I'm a believer! I had a big cyst-like pimple deep under my skin that didn't go away for weeks. Just a few hours after the first application, I noticed the lump became significantly smaller. I was shocked by how fast it worked. I used the oil another three times and after that the pimple completely disapppeared. I've had the same experience when I've applied it to other breakouts. I don't use it daily. I just keep it around when I notice the early stages of a breakout and apply it to that specific area. It really controls the oil and minimizes the breakout. Results can be seen after just one or two applications. It stings a little, but I figure that's just the oil working, the way an antiseptic gel would sting on a cut.