LUSH Jumping Juniper solid

3.9

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Lavender Decoction (Lavendula hybrida), Rosemary Decoction (Rosmarinus officinalis), Juniperberry Oil (Juniperus communis), Lemon Oil (Citrus limonum), Lime Oil (Citrus aurantifolia), *Citral, *Limonene, Perfume, D&C Violet No. 2.

on 3/19/2012 12:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I alternate this shampoo with a drugstore shampoo - this being the more restorative one that I use every other day to remove all the buildup completely. Bar shampoos tend to help strip even more oil than liquid shampoos, so this is great if your liquid shampoo doesn't quite cut it to make your scalp squeaky clean. The lavender scent is lovely, and just gives that extra luxurious touch that I look for in Lush products (after all, this is twice the price of my drugstore shampoo). Highly recommended for extremely greasy scalps!

on 3/17/2012 1:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Overall: 4

Price: 3 ($9.95 CAN)

Packaging: 3

Buy again: yes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to buy this solid shampoo bar because my best friend had been raving about how awesome they were (she loves NEW!) and I've been having issues with my hair, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

When you look at shampoo bars they look like little coloured hockey pucks -- they are 2.25 inches in diameter and about 0.75 inches in height. They fit perfectly into the LUSH solid shampoo tins. I like that there is no actual packaging for this product -- I feel like I'm being very eco-friendly that way. I also like that you're not wasting money on a product that is 50% water, because this is basically a concentrated shampoo. For $10 you get a shampoo that is supposed to last you at least 3 months (shampoo generally lasts me about that long anyway for $4, BUT like I said, 50% of the shampoo you buy at drugstores is water anyway so I feel like I'm getting ripped off).

I like the scent of this solid shampoo -- it smells like lavender but it's not too over-powering. If anything, I wish it was stronger! It doesn't linger in my hair at all, which I'm a little disappointed in... but that's ok.

As far as how I use it: I get in the shower, and wet my hair. I carefully handle the shampoo bar to avoid getting it wet from the shower spray and swipe it on my head a few strokes (left, center, right, back of my head under my hair) and carefully put it back into the tin with the wet side up. I gently start massaging my scalp to get the shampoo into a lather and finger-comb to the ends. I have an oily scalp and need to wash my hair everyday, but even I would find this shampoo drying on the ends of my hair if I used it without conditioner (I failed to use a conditioner the first time I tried this). However, if you need a little moisture, I added a tiny amount of coconut oil to my hair after blow drying and that has left me with shiny and hydrated ends.

I like how compact and simple these solid shampoos are -- I look at my bathroom and see how I have various bottles of shampoos, conditioners, and treatments, and I can see myself just replacing it all with one of these shampoo solids and a little coconut oil or a good conditioner.

My hair is shiny and feels really clean when I use this, and it doesn't dry out my scalp either. I am thinking of trying to create something to kind of separate the shampoo bar from the bottom of the tin, as I worry about it sticking when it dries. When I do that, I'll update this post!

Overall, I'm very happy that I decided to try this shampoo solid and can't wait to try others. It can be a little expensive ($10 for a shampoo + the $4 tin, but you could use anything), but it will last so much longer and is chock full of great quality ingredients and won't have wasteful packaging in the end, so I think it's worth it.

on 3/12/2012 11:34:00 AM

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

This is my fav shampoo.

I have oily scalp, this cleanses without stripping my dry hair, smells really nice and lathers very well. What more do you want from a shampoo?

I'm already into my third or forth bar.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I love shampoo bars! First of all, they last me a lot longer than a regular bottle of shampoo so I find I'm saving money by using them. I also love how well they lather and the fact that there's no packaging involved. I bought Jumping Juniper because I heard it was good for oily hair and it smelled lovely. First of all, this definitely helps control how oily my hair gets. I find I've had less problems that way since using it. However, it sometimes goes too far the other way and leaves my hair feeling dried out so if you already have dry hair don't touch this! Obviously you'll need a good conditioner. I currently use this a couple times a week and use Godiva the rest of the time and find that doing it that way keeps the oiliness under control without drying out my hair too much.

on 3/8/2012 5:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

to me, all the shampoo bars are the same but they are all good for me. they make my hair soft, strong and healthier overall and since using them, have treated my dry scalp.
would repurchase anytime but i don't use them exclusively because they are quite pricey.

on 3/1/2012 11:16:00 AM

i hope i dont end up writing a really big review on this product but i do really want to tell you guys how dissapointed i was with it, i saw these shampoo bars on the lush website and was really excited to use one and they was so highly reccommended and the website made them sound like a magical product that id never discovered yet they are also eco friendly without the packaging and are not tested on animals and as a animal lover i approve on that greatly so i went to the shop the shop assitant advised me to have this one which wasnt the one i was after from the website but i told her my general hair is greasy everyday so she reccommended this i probarly should have mentioned i dye it once a month seeming as im naturally blonde and dye it brown as she might have advise me something else, i used this product for the first time today with i think its the lush veganse something like that, and im really doubting whether to use it again tomorrow,
firstly the shampoo doesnt lather up much in your hair and as my hair is half way down my back i wasnt quite sure if i was using enough,
secondly this is a really bad disadvantage whilst washing away the shampoo i noticed my brown hair dye going down the plug hole with it and it wasnt slightly the water was really running brown well its definitly not excess hair dye because i havent died my hair in about a month now it was definitly stripping the colour from my hair,
thirdly i felt as if i had left it without the conditoner that it would have left my hair really dry my hair is in quite good conditon at the moment after years of cutting and deep conditoning and hate anything thats going to make my hair bad again well iv noticed something since washing my hair earlier ... my scalp has been really itchy and iv noticed dranduff i dont suffer with dranduff nor a senstive scalp i had it before about 5 years ago and since using this once its caused dranduff and now my scalp feels really dry and itchy despite the conditoner,
dissapointed with this and would definitly reccommended re thinking this it might work on your hair but it doesnt work on mine!

on 2/14/2012 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I used to wash my hair everyday because my hair was so oily but then this shampoo dried up my scalp th worst. I got dandruff and stopped using this.

on 2/9/2012 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I want to love it, but I can't. Maybe it's because I have colored and damaged hair because it dried the absolute crap out of my hair. I could not run my fingers through my hair and later on, caused dandruff. I would suggest only to use this if you have very oily hair and non color treated hair. Also, it melted in the shower for me.

on 1/12/2012 2:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a good shampoo for oily hair, but I also think that is because the first ingredient is sulfate. I do have oily hair but I don't mind, but I wouldn't suggest this for people who have color-treated hair. I don't use this everyday because it can be really drying and after I use it I use a hair mask afterwards or a leave-in conditioner. I did buy the square tin but I think it made it worse the edges of my bar are jelly like now. Overall its okay for oily hair but can be really stripping.

on 12/29/2011 8:42:00 PM

I think I may have found my HG shampoo for my oily hair! I've been a big Lushie for years, but I was always skeptical of the shampoo bars. They're so small, so I didn't think they'd last long, I was afraid they'd strip my color, and they just seemed...a little too different than regular shampoo. But I took the plunge and bought this one and I don't think I'm ever looking back!
Jumping Juniper is a pretty purple shampoo bar, which is about the size of a hockey puck. It smells great -- a nice, light, herbal, floral scent. The scent really is light; I barely notice the smell when I'm using it and it doesn't cling to your hair afterwards, so if you don't like the scent I would still say to try it out.
Lush says to wet your hair, wet the bar, and swipe it 3 times through your hair before lathering and rinsing. I have long hair, so I swipe it through about 6 times to get a really good, foamy lather. It rinses clean without leaving any residue or heaviness behind. My hair actually squeaks when I rinse this out; I don't think any other shampoo has ever made my hair so clean!
Since using this, my fine, oily hair has been much, much less greasy. I find that using this as a daily shampoo works better than only using it a few times a week. When I use this regularly, it controls my oil for 1-2 days, which is better than any other shampoo I've tried. It tangles my hair a bit, so I still apply conditioner to the ends to detangle every time I shower. This hasn't stripped the color of my bleached hair, which is also very important. Once dry, this leaves my hair shiny, bouncy, and not at all greasy. I will definitely repurchase after I try out some other shampoo bars from Lush!

Top Rated LUSH Products