Aveda Inner Light Dual Foundation

4.1

mica, dimethicone, silica, zinc stearate, squalane, rice starch, magnesium myristate, murumuru butter, Japanese knotweed root extract, tourmaline, malachite, soybean oil, tocopherol, ascorbyl palmitate, methicone, sodium dehydroacetate, fragrance, linalool, limonene, geraniol, citronellol, methylparaben, propylparaben, [ ± titanium dioxide (ci 77891), ultramarines (ci 77007), iron oxides (ci 77491, 77492, 77499) ]

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

All I can say is... WHY HAVEN'T I TRIED THIS BEFORE NOW? I am amazed, truly amazed by this powder foundation. I have tried hundreds of foundations, and found some that I really liked, but never have I found one quite like this. I use this in shade "Cream" in the winter, and "Aster" in the summer. This covers like a dream, it goes on like silk, effortlessly gives a full coverage, and makes your skin look smooth and silky, absolutly flawless. I usually use powder foundations over a liquid foundation for more coverage, but with this I don't have to, this gives perfect coverage on its own. Another great thing about this foundation, is it doesn't separate on your skin and "crack" or get cakey. This is a mineral powder, but unlike most mineral foundations, this does not give that "glittery" look, it gives a natural matte look. I have very oily skin, and this holds up wonderfully and stays in place all day. I do use oil blotting sheets once or twice throughout the day, but this doesn't budge or rub off on them. I recommend this powder foundation to anyone, I'm in love with it!!! Couldn't be happier!

on 6/9/2010 7:22:00 PM

I wish this foundation had MORE COLOR RANGE! It does provide a good amount of coverage and does blend wonderfully- it is also talc free so if you have issues with talc breaking you out, no need to worry with this one. My biggest complaint is the packaging which won't keep it from flopping around unless you get the compacts that Aveda sells (which is actually much better because it's magnetic and won't have your foundation breaking apart while in the case). I also like the fact that this is enough coverage without giving a caked looked.

on 6/5/2010 6:39:00 PM

I used this foundation for several years, and loved it. It didn't make my skin break out which was good, and it covered all of my acne scars really well. But as of 2010 they changed the formula, and now it has been making my skin go crazy. So I couldn't recommend it now, unless you are NOT prone to acne.

on 12/30/2009 12:10:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse

After trying several liquid and mineral foundations for my acne prone skin, I think we have a winner.

I know some people hate the sponge, but I think it works well with either a brush or sponge. I usually apply a light layer with the sponge first, concentrating on the areas where my post-acne red spots are. Then I use a brush and do a light dusting with it, followed by another light dusting of BE's mineral veil. Apparently you can also apply this with a damp sponge, but I've only done that to cover a single pimple (never on my whole face).

It doesn't oxidize and turn orangey on me or enlarge my pores. I do get a little shiney midday, but that happens with everything I use. Even with the midday shine, this foundation stays put and my skin tone looks misleadingly even. And best of all, after several weeks of use, It doesn't seem to break me out at all.

I will agree that the color selection isn't the best. The lightest color is super pale, and the next color up (Aster?) is almost too dark, but still works with my skin. I can see where some people would have trouble finding a match though, so I definitely recommend trying before you buy.

on 11/4/2009 11:07:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

I really wanted to like this product...but unfortunately, it has joined the growing list of foundations that just don't work for me. I can't even really speak to the coverage/staying power properties of this foundation...I started putting it on my face and realized what a terrible color match it really was for me. Their lightest color looks darn near white on the website, but was a very dark and unflattering orange-y color when I tried it on my face...yuck. For all of you pale girls out there (I'm talking like super pale here), be advised that this may not be a good color match.

Luckily, Aveda accepted the product for a return/refund!

on 9/7/2009 1:15:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Holy. Grail. Foundation. I have used this and nothing but this for the last four years. A friend introduced me to it, and I was initially skeptical because I had never used a powder foundation before. It quickly won me over with it's wonderful, natural coverage. I always get compliments on my skin when I'm wearing this because it allows your complexion to shine through while evening out the inconsistencies. Plus, it feels like you're wearing next to nothing when it's on.

That said, you absolutely MUST use a brush to apply this. Do not use the little sponge that comes in the packaging, otherwise it will look cakey and kabuki-esque. If you don't have the compact, it's really annoying to cart this around because all it comes in is a little plastic container. That's probably my only gripe about it.

I see a lot of reviews have touched on the lack of shade variety, and that is true. I use the second lightest shade, Aster, and I'm pretty fair skinned. Most of the shades are geared towards fair skin, so if you have a darker complexion, you probably won't be able to find a match. If anyone at Aveda reads these reviews, I would implore them to create this foundation in more shades. It's such a great product, and it's a shame that everyone can't enjoy it because of the limited shade selection.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I usually do not wear powder foundation, but since the warmer months were approaching I decided to give Inner Light Dual Foudation in Ginger a try. I absolutely love it because it is not heavy, looks natural, and doesn't break me out. I just wish that the compact wasn't sold separately.

on 5/8/2009 11:04:00 PM

This covers acne beautifully and smells really good too. I would love it if it came in a wider variety of shades. I have fair skin and it just doesn't quite match my skintone very well. The lightest shade is too pale and chalky and the second lightest matches better, but is too pink toned. If it did match my skintone better, I would definately keep using it. My other complaint is the awful packaging. It is just an insert so you have to buy the compact separatly.

This is the only powder foundation that I have found that actually matches the colour of my skin, I have very fair skin so I always use the lightest in whatever makeup I buy, but most of the time it's still too dark. I wear this over top the aveda all sensitive moisterizer, it looks fantastic for about 4 hours then I have to reapply..I don't enjoy reapplying, but I haven't been able to find a makeup that I like more that is the perfect match to my skin, so I will keep buying this as well as other products to see if I can find something better.

on 1/21/2009 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have used this product for about two years now, after switching from Bare Minerals. I couldn't be happier. Applying dry gives moderate to full coverage, without sinking into creases. For an average day, I recommend applying sparingly and adding as needed. Applying wet gives very full coverage, enough for use in my dance performances. If you apply wet, I recommend allowing the pan to dry before you close it up again, otherwise it will harden and it will be difficult to use dry again.

This is also very long-lasting. I can put it on early in the morning, come home after work and then go out at night for dinner or with friends and it rarely needs any re-touching.

Price is the only downside, but I'm willing to let it slide for the quality of the product.