April 19, 2014 | 1781 users online

Treatments - Nail Magic

rated 3 of 5 on 9/6/2011 7:40:00 PM More reviews by stacey0125

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I would have to say that this is by far THE BEST nail hardener/strengthener that I have ever used. And trust me, I have used them all. I decided after having acrylics for almost 15 yrs to take them off and try to go au natural...LOL this was the most frustrating thing I think I've ever done. I tried lots and lots of products that didnt work. But this product I think may just be the last one I need to buy. It is not perfect. So let me start with the bad: The only bad thing about this product is it makes my nail beds burn REALLY bad for about 2-3 hours after I put it on. Sometimes it's almost unbearable. Its the most bizarre thing too. I dont know why they hurt so bad because of this. Also even the next day after I put this on a few of my nails were actually sore and hurt to touch or use. Its almost like its bonding your nail fibers together or something because once it dries your nails are so hard...its crazy! No other nail strengthener has made my nails this hard. Its like I put acrylic over my real nails....thats how hard they are. So that is a good thing because my nails are very weak and thin right now from wearing acrylics for so many years. I really needed something to harden them up so they wouldnt break and they could actually grow. I found it! But this is a little painful to use ...LOL If you are really serious about growing out your nails and dont mind a little pain/maybe a lot of pain...then go for this. I took advil before I put it on tonight....it hurts! GOD I must be crazy but I guess beauty is painful sometimes.

**UPDATE** 09/10/2011

Ok I have to change by previous review from a 4 to 3. This is a great product for giving your nails extra strength, however the main issue I have with this is I CANT use it on my whole nail. It burns something awful. I feel like my nail beds are on fire and there is a horrible pressure feeling like someone is pressing on my fingers with a hammer. The only 3 times Ive used it, it was so bad that within 30 mins I had to remove it will nail polish remover. It also caused a few of my nails to actually seperate from the nail bed and they are still so sore to the touch from that. I have actually found a way to use this that I think will work for me as well as anyone else who had this simliar effect with this product. I went to Sephora (you can go to any beauty supply store) and I bought a very thin eyeliner brush (the smaller the better) and I basically just dip the tip of that (dont dip the whole brush in the polish) into the Nail Magic and very carefully paint that on the TIPS ONLY. I dont get any of the product on my nail bed or any of my skin. If I have nails that dont have tips then I just skip those. After that completely dries I put 2 coats of OPI Nail Envy over it ( I can use this and its great- no burnies) and then if I want to apply polish then I wait for the Nail Envy to dry and I do my nails as normal. This has been good and has really given my tips an amazing strength that they didnt have before. No breaks or chips since I starting doing it this way. I will update if the results prove not successful-but so far so good!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/29/2011 1:51:00 PM More reviews by KittyKidee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

hmmm.. well... i'm one of the people that got the burnies from this. i have never had anything like this happen! now, true i have insanely sensitive and reactive skin (when i say that, i feel like i'm radioactive and i glow in the dark, hehe), but only around my eyes from having eczema prone skin.. any other non-eczema area of mine is pretty resilient.
I have bitten-to-the-bone nails a few months ago and suddenly had growing-like-weeds nails attributed to a medication i'm on (no, not prenatals). after years of biting, they were coming in all thin and translucent and i used nailtiques for a while. nailtiques did great. made them healthy and the free nail is finally opaque. the thing is, in my family we have genetically thin nails and i believe nailtiques just got my nails to where they would be if i hadn't bitten them. healthy-ish but still pretty thin and flimsy.
Enter nail magic. now, right before i used it i had ripped my middle finger nail and used orly nail rescue (which is AWESOME! review to come). so i definately think i over buffed that nail. when i put on nail magic it hurrrrrt! my just fixed midde finger, both ring fingers and pinkies. it's too coincidental that the only fingers that ached were the over buffed middle nail, and i will def admit that my ring and pinkies are very thin and grow goofy so i probably over buffed them too. (hey.. gimme a break. i'm new to having nails so i still make mistakes. i'm learning.. this was surely a painful lesson on the virtues of gentle buffing). Anyways, those fingers were sore, throbbing, and burning.. it kinda felt like the nail beds were swelling. i was mad as fork cuz the nails that didn't burn were soooo strong and hard! so i took off the polish and with a little playing around i found a technique that worked great. so, for people who got the burnies and, like me, are crazy enough to still want to use this..
-1) put a base layer of nailtiques on (or whatever hardener/strengthener/whatever you like and doesn't hurt you)
-2) get some cuticle oil and using a thin brush (i used the sally hansen pink pen like tube) with the brush kinda fanned out just press it into the edges around the nail and, if you want, over the nail bed but NOT the free edge (i only did the nail bed on the nails that hurt [pinkies, rings, one middle])
-3) apply nail magic on the free edge ONLY and don't go allll the way down. leave a millimeter between the free end and the nail bed
-so, you do need to have a little pre-existing white tip to do this and really, i'm sure you can skin step one and two and just put the nail magic on the tips. i only did the extra steps for extra safety and because i wanted something shiny and (hopefully) healthy on the rest of the nail.

I hope this helps. this was all done last night and, as of today, other than a little residual achyness, my nails are tip top and the tips are hard and strong. of course, if i notice any more burning and pain today i will remove this cursed magic and never use again.. hmm.. i have been meaning to out try swap on here.. this would just have to come with a HEAVY "caveat emptor". I will update if that happens. if not, we can assume the nail magic on the tips only worked for me. good luck ladies (and gentlemen)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2011 6:59:00 PM More reviews by makeupjunkie182

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My all time favorite nail strengthener! I've used sooooo many nail strengtheners in the past! OPI never helped, and I've basically used every Sally Hansen product and none of them really worked like nail magic has!

when i first used this i had very weak, thin, soft nails. My nails would grow, but they were waaay too thin and would break easily. Nail Magic is my holy grail nail strengthener!

It does take a while though for it to take full effect though! At first it does burn a little bit especially on the cuticles and such, it can also burn on the nail bed. for me it actually kind of made my nail bed achy. I believe this happened cuz this product actually WORKS and was really making my nails stronger! some people may not be able to stand the pain though. personally i was because i was desperate for this product to strengthen my nails.
also you have to follow the directions, such as in the middle of the week apply a second coat of it.

I've been using this for about a year and my nails are strong and thick and grow fairly quickly!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2011 1:01:00 PM More reviews by DropKickAtari

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this from Sally's last fall...and did not use it regularly, thus no review.

Over the past month (yes, that's all), I've been using this product under every mani (and most pedi's, as my dancer feet/nails need extra help) and have had fantastic results. Now, I'm not sure if its a placebo effect or a real miracle worker, but this product has me finally loving my fingernails.

It's a regularly sized bottle, not so differently priced from other treatment options. When I apply I do feel a slight tingle, almost pressure on my nails. Lasts until it dries, which is relatively quick.

My nails have gone from a bendy, weak mess to strong, over the tips of my fingers, gorgeous nails.

I would repurchase again, but the bottle will likely last me awhile :)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2011 9:44:00 AM More reviews by Tina68

This didn't do anything for my nails. Nothing. It peeled off in sheets no matter what I did. Used it as a base, on top of a base, before colour, after colour, as a top coat, under a top coat, over a top coat. Nothing. Won't repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2011 10:40:00 AM More reviews by miomega

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is SO overrated! Maybe in its day it was good but, today, with so many better, more effective products out there, it is a joke and a waste of money. It did nothing for my nails, and whatever shine it gave did not last.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2011 12:05:00 PM More reviews by underage

This really is magic! I've only been using it for a week as a basecoat and top coat and my nails are harder, longer, and healthier! Can't wait to see what it does after a month of use! Took one lippie away because it contains harmful ingredients but I don't plan on using this as a long term product.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/29/2011 2:39:00 PM More reviews by a2bbb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

my nails: dry, brittle, peeling

This product: helped my nails grow made them a little bit strnger but if you put to much it stings your nail bed below your nail for hours. Literlly i was in shock with how badly, now numb my finger felt. I've used ti for about a year and a half now. Still looking for something 'great'.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/3/2011 5:04:00 PM More reviews by Bfarris89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Hoooooly Cow!!! After having acrylics for years my nails were very unhealthy and paper thin so I purchased Nail Magic which was recommended to me by a store associate. After applying the regiment, my nails started burning so bad that it was unbearable!! Immediately I started looking at reviews and found that others had experienced the same outcome with this product. After about an hour of thinking the pain would go away I removed it with finger nail polish remover and instantly felt better! I also see many people who are satisfied with this product but Iím undecided if I will give it another shot once my nails have healed.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2011 6:55:00 PM More reviews by Kunko

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Other

I love this product! I have always had nails that flake and break off if they grew even a little bit past my nail bed. I have tried the OPI nail treatments, and they have failed me miserably and was a waste of money.

So after seeing some good reviews on youtube I took the plunge and bought it. Just as a warning the first time I tried it my nails HURT like it was a mild burning sensation for the first few hours. The next time I tried it, it didn't hurt, so maybe that was the formula showing me just how weak my nails were? After using it once a week for a few months I had wonderfully strong and long nails that were the envy of all my friends, I was constantly asked if they were fake.

I would recommended this product to anyone who is trying to grow out their nails and having a hard time doing it, but just a warning if you have really weak nails like I did it will burn and hurt the first time you use it.

P.S. - they have a new "natural" formula I'm currently trying out to see if it is any better.

UPDATE: So I have been using the "natural" formula and I have to say don't waste your money on it, my nails went back to breaking and chipping so it wasn't worth it, just stick to the original formula if you want results.