Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - Original

4.3

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Very good stuff. Been using it for years despite the price it lasts a realllllyyyyy long time!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

It's a good product BUT. Warning: don't use very much! Like, only use the tiniest amount possible especially if you use it under your eyes to stop your concealer from creasing (the main reason I bought it because I have horrible dark circles and need my concealer to stay in place). So I used a pretty small amount the first time I used it and when I blinked my eyelashes stuck to my skin- it was so bad and I had to wash it off. Now I know to only use as little as possible.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is a great eyeshadow primer. When I'm in a rush and need my shadow to stay 90% in place all day I use this alone.

However when I'm going to a wedding, big event, or it's a hot day I put this on first and then my MAC paint pot in painterly on top and your eyeshadow WILL. NOT. BUDGE. I'm talking, you have to wash your face 2 times and then use makeup remover to get it all off, and even then it can still be on there. So yeah, that combo is heaven.

Although again I do use this on its own very often, and it's still very good as is. HG, 5/5.

After a brief stint with the ELF Eyeshadow Primer, I invested in the Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer and never went back. It's completely worth the investment if you want to keep your eyeshadow looking fresh all day. Why put in all the time and effort in the morning if it's just going to wear off after a couple hours?

My only tip for this primer is to make sure that you warm it up between your fingers before application. Sometimes if I don't do so, the primer gets a little blotchy once it dries. However, it's nothing too major since the eyeshadow covers it up anyway.

Since you only need the tiniest amount of primer with each application, it'll last you a couple years at the least. It's definitely worth the money!

Although I've only ever tried one other eyeshadow primer (ELF), I don't see myself switching any time soon. I love this stuff! I don't wear too many eyeshadows anymore, but I do a cat eye almost everyday. I used to have a problem with the eyeliner flaking, fading, transferring, etc, but not anymore. As a frequent rock concert goer, I was surprised to find that my liner still looked flawless, even after being in a mosh pit. I also work retail, and don't have time for touch ups, so you could imagine this holds up for my work days as well. This is basically magic in a tube. I'm stuck on UD Primer Potion for life!

I have the original purple version of this in the squeeze tube - which in my opinion is the best packaging for this product. I got it for $10 a tube at Sephora - which I thought was a great price.

Love this primer - doesn't add color - just keeps my shadows in place and true. I use this a lot with matte shadows and it really makes the colors pop and stay bright, which is great.

Lasts all day long. Also nice for a light-makeup day where you don't want your lids to be shiny - just apply this and go on about your day.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

It's a good primer but not great (I actually prefer the one from ELF - Fergie line for about a 1/4 of the cost).

Makes my eyelid more tacky so my eyeshadow and liner can better adhere and easier to blend but I realized that there is a slight color to the formula that interferes with my base eyeshadow color. It's subtle but still there and I'd rather this be a completely color free formula like the ELF. Looks odd close to the inner corner of my eye as my skin tone is a light/medium tone.

As for the cost, even though it may cost $20 or more, it does last for a very long time so I consider this a bargain if it works well for you. Have not reached the end of the tube yet so can't validate what others say about it being difficult to get to the last dregs of the product but I'd recommend getting a pair of pliers, squeezing the last of the formula into a smaller container (maybe a small sample lotion jar or a free one from your dept store) and you'll probably squeeze enough out for another few weeks.

With the new packaging (wand instead of squeeze tip), the contents get lesser and the price, higher!! I dislike the wand tip as its causes product contamination. However it is still the best eyeshadow primer imho. I've tried others and they never made my eyeshadow stay 12 hours like this one has!

To clarify, I have the bigger tube of primer potion in the squeezy tube. This method of packaging is WAY better than the little genie tube it used to come in. I love this product so so so much. I wear it every single day, even if I'm not wearing eyeshadow because I love the mattifying properties for my oily eyelids. Holy grail product!

It's annoying how pricey this stuff is but it does last forever and it works better than ANYTHING else. Eyeshadow can last for days if need be. Nordstrom rack carried it for a while at half price, but unfortunately I haven't seen it back there in forever, I should have stocked up!

Video Reviews & Tutorials