October 22, 2014 | 1030 users online

Treatments - Creative Nail Design - Solar Oil

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2011 2:40:00 AM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Let me first say, that this product did work quite well for my cuticles. I wash my hands a lot and this helps keep everything soft and supple and my nails did not break as much. I thought it was the most amazing product ever, until I looked at the ingredients. I was so ashamed of myself for not doing that first. I've been trying to keep myself from spending too much money and make things myself or at least find alternatives. But this is SO EASY to make. I'm sorry to Solar Oil, but this is not worth that kind of money! I keep half those ingredients in my kitchen anyways, so I put some in an empty nail polish jar. Here's my solution. I empty out an old nail polish bottle (fill the bottle with nail polish remover, clean out extra bits with a Q-tip) and use that to store the liquid since it's helpful to "paint" it on. The I funnel:
1 tbs Sweet Almond Oil (I cook and use as moisturizer sometimes)
1 tsp Jojoba Oil (I have an teeny jar of it)
1/2 tsp Rice Bran Oil (I also use it as a base for my homemade scalp exfoliant)
3 drops Lemon Essential Oil (for smell and it's always around because I use it in my homemade cleaning products)
All in all, I think it costs me around $1 to make myself. Thanks Solar Oil for a good recipe, but I think I'll stick to making my own from now on. It's not a bad review, just a very neutral one.

20 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2011 3:45:00 PM More reviews by canadian

I had a manicure recently and decided to buy a mini bottle of this cuticle oil. I love it! It's kept my cuticles and outer skin moisturized, keeping the hang nails at bay. I plan on buying the larger size bottle when I'm finished.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2011 9:51:00 AM More reviews by One1Cherry

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have horribly peeling skin around the sides of my nails that apparently "shocked" one of my friends enough to comment on them. I decided to "do something about it"

I got this to try after hearing a rave review somewhere. And i love it. It really works. I love the light almondy scent and the oil absorbs very quickly. It comes in a nail polish bottle with a brush that to me is quite unhygenic, all the redipping.

After sometime i stopped using it out of sheer laziness. I hate the process of brushing it on each nail and massaging it in. I much rather do that together with my hand cream than to use a separate product just for the cuticles.

This is a fantastic product if you don't mind the hassle.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/30/2011 9:05:00 AM More reviews by ibrusat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Very effective product. The oil dries out very quickly, but does not dry out the cuticles (unlike a rubbish product by OPI I have used previously). When used constantly it makes a massive difference to the cuticles: leaves them moisturised and in great condition. I can use it during the day and before I go to bed - it does not leave any oily residue. 4 lippies due to the price (outrageous!) and the difficulty to find it. I bought it on amazon in the end as I struggled to find it. Excellent product.
** Worked very well at the beginning. After a month of use I do not see any results anymore. Cuticles are still dry and it does not make any difference whether I use this oil or not. Disappointing.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/23/2011 12:43:00 AM More reviews by sammin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

s a consequence of my newfound interest in keeping my hands nicely manicured, and after three months of continuously using nail colour, I looked down at my hands the other day to find the uppermost layers of my nails peeling off. I thought of buying a bottle of OPIís Nail Envy, but decided against it when I read the ingredient list ó although I am no nail professional, I fail to see how formaldehyde in any concentration can fix brittle, peeling nails.
Enter Solar Oil, a mini bottle of which has been kicking around my beauty collection for several years. I received it as part of a nail care kit some time ago, but never knew what to do with it. I donít have cuticle problems, and it wasnít a top coat or base coat, so it lay there, neglected, unopened. After doing some research on how best to repair unhealthy nails (it seems that my particular problem is a symptom of extreme nail dryness), I came across legions of beauty enthusiasts raving about the benefits of Solar Oil. ĒIs that what Iíve got at the very bottom of that drawer, that one where I toss all the beauty products (admittedly, not that many) which failed to keep my interest, or have outgrown their usefulness?Ē

All this to say, that Solar Oil really is that good, if one more positive review is all you need to convince you to try the stuff. I slapped on four coats before my nails seemed adequately hydrated ó they soaked it up like a dry sponge. It smells good for you too, with a sweet almond oil scent and no hint whatever of the typical chemical smell attached to most nail products. The question becomes now, what base coat I should be using, instead of the Zoya Anchor Iíve been applying. Ah, beauty research, my favourite kind.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2011 10:30:00 PM More reviews by celinei

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this oil - it has made a huge difference in my cuticles repairing themselves and staying moisturized. I dont like the smell - almonds, but i can get by it for the oil's benefits. Love it way more than others i've tried, esp. OPI's Avoplex.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2010 4:19:00 AM More reviews by JessicaLaine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

LOVE. Pure. Love. ! Great scent, not to expensive, doesn't leave a greasy film over nails or cuticles like all other oils.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/26/2010 8:57:00 PM More reviews by adudle00

Overall this is a nice cuticle oil. I've been using this and California Mango cuticle oil (one on each hand) for about a week and haven't noticed a difference between the two yet. I would consider repurchasing this if I ever ran out.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/19/2010 9:10:00 PM More reviews by artemis513

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am very pleased with this product. I apply Solar Oil underneath my nails and onto my cuticles about twice a day or so (and after I finish my mani). Usually after I have washed my hands [or after shower]. I think that with oil, it's best to apply after washing hands, since oil is an occlusive moisturizer (meaning it seals in moisture/water that's already present). After applying the oil, I then put on hand cream and let it all soak in. I've read on the Nail Board that for some people, this product has dried out their nails, but I suspect they may have been using this on already dried out nails...Anyway, I have noticed that my nails are stronger and more flexible, even when I am not wearing polish, so that tells me that this Solar Oil is doing its job, so because of that I will use this and will buy again when I run out.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2010 4:57:00 PM More reviews by CleverRabbit

Solar Oil is such a crucial element in achieving and maintaining good nails and cuticles.
I love it and swear by it!

It's best used twice a day or more. Preferably once during the day and then just before bed. Ideally: have bottles everywhere! On your bed side, in your bag, in the car, on your desk. Everywhere! Apply it frequently especially after washing your hands. Dab or brush a little onto each cuticle and massage in small circles with the pad of your thumb. This pushes the oil into the skin and the nail benefits from the massage as it stimulates the nail matrix, encouraging healthy nail growth.

I've got more on this and other beauty products on my blog: