BeneFit Cosmetics Play Sticks Concealer, foundation and powder all-in-one!

3.7

on 8/27/2011 12:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I LOVE this product sooo much.
It's creamy, and has a beautiful finish.
I reccommend you get a colour match at your local benecounter!
It's long lasting and wearing.
doesn't clog pores and doesn't have a scent.
It's perfect and I <3 it.
I highly reccommend this product :D It is a staple in my make up box!

What Benefit say -

"A cream to powder foundation stick that helps promote a healthy complexion while giving natural-looking coverage. Scribble in any fun shape and blend for a satin-matte finish."

Pros:

- Full coverage (covers redness and eye bags)
- Very creamy
- Good range of colours for fairer skin ladies
- Glowy finish
- Nice packaging

Cons:

- Too expensive (£25.50)
- Drying
- Can sink into fine lines
- Not natural looking (you need to add contour afterwards)
- Transfers if you don't set it

Full Review -

Ok, I have a love-hate relationship with this product, so I had a difficult time rating it. Let me tell you why... I first started using the playstick when I was 18 years old, I'm 24 now and I'm still using it... that should mean Holy Grail, right?

I have a lot of redness in my face that needs correcting, but my skin was always great until the age of about 22. So from 18-22 this product was my best friend, it covers EVERYTHING, but my god, when I hit 22, my skin suddenly dried up, and I could hardly use this product. GUTTED! This foundation flakes like hell if you have dry skin, its not moisturising enough (I have heard opposite reviews for this, saying that people would rather use it in the winter, because its quite oily, but in my experience it's completely the other way around).

Nowadays, I can use this product in summer, and its a GREAT concealer, on days when my eye bags are the worst, nothing else will do it. In relation to Benefit's claim that is gives natural looking coverage, I'm disagreeing - this is one of the heaviest coverage foudations I own. But I DO agree with the healthy glow that it promotes, considering just how heavy the coverage is. You do need to set it also, otherwise it transfers a bit, which can add to the heavy feeling of the foundation. I would suggest using a primer with this, and any heavy cream foudation; the playstick wont cake up, but it with flake if you aren't moisturised, and it will settle into fine lines after a while if you don't prep.

Final Thought:

I will probably always buy this product, although I am using it less and less, it's great for younger skin, and a brilliant heavy duty concealer. If you have problematic skin though, on the dry side especially, steer clear.

on 8/25/2011 10:54:00 AM

I didn't actually buy this product in the end, I travelled from Huddersfield to Leeds specifically to buy this product as I had it recommended to me.

I ended up being massively disappointed, during my 'makeover' with a benefit sa i noticed her own makeup was caked in her fine lines making her look much older than her 27 years (this was first concern).

Anyway she used porefection as a base then applied benefit play stick in 'spin the bottle' colour with 'sugarbomb' over the top...when I first looked in the mirror the foundation colour looked orangey when I had told her I wanted to match my own skin colour as much as possible.

I decided to continue my shopping to see if I would change my mind after wearing the makeup a while but as time went on the foundation began to sink into my fine lines too (i'm only 23 so don't have many) and drawing attention to them made me feel really self conscious. I have never known a foundation to do that before it was perhaps because it was a cream foundation, but in the ended I hated the look and feel of it. Would not recommend or try again.

on 8/9/2011 3:44:00 PM

I love love love this foundation stick! It is creamy, easy to blend and dries quickly without a cakey feeling. Combined with a tinted moisturizer, it makes my skin look flawless and it super easy and fast to apply in the mornings. It's also portable so you can just toss it in your bag and do touchups later during the day (though this product stays on for a long time so there really is no need!)

on 6/16/2011 6:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

After the Bobbi Brown stick foundation gave me skin like a diehard meth user, I was really loathe to use the Benefit product. (Spin the Bottle color)
So, I prepped my face, opened the stick and saw that it was shiny in the tube. I wasn't prepared to think good thoughts about the product. I swiped a few swatches here and there and let them sit for a little bit to warm up and make them spreadable, and blended them with a Beautyblender sponge. The first thing that came to mind was how much this stuff smelled like a Noxema product LOL But the product itself was amazing: it just melted and blended into my skin and a little bit of this stuff spreads far and wide! The color match was dead on. I liked everything about the product....except...

It was exceptionally shiny and no amount of Halo or Tarte Smooth Operator could tame the shine. It actually looked a litlte greasy after a few hours. I'm sending the stick back just for that.
HOWEVER, in wintertime when my skin is a dried up mess, I think this stuff will be perfect. So I'm making a note to try this again in wintertime. Honestly this foundation feels like a barrier between my skin and the elements and something like that would probably work very well for me when I'm outside during the cold dry months. Powder-Schmowder in winter!

on 6/2/2011 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I am always on the hunt for a foundation that will last all day without becoming an oily shiny mess by lunchtime. Usually I do my research online but I got lazy and let the SA at Sephora take the wheel. She picked out the Play Sticks in Paper Dolls, and I have to say, the color match was perfect and at first I really liked the stuff. After a month or so the honeymoon ended and the Play Sticks was melted off my face by noon. I do like the convenience of the packaging though; it felt expensive and it fits perfectly into my purse. I still use it from time to time for touch ups, but I never did get through the whole tube because I had to give up and start my quest for an HG foundation all over again. Overall, I'd say stay away if you are shine-prone but otherwise this stuff may work for you.

on 5/28/2011 4:13:00 PM

I went to Sephora after I got a spray tan to get a new foundation for prom since mine were all too light. I wanted a liquid foundation but the SA (who was dumb and bitchy) didn't listen and gave me this cream stick. She put it on in the store and I wasn't wowed but it wasn't horrible and I wanted to get out of there. I have combination, sensitive skin but the SA assured me it wouldn't break me out and it would last long. My shade was Tea Party and it did last long but broke me out horribly! It has a nice green tea scent but when you apply it your face gets a dry and dead appearance. I wouldn't be so mad at how much it broke me out if the SA swore it wouldn't, I am returning this ASAP and going to get what I originally wanted, a liquid foundation.

on 5/18/2011 6:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I was recommended this in 'Paper Dolls'. I was sure it was too dark but it blends nicely into my skin-tone. The coverage is quite heavy but it's fine for winter.
I mostly use a primer with it but it still needs topping up at about midday and the packaging makes it awkward to apply as I feel as though applying the product straight from the 'stick' onto your face isn't hygienic OR easy. Best applied onto a brush, applied to the face and blended with a damp wedge sponge.
My main problem was how badly it made my dry patches show up, I told the makeup artist at Boots I had dry skin when I was asking for help choosing a foundation and she told me to make sure to moisturize properly before using it, so clearly she had no understanding of dry skin problems, as this is quite obviously for normal-to-oily skin.
I don't regret trying this foundation but it's not great and I don't use it often (maybe I will in the Summer when my skin becomes less dry.)

on 4/20/2011 2:38:00 PM

have been buying play stick fondation for four years now and up until recently would swear by it as my HG fondation! It gives an absolutely flawless coverage that will cover all blemishes and flaws, whilst still feels velvet to touch, luminously light reflecting and moisturising on the skin. On the down side, It is thick in its texture but not at all cakey. The thickness is probably what causes it to lay on the skin rather thabsorb in, which causes the problem of it being quite slidey i.e. if i brushed my face against a material it would budge, or got sweaty, but stays put otherwise! this is why i will be pursueing a lighter weight foundation sadly. Although i still may not be able to let this one go! Even with buying a new fondation i may still need a dot of this godsend here and there, as you would be amazed with what it can do!

on 3/16/2011 5:05:00 PM

Its so good how this gives good coverage and has green tea in it. But i use jumprope and it is a little dark for my skin so whenever i use it i can only use a bit, the lighter shade than this was too light so i just wish that there was a more variety in colours. I think its slightly over priced and slips off easily. :-/