Cover Girl Eye Enhancers Trio - Shimmering Sands

4.3

on 11/7/2012 12:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

My favorite neutral pallete! Slap me twice and call me Sally, but I think I like this one more than Walking on Eggshells. The two are relatively similar, but to me, Shimmering Sands is a bit less chalky (WoE isn't that chalky, but SS is less so), has a better brown shade, and it has a huge winner of a highlighter shade. No, seriously, the highlighter is what makes this palette for me. It's SO versatile! I use it on my brownbone, down the bridge of my nose, under my eyes, and even on my cheekbones (I apply it with a blush brush there). It lasts ALL DAY.
Some cons, though: The packaging is balls, and the six dollar price tag is more or less evident of just paying for the name- the packaging and amount of product don't warrant any higher than about three bucks. Something else that might be a con, but doesn't bother me: these shadows are very shimmery. I mean, one should expect that due to the palette's name, but ya know. I prefer shimmery shadows (they make my eyes seem more three-dimensional than with mattes), but others may not like the shimmer.
Other than my little gripes, this palette is goshdang wonderful. Totally worth a shot!

on 10/15/2012 5:50:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I am a blue eyed NW10 (NW20 when tanning from a bottle).

This is a cool toned palette, which looks nice on my blue eyes. However, the shadows are too soft and blend out to the same shade. Hardly any pigmentation. Same issues as with the Cafe Au Lait trio.

on 10/12/2012 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Beautiful cool toned everyday neutrals:

-Left shade is the warmest of all 3, bronze brown with gold shimmer
-Middle is a soft taupe, with silver shimmer (most wearable for me)
-Right is a pearlescent pink, appears silver on me

I use the Left in my crease & outer v, the middle as all over lid & right as a higlight under my brows & inner tear ducts. I've used the Left shade under my lower lash to smudge as liner, the middle shade alone as a wash of color, & the right on the bridge of my nose & cupids bow so MULTI FUNCTIONAL.

When I first tried this trio I was disappointed at the pigmentation & wondered how tan/dark skin girls raved of it since it barely showed on my NC25 skin. Then I realized its meant for a daytime, soft, barely there look, to enhance effortless beauty. If your looking for a smokey, bang, cut crease look this isn't for you. This palette has grown on me & I keep it in my purse/car to touch up & get a quick polished look. 3 simple shades in 1, very handy!

on 10/9/2012 7:32:00 PM

The colors are pretty but they are not pigmented at all. I was not a fan of this trio. Sorry CoverGirl.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This is a great trio for beginners and pros!
The three colors make a great neutral look. This was the first eyeshadow trio I've ever purchased and I've used up two trios of this! The light color is a great highlight and inner corner color. The middle shade was my staple, it's great alone and on the lid and blended in the crease for a more natural day. The darkest shade is a great crease and outer V color. It's not as pigmented and smooth as the other two but still workable.

Reccomemd to anyone:)

on 9/4/2012 10:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I really love this palette. I feel like this would be pretty on anyone no matter what age, from a girl getting her first makeup to a grandma! Also great for any occassion because you can make it really light and natural for school or work, and add more of the darker shade in the crease and add some more dramatic eyeliner and falsies for a night out. This is just such a great simple palette that is good for anything. I highly reccomend it for Anyone! And it's so inexpensive and easy to get your hands on. LOVE IT!

on 8/31/2012 12:34:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Let me start by saying this is a staple in my make up collection. This is definitely my "go to" look. I use this palette virtually everyday. I am a make up artist at Sephora, and I have the Naked Palette, have tried countless high end eye-shadows, and this is personally one of my favorite trios. Yes, the colors aren't packed with color, but that's the beauty of this little palette. It's natural looking, the perfect amount of sheen, not packed with chunks of glitter but not matte - I like to think of the colors in this as illuminating. I have literally been using this palette since I was 14 and when I first started wearing eye-shadows. I have bought this palette at least 20 times, and I'm not even exaggerating. There's a good reason behind that! I find this palette to have great pigmentation, but perhaps that's because I have a lighter complexion (NC 20 for reference, 150 Buff in Revlon ColorStay) but even when I'm at my darkest (NC35) I think this palette has a great amount of color in it. I find that the key for darker complexions is to use a paintpot, or an eye primer that kind of erases your lid or is the same color as your skin tone to get the full potential color payoff. I've used this plenty of times without a primer though, and what I do to get the most pigment is I literally use my finger and dip it in the middle shade, and pack it onto my lid and it looks beautiful. The lightest shade has got to be my favorite shade of this palette and probably the reason I have repurchased it so many times, it's a peachy toned frosty highlight color. I use this color with EVERY make up look that I do. Whether it's in the inner corner, or my highlight, I always use it underneath my lash-line because the pinky tone really brightens up my eyes. The colors last all day and do not crease. The darkest color is actually so pigmented that I barely tap my blending brush into it and it gives me crease a lot of dimension because of it's sheen, and it really is a deep brown. This is my all time favorite Covergirl product and is my Holy Grail of Covergirl eye-shadows. It makes my everyday look sexy, but natural and it takes only a couple of minutes to complete - perfect for early morning rushes, or for school and work.

on 8/30/2012 11:37:00 PM

Finally bit the bullet and bought the infamous Shimmery Sands trio in the latest Cover Girl packaging (the slim flat grey rectangular compacts). I'm glad this isn't the first Cover Girl eyeshadow I've ever tried as the line has some small gems here and there. When I swatch this on my hand the colors are lovely basic neutrals, decently pigmented, not too glittery or overly frosty and looks like an eye brightening set of colors... Unfortunately when applied to my eyes, it's just shimmering with no sands. I can keep building on the shimmer and never see much color as if all the shades are really close to the natural colors (and contour colors) of my eyelids... It's bizarre.

I have found that I can make this trio work by playing with various eyeshadow bases (white, bronze, brown, etc). This method will get the colors to show up on my complexion more but unfortunately due to that type of hassle I can't see myself repurchasing this. I can understand the popularity of this trio because it's quite fool proof even if you're not great at application. It probably shows up better on those with super fair complexions or much darker complexions. I'm a MAC NC15/Covergirl Classic Ivory for reference.

P.S. Shimmering Sands is really similar to Wet n Wild "Walking on Eggshells" trio (which is actually a set of shadows I can use with no problems or requirement for colored bases, these two trios don't look that similar in the pan but when swatched on the skin the colors are like sisters). The shades are very similar except the Wet n Wild is a tad frostier however much more pigmented and a few bucks cheaper at $3.

on 8/3/2012 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I had high hopes for this trio since so many people seem to love it, but it just doesn't work for me. The colors look great in the package, but are not pigmented enough. The mid and darkest shades barely show up on me at all.

on 7/7/2012 7:35:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine

Great neutral and slightly cool toned shadows from the drugstore. They are very inexpensive eyeshadows, but they still have good colour payoff. I will definitely repurchase this palette.

Video Reviews & Tutorials