October 1, 2014 | 2028 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Ultimate Sun Protection Cream SPF 55 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2011 10:19:00 PM More reviews by twiggyelf

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

LOVE this product. I always have to have a new tube. It is the only sunscreen that does not make me break out, and I break out at the drop of a hat!! The packaging is not the greatest..sometimes too much product comes out, sometimes not enough. I would much prefer a pump. It is also pricey, but I look past this because of the quality of protection and the fact that it is REALLY non comedogenic.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2011 1:44:00 PM More reviews by bossanovaville

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have a love/hate relationship with this SS. The fact that I use it daily under my make up furthers this feeling. I love that it protects like nothing else I've found so far. A high level SPF with physical sunscreens. I use products with significant levels of acids in them from time to time as well as bleaching products, so I have to have a high level of protection. This certainly protects and does so all day. I love that it stays put, even through swimming and sweating. Maybe it's a bit more performance than I need from a daily SS, but the level of protection is what keeps me from straying.

As for the the things I hate...*sigh*...I also hate that it's long lasting. This stuff doesn't budge. It goes NOWHERE until you take it off. And this stuff does NOT come off unless you use an oil cleanser. I have tried everything, acid cleansers, grainy exfoliating scrubs, heavy cream cleansers, none of those worked. The only things that do work? Olive oil and the Shiseido oil cleanser. Not even my Shu Uemura oil cleanser workd on this stuff! Olive oil is a cheap option but so horribly heavy, once you have the sunscreen removed, you now have to cleanse repeatedly to remove the olive oil. Shiseido's oil cleanser is effective, light and surprisingly rinses away clean, but it's expensive and I don't like feeling like I'm railroaded into using a brand's product in conjunction with another one from its line.

Also, the formula has changed. The very first bottle I bought a handful of years back was amazing. It was much lighter in weight than I anticipated and blended in effortlessly. Now, the formula has been modified to be a bit more "beneficial" or "nourishing" as someone earlier stated. I didn't need this nor want it. I don't expect a SS with such a high level of protection to also offer me added benefits. I want it to do what its mainly supposed to do and do it well. "Nourishing" benefits are great, but not at the expense of the products performance or by sacrificing traits I do like.

The product now goes on feeling like a heavy lotion. It leaves a white cast if I don't blend it very very well. It also leaves my face feeling a bit sticky and tacky. That eventually goes away but it makes things difficult when applying make up. I have to wait a good 20 min. for the stuff to dry before putting anything else on my face. On the flip side, it has never made me break out and it doesn't feel overly suffocating on my skin.

With all of this in mind, I do realize I might fare better with something that is meant to be used everyday. This SS is excellent when I'm outside, on the lake, at the beach, etc. But until I can find something that protects just as well, that doesn't break me out but isn't like applying shrink wrap to my face, I feel compelled to stick with this.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2011 11:54:00 PM More reviews by pgloe16

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

At first, I tried to use this everyday, but I broke out in tiny zits, so it was either too heavy for everyday use or I wasn't cleansing it off very well at night.

However, I do use it when I'm outdoors for long periods of time (beach, hiking, parks) and it's really great. I am pale and burn very easily, but this provides great protection for hours. I applied it once a day on a 5-day hike in the Andes. While my companions all had burnt cheeks and noses, I actually stayed as pale as when I started (yay! no painful burns!)! I don't even have to reapply it as often as I do with body sunscreens. It's gentle and feels light on my skin and works great under makeup.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2011 10:48:00 PM More reviews by tinklemd

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this sunscreen for running and being sweatproof. It certainly does the job. The price is reasonable ($20) for 30ml. Non drying, non oily. I will definitely be purchasing this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2011 1:55:00 PM More reviews by mxhx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I haven't tried too many sunscreens but I really like this. Great for under makeup and doesn't make me feel super sticky. i don't use TOO much b/c I think it'd make me look too light. I got the smaller size and it has lasted me a longggg time. I just bought a new one online so I definitely am repurchasing. I think it's not too expensive for how much it lasts. I also think that the packaging is great b/c you don't have to squeeze the life out of it and it just comes out easily b/c it's facing downwards all the time. I definitely love this. I am repurchasing this on bay for about 7 dollars cheaper so i would look there. first time, i bought it in the store.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/20/2011 6:56:00 PM More reviews by Scratchie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Why on earth did they change the formula? It is now described as "nourishing" and it sure is. I have been using this for 15 years because of it's mattifying effect but now it gives a white cast and turns your face into an oil slick. Not to mention a face full of zigs which I had never experienced with this sunscreen before. If you're looking for a matte sunscreen don't buy Shiseido because it is now an anti aging highly nourishing sunscreen. Shame on you Shiseido.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2011 5:39:00 AM More reviews by ns4487

This is my HG sunscreen. I have tried so many, and this is the perfect one for me. Isnt oily, keeps me matte through the most severe heat, and evens out my skintone. it sinks into my skin like a dream. I would seriously die if this product was ever discontinued...i dont have many HG products, but I will use this forever if Shiseido lets me!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2010 3:49:00 PM More reviews by Lyn8

I really love this moisturizer/sunscreen. Although it is very thick my skin seems to soak it in so nicely. I have been using Eucerin Everday protection for about a year and decided to try the Shiseido based on other reviews. So far I like the Shiseido better. You are getting more sun protection (Eucerin SPF 30) and the feel on the skin is just so much better. It is a little pricey but I'm willing to pay a little more for something I have to wear on my face all day everyday.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/21/2010 1:51:00 PM More reviews by sweetkindoflife

i gave this product 4 lippies so why did i answer "no" when asked if i would buy this product again? the price :(

this sunscreen has a great consistency and goes on smoothly without leaving a greasy residue on your skin so it was pretty hard convincing myself that i could find a good substitute at a cheaper price. however, i've since switched to neutrogena's ultra sheer sunblock dry touch spf 55 and guess what.. it's just as good :) and just for the record..

shiseido: $35 (2 oz)
    neutrogena: $8.99 (3 oz)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/29/2010 5:40:00 PM More reviews by lisalis

I love this sunscreen. So far I think its the best and I've used a few. I have fair skin. This is a thick creamy consistency. It covers really well. If you don't like thick you may not like this. The only thing I don't like is the price. It is very expensive for such a small bottle so I am still looking for a match but at a better price.