August 2, 2014 | 967 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - Ultrabland

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2013 7:46:00 AM More reviews by JasmineJolene

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm really not sure how I feel about this.

The pluses are - I love the texture, it feels lovely on my skin and I enjoy using natural products on my face. When I'm wearing very minimal makeup, I feel like it cleanses nicely.

The negatives are - I don't feel I can get heavier makeup off very easily at all. No matter how much I massage my eyes, mascara (even very light stuff) and eyeliner etc just doesn't come off. If I wear full coverage foundation, I feel it just smears it around. I then have to soap my face twice - once to get the oily residue off, then again to actually clean my face. So in essence, it negates any of the natural goodness of the product.

I bought this as I had used up all my Clinique Take The Day Off Balm, but I kind of wish I'd waited and bought that instead. It might not be all natural, but I can get everything off my face easily and it doesn't leave a hard to wash off residue.

I don't think I'd buy it again although I don't hate it. It's just not for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2013 1:24:00 AM More reviews by mischaa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So when I first bought this, the lady told me that, with my sensitive skin, this would be a great cleanser for me. After trying it, I didn't really find it that great a cleanser... It doesn't really have enough oomph to it. The next day, I gave it a shot just as a makeup remover, and it worked great! I know a lot of people complain about the weird oily layer it leaves over your skin, but to be honest I find that it is a nice little moisturiser :) And if I don't want that moisture layer, I'll just spray some toner water onto my face and wipe it off with a cotton pad, and that does the trick. Besides, I generally clean my skin after that with a different product, to make sure my pores and clean and clear.

There are a bunch of other makeup removers that can do just as good a job as Ultrabland, but I prefer this for it's natural ingredients. Would definitely recommend!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2013 2:28:00 AM More reviews by Evelyn79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I didn't like this at first, because I'm not the type of girl who likes to wash her face with washcloth, but then I realised that I can mix this with my regular cleansing gel and that works just fine! So when I have makeup or sunscreen on, I add this to Clinique's facial soap mild and wash my face with that combination. Works very well!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2013 9:38:00 PM More reviews by murflegirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

LUSH Ultrabland is one of those products that has quickly become a staple for me. It's HG, it's on my Desert Island list, yadda yadda. It's got a great formula of beeswax and almond oil that cuts through makeup without overcleansing my skin. I have combination-dry skin, and it's pretty sensitive. I would use makeup removing wipes to remove most of my makeup, then I would use a cleanser to get the rest. As you could imagine, this left my face feeling less than awesome as it was repeatedly stripped of its natural oils. Enter Ultrabland. I took a sample home, and had to come back and buy it after two weeks because it was so awesome. I put it on my dry face, making sure to massage it in and get all of my eyeliner and (yes, even waterproof!) mascara off. Then I take a washcloth that's been soaking in HOT water and lay it on my face. I leave it on my face for a few seconds, and wipe the Ultrabalm away. I repeat the process until everything is off my face. If you don't use hot water, you won't cut through the beeswax, and you'll have that waxy feeling of something left on your face. Best of all, this cleanser is so gentle that it's actually improved my skin. The mornings after I use it at night, my skin is softer, more clear, and I see fewer red patches and angry areas. As you could imagine, that's why I loved it so much! Plus, the experience of the hot cloth and Ultrabland is SO relaxing, and I look forward to wearing makeup now - just so I can use Ultrabland at night to take it off. :) Definitely pop by LUSH and grab a sample of this one, folks! You won't regret it.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2013 10:09:00 AM More reviews by cah123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This stuff does exactly what it says. It's gentle but removes makeup very effectively and contains so few but lovely ingredients that leaves my skin balanced and calm. In a way it helps with acne through its balancing of your skin but to be honest I've found it just has no effect on my skin other than to remove makeup which is perfect because it means it doesn't worsen my spots but it also cleans so well that it doesn't cause any more. I also find that when I don't use this, I wake up with oilier skin than usual and some whiteheads where my makeup obviously wasn't removed very well.
To use: I massage in to my face a penny sized amount and then steam a couple of times with a warm face cloth. I don't think just using toner would work as well because heat is needed to melt off the waxy product and it could end up clogging your pores. Afterwards I tone with some witch hazel and moisturise with some jojoba. I only use at night because I think it would be too heavy for morning. The ultrabland challenge sounds interesting but I think it woud only have an effect on those with sever acne or those whose skin seems very up and down.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2013 1:17:00 PM More reviews by empresslilah

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I held off on trying this cleanser for years but finally bought a small size a few weeks ago. I love it -- It's effective, hardly has any ingredients, and everything that's in there is pure and natural (almond oil, beeswax, rose absolute, etc.). It's practically ayurvedic. I see that several people have complained about the scent, but I actually find it quite pleasant and non-obtrusive. I don't wear heavy makeup on a daily basis, but I wore foundation, black eyeliner and plenty of black mascara last night and the Ultrabland removed it all very easily. I use a very small amount, like the size of a dime, and rub it in circular motions all over my face and eyes, making sure to gently work it through my eyelashes and break up the mascara. As others have noted, this cleanser can't just be splashed off with water. The best way to remove it is by using large, rectangular cotton cleansing pads, which are inexpensive and easily found at most drugstores. No water needed. You'll see all of your makeup come off along with the Ultrabland on the cotton pads, particularly your eye makeup. And since you're using gentle cotton, you can really get everything off without hurting your face by using a towel. Afterwards, your face should just feel moisturized. For those people who are used to using foaming cleansers and feeling squeaky clean after a face wash, it will take you some time to get used to the feeling of treating your face properly instead of stripping it.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/9/2013 1:33:00 PM More reviews by AnnieP112

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm really unsure how to rate this - first of all, it works really well. It cleans my face just fine and my break-outs have stopped. However, I absolutely hate using it. It smells horrible and is incredibly greasy, it's impossible to wash off with just water so I have to scrub my face with a towel - hard.

I haven't found anything better yet - I'm trying everything to find a cleanser I like better. I guess that says something about it!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2013 6:46:00 PM More reviews by sweetfart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This feels like rubbing vaseline on your face. This did not remove makeup at all, left a very thick residue, and just didn't feel cleansing whatsoever. If you have dry skin and need a makeup remover, you are better off using Pond's cold cream which is cheaper and easier to obtain.

The salesperson tried convincing me that this will be great for my oily skin, because oil helps remove oil. BS no it didn't. She also suggested I use the Dark Angels scrub on top of it to help break up the MU, or use a hot towel to rub it off. That's just too much work IMO. And I did try that. And it didn't work.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2013 7:07:00 AM More reviews by missbioniclegs

I really love the Lush skincare products, they've worked wonders for my skin. My main routine is Fresh Farmacy followed by Eau Roma Toner water and a Lavender moisturiser that I buy locally. I also alternate between Dark Angels and Angels on Bare Skin for varying levels of exfoliation when I think I need it.

Anyway, I decided to try out Ultrabland on my recent Lush visit and I'm really glad I did. I'll be straight with you, it doesn't smell appealing and it's not the most glamorous way to clean your face; slopping this yellow buttery stuff on your face but the benefits outweigh this for me. It pulls makeup and grime off effortlessly and the skin feels clean but smooth and moisturised. I have greasy skin and this seems to balance it out as well.

I have heard of the Ultrabland challenge and I do believe after using it that it could help to heal irritated or troubled skin if you just used it alone.

This is how I use it: I get a sort of coin sized blob, 10p or maybe 50p size depending on whether I have make-up, I rub it gently round my face and on my eyes (eyes closed) do this for about a minute then use warm water and a muslin cloth or flannel to gently wipe away.

You may feel some residue, I either use a toner after or sometimes just leave skin as it feels moisturised.

Anyway, that's just how I use it you may want to experiment if you try it.

So to sum up, I will definitely re-buy and would highly recommend to others.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2013 10:40:00 AM More reviews by Frankers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used this product years ago, and for some reason stopped using it (probably due to the price as I was a student). But I'm so glad I rediscovered it, as I will definitely keep using it. It's excellent for getting off eye makeup. Suffering from breakouts this doesn't completely solve the problem by any means, but it helps slightly. Give it a go!