October 30, 2014 | 1839 users online

Treatments (Face) - Honey

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2013 1:56:00 PM More reviews by indilay

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

About 3-4 weeks ago I experienced the worst breakout of my life. Of course, it was right before my camping vacation when I wanted to be clear and makeup free. Ugh. It was SO bad. Cysts on my chin, pustules on my cheeks. The whole time I was camping, I was bummed that my skin looked SO BAD. When I got home, I researched natural skin care products. Whenever I use ANYTHING with chemicals my skin goes bonkers.

I was looking up reviews for natural skin care and read about Lerosett and was about to purchase that when I came across some reviews for honey. I thought that I would try honey first because sulphur realllly dries out my skin. I used the regular "bear honey" for the first two days, but wasn't seeing any change in my skin at all. So I bought some pure, raw, organic honey and started twice a day with honey masks for anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour depending on how much time I had. My acne was definitely coming to the surface. At first, I wasn't sure if the honey was making my skin worse or if it was just purging. But, I know this is the norm when switching skin care products so I did not give up!

I also read about using apple cider vinegar so I started doing an ACV toner after my face mask and that immediately helped reduce the size of some pimples. Like IMMEDIATELY. It's amazing (will have to review that next)! I use 50% Bragg's ACV with 50% filtered water and a couple drops of tea tree and lavender oil to try to cut through the smell of the vinegar. I use it at night on a cotton round to help take off any honey and makeup residue and I use it in a spray bottle in the morning to mist my face after I wash it with honey (I sometimes just use it as a wash, not as a mask in the morning). I also moisturize with a couple drops of jojoba oil, aloe, or my Juice Beauty tinted moisturizer, depending on how dry/flakey or oily my skin is looking that day. I think I like the aloe the best though.

My skin has improved DRASTICALLY. I got one small pimple yesterday on my chin that has already gotten flat from doing my honey and ACV regimen. Other than that, the rest of my skin is clear, it's just healing. I have a lot of scabs/scars from my previous breakout, but they are all flat and luckily easy to cover with makeup.

I will say that I do think my EDM foundation was breaking me out. Which sucks because I LOVED it and have been using it for 5+ years! I switched to Mineral Fusion, but since their shades are too dark for my skin, I mixed it with some Alima Foundation I had that was pretty light. It's an awesome combination. The foundations on their own are not perfect, but mixing them together makes it close to perfect!

The skin care I was previously using was Aveda Outer Peace. I'm not sure if that's what caused my acne or if it was my makeup. But, I stopped using both. I do SOMETIMES use the Outer Peace face wash at night to help remove makeup. But rarely.

I hope that this helps some of you with your acne. I was skeptical it would be as great as all the reviews say, but hopeful because I do have good luck with natural products. It's a cheap alternative to trying out all those pricey skin care lines that help at first and then stop working. Give it a shot!

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2013 6:11:00 AM More reviews by Missconsistency

You cannot go wrong with Manuka UMF 15+ Honey. Unless if you are allergic to bumble bees. My dull skin morphs into a youthful plump baby skin after 3 nights of 30minute Manuka UMF15+ Honey mask. You have got to try it if you are fanatic of skin healing and rejuvenation.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2013 9:23:00 AM More reviews by asunta

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I think if your not getting good results from using this as a moisturizing mask your not using this properly. First off any old honey will do! Mix 2 tbs honey with 2 tbs water and stir, next add 6 more tbs of water, mix. use as a moisture mask for 10-15 min, rinse, voila

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2013 12:09:00 PM More reviews by Halfsquatchh

Last night was my first use of a raw honey mask (along with pure aloe vera gel). I have oily sensitive acne prone skin and am currently having one of my worst breakouts of all time on my chin while the rest of my skin has large pores, hyperpigmentation, black heads, scarring, redness etc. I can already tell honey is going to do great things to my skin. Where I don't have breakouts, the redness has already reduced, along with some wrinkles on my forehead and scarring. My skin just looks better. As for the acne on my chin, the honey brought the pimples to a head but they don't really look better or worse. I popped them (I know it's bad but they hurt if I don't!) and I'm going to continue using the mask as I've heard it brings them to a head as it brings out the toxins.

**UPDATE**
My skin has improved sososo much! I really can't believe it. I've been using this regimen alone for 10 days and also use evoo as a moisturizer at night. Granted I do still have acne but much less, the organic honey and pure aloe has improved my skin tone, texture, and all over look. What used to bed red, angry, embarrassing skin has normalized! I don't even wear foundation anymore because it really just looks so much better. It does heal some pimples overnight in some cases though the type of pimple has something to do with this (usually painful putsules.) I've found using honey alone dries out my skin and irritates it since I have incredible sensitive skin and it is quite grainy, but when paired with aloe gel can make my face look incredible after using it as a mask for an hour or so. They really work well together and these bad boys cost me less than 15 dollars together. DEFINITELY worth a shot, just try it and keep it up for a few weeks as there is a "purging" stage where it will get worse and then get better! I will be back for another update as I keep using this.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2013 7:44:00 PM More reviews by edurling

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So I first stumbled across honey as a skincare aid when I had a nasty (self-inflicted, of course) scab from a popped pimple on my face. I came across a natural skincare website that recommended raw honey and specifically something called "manuka honey". Let me tell you, that was the best $35 I ever spent. You can buy raw manuka honey at Whole Foods and it heals damaged skin so fast its shocking. Raw honey works pretty well too, but manuka honey is worth the extra money, TRUST ME. If you have a picking at zits problem, manuka honey is your savior. Slap some on and cover it with a band-aid and go to sleep and the next morning you'll be shocked at the results. It's special because its made by bees that use pollen from a medicinal plant related to the tea tree plant - hospitals even use it now because it is effective against antibiotic resistant bacteria - I'm serious!
N.B. Regular honey does very little! You don't need to drop $35 for the manuka honey but you do need to buy the slightly more expensive RAW honey. It should be opaque and might be slightly grainy. You can get a jar for about $7 at trader joe's and a little goes a long way.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/30/2013 3:51:00 PM More reviews by princessmaria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I wish i had more time to use this everyday .. if i could i would!
i normally use a honey mask as a treat, maybe once every 2 weeks, but this could be used more regularly if necessary. it makes skin feel clean, soft, fresh and new!

if i use a honey mask, i get a hot flannel cloth and leave it on my face for a few moments to open pores. then i use about a tablespoon of honey and apply it to my face and neck, and sometimes the chest area if im feeling patient! - be careful as it can drip everywhere!
I have also added sugar and essential oils (lavender, chamomile or tea tree) in the mixture too to make an indulgent exfoliator. once the mask has been on for about 10 or 15 mins, wash off with warm water. apply your favourite moisturisor and your skin will feel baby bum smooth!

when i worked in a health shop, i always recommended honey to many teen girls complaining of acne and spots. some looked at me like i was mad, and some took on my advice and even some came back to thank me for the results it had!

honey is a great healer for the skin and is anti bacterial, so its perfect for those who suffer with acne. it is also moisturising and works wonders for all skin types - even mine - combination/oily, slightly sensitive, spotty. it's best to go for honey that is in a squeezy tube - it is much cleaner!!

you may also want to try manuka honey - which has a unique antibacterial factor which may range from 5+ to 50+ strength. the higher the number, the higher the strength. this would work wonders on boils, spots, cuts, exzema etc. HOWEVER, it can be extremely expensive, but if you are looking for something to indulge in, go for it! its also good for IBS, stomach problems, sore throats, colds etc. i've heard raving reviews about this stuff during my time in a health shop.
if you are like me, and don't always have a high budget, regular honey is perfect for minor skin ailments. it's also very tasty :P

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2013 9:59:00 PM More reviews by thereisalwayshope

There are so many uses of this incredible product. I use it in my moisturizer. I use about one quarter honey to moisturizer and add ten drops of coconut oil, macadamia nut oil, sweet almond oil, and wow my skin is super soft. Honey is a natural anti aging product. It is also a natural brightener, and it continues to make my skin really glow and help fade those pesky acne spots! I also add this to my shampoo (about 1 tablespoon for 2oz of shampoo, some add to conditioner but in less amounts) and it does wonders. My hair is soooo incredibly soft.
Research it and you will also find the true benefits of honey!

Good luck makeupalley users :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2013 1:45:00 AM More reviews by outdoorsgal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been on the search for a skin care product that will help with my hormonal acne (the joys of perimenopause!) and I decided to try honey as a mask.
I made the mistake of not spot testing and Holy major breakout Batman!

My face looked worse than before as the honey made it red (I already have rosacea) and aggravated my breakouts. It took a good few days before my skin began to recover.

Definitely spot test before trying this all over your face, especially if you have sensitive skin.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2013 6:55:00 PM More reviews by Sugarzone17

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Green

Works great!, im medium brown , and my acne....arg!! ladies you know! being 17 with acne is not fun!, so i tried this product and believe me or not i woke up the next morning with pretty skin! yeah i still had 2 tiny bumps but my pimple was not noticeable has before :)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2013 8:52:00 PM More reviews by mskittenmittens

I like honey! :b I don't think it prevents acne that much as I still get small breakouts once in a while, though I never got much pimples before honey anyway. It is a mild cleanser, but probably people's skin are reacting badly to it because raw honey contains pollen which is an allergen (but also has greater benefits than non-raw honey). However, it gives a healthy glow to my face and moisturizes so I don't need a moisturizer unless I use a drying facial product (Queen Helene Julep Mint Masque), and my face only looks a tiny bit shinier at night, when I'm due for another honey wash. Before, my face would be an oil slick by the afternoon after washing. I got a pound of raw honey for $7 at Trader Joe's. That's really cheap compared to a lot of facial cleansers!