July 24, 2014 | 1258 users online

Skincare - Face - Philosophy - When Hope Is Not Enough - Serum

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2010 5:52:00 PM More reviews by LorelaiNoah

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

Pros:
-Decent packaging.

Cons:
-Smells rancid.
-Doesn't do ANYTHING to improve my skin.
-Stung my eyes.

Would not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2010 More reviews by cosec00

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was originally given to me as a gift and i've been using it ever since.

Its expensive, but when people randomly comment that your skin looks younger, its worth it. Once I started using it with the Vit C booster powder I notice not only had the texture of my skin improved but my skintone started evening out. This started to occur within days--I've never experienced that type of results before.

I am 43 and my skin looks better than it did 5 years ago. I apply it with the Vit C powder am and pm. Given the improvement, I will continue to use this forever.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2010 9:55:00 AM More reviews by Bones1

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is for the Firming and Lifting Serum. I use it at night only, under my moisturizer. I'm 35-years-old with decent skin, but increasing redness of late and VERY puffy eyes. This is the only serum I have ever used that I actually believe does what it says it does. My skin is positively radiant in the morning. My eyes are less puffy, my cheeks are glowing, and this is in the middle of winter when I am usually a red, puffy faced mess. I never get enough sleep during the school year (I'm a teacher) and usually by this time of year I have to use makeup to walk out of the house at all. Not this year. The only thing I'm doing differently is this. I LOVE it. I was lucky to get it in swap, but will repurchase if I have to.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2010 6:41:00 PM More reviews by pneggy

all in al a lovely moisturising serum, smells lovely, leaves skin hydrated. i find this very moisturising and therefore when i use it don't tend to bother with cream too. it really is quite lovely!

also, i'm talking about the replenising serum. the firming serum is horrible and leaves my skin feeling i just put egg white all over it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2009 3:33:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: The firming properties seemed to be real. You don't need much at all. I think it did help with fine lines a bit.

CONS: Smell is typical Phil; bad. Don't expect this to moisturize at all. Left me tight, so I had to moisturize almost right away.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2009 12:09:00 PM More reviews by inneroracle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like to take a break from my Jan Marini every few months and then go back to it. I bought a Clarisonic recently and have been using the Purity Cleanser with it as it removes makeup really well. My skin is sensitive, combo, and my latest challenge is red acne scars and skin tone/texture. I wash with the Purity Cleanser in the PM and the Micro exfoliating wash in the AM, then I follow up with this serum. This serum is a gel consistency, and it goes on wet but sinks in quickly. I feel that it firms my skin and provides some moisture -- but not quite enough moisture in the evenings. Since my advanced makeup optional kit came with spf20 hope in a jar, I have just been using the Help Me Retinol at night after this and the sample of the eye cream. I need just a slight touch more moisture. All in all, a good product. I have been using this for about 2 weeks now, and my skin feels pretty good, my jaw line is firmer. I am not noticing any change yet in skin tone/texture though.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2009 2:31:00 PM More reviews by vivcheung

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is a great product for the 30 something individual who is just starting to see small signs of aging such as uneven skin tone, darkness, dullness and slight loss of elasticity. I've been using this serum morning & evening for 2 weeks and I have already seen and felt dramatic improvements in skin texture, tone and brightness. My face just feels so much firmer, smoother and 'younger'. I had some blotchiness around my nose and cheeks and they have all but disappeared after starting this. It comes in a glass vial with a glass dropper. You only need a tiny amount to spread over the face and neck area...about the size of a dime. It's a very light serum, so it doesn't feel greasy or suffocating. I can't say how well it will work on lines and wrinkles, guess those who are wondering will have to try it out and see.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2009 11:29:00 PM More reviews by novelist

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I just purchased what must be my 6th or 7th bottle of this serum which I use with the philosophy vit. c powder and Hope In a Jar, every other night. I have used this serum in this manner for about 3 years now, and it has brightened my skin tone while ridding it of the last of the melasma which was the legacy of perimenopause. It is one of my key products for skin care and this trio works very well for me. Fine lines have softened and the overall texture of my skin has improved. I will say that this serum is for women over 30, like many of philosophy basic products for skin care. A young woman or girl with good skin will get little effect from this product which is targeted for skin which needs moisture and improved skin texture.

It is pricey but lasts me about 5-6 months; my alternate product is Albolene (on other nights) so I've got a handle on costs this way and I wouldn't use this product (in conjunction with the other philosophy products) every night anyway.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2009 7:07:00 AM More reviews by tofusteak

I bought this as part of the Makeup Optional kit. Big investment for a kit, if you ask me.

Anyway, this product was surprisingly good for me. I wasn't really looking for a serum, but since it came with the kit I decided to try it.

A little of this product goes a long way. Only apply a few drops and it spreads easily. I like the way it makes my skin feel afterwards-- soft to the touch and has a little glow. A good product to add to your skin regimen at night to make your skin feel healthy after a day's worth of makeup.

It's a bit expensive though. I would consider trying other products with the same effectiveness.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2009 2:52:00 PM More reviews by NikkiHarbin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

**My Skin/Needs**I'm 25, and my skin is oily/very oily in the t-zone, sensitive, and somewhat acne prone. I have very few fine lines (mainly under my eyes) and no wrinkles. I'm looking for anti-aging products with proven ingredients that will prevent wrinkles, make my skin look brighter/more youthful, hydrate my skin without adding oil or clogging my pores, protect and heal my skin from the damage from free radicals, and also, refine my pores making my skin appear smoother. **Review**After using the product for the past 2 to 3 days in the morning and in the evening, I can see a slight difference in the firmness, hydration, smoothness, and brightness of my skin. The product has a smooth feel and is very soothing to the the skin. Although I have very oily skin, the product does not feel greasy or heavy on my skin. It absorbs into the skin immediately. I have been using the product on my neck and chest (which is very acne-prone and sensitive), as well. I have had no irritation or breakouts as a result of using the product. Overall, I would definitely recommend the product solely for its ability to lightly smooth and hydrate the skin. As for its anti-aging abilities, only time will tell. As with many anti-aging products, it's necessary to use the product for several weeks, sometimes months, to see if it's indeed effective at preventing and treating the signs of aging. There is no product capable of completely transforming one's skin overnight. It takes time. I recommend taking your picture before you start treating your skin with the anti-aging products of your choice, then retake your picture 4 to 6 weeks later to see if your skin has improved. This will help you determine if the product actually works. I believe that the ingredients used in most of Philosophy's anti-aging products (Vitamin C & E, Retinol, Hyaluronic Acid, Peptides) are scientifically proven to prevent and treat the signs of aging. In other words, I believe in the science behind their products. I will update my review in 4 to 6 weeks.
Update****It's been about 1 month, and I highly recommend this product for those who are looking for an excellent a.m. and p.m. anti-aging serum for combination to oily skin. This serum provides hydration without greasiness or oilyness making it great for oily skin types and/or acne prone skin. It should not cause breakouts or irritation. As a result, I highly recommend this for sensitive skin types. Overall, I've found that this product is very preventative, as it brightens, tightens, smooths, hydrates, and improves uneven skin tone. The results are not dramatic, but they are real. I will definitely purchase this product again!

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No