April 21, 2014 | 1353 users online

Gels/Soaps - Ivory Soap

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2010 11:11:00 AM More reviews by frostythesnowman81

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

The Ivory website has some great tips:

and when you microwave Ivory Soap it turns into a soufflé like consistency rather than melting.

This is a video with written instructions:

Ingredients
Sodium tallowate, sodium cocoate or sodium palm kernelate, water, sodium chloride, sodium silicate, magnesium sulfate, and fragrance

It claims to be 99.4% "pure", I'm assuming "pure" means natural.

*Ivory soap is not vegan* Sodium tallowate is derived from beef fat

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2010 1:20:00 AM More reviews by lilaleahg

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This can dry my skin out, however a simple lotion or moisturizer could fix that problem.

As for cleaning power, Ivory Soap cleans me off rather well.

Would I repurchase again? Yes, but in all honesty I would rather have Dove or a body wash.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2010 7:52:00 PM More reviews by sunshine824

Ivory soap is soooo drying and completely strips my skin of all moisture. However, it's good for a few things:
*exfoliating - I like that it has no moisturizing properties at all because this makes it good for exfoliating and stripping everything off of your skin(including some of your skin).
*stain removal - this soap will remove stains like no other soap. I've had white clothing that had blood stains in it for years. I used Ivory soap to get the stain out by 1)wetting the garment and scrubbing the area really well with Ivory soap 2)rinse and repeat but leave the soap to sit on the stain area for an hour or so 3)rinse and if the stain is still there than repeat the process. It worked on stains that bleach and Tide stain remover couldn't remove.

I also love the scent of this, I just wish it lasted out of the shower. But since I have to use lotion afterwards it gets overpowered by lotion smell. :-( But every once in a while I use it anyway.

I put that I would repurchase because I do repurchase occasionally, but don't use it consistantly.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2010 1:25:00 AM More reviews by missstarlight

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

The perfect basic soap. So cheap. Doesn't dry out your skin or leave a film. And it floats :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2010 10:22:00 AM More reviews by mwebba1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this soap! I use this every day in the shower. I do not, however, use this on my face (never thought to). I recently spent the weekend with my special friend and he had this in his apartment because he knew how I wash with nothing but this. Wasn't that sweet of him? The main reason why I started using nothing but Ivory in college was that it was the only soap that did not irritate that special place and still rinsed clean. I never felt like Dove rinsed clean from my skin. I do not like moisturizing things to cleanse with. Even if I use a body wash for some reason I alwasy wash that place with this. Well done, Ivory. You have a life-long follower here.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2010 8:00:00 AM More reviews by DawnPeach

Love love love Ivory soap!! It is the only soap I can use without breaking out! I use it on my body and my face and it is perfect if you have very sensitive skin. I agree with the previous reviewer in that it tends to be a bit drying in the winter (especially if you have well-water), but nothing a little extra moisturizer can't fix. Seriously I cannot use any soap other than this one. Dove, plain glycerine soap, and even special sensitive skin soap brands screw up my skin. But not Ivory!! I never get a rash or reaction to it and I love it as a low-maintenance facial cleanser. It it basic, dependable, light smelling, cheap (you can buy it in bulk) and I just love it! The best soap out there!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2009 6:36:00 AM More reviews by tokyorosa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am a soap fiend. Seriously, there are usually between four and six different kinds of soap in my shower at any given time. But this one is ALWAYS there. I love this soap. I use it daily, face and body, and I have never been disappointed. It's inexpensive, high quality, works well, and doesn't cause me to break out or prompt an allergic reaction on my ridiculously sensitive skin. During the driest part of winter (and I live in the desert, so winter is DRY, no joke), it can be a bit drying, but I just slather on a bit of extra moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2009 9:57:00 AM More reviews by andToto2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

This product has ended my search for a product to clean my face. I decided to buy a pack of this, $1.07 at Wal-Mart, figured even if I hated it, so what. I am so glad I did, and I wish I would have tried it sooner.

My face is really sensitive. I use Retin-A, which I think is a big contributor to this problem, but if I try to stop using it, my skin breaks out so badly.The two cleansers that have irritated my skin the least were Aveeno Ultra Calming foaming cleanser and Purpose Liquid. But neither was perfect, and I still had dryness with them sometimes.

The Ivory is amazingly perfect for me. I get not one bit of dryness with it, my face feels clean and soft and free of irritation. No flaking. My skin's appearance has improved greatly in the week I have been using it. It works great for using on the whole body too, but I kind of like the indulgence of Philosophy shower gels.

One other thing I would like to note: I think with soaps, cleansers, shampoos and shower gels, part of the reason there are such wildly different opinions (i.e. "it leaves a film", "it dries my skin out", "cleans great", "cleans like crap") is the water in a persons house. If you have naturally soft water or use a water softener, your results can be quite different that someone who has hard water. I really notice this when visiting my sister. We have hard water here, she uses a water softener. The same shampoos and soaps I use daily perform really differently there. Just wanted to share some food for thought.

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2009 11:26:00 AM More reviews by kjb778

After going through multiple soaps I found this is the only one that does not make my skin dry. I have used specialty and natural soaps and bought every moisturizing ones known to man and this keeps my skin soft and healthy. Cleans very good, nice soft scent, rinses nicely, doesn't burn certain "areas" and inexpensive.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2009 4:43:00 PM More reviews by Ceci2468

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I haven't used this soap in over 30 years. Unless it has been reformulated since then, this has got to be the most drying soap out there. This soap sucks (strips) the skin (or my skin, anyway) of all oils. Definitely not a good thing. I moisturized with lotion and that didn't help. Back then my parents didn't have a lot of money (and they probably didn't know all the other options) and we used this stuff for everything -- body wash, face wash, dish detergent, hair shampoo. This will strip your hair of everything. I'm African American with natural hair and after shampooing with this stuff my hair did not have good feeling at all (think brillo pad). Back then we didn't even use hair conditioner and I couldn't even handle (manage) my own hair. Had to get others to comb it for me. This soap does not bring forth good memories at all.

One positive, it sure did clean the crap off of the dishes. Damn fine as dish detergent.