AmLactin 12%

4.3

Water, Lactic Acid (Neutralized with Ammonium Hydroxide), Light Mineral Oil, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Laureth 4, Polyoxyl 40 Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Methyl, Propylparaben, Methylcellulose

on 11/9/2011 8:47:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I'm going to try something a little different with this review. I'm going to start off by explaining what I initially think about it, and then I'm going to come here week by week, to note any changes. A little about me, I normally don't use body moisturizer. There really is no need for me as I don't get dry. What I do need help with, is back acne. AHA is apparently wonderful for light to moderate cases of back acne. I'm using this product for that sole purpose. For face, and back acne. I just purchased AmLactin this afternoon. I just washed my face as normal, toned with Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel and then slathered this on my upper back, tops of shoulders, and a pea sized amount on my face. Initially I didn't think this product smelled too bad. I sniffed it from the bottle and it basically smelled like a slightly medicated lotion. I'm used to those smells. However when you put it on your body, the smell changes DRASTICALLY. I REEK of ammonia. I actually smell like a hair salon when they're dyeing someone's hair. It's a heavy ammonia smell coming off of my skin. It's been 10 minutes and I don't notice it fading. I also feel extremely sticky and tacky. I'm really not enjoying how this lotion feels. I do notice it starting to sink in, but the initial few minutes made me feel really gross. On my face I have a few acne, some which are open. This STINGS on broken skin... badly. Fortunately it faded fast, but it absolutely woke me up. I'm going to use this lotion every day for the next week. I will be back on November 16th with an update. ***I know I said I'd be back in a week, but the results are so drastic after 8 hours of sleeping that I had to post. I had extreme flaking on my face due to harsh facial washes I was using. All flakes are gone. The acne break out I had along my jaw line, although still there, is noticeably cleared and much smaller. My cheeks are glowing, my pores appear smaller, my skin is even toned, smooth. I don't want to jinx it. But it's phenomenal so far. Also, it did not cause an irritation outbreak on my shoulders or back. That says something b/c EVERYTHING breaks out my shoulders and back.

***** OK so It's been a week and one day and I can say that I really like this cream. I'm still not a fan of the scent, I slather it all over my shoulders and back and face at night and in the morning I use it on my face under makeup. My face has been 100% flake free since using this. I had a horrendous outbreak on my back, after a week, it's gone. I'm left with some slight scarring but eventually it will fade. This cream has not broken my face or body out at all. If anything it's healed my face and has made it extremely smooth, even toned, and looks flawless with makeup on. I'm convinced it's keeping my back outbreaks at bay, and I love that my skin isn't reacting to it. Will continue to rebuy.

on 11/4/2011 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

This is the only chemical exfoliator I can use with no clogs or breakouts. I use it on my face, body and feet. It moisturizes well and does what it says. What more could I ask for? Im not fond of the smell but it goes away pretty quick. It does take a while to absorb so I only use before bedtime, I wake up with nice skin. I only use a few times a week, if you get this make sure to use spf during the day!!! Overall a good product, average price and works!

on 11/1/2011 10:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Yikes. This is not for those with sensitive skin! I originally bought this to use on my face since a lot of people said it was great to prevent acne and help uneven skin tones. For that purpose, it was way too greasy and it made me break out in a rash. Unfortunately, it didn't work as a body lotion either. It makes my skin BURN and ITCH like crazy. I'm either allergic to something in it, or the AHA is just too strong for my skin type. I gave it to my sister who has KP on her upper arms. I hope it works for her!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

First off I actually have something from the dermatologist but it's basically the same thing. My Dad has cracked hands really bad so he was prescribed this and we have it in bulk. One day I was really itchy since my skin tends to be dry and I read the label and decided to try it. At first I had kind of an unpleasant tingly sensation that went away with the first minute or so, and I continued to apply it to my whole body and face. Noting has made my skin so healthy looking and feeling, I usually just by big jars of aquaphor and apply it daily. I did notice it didn't smell the best however it fades away once it dries. I've been applying this every night for a week and it's amazing, I'm seeing less blackheads and acne. My skin has never been smoother.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have keratosis pilaris on my legs (basically super dry skin bumps.) None of those intense repair and super moisturizing lotions did A THING. Suddenly, it got really bad. My legs were full of red, itchy/painful bumps!! It actually looked like psoriasis or something. I started using my lotions. Those made them smooth for maybe an hour or two, but just stayed on the surface and did nothing to get rid of the bumps. I didn't want to have to go to the dermatologist, so I bought this b/c I heard such great things, and the derm probably would have recommended it anyway. WOW. THIS IS THE BEST LOTION I HAVE EVER USED! I have only been using it for a few days, so I'll edit when my legs are more used to it. The bumps' redess and size was greatly reduced by the FIRST DAY. This stuff is wonderful. When using it on my body, I apply it twice a day, when I wake up and before bed. Every other day, I'll use a body scrub to exfoliate the dead skin. After, I apply Amlactin. Warning- it does sting! In a good way, though, haha.) I have light acne and decided to try this on my face. It had alpha hydroxy acid, which is supposed to work wonders for acne. I haven't been using it long, but so far so good. I haven't broken out (crossing fingers,) and it hasn't made me oily. This is definitely a keeper :)

EDIT- This ended up being very harsh for my skin. Also, I went through the bottle way too fast for it to be worth it, especially because it was making my skin worse :( It cased my face to break out as well as my legs. Now I'm on Cetphil Restoraderm. It works bery well and is much gentler!

on 8/22/2011 9:11:00 PM

This former prescription-only lotion is great for dry skin and really helps speed up the exfoliating process. The fragrance is a strong ammonia like formula but it doesn't linger. It isn't too creamy and blends easily.

on 6/28/2011 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Neutral

I bought this because I have KP and was hoping this would help me get rid of it. I have a mild/moderate case on my upper arms and mild on my upper thighs.
Unfortunately this did nothing for my KP. I bought the big bottle at Costco and I used it 1-2x everyday, for over a month. My KP is still there while the bottle is empty. I'm so disappointed, I really hope to find something to get rid of my KP.
It's ok as just a moisturizer. My skin is not very dry, so most body lotions are enough for me.

on 6/18/2011 10:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I got this to soften up my rough, dry feet. It reeks of ammonia, but I added some peppermint oil and it covers up the scent and makes my feet tingle. So far, it is working great. My feet are soft and smooth, and they look great in sandals. It is a bit expensive, but at costco you can get a large bottle for $16-17.

on 5/21/2011 7:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

There is nothing sexy or glamorous about this stuff, except it works! AHAs have to be at the correct pH to work, and this one is around 5, which is where it should be. Can you say feet? I struggle with dry heels & toes, and if you sleep with this on under cotton socks, it works wonders. I wish I had samples of this to hand out to people with crusty feet--they'd be amazed. It's really great anywhere, except after shaving--it'll sting.

on 5/15/2011 11:30:00 AM

I have been using the body cream version of this product for a couple of months now and I'm quite impressed. I have dry skin and this is moisturizing, but also has exfoliating properties that smooth my skin. My skin looks glowing and feels terrific--I can't wait for summer!

As many reviewers have already commented, the smell is a bit of a turn-off...it has a sour milk/ammonia odor to it, but the smell fades rapidly. I do have to admit though, most of the time, I apply this, let it soak in for a few minutes, and then I apply Clarins Baume Corps Super Hydratant lotion, which smells fabulous and increases the softness of my skin.

One thing I have discovered when using this product is that I can't use it immediately after I have used a scrub exfoliator. My skin is too sensitive and I develop red bumps all over. So I just skip this on the days I use a scrub and no problem.

I was hoping this would fade some of the light brown spots that are on my hands, arms, and chest, but so far I haven't seen a noticeable difference.

This product is definitely worth the price, but be sure to go to the website and print the coupon before purchasing--but it will only let you do this a couple of times.