July 22, 2014 | 2104 users online

Lotions/ Creams - AmLactin 12%

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2011 9:11:00 PM More reviews by angelinuh

This former prescription-only lotion is great for dry skin and really helps speed up the exfoliating process. The fragrance is a strong ammonia like formula but it doesn't linger. It isn't too creamy and blends easily.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/28/2011 12:01:00 AM More reviews by MUAMEANGIRL

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this because I have KP and was hoping this would help me get rid of it. I have a mild/moderate case on my upper arms and mild on my upper thighs.
Unfortunately this did nothing for my KP. I bought the big bottle at Costco and I used it 1-2x everyday, for over a month. My KP is still there while the bottle is empty. I'm so disappointed, I really hope to find something to get rid of my KP.
It's ok as just a moisturizer. My skin is not very dry, so most body lotions are enough for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2011 10:31:00 PM More reviews by bellisimma

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this to soften up my rough, dry feet. It reeks of ammonia, but I added some peppermint oil and it covers up the scent and makes my feet tingle. So far, it is working great. My feet are soft and smooth, and they look great in sandals. It is a bit expensive, but at costco you can get a large bottle for $16-17.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2011 7:33:00 PM More reviews by queijada

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

There is nothing sexy or glamorous about this stuff, except it works! AHAs have to be at the correct pH to work, and this one is around 5, which is where it should be. Can you say feet? I struggle with dry heels & toes, and if you sleep with this on under cotton socks, it works wonders. I wish I had samples of this to hand out to people with crusty feet--they'd be amazed. It's really great anywhere, except after shaving--it'll sting.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2011 11:30:00 AM More reviews by lashjunkie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using the body cream version of this product for a couple of months now and I'm quite impressed. I have dry skin and this is moisturizing, but also has exfoliating properties that smooth my skin. My skin looks glowing and feels terrific--I can't wait for summer!

As many reviewers have already commented, the smell is a bit of a turn-off...it has a sour milk/ammonia odor to it, but the smell fades rapidly. I do have to admit though, most of the time, I apply this, let it soak in for a few minutes, and then I apply Clarins Baume Corps Super Hydratant lotion, which smells fabulous and increases the softness of my skin.

One thing I have discovered when using this product is that I can't use it immediately after I have used a scrub exfoliator. My skin is too sensitive and I develop red bumps all over. So I just skip this on the days I use a scrub and no problem.

I was hoping this would fade some of the light brown spots that are on my hands, arms, and chest, but so far I haven't seen a noticeable difference.

This product is definitely worth the price, but be sure to go to the website and print the coupon before purchasing--but it will only let you do this a couple of times.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2011 1:07:00 PM More reviews by MU2

I have used one bottle of this to get rid of some dry patches on my legs and lighten some sun spots. It has been wonderful for the dry patches and even lightened the sun spots, although they are definitely still there. Hoping that the sun spots will continue to fade with continued use of the AmLactin and a high PPD sunscreen. Good stuff!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2011 1:48:00 PM More reviews by classicgirl05

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

First off, this is awesome for KP, which I have on my arms and legs. I use the lotion every day, and I dry brush every other day before I shower and the difference I've seen in two weeks time has been astounding. I never realized I could have normal skin! I have a few bumps left, but the majority are healing and/or gone. I think with another two to three weeks use they will all be gone.

The cons: It's expensive. I used the $2 off coupon available on Amlactin's website, but still...that's a lot (for me) to pay for a lotion that I put on the majority of my body. Also, it smells like glue with a delightful top note of ammonia. The scent does go away after a while, but still, not the most glamorous thing in the universe.

The consistency is very thin, and I have had the best luck (both with application and effectiveness) waiting for my skin to dry after I shower and then applying it. It absorbs quickly, within 5 minutes. I don't personally need a lot, I cover everything witih a very thin layer and I apply it to the bumpy bits ONLY. I applied it to my entire body ONCE and my neck went dry, scaly, burning, peeling crazy gross. It hurt so much it actually woke me up in the middle of the night, and I spent a good 10 minutes sponging off my neck/chest with cool water. Be careful, this lotion is for real and can truly screw up those who, like me, have sensitive skin. My own experience has been that those areas affected by KP can take some 'tough love' in the manual and chemical exfoliation department, but I need to treat the rest of my skin with mild products.

The packaging is 'meh' with a side of 'whatever'. I got the big bottle with a pump and it's easy to use, 2 pumps for each leg and one for each arm and I'm done. I do also use this on my feet and hands and I've noticed I have a much easier time with gnarly ragged cuticles and I need to work with Mr. Pumice much less. The bottle itself is boring, generic pharmacy type packaging. I really don't care, if it works I could care less what it looks like on my bathroom counter.

One additional preachy toned note: This stuff can increase your skin's sun sensitivity. If you get sun, are outdoors a lot, etc. put a sunscreen on those areas that are exposed. Seriously. I realize it's a pain and an additional step and all that, but do you really want arm skin that looks like an old baseball glove in 10 years? Or worse, skin cancer?

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2011 1:05:00 AM More reviews by lightsout91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I keep forgetting to write a review on this fabulous product! One day I ran out of my AH Souffle and figured I could go another week without using it since I have to order it online. Umm...wrongo! By day 2 my skin looked dull and i got a few zits that I needed to get rid of fast.

I researched AmLactin in the past and always kept it in my "products to try" list so that day I headed down to Walgreens and purchased the 8 oz lotion. (i've not tried the cream formula, i probably will never get around to it) After 5 days my skin was back to being clear and my glow was back! I know someone would be wary of using a BODY LOTION on their face but there are no known pore cloggers in the ingredients and my thought process was "if it works for keratosis pilaris, why couldn't it work for acne?" Well, it DOES!
This is my current night moisturizer and even spot treatment sometimes in the morning.
It makes me look super greasy after applying it even though I don't glob it on. Just a quarter+dime size amount is more than enough for my face. I avoid applying to my eyes because, ouch, it stings. Also since I use it practically every night it does eventually start to sting around your nose, so I avoid applying around there as well.

A small recent example of how well AmLactin works:
After using Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Liquid sunblock for 2.5 weeks, I found my whole jaw area and my forehead/temples CLOGGED to hell. I stopped using it a week ago and went to AmLactin to hopefully save me. It purged a few of the zits (some are still healing, but very quickly) and just completely got rid of some others. I'm still working on getting this outbreak clear but after this now I KNOW that this little $26 lotion is a gem. A fabulous drugstore hidden gem. It's not very cosmetically elegant, the packaging is so boring, but dammit it works and that's great enough for me.

oh, and of course an added bonus: it fades acne marks so much better than the souffle ever did ;)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2011 1:25:00 AM More reviews by ProductJunkey

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I scored a good deal on this at CVS~it was on a clearance shelf for $2.25, and also the CVS generic brand was on clearance as well for about $2.00! My favorite lotion for KP was Vaseline Healthy Body Complexion, before it was discontinued and I've run out of my back ups! At least that had a scent that was tolerable. As for this....to be blunt it smells like stinky feet and ass! That is the only way to describe it, and I will only use it before bed, on my feet, arms, legs and hands. I do like the results, though. Really smooths out any rough places- it's not an overnight cure though, you have to use continuously for about 2 to 3 weeks- depending on your skin- to see results. I also tried the CVS generic formula of this and that smells even worse- like ammonia!
Other posters have noted to put another lotion on top- to mask the smell- you can do that- but you're really just wasting that lotion.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2011 1:45:00 PM More reviews by nattyngeorge

I purchased the 14.1 oz bottle (with a pump, yes!!) at Walgreen's, around 6 months ago. It is a little expensive - but it's worth it. If you really think about it though, it's a lotion with 12% AHA at 14.1 oz - I don't remember how much it was exactly, I think it was a little over $20. I know the 8 oz is $16.99. If you divide that by the amount you'd pay for an AHA cream (Let's say $5+ for a 1-2 oz jar) it's actually a pretty good value.. $1+ an oz. And actually, I just checked CVS' website and the reg price for their 8 oz bottle is $14.99. So you may want to shop around first. If you purchase this, make sure to USE THE COUPON on AmLactin's website. You'll save a couple of dollars (http://www.amlactin.com/coupon.html). *** The main reason I purchased this lotion is because of the Keratosis Pilaris (KP) I've had on my upper arms all of my life. I actually never knew I had KP, until someone pointed it out. If you're not familiar with what it is, it's tiny colorless bumps that look like goosebumps - the area can look a little rosy pink as well. They tend to appear less in the heat, and more in the cold. It's very common esp. if you have dry skin or eczema. Mine isn't bad, but I'd like to keep it under control. This really helps. Also, genetically I have coarse hair - and I tend to get ingrown on my legs from shaving - that appear as little bumps.. and I sometimes feel like I never get a smooth shave because of it. This helps exfoliate your skin and lets those little hairs pop out. This is effective on my knees and elbows as well. I actually, sometimes even use it on my face to help fade blemish scars. Love this stuff and I highly recommend it.