The Body Shop Banana Nourishing Shampoo

3.5

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water (Solvent/Diluent), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (Surfactant), Musa Paradisica (Banana) Fruit (Emollient/Lubricant), Glyceryl Hydroxystearate (Emollient), Lauramide DEA (Surfactant), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (Surfactant), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Panthenol (Skin/Hair Conditioning Agent), Polyquaternium-7 (Hair Conditioner), Stearic Acid (Emulsifier), Sodium Chloride (Viscosity Modifier), Methylparaben (Preservative), Fragrance (Fragrance), Citric Acid (pH Adjuster), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Butylparaben (Preservative), Ethylparaben (Preservative), Isobutylparaben (Preservative), Propylparaben (Preservative), Ascorbic Acid (Antioxidant), Yellow 5 (Colour), Red 4 (Colour) [January 19, 2010]

on 4/8/2011 10:33:00 AM

I'm going to have to review the shampoo & conditioner as a pair, because I always used it in conjunction. My hair is long, normal-dry with a flyaway/frizz issue that can be tamed w/ a good shampoo/conditioner. I'm on my quest to find a new combo that works for me. I used to use Lush Daddy O shampoo w/ Coolaulin conditioner, but they've discontinued the Coolaulin & my hair is really suffering now.

I was lured in by the banana scent & the price was a steal. My hair was left a dry & frizzy mess after using this. My s.o. (who has short hair) complained that it left his hair dry, so that's a testimonial! I will use the shampoo as a body wash & the conditioner for shaving my legs, i guess, but I won't let it touch my hair ever again. I'm going to start using Biolage Smooth Therapie later today & will review.

on 2/25/2011 8:56:00 PM

pros:
love the smell
lathers well
makes hair feel VERY clean
leaves hair very shiny/sheeny

cons:
maybe a little over-stripping/drying? (does not make hair soft)
bottle cap a little flimsy

overall i really like this shampoo though. it makes my hair look very healthy

on 2/9/2011 8:02:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I adore this product! It smells amazing and makes my hair shiny without the oily sheen that other nourishing products sometime decide to gift you.
It lathers up well and washes your hair with a squeaky clean feel to it. When I use this product, I don't have to wash my hair the next day which is often not the case!
It works fine without conditioner too.

on 2/5/2011 4:34:00 PM

Actually surprised at how much I liked this shampoo.

It smells kind of like ripe bananas -- which is why I decided to try it out in the first place. I don't really notice the smell at all though, it's pretty subtle. Even when I'm washing my hair it's not overwhelming. I don't find the smell to stay in your hair after you shower so if you don't like the smell or just don't want your hair smelling like bananas, you don't need to worry about it.

I wasn't expecting a whole lot out of this but when my hair dried it was noticeably softer and smoother.

I don't find this to over-clean my hair like some other reviewers say, there's no squeaky clean feeling.

I had been using another shampoo that promised smoother, shinier hair and this one is so much better. The other one always felt like it left a residue in my hair whereas this one rinses out clean (but not too clean -- which is a good thing).

I'd recommend this...although looking at all the different reviews it makes me wonder how one product can get so many polar opposite reviews!

on 11/11/2010 10:59:00 AM

I love this shampoo for my short, virgin thick brown hair. I find it to be gentle, effective at cleansing, and cheap at $5. I always have a bottle in my shower.

on 11/9/2010 3:16:00 PM

When I first used this, after drying and styling my hair felt so silky soft, I loved the smell; I thought I'd found a keeper! Sadly after a few hours my hair felt distinctly dry which is not a problem I've ever encountered before. I wonder if this could be attributed to the SLS present in the ingredients? I'd always associated the Body Shop with natural products and was so disappointed to see how many unnatural chemicals are loaded into this product! Anyway, I've noticed more hair loss in the shower than I feel is normal since using this shampoo and can't say I'll be buying it again..

on 11/7/2010 12:28:00 PM

Terrible. My hair became so frizzy, dry, and unmanageable while using this product & the accompanying conditioner. It really stripped my hair of all moisture and left it puffy looking. My scalp also became extremely dry. I'm not sure how they can advertise this as being "nourishing". I had to put a lot of product into my hair to calm it down after washing. I switched back to Biolage hydrating shampoo/conditioner and my hair was back to being soft, shiny and manageable within a day. I couldn't believe the difference! I guess I will save the shampoo to use it as a cleaner for my brushes. I tried to use it as a body wash but it made me itchy. Sorry - but a major thumbs down for this product.

on 7/2/2010 7:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

Hmmm Im wondering if this shampoo is sulfate free because my hair does not respond well to it. It cleanses well, it just strips the moisture from my hair, like all sulfate free shampoos do. It has a nice banana fragrance but that's about the only thing I like about this shampoo. Will use this up but I will not repurchase.

on 6/22/2010 7:52:00 PM

I have loved this shampoo for years! It smells amazing, cleans great and is moisturizing. For even better results follow up with the Banana Conditioner which is also amazing! 2 thumbs up!

on 6/22/2010 7:44:00 PM

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

This shampoo really does clean your hair - but it cleansed it TOO good, it stripped all the oil out of my hair leaving my hair frizzy, dry, and unhealthy looking, it acted more like a "once a week shampoo" - for example, the "Neutrogena Anti-Residue" - except this one doesn't leave my hair frizzy. I'm not picky about smell - I just need the product to do it's job but this doesn't have the most pleasant smell. It lathers pretty good for something that doesn't contain sulfate, I have thicker hair though so I need more, but for thinner hair, this will lather just fine.
Overall, I hate this product, sorry! I have no idea what to do with it now though.

EDIT: After 7-8 hours, my hair starts to restore it's natural oil so my hair doesn't look frizzy and crappy anymore, but that's really just me doing the work, not the shampoo, but I guess I'll just use it up, when I wake up my hair looks back to it's healthy and soft self again anyways.

Popular Shampoos