August 1, 2014 | 1326 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Gardenia

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2006 9:22:00 PM More reviews by Bottles_Of_Blonde

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Gardenia is Chanels signature creamy floral, light enough for a hot summer day, but feminine enough to get dolled up for. There really is no way they could top this for its distinct tenderness. It's polite, yet witty and prominent. The presence of jasmine is sharp, but not overbearing while a whisper-lite vanilla and watery floral blend unfolds. Images of pearl bracelets and ivory chiffon come to mind and there's a definite kindly airiness that it evokes. Such a shame that the toilette is the only widely available formulation in the US.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/14/2006 10:55:00 AM More reviews by bande4

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I too wanted to love Chanel Gardenia and went through a whole bottle. It smelled nice on me and I smell alot of the gardenia scent (real or not) but was not worth the $75.00 I paid for it. Faded fairly quickly on me. I got another bottle as a present but only use it a night on my elbows and the back of my neck and knees and also on my sheets. It smells better on my bedding and is a soft, soothing smell when I take a shower at night on the weekends. But is smells wonderful on my mother - guess it is just body chemistry.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2006 11:41:00 AM More reviews by ewojdula

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This just might be my next gardenia frag. If Yves Roucher's Gardenia is like a liquified gardenia corsage, Chanel's is like a liquid version of their gardenia-with-the-black-bow motif: elegant and restrained yet direct and even whimsical, dramatic(?)! To me, its haute designer relative is Dior's Lily, which I also gave a "5" to. They're both paired down to their soliflore essences yet have such sophisticated auras. Gardenia, too, has not only been tamed, but went to finishing school. And, oh yeah - you can have fun wearing them too! Thank you, tara3056, for giving me another chance to sample this classic.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2006 12:55:00 AM More reviews by ojodeazul

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my signature scent. I am a creature of habit. I have been wearing this since I was 16 years old. The French formula is significantly richer than the version that is available in the US, but both are wonderful rich hues of white floral, but not too sweet. People always compliment me on how I smell, never on how strong my perfume is. The only bad thing about having a signature scent is that when other's copy it and they are your friends, it feels as if they are wearing your favorite pair of PJs...I could gush about this perfume FOREVER!!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/15/2006 7:09:00 AM More reviews by furiousjen

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is for the EDT: Gardenia is a nostalgic fragrance which reminds me of being a little girl being around ladies with blonde chignons, black dresses, and pearls. A whif from the bottle takes me back: it's a creamy floral (jasmine more than gardenia) but on my skin it turns into candy-i-t'sreally sweet smelling and cloying. Sadly, not for me. It's like not being able to wear a beautiful dress 'cause you're built wrong but can't help loving how it looks on other women.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/11/2006 2:20:00 PM More reviews by sussicue

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

A very beautiful light creamy bouquet of rose jasmin and gardenia (the artificial kind though according to the SA at Chanel). This scent is very similar to Penhaligon's Ellenisia- in fact I would say they are nearly identical. Gardenia did not last long on me so although I love everything about it I shall opt to buy Ellenisia instead.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2006 5:08:00 AM More reviews by willemtje

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I like this scent a lot - the first Chanel I really can actually wear: Chance, Allure, etc. all smell very cloying and artificial on me. This is a fresh, green soft white floral with a warm undertone. It would be suitable for all seasons (daytime wear, as its lasting power is poor). It smells to me like a mix of Blush Intense and Flora Nerolia: both jasmine scents. This one reminds me more of Flora Nerolia than Blush Intense actually, because it has the same quality I call mouthwatering or lingering: there is a note standing out, I think some might call that sparkling: although it is soft and non-offensive, it has that extra 'little kick'. This kick might be the tuberose others have mentioned, but it is not half as present as in La Chasse, I just can't wear that scent.
Gardenia is clean and warm, fresh and cozy all together. I tried both the edt and the extrait, and there wasn't much difference in my opinion.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2006 9:25:00 PM More reviews by dancingoutlaw

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is absolutely beautiful, but I have to agree that it is more jasmine and tuberose than gardenia. However, as it has been said, this is a very light and airy jasmine and tuberose. That’s quite an accomplishment(I think if I tested the pure parfum I might just faint). It’s both luscious and dainty; sweet…but with an underlying sexual quality. It’s a must-have for a floral lover. It just doesn’t last long enough on me, so I'm forced to take away one lippie for that--but I'd give most anything to acquire the pure parfum. I can understand why there’s a southern belle/garden party/wedding association among some of the fragrance board ladies when it comes to this one, though to me the ultra-southern belle title now belongs to Chantecaille Frangipane. At least until I try Chanel Gardenia in its purest form.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/21/2006 2:37:00 PM More reviews by krissybug

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love gardenia scents and consider this one my "green gardenia" fragrance. It's pretty and always in good taste. I wouldn't call it exceptional but it is pretty enough.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2006 10:30:00 PM More reviews by Clearing

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have tried and tried and tried to wear this one and I simply cannot like it. It's my absolute least favorite Chanel. It's a shriekingly screechy floral. It hurts my head. And it reminds me of candy. It's not my type of gardenia (where is the gardenia?) or jasmine ( sugary jasmine). I'm sure it's lovely on some but it hates me. I'm going back to my 22 and 19 and 5 and my Coco Mademoiselle in my hair and geez, I have to admit it, even Allure makes me happier than this one~ *pout*