August 27, 2014 | 1825 users online

Cleansers - Jergens - All-Purpose Face Cream

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2012 2:47:00 PM More reviews by IrisMartin

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I respect my fellow reviewers on this site immensely, so I mean no offense when I say that I'm not sure why some ladies are hung up on a packaging's looks. Now function of the packaging, another matter entirely. It has to be practical, fairly easy to use and functional. As far as this product is concerned, I think the "retro packaging" is endearing and has no bearing whatsoever on this product's effectiveness, which is awesome.

I am a dedicated cold cream user. I love the ads from the 1920's through the 60's for cold cream. But besides nostaglia, and an attachment to my mom and deceased sister who used to use cold cream and Jergens All Purpose Face Cream, this stuff really works.

Us gals now need to give a respectable "nod" to the ladies that went before us. We must not discount them as "old fashioned" and "out of touch" with today's skin care products and techniques. Sure, there are fabulous products today, but many of those products are really ineffective and very, very, overpriced. That is why I continually search for "wisdom from the past" and I am rarely disappointed.

I just switched from Pond's Cold Cream (because they changed their timeless, classic formulation in favor of....I still don't know what other than it irritates my skin to no end) to Jergens All-Purpose Face Cream and I am not sorry I did at all.

I use this as my cold cream and it works so wonderfully. Actually, I like it a tad better because it goes on very creamy. The smell, thankfully, does not bother me and seems to gets much less as I cream it into my face. I leave it on 10-15 minutes after I cream it in and then tissue off. I follow with my awesome Thayer's Rose Water Toner, then the awesome Cerave Moisturing Cream and I am cleansed and moisturized. Make-up is next....or not, depending on the day.

So again, no offense to my fellow reviewers. I respect your opinion, humor and insight immensely. It's just that I hope we all look at what's inside and the job it does more than "the pretty". Besides, look at it this way, we PAY MONEY for "pretty". JAPFC is very inexpensive because it's container is not as fancy-shmancy as some other products but that is super-okay with me. I just need it to work like it has for countless women before me, my mom and sis included and keep my face hydrated, moist, dewy and cleansed gently.

Love this product. I hope it stays exactly the same in packaging and for the product inside (unlike Pond's!).

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2012 8:14:00 AM More reviews by Kalya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This cream is very oily, even if it is used as a cold cream (wiped off). Yes, it does leave the skin soft and smooth but I prefer the Walgreens brand of cold cream as the latter brand seems hypoallergenic and not pore-clogging.
The original formula has changed and it now has DMDM Hydantoin and aluminum!
The packaging is okay, the large tub seems unhygienic.
Another issue is the artificial pink colour and the fragrance, which is very strong. I think it was the fragrance of this cream that may have resulted in white-heads on my cheeks and blackheads on the t-zone.
For me, blackheads occur due to clogged pores and whiteheads due to a possible allergic reaction.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2012 11:15:00 AM More reviews by kbenard

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

The Jar is so retro, I laugh whenever I have to stock. I Love this as a makeup remover because it removes everything and when I'm extra lazy or too "influenced" to do a thorough job this works as one step. It leaves your skin silky silky, but when I usually use this as a the precursor to my normal routine. I was an avid cold cream user but Ponds prices have become ridiculous so for 3.00 US I would recommends it to anyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2012 2:22:00 AM More reviews by Beeforth

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Grey, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wonderful product. The texture is just right - it removes make-up quickly and without making any mess. I cover my face with the cream then tissue off and tone. Don't use any water near my face as the water here is very saline. My only very tiny complaint is that the perfume is quite strong.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/22/2012 2:46:00 PM More reviews by kandrews580

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

FANTASTIC!!! LOVE THIS STUFF!!! Now I know why this stuff has been around for as long as it has! I use it to cleanse my face, not only does it cleans, it moisturizes as well. Granted, there are some days that I don't need all THAT moisture back in my skin. I run my tissue across the top of the cream and gently massage on my eye make-up. Next I get a warm washcloth and run it across the cream and gently massage my face. I rinse with warm water. Depending on how much moisturizer I think I need, I may or may not wait a minute or so and wipe again with a make-up removal towelette. It is INCREDIBLY gentle, and even though I take measures to remove excess cream after removal, I still get plenty of moisturizer! Even if I have that "heavy" and "greasy" feeling on my face when I go to bed, when I awake in the morning my skin is softer than I have felt in years! Plus my skin feels fresher, looks fresher, brighter, healthier, and as "fresh as a baby's butt"! Amazing!!! This stuff is the "plain ole" cold cream that has been around for years--unlike Ponds that has changed formulas over the years. It works great to moisturize feet and elbows. I have, however, added the clay mask into my beauty regimine to keep my pores from clogging. But I LOVE this stuff!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2012 2:21:00 PM More reviews by Junkie1

This is not actually a review because I have not had a chance to try this so called marvelous product. However, reading all the reviews about it on this site and on the Internet in general made me very curious so I started looking for it in drugstores and couldn't find it. I then emailed Jergens and they told me that because of declining sales it's not sold here (Montreal) anymore. They were nice enough to tell me of sites where I could order it. So if some of you ladies use and love this product here are the sites (perhaps the sales will go up again and they'll put it back on the market!).
Jergens All purpose face cream

www.nationwidecampus.com (800-269-6181)

www.myOTCstore.com

www.medichest.com (800-714-8875)

8 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2012 10:03:00 PM More reviews by JChrisBee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm the kind of person that likes to feel the lotion on my face. I like to know it's there. I don't need it to be too heavy like a discontued Mary Kay night cream I used to use. I loved the stuff for dry skin but it really weighed down my eyelids. So....

I'm not sure why I have never heard of this product until now. I stumbled across it at Amazon and was amazed at the price and reviews. I went to Walmart and bought a jar for less than $4. Couldn't believe it. (It doesn't come sealed so you have to check to make sure no one has touched inside of it.) I didn't even know that you could remove makeup with it. I'm not very schooled on cold creams and their uses. I had been using Pond's cold cream that I picked up in India while I was there and was impressed with the thickness. I think the formula is identical to the Mexican Pond's available at Walmart, as well. But after using Pond's, my t-zone was still dry the next day. For now, I'm needing some extra help for my dryness, and this Jergens face cream is doing the job. I used it to remove my makeup and removed with a warm wash cloth. I had no irritation from it and my eyes didn't sting either. Afterwards, I made sure my makeup was removed by using a cotton ball with a few drops of witch hazel. I had missed some makeup, but it wasn't the face cream's fault. After that, I put some more face cream on again and wiped off the excess with a tissue. My face feels wonderfully soft and protected. No dry, itchy feeling at all. A nice plus is that my lips feel like they have a lip balm on , as well. I wish I had known about this product sooner.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2012 11:39:00 AM More reviews by glossyxlipz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

This is a crucial step to my makeup removal ritual. Very effective at removing all my makeup without drying out my skin. I use it the same way another reviewer mention. I slather it over my skin,let it sit for a minute,then wipe off all my makeup with tissues or a towel. I prefer this to makeup wipes like MACs which has irritated my skin in the past. I will always repurchase. The jar is cute too.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2012 11:47:00 PM More reviews by Frenchycoco

Cheap, great smell. Works excellent. I use this product every night before bed and i stay moisturized all day. I grew up seeing my grandmothers using Jergens. What a wonderful product for under $4. I love the dewy look ;D

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2012 7:12:00 PM More reviews by huminahuminahuminahumina

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It has a couple of ingredients that it could do without, but I still like it as a cleanser especially now that Walgreens and CVS have changed their cold cream formulae and no longer resemble the original Ponds cold cream. That formula was lighter than Jergens, had only 7 ingredients (mineral oil, water, beeswax, ceresin, sodium borate, carbomer and fragrance), no DMDM hydantoin, no dye. The fragrance was a lot milder, too. Still, though, Jergens is a pretty good substitute, and I wouldn't hesitate to repurchase it.

Edit: I recently found a tub of the old formula cold cream at a small specialty store, neither Ponds nor any other recognizable brand. It had the requisite 7 ingredients. I've been using it since I ran out of the Jergens. It's significantly thinner in formulation. I could use it as a body moisturizer in cold weather. I wouldn't use the Jergens for that purpose. I do believe that the DMDM hydantoin is safe to use the way I use it, but I won't use it for long term contact with large swaths of skin.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No