October 21, 2014 | 1712 users online

Moisturizers - Alpha Hydrox - Enhanced Lotion - 10% AHA

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2013 2:21:00 PM More reviews by RustGospel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Alpha Hydrox products just don't seem to work for me at all. There. I said it.
This is the second time around that I've tried Alpha Hydrox's 10% range. Around this time last year I was using the 10% Enhanced Cream and this time I wound up with the 10% Enhanced Lotion. Neither of them have done anything for my skin aside from make it sticky (initially) and then insanely, incorrigibly dry.
I've waited between washing and then applying it, I've applied it directly after. I've used the Alpha Hydrox Foaming Facial Cleanser with it. I've waited between applying this and then moisturizer, I've done it immediately after. No matter how I've tried this in the many months I've been using it, it just doesn't deliver for me at all.
I picked it up hoping that this would give me the more even and glowing skin that other reviewers have reported. I hunted it down at my local Walgreens and paid a small fortune for both the lotion and the cleanser. Originally I had fully intended to try out the 12% because the 10% did nothing for my skin last time but of course, my Walgreens only carried 3 products: The 10% Enhanced Cream, The 10% Lotion, and the Foaming Facial Cleanser. I convinced myself that cleanser and this together might be more effective because last time I was not using a cleanser that was PH balanced. Nope, not at all. The only "results" that I garnered from these products was an unbearable dryness that couldn't seem to be countered by any moisturizer I tried and in turn started to result in irritation.
Needless to say, I am beyond unhappy with this purchase. When I contacted Alpha Hydrox about my concerns, I was rather rudely brushed off. I won't be trying any more of these products any time soon.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2013 2:33:00 AM More reviews by CaliCrossfitter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This has been fantastic for my skin. I notice a drastic difference in evenness and pore size between when I do and don't use. Cheap and simple.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2013 11:50:00 PM More reviews by kinkyjen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The first time I tried this (many years ago) was when you could still buy it in Canada & I could usually buy it at Zellers. I LOVED it!! My skin was oily & very acne prone at the time & this seemed to smooth my skin out considerably & calm down flare ups. Then it stopped being sold in Canada so I stopped buying it. Flash forward a few years & I found it on Ebay and purchased (my skin had changed by this time to dry/oily/wrinkles the odd break out) & this still worked!! The only problem was I wasn't as consistent with it as when I was younger but when I did use it consistently I noticed a significant improvement in my skin. I was so happy to read from a reviewer below that it was at Winners. Went to a local one today & purchased for $7.00 Canadian!!! This to me is a miracle in a huge ass bottle that lasts a long time for a very low price. Google the benefits of Alpha Hydroxy & then go out & get yourself a bottle of this & stick to using this for a month at least. If you are sensitive & get redness, build up your tolerance i.e only once a day to once every other day. If you start to purge, suck it up & stick with it for a month. I promise you will love the results!!! P.S I use this under my makeup (spf 20) & it works well.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2012 2:06:00 PM More reviews by eoconnor9484

Does it smell like glue? Yes, definitely. Can it give you a terrible reaction if your skin hates AHA? Yes. Alpha hydroxy can be very harsh and it really does not work for all skin types. I think it's best to be cautious with this lotion and apply it sparingly at first until you know for sure that your skin is OK with it. But for me, it has really helped to clear up the acne on my chin (cystic acne that started this year, when I turned 28. Ugh) and it has improved my overall skin tone (I have dry, sensitive, part Asian skin). Since it's so cheap, it's worth trying!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/3/2012 12:32:00 PM More reviews by Rebecca753

I bought this to replace the glycolic toner in the pro activ set, and so far I like it a lot better. It doesn't dry out my skin and I am able to use it every day. I only use it once a day, in the evening and it has helped the hyperpigmentation I have from acne on my chin. It also seems to help cystic blemishes heal faster. It is cheap and easy to find as well. I will definitely repurchase this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2012 4:08:00 PM More reviews by jskellis

This is perhaps the best treatment I've ever used for acne. I have found as I turned 22 that that brief period of clear skin bliss between the end of my teenaged acne and the begining of my hormonal adult acne was over.

I began to develope big pustule pimples and even some cystic acne along my jawline and for a year I diligently tried out several different treatments (BP, tea tree oil, neutrogena acne stress control, argan oil, various methods of gentle manual exfoliation) with no results.

I read reviews and the skin care board here on mua and decided to give an alpha hydrox glycolic acid product a try. The enhanced lotion had the best reviews and the highest repurchase percentage. And for a good reason: it's awesome! After months of diligence with other products, a few weeks of using this aha lotion started clearing my acne. My pimples have deflated and this is now working on clearing up my ULTRA STUBBORN red marks (I'm ghostly pale).

I find this greasy and it makes your skin photosensitive so I use it only at night. But I wake up with clearer, softer skin.

As a bonus, it's been keeping creeping fine lines at bay. I smoke and this lotion has thus far stopped my lines in their tracks.

I highly recommend this to oily people struggling with acne. Just make sure to wear sunscreen!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/5/2012 11:44:00 PM More reviews by mishkee

I am so sad that this didn't work :( I've been using it for almost two months and my skin looks pretty much the same. I had no problems with dryness or peeling. Yes it does burn a little but its not uncomfortable. I have clogged and enlarged pores and fine lines. So I thought this was gonna work for me cuz it's supposedly supposed to address all those issues.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2012 4:14:00 PM More reviews by M1KEY

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product is legit AMAZING! I've always wanted to try this brand but we don't sell it anywhere in Canada as far as i know. I was so STOKED to see a slew of bottles at my local winners for $8.99, so I of course bought one. I can't use this every night but every other night is okay! If i overuse it I tend to get little flakies. I can buff them away with a textured towel but I'd rather not.

This stuff takes my skin from good to PERFECT! I don't even need any foundation or powder but I still add a little bit of MUFE HD kind of through the center of my face and forehead and my skin looks unreal, but in a good way haha.

After seeing the amazing results I RAN back to winner with little hope but was so happy to find 2 more bottles buried in the shelves. I jumped on them!

The bottles are gonna last me a LONG time, so I'm happy to be stocked up!

But yea, this stuff just totally agrees with my skin. Even with nothing on my face, just a cleansed face, it glows! My skin has a natural sheen to it! It's never looked healthier! LOVE!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2012 3:49:00 AM More reviews by erovero

This stuff is amazing. I use it about three times a week, otherwise it dries out my face too much. It made my pores look smaller and made dark marks and blemishes go away. It keeps my skin clear. It's cheap and comes in a huge bottle.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2012 10:41:00 AM More reviews by cerafina205

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been using this for about 3 weeks. At first i was unsure about this product because it made the skin near my eye area and cheekbones very dry and appear wrinkled. Once I started avoiding the eye area all together, i loved it. It leaves the rest of my skin glowing and I am gradually improving the texture and look of my skin. I rated it as a four because i really wanted to use this product around by eyes because I am noticing fine lines but can't because it is too drying for that area.