Chanel Coco

on 7/14/2012 2:36:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE VINTAGE EDP VERSION OF COCO***

Coco is my holy grail perfume for when im feeling/dressing up in a low key femme fatale way. For me, Coco Chanel was love at first sniff. THIS is what i was expecting Aromatics elixir to smell like (based on how exoticly smokey the perfume ad implied). Clinique failed me, and i saw Coco on the "perfumes others liked" similar to aromatics elixir on fragantica. I bought it and now i am soo in love with coco! to me this is strictly a fall/winter/nighttime scent IMO. .Coco is THE classy/elegant and sexy scent. this is chanel n0 5's opposite sister. Coco is more daring. seductive,sensual,much less reserved.. as well as charming, witty yet still remaining completely elegant and classy.if you ever bump into the crazy party girl type wearing this (or N0 5) she's a damn poser. Coco chanel is not the club girl. nor the girl with one of those bad girls club type of personalities..The scent of COCO makes me think of brunettes.(not that blondes shouldn't wear it ). its just that Coco makes me think of colors like browns, black, reds etc . Coco is smokey, creamy, someone aged dark florals, with a nice somewhat sweet woodsy spice. i love the bottle and the color of the juice in it. it reminds me of whiskey in a tastefully designed whiskey decanter. if Chanel n0 5 is your holy grail, then i cannot imagine you liking this one.

EDIT:*** for those of you who have the vintage Coco edp, hold on to it reallll tight!. Coco edp has been reformulated some years ago (i had no idea), i purchased Coco edp at sephora last week and the perfume is nearly 100 % different from the 80's version.It smells great though. its more spicy(a sharp spice) its no longer "creamy" or "deep" not even floral to me. it smells kind of masculine now too, and somewhat fresh.. no longer dark, creamy florals and earthy like the vintage Coco. its more "modern". they both smell AMAZING in their own way. i just dont like that they changed the whole scent and are continuing to sell this as "COCO".they should have just changed the name to something else, and left the vintage Coco alone. i dont get why bother reformulating it anyway. so for those of you who adore your vintage coco edp, please know that the one sold in stores today IS NOT THE SAME .

After several years of wearing Mademoiselle, I finally ran out. I went shopping with my husband, planning on getting a second bottle, but also open to any new suggestions. Absentmindedly, I spritzed Coco on one wrist and Mademoiselle on the other, then held up my arms for my husband to try. Without hesitation, he chose the one with Coco. I was surprised, since we're a young-ish couple and most guys I know favor scents that are foody, sweet, or flirty--none of which describe Coco. I asked for a sample and used it on and off for a week, in which time I rapidly fell in love with it.

Coco is not an "old lady" scent, contrary to what many would say (or have said). It is unabashedly womanly--this is not a scent for the coquette. I have a lot of playful scents that hint at femininity and fun, but Coco is for the woman who already knows who she is. She has no need for silly games. She is the type of woman who can feel just as sexy in a suit or pajamas as she does in a skintight cocktail dress.

This scent is definitely not for everyone, but for me, it's perfect. It doesn't just sit on my skin, but melts into it, leaving a creamy, smoky, spicy warmth. And if you try it and are disappointed that it just isn't for you, don't worry--I tried it in my early twenties, absolutely hated it, and never saw myself wearing it. After several years, I can finally appreciate it for all its beauty.

on 5/9/2012 10:22:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

After being impressed with the likes of No. 5 and Allure, I had high hopes for Coco EDT. But alas, on me it smells like baby powder with a dash of some "spiciness" thrown in there. Adult baby powder if you will. Or a much, much less complex version of Opium. Which, to be fair, would probably totally rock on someone else's chemistry, perhaps it pulls spicier or more complex on other people. But as for me, it complimented neither my chemistry nor my personality. I should add though, that I've been completely hooked on a fabulous bottle of vintage Opium that I own, so it may be that I've been spoiled by the depth and complexity of that fragrance, which I consider to be very much like Coco (powdery and spicy) except much more complex and exotic. However, I hope to try the EDP formulation of Coco sometime soon and it's possible that I will have more luck with that. If I do, I'll update. Otherwise I'm going to have to peg this fragrance as solidly mediocre.

EDIT: I tried the EDP variety of this fragrance and let me tell you, there is a world of difference between the two concentrations. I absolutely love the EDP- it is all the spicy, earthy, mature floral goodness that I hoped for. I have gotten rid of the EDT perfume, but will cherish the EDP for years to come.

on 5/8/2012 11:53:00 PM

Eyes: Violet

my friend is a fan of this perfume and she introduced me to coco chanel. First squirt, instantaneous head ache. It dries to a bug chemical spray or mosquito repellant cintronella. Definitely more a more matured woman. Maybe one day the scent will grow on me when my senses become dull through the ages.

on 4/6/2012 12:22:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is a review for the EDP
Coco Chanel EDP smells awesome. The scent makes me so happy. It gives me positive feelings. I had never experienced a perfume that makes me so happy. I actually got this perfume on error because I asked for the EDT bottle and it was Thanksgiving and I was in a rush and when I got home I noticed it was the EDP instead of the EDT. I thought about exchanging it, but I fell in love with the scent. It is a much stronger scent, but I love it. I don't wear it at work because I find it too strong. I kept it to wear on special occasions.

on 4/5/2012 1:39:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

When I tried on a few Chanels in store, I liked the smell of Coco M best hence sprayed it on me. I liked the dry down too so bought a big bottle. Then after two days I found it...boring...

On the contrary, Coco is addictive. Maybe because weather is turing colder...it is warm, soothing, interesting, with just enough floral and spicyness, and just enough sensuality for day. It definitely does not scream "notice me". To me, it's perfect for day wear, and it provides wondeful sniffs all day long.

I have the EDP spray, and I've just bought the parfum and body cream because I love Coco so much! I'll write a review about them later.

Both Coco and Coco M are long lasting. I can smear them the second day after showers!

I also have No.5 Sensual Elixir (which I reserve for special occasions) and Shalimar (which is truly magical but too sexy for office).

on 3/31/2012 6:44:00 PM

This is not an everyday fragrance. As others have said, this is a night-time or cold weather perfume.

I've been on the fence about Coco. When I started exploring perfumes, I was drawn to the fruitier, lighter scents, and bought Coco Mlle. The thing is that the fruity florals or light florals just... aren't very interesting. Coco is interesting and on me, she's intellectual and sexy. Think leather-bound books, coffee with cream (no sugar), and a day alone. Coco is unabashedly round and smooth.

If you're looking for something deep, along the lines of YSL Opium or Guerlain Shalimar, I would consider Coco to be in that thread but a little friendlier (at least on me). So why the 4 star rating? Mostly because you have to be in the mood for Coco. If not, I can imagine that wearing her in the wrong setting would be a nightmare.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This edp is so mature...
Very spicy and too strong...so not suitable for me .i'm looking for floral fragrance which contains lots of white flowers and this edp not!!
BUT i have to admit that every Chanel Fragrance has special taste and strong yet classy.it's different from Dior's line.
Dior is more vivid and playful but Chanel is more classy.That;s why I'd prefer Chanel ....
This Coco is okay for mid age women... and smells CLASSY!!!
it's similar to YSL-Cinema but this Coco is better.

on 2/4/2012 3:11:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Coco is lovely... In SMALL amounts. Seriously, do not spray this more than twice, you will hate it. I spray once on the neck then rub my wrists on it. That way you get the loveliness of this perfume without choking yourself and others around you. Even the tiniest amount lasts all day! Classy fragrance.

on 1/26/2012 2:51:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Ah, Coco...starts out very in your face then settles into a very ladylike, but sexy scent. This is for a very confident woman who exudes class and sophistication... think buisness suit, but with the naughty lingere under it. You just have to get past the uptight exterior to the soft, sultry, femme fatale interior. I love this fragrance, but alas my horse does not so I don't wear it anymore. A classic none the less. Sillage is amazing so be careful with the application, this is the type of scent that you spray into the air and let it settle down onto you.

Popular Fragrances