October 31, 2014 | 1649 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2014 7:07:00 PM More reviews by RebDesnoyers

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is definatly in my top three red lipstick!

Pros:
ēLong-Lasting
ēBeautiful, deep Red
ēPigmented (obviously, you get what you pay for!)

Cons:
ēSlightly drying.

The dryness of the lipstick is nothing a good waxy lip balms can't fix and even if it wasn't "fixable" the color and the lasting power of this lipstick is worth the dryness.

I wore this lipstick throughout my stay at Disney Land and it didn't budge after a long day of walking, drinking and talking. This lipstick is amazing and if your on the fence about buying it, (I know, we all say it: it's a red lipstick! There's a ton of dupes for them), and their probably is, but this lipstick is worth every penny.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2014 6:35:00 PM More reviews by Leahapril21

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the most beautiful red lipstick I have ever seen. It is a gorgeous cherry red shade with blue undertones and is very long lasting. Seeing as it is a retro matte formula it is quite drying, but nothing a waxy lip balm underneath shouldn't fix (you should be using one anyway before applying lipstick). I tried this on in the store before purchasing and when I walked out into the street, the lipstick literally turns heads! I'm usually self-conscious about wearing bright lipstick but this gives a great confidence boost and would suit all skin tones. Would definitely purchase again!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2014 2:27:00 AM More reviews by megumiforyou

best. red lipstick. ever.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2014 7:31:00 AM More reviews by Naysweetz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am usually a Mac "Snob" girl, but once I tried Ruby woo I haven't stopped wearing it. I love this lipstick. The matte finish is perfect ..sometimes I put on a small amount of Mac lip conditioner in the tube depending on the feel of my lips before applying lipstick to avoid flaking. Ruby woo is very long lasting!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2014 5:24:00 PM More reviews by dtten

No comparison. The goddess of red lipstick. Do not waste money or time buying "dupes". This is THE BEST RED LIPSTICK YOU WILL EVER OWN. I wish I could get back all the money spent on reds that don't hold a candle to this ruby gem. Mac is truly king. Do yourself a very big favor and own this exquisite color. When applying you do not need to use a lot. Use a lip brush and please moisturize lips beforehand. I rarely post reviews but I felt so strongly about this magic ruby shade that I had to. You're welcome :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2014 8:15:00 PM More reviews by Painter94x

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My favorite true blue red. I'm already on my second tube of the lipstick I used up my first one like almost all through my senior year in high school. So bold and velvet looking on the lips. It smells real good too. Kinda pricy but well worth it ;)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2014 5:17:00 AM More reviews by isabelleandtheo

Perfect red lipstick +

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2014 3:05:00 PM More reviews by whiteparfait

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Try this with the prep + prime lip and you'll get the most stunning red lips! I reeeally love this color. It's too extreme for everyday use, but I love when I get the opportunity to use it.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/15/2014 12:44:00 AM More reviews by srhgts

So, so, so dry but still manages to bleed everywhere. The colour looks lovely but it's just totally unwearable. My lips were so uncomfortable any time I tried to wear this I had to take it off. Total waste of money. Never encountered a lip product before that made my lips much drier than doing nothing at all. The texture of the bullet is so dry it's practically crumbly!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2014 12:18:00 AM More reviews by RustGospel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I guess itís safe to say that Iím no longer a fraud. For years and years I had the audacity to think of myself as somewhat of a red lipstick connesiour despite never having tried the mother of all reds. Thatís right- Ruby Woo. Having been lured in with alleged dupes or lead astray by tight budgets, itís taken a long time but I have finally been able to try it. Alas, I have truly been initiated into the Red Lipstick Fiend club all thanks to our beloved Ruby Woo.

Basically, as we all well know, Ruby Woo sort of holds the title as being the pinnacle of sumptuous matte red perfection. When they say that it is retro matte, they are not joking either. Even as a lover of matte formulations, I was almost taken aback by the dryness of Ruby Wooís formula. When the MAC sales associate asked me if I was planning on buying a liner I shrugged it off, I guess thinking that maybe she was hoping to make another sale. When I got it home and took it on itís first test run, I instantly understood why she really may have asked. Ruby Woo is so dry that it is genuinely a struggle to get smooth edges with just the use of a lip brush. The best comparison that I can make to describe the effect I get when I try to smooth it over the edges of my lips is that of a crayon. A really, really shitty RoseArt crayon. You know how crayons sometimes leave those small unblended, hard hunks of wax on the paper when youíve maybe barred down too hard on the paper? Ruby Woo kind of does something like that. Luckily, being so resourceful and all, I made use of the Estee Lauder lip conditioner (basically just a lipstick sans pigment) that I got as a hand-me-down to remedy this issue somewhat. I pick up a little lip conditioner on my brush before taking some Ruby Woo from the bullet to get the smooth lines I desire. This is a bit of an annoyance to me considering that by mixing Ruby Woo with something that isnít matte, it can compromise the wear around the edges of my mouth somewhat. Plus it makes the application a little more tedious. Mind you, none of this should be an issue for you if youíre more of a carefree type who doesnít mind applying straight from the bullet or maybe likes to dab the edges out slightly for a softer affect.

This is probably going to garner a bit of shade, but MACís matte formulations are not my favorite by any means. They look truly gorgeous on the mouth but I just donít feel like they wear as well as they should. Though Ruby Woo is dry, I find that the dryness in combination with the thinner texture of the lipstick means that Iím apt to actually have MORE wear than I would with other formulas. It moves surprisingly easily in the corners of my mouth for some reason and can bleed out. Iím extremely careful about how I drink when wearing lipstick and this is just never a problem Iíve had with any other matte formulation. Even my Revlon matte can withstand a careful sip from a bottle without smearing. Ruby Woo on the other hand, is a bit fussier. Trying to touch this up after said incidents isÖsometimes a little appalling. Iíve touched up from the bullet before and the texture was so dry on my mouth that the lipstick actually BALLED UP and CRUMBLED. That was definitely a first also!

Now, all these things considered, the main reason that I love Ruby Woo and will keep it a staple is the beautiful color. Folks, this is THE PERFECT RED-RED. I still consider it to be mainly neutral despite pulling oh-so slightly cool because I donít think the blue-undertones in this are overt enough to make it off putting on warmer tones and definitely don't seem like enough to make it turn pink on some people. The blue merely serves to make it pop and of course helps make your teeth a bit more sparkly. Ruby Woo is exactly that same bright shade of red that Iíve seen time and time again in 1950ís girlie magazine scans (where else but Tumblr, right?) and I will always have it for that reason. Itís not brick, not pink, not orange. Just the most perfect saturated, Technicolor RED. I canít help but feel sexy when wearing it. Maybe even a little salaciousÖ
So, in spite of Ruby Wooís diva behavior I love it. The color is so gorgeous that I can deal. I will however say that if you plan on wearing this in a very full-on way, get a liner or at least be prepared to get creative.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No