October 1, 2014 | 1814 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2014 3:05:00 PM More reviews by whiteparfait

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Try this with the prep + prime lip and you'll get the most stunning red lips! I reeeally love this color. It's too extreme for everyday use, but I love when I get the opportunity to use it.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/15/2014 12:44:00 AM More reviews by srhgts

So, so, so dry but still manages to bleed everywhere. The colour looks lovely but it's just totally unwearable. My lips were so uncomfortable any time I tried to wear this I had to take it off. Total waste of money. Never encountered a lip product before that made my lips much drier than doing nothing at all. The texture of the bullet is so dry it's practically crumbly!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2014 12:18:00 AM More reviews by RustGospel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I guess itís safe to say that Iím no longer a fraud. For years and years I had the audacity to think of myself as somewhat of a red lipstick connesiour despite never having tried the mother of all reds. Thatís right- Ruby Woo. Having been lured in with alleged dupes or lead astray by tight budgets, itís taken a long time but I have finally been able to try it. Alas, I have truly been initiated into the Red Lipstick Fiend club all thanks to our beloved Ruby Woo.

Basically, as we all well know, Ruby Woo sort of holds the title as being the pinnacle of sumptuous matte red perfection. When they say that it is retro matte, they are not joking either. Even as a lover of matte formulations, I was almost taken aback by the dryness of Ruby Wooís formula. When the MAC sales associate asked me if I was planning on buying a liner I shrugged it off, I guess thinking that maybe she was hoping to make another sale. When I got it home and took it on itís first test run, I instantly understood why she really may have asked. Ruby Woo is so dry that it is genuinely a struggle to get smooth edges with just the use of a lip brush. The best comparison that I can make to describe the effect I get when I try to smooth it over the edges of my lips is that of a crayon. A really, really shitty RoseArt crayon. You know how crayons sometimes leave those small unblended, hard hunks of wax on the paper when youíve maybe barred down too hard on the paper? Ruby Woo kind of does something like that. Luckily, being so resourceful and all, I made use of the Estee Lauder lip conditioner (basically just a lipstick sans pigment) that I got as a hand-me-down to remedy this issue somewhat. I pick up a little lip conditioner on my brush before taking some Ruby Woo from the bullet to get the smooth lines I desire. This is a bit of an annoyance to me considering that by mixing Ruby Woo with something that isnít matte, it can compromise the wear around the edges of my mouth somewhat. Plus it makes the application a little more tedious. Mind you, none of this should be an issue for you if youíre more of a carefree type who doesnít mind applying straight from the bullet or maybe likes to dab the edges out slightly for a softer affect.

This is probably going to garner a bit of shade, but MACís matte formulations are not my favorite by any means. They look truly gorgeous on the mouth but I just donít feel like they wear as well as they should. Though Ruby Woo is dry, I find that the dryness in combination with the thinner texture of the lipstick means that Iím apt to actually have MORE wear than I would with other formulas. It moves surprisingly easily in the corners of my mouth for some reason and can bleed out. Iím extremely careful about how I drink when wearing lipstick and this is just never a problem Iíve had with any other matte formulation. Even my Revlon matte can withstand a careful sip from a bottle without smearing. Ruby Woo on the other hand, is a bit fussier. Trying to touch this up after said incidents isÖsometimes a little appalling. Iíve touched up from the bullet before and the texture was so dry on my mouth that the lipstick actually BALLED UP and CRUMBLED. That was definitely a first also!

Now, all these things considered, the main reason that I love Ruby Woo and will keep it a staple is the beautiful color. Folks, this is THE PERFECT RED-RED. I still consider it to be mainly neutral despite pulling oh-so slightly cool because I donít think the blue-undertones in this are overt enough to make it off putting on warmer tones and definitely don't seem like enough to make it turn pink on some people. The blue merely serves to make it pop and of course helps make your teeth a bit more sparkly. Ruby Woo is exactly that same bright shade of red that Iíve seen time and time again in 1950ís girlie magazine scans (where else but Tumblr, right?) and I will always have it for that reason. Itís not brick, not pink, not orange. Just the most perfect saturated, Technicolor RED. I canít help but feel sexy when wearing it. Maybe even a little salaciousÖ
So, in spite of Ruby Wooís diva behavior I love it. The color is so gorgeous that I can deal. I will however say that if you plan on wearing this in a very full-on way, get a liner or at least be prepared to get creative.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/14/2014 3:09:00 PM More reviews by moh10

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

WAY TO RED

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2014 4:10:00 AM More reviews by toria444

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a classic red for a vintage look. It's matte so wear lip balm underneath. I use MAC's Cherry lip liner with this and it compliments well.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2014 11:11:00 PM More reviews by nocturnem

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I own a lot of red lipsticks (it's the only color I buy again and again, I'm obsessed!), but Ruby Woo is hands down my favorite. It's the most pigmented, long lasting, beautiful cool shade of red that's also flattering on most skintones. I'm very, very pale (NC05) and it looks dramatic without being too vampy, and I love how it can look extremely bright and almost neon-y under certain lights, or darker and seductive. The first time I tried it on at a MAC store I walked out in Times Square and got nods of approval from random people in the street, ha!
The texture is kinda dry, so I like to rub the lipstick twice on my hand before applying to warm it up a little bit, but then I find that it glides on without much effort. You only need one swipe or two at most of this on the lips, it's so opaque. It's a matte so don't expect it to be moisturizing, but I don't find it drying either, and my lips are always very dry and chapped. It's best to lightly exfoliate and moisturize the lips well, then take the lip balm off just before applying Ruby Woo. It feels absolutely weightless on the lips and I even forget I've got it on sometimes, and it's comfortable for hours.
It will last through drinks and meals provided you're not eating very oily things and you're a little careful not to lick your lips or rub it off with a napkin. I've had both salads and desserts wearing it and only needed a minor touch up, but it didn't last through Chinese take-out! (nothing will, though)

Just a tip: when you apply it, do NOT rub your lips together. Doing so will result in it highlighting all flakes and dry patches on the lips. It will make a world of difference if you apply it separately on the top lip and lower lip. Afterwards, wait a few seconds before rubbing your lips together if you want to (though I still wouldn't) to let the lipstick set.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2014 11:31:00 AM More reviews by quartzrocker

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Deep Dark, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am a woman of african american descent. My complexion is dark, like every foundation i have is called "cocoa" or "earth" or whatever is the darkest foundation availablr. So it's safe to assume that my upper lip is more heavily pigmented than my lower. My lips are also the most chapped ever! I mean mean ever! My lips hate most lip glosses and lipsticks. My lips would automatically peel if i put on anything but vaseline or chapstick and let me tell you this is my first lipstick love affair. This complements my cool complexion so beautifully. I use my eos lip balm as a primer, NO PENCIL OR LINER, and just go to town with this lipstick. It lasts through drinks and food for a long time and its so perfect i love it so much. There is hope for my chapped sisters. And hope, thy name is ruby woo. It looks like a blood red on my dark lips and i love it better than russian or mac red. As a matter of fact im about to exchange this mac red for another ruby woo!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/10/2014 10:52:00 PM More reviews by lipstickwoo

well i think tnis color looks nice(but bold also) on my lips. funny thing is even though it is a blue toned red, it makes my warm toned face glow like never(still in a very noticable way though)! however the textuse of this tube is a nightmare. if i simply try to apply the color onto my lips with bare hand, i can not do it cause it is too hard&dry. if i put good amount of lipbalm first, then the color leaks out everywhere and runs off my lips just after several sips of water.and i shall let you know how horrible it looks after a meal; almost all the color is gone leaving only uneven spots like shade on top of my lips but bottom. just terrible. worst of my lipsticks ever. i think i will try the third time using a brush. not possible to year,not possible to keep.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2014 9:44:00 PM More reviews by nostradamus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

If you're going for a true red, look no further than MAC. It was a toss-up for me between Ruby Woo and Russian Red and I ultimately chose Ruby because it's brighter and not as serious and vampy-looking as the latter. Now that I've worn it on and off for the past few years, I feel that both these reds cater to different moods. For Ruby, it's a lively mood that easily attracts the notice of others, but if you're in a more subdued mood, I might lean toward Russian Red. As others have noted, Ruby is MATTE and to avoid looking like a pin-up girl come to life, consider paring down the eye makeup.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 5:58:00 PM More reviews by Nene2012

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Hands down the perfect lipstick for EVERY skintone. The best way to wear it is with very minimal makeup on your eyes: eyeliner and mascara are all you need. Ruby Woo stands out on it's own, so anything else on your face would make it " a little too much" for daily wear. Absolutely gorgeous!