MAC Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

4.4

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is my first ever MAC lipstick and I'm so beyond happy with it. I always heard people talk about this lipstick and how gorgeous it was, but I'm one of those people that refuses to spend a lot of money on something that is dupeable. I looked for ages trying to find a dupe for this lipstick, but there just didn't seem to be anything like it. Sure, there were colours that were kind of similar to it, but I really wanted it not just for the colour, but for the ultra matte velvety look it gives. After trying it, I can honestly say it was all it was hyped up to be and more. Its super opaque, long wearing, very matte, and is the most beautiful blue toned red colour that will flatter ANY skin tone and make your teeth look WHITE. The only downside to this lipstick is that it is a very dry formula and doesn't layer too well once it dries, so I would definitely recommend exfoliating your lips and applying lip balm before you apply this lipstick, otherwise it will just cling and drag to the dry parts of your lips. Other than that, this lipstick is perfection.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

HONEST first impression review: I've been contemplating buying Ruby Woo forever and finally gave in. It is so dry and very trying just to get it on my lips! I have several matte lipsticks incl. MAC that doesn't have this issue. After finally getting it on my lips though the COLOR is just amazing. I'm a lover of red lipsticks and this is definitely red! I'm not sure if I will be repurchasing. NARS also has a velvet matte that I keep going back to - Cruella which has a lot better consistency (easy to put on) and also has the same long lasting staying power.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral

Ok here goes, officially my first review. I wanted to buy this lipstick for the longest time but I already had such a big collection of red lipsticks. Finally I took the plunge and let me just say I am in love!!! This colour really does suit every skin tone. Today I wore it with no other makeup aside from some concealer and mascara and I felt like a diva. love love love!!!

So so drying but the staying power is incredible! I have had 2 in the past but haven't repurchased for a 3rd time as wanted to try another of MACs reds but I think I will always return to this its a staple lippy!

When I first started getting into makeup, this is one of the first lipsticks I've ever purchased. It is highly pigmented and compliments any skin tone! On my NC42 skin tone it looks absoutely amazing! However for the price, I can't justify buying this again. An exact dupe for this is Wet n Wild's Stoplight Red which is only $2.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

If you are in the market for red lipstick look no further this is the one. I mean come on its MAC!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

This is probably the best red red ever. I really loooove the colour but the retro matte texture makes it tricky to spread on my lips. That's the only dissapointing thing to get that gorgeous velvet look on your lips.

When people warn you this lipstick is matte and you need a lip primer/moisterize before using THEY'RE NOT KIDDING. It's not a suggestion, you NEED to have a base before you put it on or you will have the driest, crackliest lips ever.

Having said that, this colour is gorgeous. I personally feel it's bit overwhelming for me (NC15) but I've been told it looks stunning (my friends brother complimented me, same brother that mocked me for spending money on makeup).

Personnally I feel like i'm too pale to wear such a vibrant colour though, it gives a very snow white going to a halloween party or night in town look, not really an everyday look even if I do sometimes treat it like my go to nude lipstick :D I love this lipstick so much it entirely changed my view on red lipsticks.

The matte finish is on point, it's truly matte, no shine, no sheer or sheen, nothing but matte and so vibrant it doesn't even matter if you're in your sweat pants on laundry day with baggy eyes and acne, once you wear this lipstick (or maybe any bright red lipstick) you feel like you can conquer a nation from your couch wearing a three day old t-shirt and mismatched socks.

Mac lipsticks (to me) smell like chocolate. The packaging is a bit boring but it's a pretty sturdy little lipstick. The cap stays on well.

It doesn't last very long when you eat and it definitely leaves stains on cups so you need touchups. Anti-feathering lip stuff won't lock it in other, and it bleeds easily because it's so red a tiny smudge will be completely noticeable.

Definitely claim your territory (be it your bf or a plastic cup at a housewarming thing)!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

wow, the best lipstick i've tried so far! From shade to staying power this is the BEST! I do use it with the Prep and Prime for lips AND the lipliner in Ruby Woo. It stays put for hours and hours, even after meals and drinks. I adore it!!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool