April 20, 2014 | 1004 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2013 3:45:00 AM More reviews by EmilyRaymond

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

I randomly went to the MAC makeup counter and asked for a red lipstick that wouldn't look absolutely ridiculous on me. I am very pale with very dark hair and blue eyes. I've always thought my eyes looked kind of weird with red lipstick and I haven't found a red I actually feel confident wearing yet. First, the girl suggested Russian red, but it was much too dark for me and made my lips look much thinner than they are - not what I was going for. Next, she gave me ruby woo to try and to be honest, I wasn't sure if I really liked it or not at first. After walking around the mall for about half an hour, I decided I loved it! I got compliments from total strangers on it. This lipstick is a MUST for pale girls because of its bluish undertones, although I'm sure it looks fantastic on many skintones. I actually like the retro matte finish with red lipsticks more than any other finish. It looks so classic and not as trashy as some of the ├╝ber-shiny reds I've tried. It's bright, but it isn't overpowering. It made me feel like a real life Snow White! Another plus for ruby woo, I was wearing a brown smokey eye when I tried it and it didn't look ridiculously overdone. One thing I don't like about this lipstick is how hard it is to actually get it on your lips. It does tug and pull as you put it in, but the colour payoff is crazy! I personally have not experienced any more drying from this lipstick as I usually do, but god knows I will considering how chapped my lips are in general. However, it's nothing a good base or balm can't fix! Overall, the drying effect is a small price to pay for such an amazing lipstick! I wouldn't feel awkward wearing this to school or even a family function because it's THAT wearable. So happy this is in the permanent collection!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2013 9:52:00 PM More reviews by Niza9

This is on my MAC lipstick favorites list for sure! I love the blue undertones in this lipstick and it looks great on almost every skin tone. A lot of people can pull it off. This lipstick gives a glamorous, sophisticated look and that is why I love it. The whitening effect it has on your teeth is also a big plus :) great shade, totally recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2013 8:17:00 PM More reviews by flybaby

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this lipstick! It is a staple of mine. It is a deep but vibrant cool red. Makes teeth look nice and white. It stays on extremely well, very low transfer, probably in the top three I own in this department.

I personally don't find it to be drying (I've used City Lips every night for a decade now, and between faithful use & taking omega 3's just don't have dry lips- any season, any lipstick)

It is NOT a dupe for Nars Dragon Girl. DG is brighter, lighter, cooler, slightly less matte, and even though it stays on well, it does not compare to lasting quality of Ruby Woo.

To create Dragon Girl using MAC lipstick, layer Candy Yum Yum over top of Ruby Woo. Perfect match.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/21/2013 7:56:00 PM More reviews by Marquita1986

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So I am a deeper skin tone and so some times I have to tweak lipsticks in order for them to look decent. I have always loved the way red looked on black women but I was not sure I could pull it off. That's at least until I found Mac's Ruby Woo lipstick. This is the only red lipstick I wear. The shade looks awesome with my complexion. The color last all day. The only down thing is that it can be a little drying, but I put chapstick underneath to help moisturize my lips. If you want to see how I apply Ruby Woo then check out my YouTube channel. Here is the link

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2013 5:33:00 AM More reviews by moosefied

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

its my very first red lipstick and i loooooooove it.
totally looks classy and the teeth whitening effect is superb. last looooooooooong on my lips, its there, always there, no fading what so ever. i dont wear this everyday because the drying formula really hurt my lips. i just saved this for my special occasions. i buy another one for my mom, she's 54years old and this one makes her looks super gorgeous and look younger too..
hope theres a reformulation for this.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2013 9:51:00 PM More reviews by waffle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Oh, this is a gorgeous color. And I say this with about 30+ red lippies in my stash. For reference, I'm a cool-toned NW15 with dark hair and eyes (color analysis: bright winter). Although I love reds, I never apply them too heavily -- I always prefer a lighter, stained effect instead. So many swatches or pics I see of Ruby Woo are applied with a medium- or heavy-hand. So I'm writing this in case you, like me, prefer to have a really light coating of red instead.

My lips are chronically dry despite massive amounts of lip balm and MAC lippies are just terrible for them. But I was so interested in a bright cherry red lippie that I decided to get it anyway.

I need a healthy dose of lip balm underneath. It probably shouldn't be the slippery type (a la Aquaphor, Vaseline, etc.). It should probably have some grip, whether sticky (like Bobbi Brown's lip balm) or waxy (Burt's Bees) or, my personal favorite, velvety (Nuxe Reve de Miel). I put on a thick coating of lip balm while applying the rest of my make up to let the balm sink in.

When it's time to do my lips, I blot the lip balm off gently with a tissue (not too hard; that way some balm stays on). Then I apply Ruby Woo from the bullet with a light-medium hand. With any other lippie, I usually just pat/dab it on and then rub my lips together to blend it, but that's not possible with Ruby Woo -- it is so matte that it won't budge when you rub your lips together; it'll just look patchy. So instead, I swipe it on evenly, and then press my lips together repeatedly (not rubbing) to really "push" it into the lips and make it sink in, then I blot heavily with a tissue again. This gives me a matte -- but not retro matte -- bright cherry red stain. If I want it a little heavier, I swipe it on again and blot once more. That gives me more of a pure red, opaque look.

Anyway, I usually just go with one swipe for that stained effect. It is SO PRETTY. It makes it look like I have naturally slightly bright, red flushed lips. It barely fades throughout the day, and when it does, it does so evenly. Because I put a good balm underneath it (Nuxe for the win), it's not drying (although it is matte). A must-have, for sure.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2013 12:19:00 AM More reviews by galsunday

The Mac store near where i live, ran out of RiRi Woo, so i got this after reading reviews this was a dupe. I apply lip balm first then apply the lipstick to prevent drying. I outlined using Mac Subculture lip liner to prevent bleeding. I love it! The color payoff is gorgeous! It looks so chic. Its the perfect red for year end parties!!! yay!!...It looks velvety on my lips yet feels light... It makes my teeth look whiter. It lasted 4 hours on me. Im in a happy place!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/9/2013 10:44:00 AM More reviews by vickydc829

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I love the color of ruby woo but this definitely dries out my lips! I've tried putting lipbalm underneath but it doesn't work and leaves me with flaky lips that is just ewww. I can't stop rubbing my lips everytime I have this on because it's just that dry. I hope mac reformulates this because I really love the color.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2013 9:12:00 PM More reviews by Sage6o4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this lipstick! I'm not big on red lipstick but Ruby Woo has really won me over. The first red lipstick I got was MAC Russian Red, and I had a negative experience with it making me look veryyyy trashy, I know a lot of people like RR but it just wasn't for me. Anyways, after being scared of red lipstick for years I decided to give Ruby Woo a try after seeing my favorite MAC girl wearing it and looking just gorgeous. I'm so glad I did, I find RW to be a much more flattering shade of red on me, it's a PERFECT pin up style red, where RR is a darker, less matte, bluer red. I know the finish of RW has lost it a lot of lippies because it is very dry, however, I like the uber matte finish! Yes, you do have to take a few extra precautions with this lipstick due to the dryness: exfoliate, balm and liner, but if you're going to wear a bright red lipstick, you should probably be taking those precautions anyway. For me, the dryness adds to the retro glam feel, making it very timeless and much classier than any of the shinier reds. Feels like something Marilyn Monroe would have worn herself, and the matte-ness adds to the lasting power making it stay on FOREVER, literally all night even after drinking and eating! I use Ruby Woo with Cherry lip pencil and it's a great match. Ruby woo is in a class of its own, so bright and attention grabbing but beautiful and classy at the same time. 5 big lippies for this one! I really want to try more Retro Matte shades now....

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2013 4:55:00 AM More reviews by RedLipsBlackHair

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

One of the best reds out there. So bright, one of the brightest, and is as matte as can be, just like I like. So dry a lip brush wont pick it up for me, love it. I love Ruby Woo forever.