Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

3.6

Not tested on animals

Castile Soap (Water (Aqua), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tall Oil, Potassium Hydroxide), Glycerin, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil*, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal) Root Extract, Hedychium Coronarium Root Extract (Awapuhi), Fucus Vesiculosus Extract (Bladderwrack), Cymbopogon Martini Oil (Palmarosa), Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Peel Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Oil, Callitris Intratropica Wood Oil (Blue Cypress) *Eco-HarvestĀ®

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I actually don't think this is a bad product by any means, but it did not suit my skin type at all. My skin is what I'd call normal to sensitive and I rarely get breakouts (either stress-induced or I have to totally neglect my skin for a long time), which are always mild. I needed a new facial cleanser that was natural, mild, and would help with the breakout I was having at the time. While it did help with my breakout, it dried out my entire face and even left chemical burns in some areas, not fun. I had to take this back to the store after only a few uses to exchange for something else. I will not repurchase and would only recommend this for less sensitive, more oily skin.

PROS:
- Affordable
- Attractive packaging
- Nice, natural smell that doesn't give me a headache
- Clears up breakouts
- I love the pump
- A little goes a long way
- Natural ingredients
- Would work well for oilier, less sensitive complexions

CONS:
- A little TOO cleansing bordering on harsh; it left my skin feeling stripped
- Very drying; left my whole face dry and flaky for days after stopping use
- Increased oil production in my T-zone (before it dried it out...)
- Left visible (but thankfully mild) burns on my face
- Not good for twice or even once daily use
- Does not suit my normal to sensitive complexion at all

on 9/20/2011 5:49:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

The pump on this is annoying, but it's a really good face wash. It gets off much more dirt and makeup than other cleansers I've tried. It's great for people with acne prone skin. I've had clear skin since I started using it. It takes a little getting used to at first because it can be drying, especially in combination with the Tea Tree oil cleansing pads. But this really worked for my acne issues. I don't get breakouts anymore. AT ALL! Just make sure you use a really good quality moisturizer for your skin type. It took about a month to see full results, but improvement after about a week.

I like the smell.
Pump squirts too much out if you press down too hard.
And the thing is, it doesn't go in your hand, it goes straight, most likely landing on a wall.
Made my skin look really nice, but didn't help with breakouts. (Like AT ALL)
It does last a LOOOOONGGG time.
Packaging changed from the picture, which makes it look sleeker, and better.
It's alright.
My skin got kinda dry after, though.

on 8/14/2011 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

HG face wash. I have oily skin and you can't beat the cleaning power of this cleanser. Really good for acne - the tea tree oil really dries it out. I like that tight, squeaky-clean feeling afterwards. Yes, you have to follow up with a moisturizer but you should be doing that anyway.

This is a liquid cleanser, so if you're not careful you'll spill it. I like to put it in a foaming pump bottle which makes it easier to use.

Others don't like the scent of Tea Tree Oil, but it's fine with me.

By the way, you can get the economy refill size (946 ml) for a little more than the price of a regular pump bottle (250 ml).

Have tried other more expensive cleansers but keep coming back to this one. Definitely buy again.

on 8/10/2011 7:32:00 PM

Although it's now summer and my skin is more oily than usual, but this cleanser dry my skin pretty badly; even more so than anything I used before. For those with very oily skin, I can see how this might be a good one, but like most people already pointed out, it's definitely not recommended for dry, or perhaps even normal skin. A moisturizer is a MUST after cleansing with this product. It will take off everything, and I literally mean everything on your face, which is bad because it stripped your skin of natural oil. Unless you feel that it truly balances your skin, again I would not recommend anything that make your face feel tight and dry. Regardless of skin type, the best cleanser should be gentle and not irritating.

on 4/30/2011 1:03:00 AM

I like this face wash. I don't like it as much as my Giovanni D:Tox system facial cleanser, but I use this if my face is drier than usual. It works great with my clarisonic classic. The oil and whatever else comes clean off. The smell is kind of weird but not bad, and it doesn't break me out at all! I use a moisturizer after this, but I don't think it's drying like other reviews said. I don't like the pump because it clogs and starts squirting all over the place. This cleanser is a LIQUID - not a gel or anything. I just put it in a newer bottle and it's fine!

on 4/18/2011 9:05:00 PM

loved the smell and clean feeling of this cleanser but just too drying on the skin. Makes for an awesome foundation brush cleaner though :)

on 4/16/2011 11:04:00 AM

I really love this stuff and use it after my regular cleanser at night to remove the oil and dirt from my face. I like the clean feeling I get from using it. It can be a bit drying at times, but nothing a bit of moisturizer can't fix.

on 4/14/2011 2:54:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I used to use this product all the time (because I was on some sort of organic craze) anyway, it worked really good! Though it can be a bit drying (especially for my already dry skin) so be sure to moisturize after using. I don't use this face wash anymore, though I let my friend use it as a body wash when he got poison oak and it helped get rid of it! Way to go TTO! This product tends to coagulate in the dispenser, causing it to spurt out so be careful and do NOT point this at your eyes in case that happens!

on 2/18/2011 7:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I bought this product because I absolutely am obsessed with their daily facial lotion. Unfortunately this made me break out. Complete let down.