Aveda Madder Root Conditioner

4.2

Ingredients: Aqueous Purified Water Extracts: Rubia Tinctorum Extract, Clover Extract, Henna Extract, Sweet Almond Extract, Wild Cherry Bark Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Extract (Organically Grown), Dipalmitoylethyl Hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate (Palm), Stearyl Alcohol (Mixed Plant), Dimethicone Copolyol (Silica), Glycerin (Coconut), Behenamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate (Rapeseed), Distearyldimonium Chloride (Coconut), Babassu Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Tocopheryl Acetate, Oryzanol (Rice Bran), Stearyldimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolzed Wheat Protein, Glyceryl Stearate (Coconut), Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride (Guar Beans), Dicapryl Ether (Coconut), Cetyl Alcohol (Coconut), Cetrimonium Chloride (Mixed Plant), Cyclomethicone (Silica), Cetyl Hydroxyethylcellulose (Cellulose), Sodium Citrate (Molasses), Citric Acid (Molasses), Fragrance, Diazolidinyl Urea, Annatto (Colorant), Basic Brown 16 (Colorant), Basic Red 76 (Colorant)

on 6/2/2008 2:44:00 PM

"HOW TO KEEP THE COLOR YOU WALK OUT OF THE SALON WITH"
O.k., I know that was horrible grammar, but I know of no other way to get my point across. I would not recommend this for lighter copper shades of red hair. If you have dark auburn or unnaturally red colored hair, you definitely need to purchase this. The secret to keeping the same color is to use this and the Conditioner Only Method for shampooing and conditioning your hair. If you're not familiar with this, you simply use this instead of shampoo every time you wash your hair. Apply it to the ends and then apply it to the scalp. Bend over and rub your scalp all over for about 1 minute and let it sit while you finish your shower. This stuff actually removes the daily build up and greasy feel from your roots and extends the life of your color. The sodium laurel sulfate that is in normal shampoo is actually what is used in dishwashing detergent to remove grease from dishes, so imagine how much color it strips from your hair. I recommend buying a towel that you will use exclusively for drying your hair, because it will leave red residue, but it is easily washes out in a normal laundry cycle. I promise your color will be the exact same 3 weeks after you've had the dye job.

on 2/18/2008 6:32:00 PM

I have natural red highlights but this has given my dark brown hair a (natural) electric red sheen. I put it on, put on a shower cap and sit in the gym sauna for 30 mins. My hair is so soft and seems to stay cleaner longer (I went 8 days without washing my hair and it still looked great).

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a wonderful conditioner for women looking to maintain their red highlights. I have used this conditioner once a week for 3 weeks now and am incredibly impressed by the color deposition. This conditioner leaves my hair soft and manageable. The scent is fresh and crisp. I also love that the packaging is environmentally friendly. A definite repurchase for me.

on 11/12/2007 10:09:00 AM

I don't really understand all the poor scores from women with blonde hair who have used this to try to get reddish highlights. It's apparent as soon as you squeeze some out of the tube that this is a highly pigmented conditioner, almost akin to a vegetable colour. It is brilliant for refreshing red hair between colours. Combed through evenly this stops my bright red hair from fading to orange. Also has a gorgeous clove-y scent, and always leaves my hair shiny and soft.

on 10/31/2007 5:05:00 PM

I have a red hair and everyone knows that it's very hard to keep the color, so after some of my MUA discontinued, I went to the Aveda salon to try something new. Well, it is kind of pricy, but I thought if it will work then it worth it.
Well, big dissapointment. It didn't do much for me at all. I left it for few hours to get deeper deposing and it still wasn't good enough. Well, my report : it didn't work. Don't waist your money.

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Absolutely, positively LOVE this. Only thing holding me back from the 5 lippies overall is the price.

on 3/22/2007 3:30:00 AM

Erk, I didn't have the best experience with Aveda's Madder Root Conditioner. I used it briefly when I had short red hair that was previously color treated. My result was a very bright red hair color that attracted unwanted attention. So, later that night I washed my hair several times with Prell, and for several days after my disastrous use of the color conditioner until it faded to a more natural color. It turned out okay, ultimately, but I didn't use this product ever again.

My theory behind the intense results I got with this product is that it happened because I had previously bleached hair that I eventually cut off and colored darker -- (so my hair was very porous), and I probably left the conditioner on too long. So, maybe if this conditioner is used in moderation, on healthy/uncolored hair, the results would be nice. I've used the Clove color conditioner with good results since my disaster with Madder Root (in fact, I used the Clove Conditioner this morning).

All in all, I will never re-purchase this product, and again, I don't recommend it to those with previously bleached hair. continued >>

on 10/3/2006 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I am naturally strawberry blonde, but in the summers my red gets bleached from the sun. I read the reviews here and wanted to try this stuff for highlights. This stuff is actually permanent, luminous, bright red dye in a conditioner, if that is possible-- I've had problems with the ends of my hair looking "burned," because the ends are more porous than the top. I've discovered a better way to use it (and, I think, the proper way): today, I slathered it on thickly from roots to tips, even shampooing it (probably bad for hair, but meh), then combing to distribute. I left it on as one would a hair dye for about an hour. After I rinsed and dried, there is a much more uniform color distribution throughout my hair and it looks decent. I have to say it is pretty exciting to get this huge punch of nearly-instant color from just a conditioner! However, unless you distribute it very carefully (or even if you do!) you may get shimmery streaks in your hair. This is strong stuff!! Perhaps this is just a warning to blondes not to use it-- this is more "dye" than "highlight" red. I probably won't purchase this again because I believe it is a bit too dark for my hair, it's expensive, it stains my tub, and it took me too long to figure out how to use it correctly.

on 9/17/2006 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have very deep red hair (dyed). This product worked very well to brighten up my red between visits because red fades very easily. Only downside, it stains my scalp, but that is no big deal. This cost about $28 CAD, but it was worth it. If you have red hair, I would recommend this, if you do not, stay away!!! This does leave very red pigment on your hair. Great for between dyes. Also, only use once a week.

**EDIT** This changed my hair from a pretty red copper, to a crayola crayon. Will not repurchase. Can be easily overdone.

I really like this product and find it well worth the money I spend on it since it cuts down on my frequency of visits to the salon for color. I LOVE the color, but I must warn highlighted women that Madder Root can definitely leave a pink tinge to your hair if you have highlights. I wish Aveda had not discontinued Annato, but alas, this old standby will have to do!

Top Rated Aveda Products