December 19, 2014 | 1441 users online

Conditioner - Aveda - Madder Root Conditioner

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2007 10:09:00 AM More reviews by gravity

I don't really understand all the poor scores from women with blonde hair who have used this to try to get reddish highlights. It's apparent as soon as you squeeze some out of the tube that this is a highly pigmented conditioner, almost akin to a vegetable colour. It is brilliant for refreshing red hair between colours. Combed through evenly this stops my bright red hair from fading to orange. Also has a gorgeous clove-y scent, and always leaves my hair shiny and soft.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/31/2007 5:05:00 PM More reviews by irinabj

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have a red hair and everyone knows that it's very hard to keep the color, so after some of my MUA discontinued, I went to the Aveda salon to try something new. Well, it is kind of pricy, but I thought if it will work then it worth it.
Well, big dissapointment. It didn't do much for me at all. I left it for few hours to get deeper deposing and it still wasn't good enough. Well, my report : it didn't work. Don't waist your money.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2007 11:49:00 AM More reviews by magpiesparkle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Absolutely, positively LOVE this. Only thing holding me back from the 5 lippies overall is the price.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/22/2007 3:30:00 AM More reviews by Lotus2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Erk, I didn't have the best experience with Aveda's Madder Root Conditioner. I used it briefly when I had short red hair that was previously color treated. My result was a very bright red hair color that attracted unwanted attention. So, later that night I washed my hair several times with Prell, and for several days after my disastrous use of the color conditioner until it faded to a more natural color. It turned out okay, ultimately, but I didn't use this product ever again.

My theory behind the intense results I got with this product is that it happened because I had previously bleached hair that I eventually cut off and colored darker -- (so my hair was very porous), and I probably left the conditioner on too long. So, maybe if this conditioner is used in moderation, on healthy/uncolored hair, the results would be nice. I've used the Clove color conditioner with good results since my disaster with Madder Root (in fact, I used the Clove Conditioner this morning).

All in all, I will never re-purchase this product, and again, I don't recommend it to those with previously bleached hair. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2006 5:28:00 PM More reviews by princess_eab

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am naturally strawberry blonde, but in the summers my red gets bleached from the sun. I read the reviews here and wanted to try this stuff for highlights. This stuff is actually permanent, luminous, bright red dye in a conditioner, if that is possible-- I've had problems with the ends of my hair looking "burned," because the ends are more porous than the top. I've discovered a better way to use it (and, I think, the proper way): today, I slathered it on thickly from roots to tips, even shampooing it (probably bad for hair, but meh), then combing to distribute. I left it on as one would a hair dye for about an hour. After I rinsed and dried, there is a much more uniform color distribution throughout my hair and it looks decent. I have to say it is pretty exciting to get this huge punch of nearly-instant color from just a conditioner! However, unless you distribute it very carefully (or even if you do!) you may get shimmery streaks in your hair. This is strong stuff!! Perhaps this is just a warning to blondes not to use it-- this is more "dye" than "highlight" red. I probably won't purchase this again because I believe it is a bit too dark for my hair, it's expensive, it stains my tub, and it took me too long to figure out how to use it correctly.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/17/2006 4:13:00 PM More reviews by rosinalove11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have very deep red hair (dyed). This product worked very well to brighten up my red between visits because red fades very easily. Only downside, it stains my scalp, but that is no big deal. This cost about $28 CAD, but it was worth it. If you have red hair, I would recommend this, if you do not, stay away!!! This does leave very red pigment on your hair. Great for between dyes. Also, only use once a week.

**EDIT** This changed my hair from a pretty red copper, to a crayola crayon. Will not repurchase. Can be easily overdone.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2006 3:49:00 PM More reviews by Marguerite_DeVille

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this product and find it well worth the money I spend on it since it cuts down on my frequency of visits to the salon for color. I LOVE the color, but I must warn highlighted women that Madder Root can definitely leave a pink tinge to your hair if you have highlights. I wish Aveda had not discontinued Annato, but alas, this old standby will have to do!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/29/2006 6:59:00 AM More reviews by Jenabill

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My hair is now mostly grey, I started going grey at 20! So, I color my hair red every 5 weeks. This really does add a shot of color to my hair. 2 weeks after a hair color, I'll use it every 3rd shampoo. Be careful to comb product through hair well! Otherwise I get some bright red streaks.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2006 2:39:00 PM More reviews by eller2006

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My hairdresser had to postpone my appointment for two weeks. Yikes! Thanks to this product, I am saved. My hair is much longer than when I last used this conditioner and it conditioned beautifully along with re-brightening my red-colored locks. This works especially well if your highlights tend to go blonde or brassy when you go too long between color appointments. Highly recommend!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2006 6:50:00 PM More reviews by lilvalval

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Okay, so i was told i NEEDED to use this with red hair and i didn't really want to b/c its so expensive and didnt think i needed to, but OMG! I love it! It really give my hair the extra little zing of red that it looses a week or so after i get it colored. Also, after a while of usage, I didn't really notice it "working' anymore and I wondered if it was really depositing color or just being washed down the drain...so I stopped using it and my color was soooo dull and brown....my mom accidently put it in her BLONDE hair!!! and so now I KNOW that this definately deposits red into ur hair b/c she had pink hair for 3 days!