October 1, 2014 | 1877 users online

Powder - Christian Dior - DiorSkin Compact Makeup

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2006 1:38:00 PM More reviews by Terrimak

I love, love, love this product. I stumbled upon it at Sephora, I use the Dior eye shadows and thought I would try this since I needed a touch up. I left with my purchases and not this. I kept check my face throughout the day and just could not believe how glowing and great it looked. I went to the other Sephora in town and purchased it, and I am glad I did. I look at least 5 years younger wearing this and it does not make my sensitive skin breakout at all. I will purchase again and again!! I am in my 40's and just feel so gorgeous wearing this wonderful foundation!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2006 3:39:00 PM More reviews by ruby_tea_roses

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is just "okay" as a powder foundation. Personally, I found it chalky. I much prefer NARS Powder Foundation (NARS is much more silky, smooth and soft). This Dior Powder Foundation just seemed so chalky, and although I appreciate the fact that it has spf 20, I just don't like the finish I get from it. So I am returning it to Sephora tomorrow and sticking with the NARS powder foundation from now on. I am giving it 3 lippies because I think it is just an average, mediocre product and not really worth the expensive price tag.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2006 8:39:00 AM More reviews by pocky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

DiorSkin is the BEST powder foundation I've tried so far. I apply with a kabuki brush which gives me a lighter, more natural coverage than a brush but the make-up itself is simply miraculous. It leaves a very natural, silky, fresh, almost dewey finish. All this from a powder! Not only does DiorSkin save me time but it also gives me perfect coverage. I don't know how this would work for those who need and want full coverage as I've never tried applying with a sponge and building up to full coverage, but for those who need something between simple powder and a liquid foundation, this is perfect. My MU routine couldn't be simpler--sunscreen, a little concealer here and there, brush on some DiorSkin, a little blush, gloss, and I'm all set. I've yet to try this over my Smashbox primer because primer over my new sunscreen is a bit too much for my skin. My skin still looks great. My only complaints are: the $40 price tag (I've convinced that at least 25% is for the Christian Dior name), fragrance, and packaging. The compact is too bulky for no reason. A separate compartment for a sponge would've justified the bulkiness but there isn't even that. It's just wasted packaging. I would've preferred a sleeker and slimmer refillable compact that isn't so deep. The fragrance could go. It's not heavy or offensive enough to really bother me and it dissipates once on the skin but I don't like fragrance at all and would rather not put any on my face. Also, even though 201 is the closest match I've found from any line (beating out even MAC), it's still slightly too peachy for me. I can definitely tell though it's not so obvious that I look like I'm wearing make-up. If DiorSkin came in my perfect match, I'd probably pay $80 for it and that's coming from someone who hates to pay even $20 for foundation. *Update* This is not for the oily. I am not that oily but the oils in my t-zone easily broke through by lunchtime and my make-up had pooled and smeared in oily spots.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2006 4:38:00 PM More reviews by Lucrecia

This is the best powder foundation I've ever used. It's better than MAC Studio Fix and Stila Illuminating powder foundation. (MAC is too powdery/dry and changes the colour as day goes by while Stila offers very sheer coverage)The texture is fine and doesn't look powdery on your face at all. The coverage is very buildable and easily controllable. The finish is slightly dewy but not shiny. Application is also a breeze and a lot faster than applying liquid foundation.

I am a NC 20 and the shade 201 is a good match although a tad too dark. They don't sell this shade in Europe so I have been using 100 for a while although it's a little too light but I just order 201 from ebay. I will definitely repurchase this and I already have done it three times.

UPDATE: I started pairing this powder foundation with MAC Prep&Prime (see my review) and OMG it looks amazing! The powder foundation stays in place all day ,looks very smooth, and doesn't change colour.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/9/2006 1:32:00 AM More reviews by balabala

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Black

I got this compact powder in 200. The compact itself looks very pretty but it's a bit hard to open for some reason. I like the fact that this powder has SPF25 PA++, but it's too thick and unnatural. It's also very drying, even on my combination skin. I much prefer my Shiseido compact. As for the whitening effect, I don't see any.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2006 9:56:00 PM More reviews by Kr6v7ax

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is THE best powder foundation on the market Period. I have tried MAC, Chanel, Clarins, Lancome, Cargo, Nars, etc. And NOTHING even comes close to this. First of all, this powder is so fine it doesnt feel heavy at all - like MAC or others. Second it does not make you look chalky. And third, the coverage is divine - perfect. Not heavy masky - but definitely covers well. In fact, when you have this on it just sort of melds with your own skin so you dont look like you have a bunch of nasty gook on your face. It looks natural and flawless. I cant even explain it - one should just see for themselves. My only gripe is that they discontinued my color: #301. Now I have to settle for the closest #201 - which is fine when I dont have a tan.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2006 8:06:00 AM More reviews by vickiph

I think I may have found my HG foundation! I love powder compact foundations as I find them much faster and easier to apply than liquid foundation. I've used Lancome, Chanel and MAC, but I haven't been really thrilled with any of them, so the HG search has continued.

I picked this up based on the recs of the SA at Sephora. The color match (200) is perfect for me. It is very soft, silky and finely milled. I love the medium coverage - not too cakey at all. It lasts all day, with minimal touch-ups required. In fact, the first day I tried it, I didn't touch up at all, and it really looked fine. My skin is also very sensitive, and I've had no problems with this either.

It's not cheap at $38, but it is less than Chanel, which I had been using prior to finding Diorskin. I will definitely repurchase this when I run out.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2005 8:41:00 PM More reviews by jumpinjj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have only been using this for a week, but I find it to be exactly what I wanted- soft light to medium coverage powder foundation. I read about a zillion reviews before I went with this product (thank you everybody!) and tried it in the store and wore it around all day before buying it, and I'm glad I chose it. The powder itself feels very silky, the finish is smooth, the perfect balance of light-reflecting and matte, and does not make my face break out or get too oily. I have normal (34-yr-old) skin and wear color 201. The color match is fine. I really prefer this to the clinique double face compact I had before. It's just much smoother. A light dusting with a brush is about all I use, and it's just perfect. Many other compact makeups give me too harsh of a made up look, and plain powder is not enough coverage, falls right off my face, and can settle into lines. I know some people have not been able to find a color match in this product and I can't imagine why Dior doesn't make this in more shades. It's a bit pricey, but I consider this an important piece of makeup to spend money on (the cheap stuff really does look cheap on me), and also I expect it to last long enough for me to get my $40 worth. That is money well-spent to me.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2005 8:25:00 AM More reviews by fruchttasche

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like it as a touch up powder. If I'm careful not to pick up too much powder, it does a good job. I love that it does not make me look powdery and chalky like so many powder foundations. My only problem is the color. I bought 200 for my LLL/ FFF yellow-olive complexion (BB sand/ warm sand), and it is too peachy and slightly orange. I would have loved to buy 201 linen (very yellow), but sadly they don't sell this color in europe. But it is a very good quality powder, so if I cannot find any alternative (want to try chantecaille), I think I'll repurchase. Edit: recently I wear this product alone instead of liquid foundation + powder, and I like it a lot. Very natural soft finish as a powder foundation. Very useful when I'm in a hurry.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/30/2005 12:14:00 AM More reviews by kjhymn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I first tried this foundation/powder when I had a makeover at the Dior counter. The MA used a big powder brush to dust this over my face and set my foundation (DiorSkin Pure Light, my HG liquid foundation). I liked how it had a satin finish not, strictly speaking, matte, but also not sparkly or shiny. A light dusting of this over my foundation gave me a polished look and kept my oily t-zone in check.

Unfortunately, once I started using it as a foundation on its own, I was a little disappointed. While Im a 100 in all of the other Dior foundations, I was given a 200 in the Compact Makeup, and its a little too yellow and a tiny bit darker than what I should be wearing. When I apply this to damp skin I can get a very nice, almost dewy finish that evens out my skintone. However, if Im not careful, this can look chalky and cakey. A sloppy touch up can leave me looking dry.

On the plus side, the sponge is soft and velvety and gives an even application. The powder itself is very fine and doesnt clog my pores. It has good oil control; I can get away with a single touch up to my t-zone in the afternoon.
I probably wont repurchase this, because at $40 Id like to get a better colour match. Still, anyone looking for a good powder should give this a try. There is an okay range of shades for light to medium skintones, and I think it would work well for anyone with skin that isnt very dry or very oily.
continued >>