September 30, 2014 | 1787 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Chanel - Base Lumiere - Illuminating Makeup Base

rated 4 of 5 on 5/6/2008 12:52:00 PM More reviews by Minky0910

I have to agree packaging is shocking! It looks kind of pretty but it's a nightmare to use! All that shaking and squeezing and the guilt about wasting the expensive goo when you squeezed out too much means I had to drop it from my every day routine as it was spoiling my mood every morning. Otherwise it’s a good little toy. I use it in numerous different ways: 1. Makeup base – it does give a very smooth finish, doesn’t dry out the skin and gives it a nice subtle glow. Not sure about the staying power, with my overactive T-zone no primmer/makeup combo lasts more than 4 hours. 2. Mixed with Foundation – on good skin days I mixed it with Chanel Vitalumier and it looks amazing. It kills all of already poor coverage power of Vitalumier but makes your skin kind of amazing “other-worldly” dewy glow, think Thierry Mugler Alien ad but in a much more wearable “Japanese-girl-eat-your-heart-out” kind of a way. 3. On its own with some translucent powder on top – this is for very very good skin days. Makes my skin like satin. With no powder it looks scary on me. I’m pale with olive and blue undertones, on me looks very blue, again Thierry Mugler Alien ad but in a bad way. It does nothing for my pores, I suppose the light trick is supposed to make them less noticeable but to doesn’t fill them at all. It’s much too expensive for something that doesn’t perform too well. I won't be buying it again cause I'm sure you can buy a look-a-like cheaper. It’s a good skin day product, don’t expect any miracles.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2008 3:17:00 AM More reviews by desertmom4

I bought this primer on an impulse buy as I already have a HG primer that I have been using for about a year now ( LM Hydrating Primer). I love Chanel's e/s quads, l/s, glossimers, and JC blushes...they all work so wonderfully so I thought this primer would to. I was looking for a primer that gave me a subtle glow and help make my m/u last all day-night. The SA recommended Base Lumiere as it is supposed to impart a glow. I did use it for a few days and did not notice any difference between this primer and my LM one. It does help your m/u stay all day, and it did seem to minimize my pores, and I did see a "glow", but not sure if that was because of my highlighter I used or the primer? The only difference between this and my LM one is the price and amount you get for the $40 USD...which is not alot. One ounce if I remember correctly. Needless to say, I returned this primer and will not be repurchasing...sticking w/ my LM Hydrating primer as it does the same exact thing for alot cheaper, and I get more product :)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2008 3:58:00 PM More reviews by maddjuicey

I love this base. Actually, I've never used any other base till recently. I tried using Bare Escentuals stupid primer or base or whatever it is.... and it messed up my face. So I'm stickin to Chanel's! The only thing I was kinda weird about was that I didn't notice a difference between it and regular facial lotion... I don't see the "illuminating" and other bases/primers actually make your face feel smooth. Oh well, whatever works!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2008 5:28:00 AM More reviews by littlelamb

This is a wonderful base by Chanel. I apply this around my eyes to brighten up the whole area, and a tiny bit on my cheekbones when I'm wearing full-on MU, and it works brilliantly without changing my skintone or the tone of my foundation or powder. I don't use this over my pores or blemishes/scars, as I find that Blanc Universel works better for that as it's more mattifying. Base Lumiere is like applying a highlighter around the eye area but without the sparkle - just a hint of pearliness, which is barely apparent once you've blended it into your skin. I prefer using this to any of the other under-eye concealors/highlighters that are currently all the hype. I do agree that all square bottle packaging sucks - why do they use it??? You can store it upside down to access it easier when the bottle is relatively full, but would probably have to transfer it into another container when you get to the last drops. I bought this a couple of years ago for GBP18.00, but I think it's currently retailing at GBP20.00. For this price you actually get a lot more product than most concealors/highlighters out there. Will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2007 9:43:00 AM More reviews by beautyqueen77

Excellent base for all skins, especially dry skin. Smooths out skin surface so that any powder, even those sold at drug stores appears so perfect! A must for all gals who wants good-looking complexion.
Edit: I have found better ones out there. Wont buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2007 5:56:00 PM More reviews by mischabarrett

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Mmm super-nice! Makes your skin look pearly and glowing as soon as it goes on. It also really helps make-up (I use Yves St Laurent Touch Eclat) stay put all day. Definitely gets you noticed.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2007 11:56:00 PM More reviews by TigiStylist

This is the first primer, I have ever used. So, I can't compare it with other primers. It's summer, and I live in Arizona. My makeup stayed on my face, though a 6 hour baseball game, plus walking around in 100 degree heat.
My foundation glided on like silk, and I used less. I Love this! If there is a better primer out there, LMK! Until then, this is HG!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2007 10:58:00 PM More reviews by chenry1218

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am amazed beyond my wildest dreams. I have very oily, acne prone skin and alot of acne scars and brown patches. I was looking for something that would give me a smoother palate to work with prior to applying my foundation and this did the job. I have always looked horrible with just plain foundation and this was my miracle. I am able to use less foundation and even out my skin tone with a great "dewy look" Never though I could look like this. Thanks Chanel!!! It is worth the price. Hate the package.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2007 2:30:00 PM More reviews by LuxGirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love, love, love this product! Don't love, love, love the packaging. The awkward squeeze bottle is an annoyance. The bottle is square shaped, so after using the product even one time, you squeeze and squeeze and tip and shake much akin to the "shaking the ketchup bottle" motion. I keep my cosmetics in a cosmetic bag since I'm always on the go, but as others have mentioned, storing the bottle upside down alleviates this problem to some extent.

The Base Lumiere has a gel-like consistency with a violet sheer iridescent quality (sounds scary but it's not, I promise!) True to the color wheel, purple cancels out red, thus, it helps with minimizing the look of any redness or blotchiness in your skin tone. I apply the base Lumiere under Chanel Teint Innocence in Gentle Ivory and I'm a happy girl.

The foundation glides on with no "balling up" as some bases can cause foundations to do. It leaves a radiant glow and stays put all day long. No greasies, no sliding, only flawless perfection. One of my staples.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2007 10:32:00 PM More reviews by miranets

My skin: oily, blemish prone -

When I went through a period of great clear skin which tolerated silicons and chemical based products, I had a great desire to try out all these luxe highlighting primers - Base Lumiere was one of the most coveted.

As many members have already noted, packaging is ridiculous. I wouldn't know how anyone could salvage the last few mls of product (plenty for a dozen uses) with the barely squeezable awkward cuboid design. I imagine you would have to literally cut through the box tube to swipe up the product clinging to the walls.

Ok down to the nitty gritty, the base is a semi opaque white coloured serum with a very conspicuous ultra violet tint and sheer mica glitter (the nice not whore-y type). As some may have noticed, lavender (purple) powders made by Pure Luxe, By Terry, Givenchy etc, are quite the rage because this tint is supposed to help neutralise skin tone and brighten the complexion. But I really don't think the ultra violet tint in Base Lumiere has enough oomph to stand out unless it is used on someone who is fair skinned with even complexion and does not use any products except for a sheer translucent powder on top.

Basically, it is one of those coveted "luxe" products which is not really good value for money, and even if you were loaded, this is not something that would be worthy to purchase just for that sometimes valuable "extra little something special" touch to a makeup regime.

When I did use this, it was on top of a silicon primer, and under a powder. It did not irritate my normally sensitive skin, and did not aggravate oil production. But I could not single this product out to be a culprit when days later I had many tender sore blemishes (normally caused by silicon primers).

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No