April 23, 2014 | 1424 users online

Hair Color - Manic Panic - Temporary Hair dye

rated 2 of 5 on 12/13/2011 1:44:00 AM More reviews by Rosenrot05

First one I bought was Pillarbox red, I bleached my hair with Manic Panic 40 bleach and then put it on after washing that out, my hair went pink! which was not good coz I wanted red.

Next colour I tried 2 years later was Purple haze, but no matter how many times I lighten my hair it always ends up going blue and washes out in about a week. So I have given up on Manic Panic products, they just don't work for me :(

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2011 4:47:00 AM More reviews by RinaRose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

VAMPIRE RED

Very beautiful color! But like all manic panic dyes, it bleeds every time you shower, the water never runs clear. You have to touch it up every few weeks, I touch it up once a month along with my roots. And it stains everything..

Finally, if you have a lot of patience, I'd recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2011 10:54:00 PM More reviews by DaniePaige

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

COTTON CANDY PINK
Pink was the first color I ever dyed my hair, back when it was all blonde and came down to my waist, I used this pink just on the undersides. My hair is naturally pretty light blonde, so I probably didn't need to bleach it, but I did anyways, and I got it to an inside-of-the-banana yellow color before I used this. I left it in for about 4 hours, and I did use shampoo when I washed it out though, because I just thought it would be gross otherwise, I was worried this color would be bright pink like the actual dye is, but it is true cotton candy pink. Fading, I honestly can't say much about, because I didn't give it much of a chance to fade, I just re-dyed it every weekend, but It faded virtually none each week. Also, one jar covered the underside of all of my hair, and was enough for a second dyeing too.

ATOMIC TURQUOISE AND SHOCKING BLUE
I wanted Bad Boy Blue, but they didn't have it at sally's and there isn't a Hot Topic near me, so I mixed these, and left it in for about 2 and a half hours, and it turned out the color that bad boy blue looks in the jar. It didn't fade for about three weeks, but there are quite a few reasons behind this;
1. I did something which is NOT good for hair nor straightener, but I did it anyways, when I first washed out the dye, I didn't get all of it out, on purpose, and I didn't use shampoo or conditioner, and i straightened it right after washing to really lock in the color, and it worked, and my hair wasn't visibly damaged, and neither was my straightener, but I still don't suggest this, and
2. I only wash my hair about every 3 days.
Also note, I did the blue directly after the pink, and it turned out true blue, not purple. All in all, I have had good luck with Manic Panic, I'm pretty sure it's just that i'm naturally fair-haired though.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2011 2:24:00 AM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

Ages ago I used this in Midnight Blue and it turned out a beautiful bright blue. I had done it over bleached hair so that's probably why. I just recently purchased Raven (black) and tried to do my roots with it. I followed everything to a T and even left it in for 2hrs (I don't like sleeping with it in & get impatient). So I washed it out and my roots were still brown. I did my eye brows too and those are darker so what happened to my roots I have no idea. I won't be buying this again unless I want to use an actual color (which probably won't happen). Also a tub? Why not a tube?

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2011 5:37:00 PM More reviews by alyssaVE

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I know a lot of people don't like Manic Panic, and I can see why, but it works amazing for me. I love the color selection, and they always come out pretty and bright. The application is not very messy because it is very thick, unlike some unnatural color dyes I have used. I like the smell of it, and it leaves my hair very soft and surprisingly pretty healthy. The problem I always hear about is that it fades too fast. I've found how to make it last though. I keep mine on for a bit longer than directed, and blow dry it before I rinse it out. Then, I don't wash my hair every day and I wash it with cold water. It lasts for me :) I also like how if you don't take care of i right, it fades because I like to switch colors a lot. Keep in mind I don't dye my whole head - just parts of it. I know I can make it fade quickly if I want or I can make it last. So I suggest this hair dye, especially if you switch your hair up a lot. It works in my favor.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/4/2011 10:08:00 PM More reviews by MincePie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Manic Panic Purple Haze gives me the look I want. Knowing that it will fade ensures that I'm not married to this color. If I want to try a more ultraviolet shade of purple or a blue, I could change to a different color fairly soon.

My hair is very dark brown. A colorist once described it as dark ash brown. The first time I had it done to get the purple layers, the stylist used a 20 volume lightener on the parts to color. She wove it into part of my bangs. She also sectioned off the top of my hair, out of the way, and lightened the layer of hair that falls from the temples down. It came out a shade of golden brown. She then applied a shade of purple that came out a bit more pink than I expected. So, my hair when it's down had a bit of peek-a-boo effect of a fuchsia/purple under layer that showed if the wind blew, it showed at the ends, or if my hair moved at all. She did not use Manic Panic.

Ok, that color lasted about three days. I swim - maybe that's part of it. But the color faded to pink+the golden brown.The stylist had me bring my choice of purple to the salon for a touch up so she could show me how to do the weekly touchups. She said it's normal to fade. (what she calls fading, I call disappearing.)

In the meantime, I watched youtube videos and saw the info that is in other reviews here about ways to get longer lasting color - apply heat, leave it in for hours, sleep in it with a shower cap over it.

At my appointment, she did it for me, and showed me how to do it. I like this color better than the one she applied originally. It's not bright, punk, purple, though - if that's what you'd expect all the time. It's actually rather subtle darker purple among my dark brown hair.

The touch up required half the jar.

Also we still expect that I'd have to do a touch up once a week with a salon visit about once a month. I'm still deciding if I want to put that much money & effort into my hair, but the Manic Panic was $6.49 at my Sally Beauty, plush I bought the color safe shampoo, gloves, disposable shower caps, the brush to apply the color. (a nail polish, I couldn't leave without a nail polish, but perhaps that's off topic)

At first I wasn't sure if Purple Haze would be the right shade, but I realized if I swim everyday, I'll have ample opportunity to try a different shade. I'm also considering having the lightened section made even lighter, so that the colorful part comes out bolder. (yeah, more $, more time) But ,hey, more vibrant color!!

In short, yeah finally, my stylist, who, by the way, has the world's most vibrant hair herself, thought there was nothing unusual about the fade time of my purple and to expect it with the MP. She said it was related to the "unnatural color" mostly, and yes, to expect weekly upkeep. So, I say, if you find a way to keep it longer and not need weekly upkeep, then you are ahead of the game, but it's not a Manic Panic product problem if it only lasted one week.

Just the purple I want. Easy to apply. No harsh chemicals. Yay.

Personal downside: I have a nervous habit of scratching my scalp often. Now my under-nails get purple. I need to keep up my manicure!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2011 5:13:00 PM More reviews by kendallkaboom

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

i absolutely adore this dye! i've used Vampire Red, Pillar box Red, Shocking Blue, Hot Hot Pink, Ultra Violet, Electric Banana, and Electric Lizard. They are all absolutely amazing! they last for a while and are SO bright. I have nothing bad i could say about it. the container may look small but this stuff is so concentrated, a little goes a long way

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2011 6:53:00 PM More reviews by danakay5

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So basically i love manic panic pillarbox red and vampire red, which i mix more pillarbox than vampire but the results are soo pretty!! i usally use loreal highlifts once every 2 months to allow the manic panic to really attach and last longer but i do not use bleach that is sooo horible for your hair!!... i wash my hair only with cold water that allows the red to really last ..but i liertally get asked every where i go what red i use lol i think ill end up doing a you tube video for it lol... but really love this product!!!! and its vegan so its not harsh on your hair if you dont use bleach before =)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2011 7:27:00 PM More reviews by stfulauren

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Other

I've used manic panic for the past 6 yrs and not once have I had a problem with it fading too soon. But I also wash my hair every 2 or 3 days, in cold water, and use color treated shampoos/conditioners. It takes about a month for it to start fading which I like a lot. I usually have re-dye my roots before I have to do a touch up on the rest. Only things that's wrong with it is that it IS hard to get out my hair. Since it's a semi permanent vegetable-based dye, it won't come out with hair color removers. But I've heard that if you mix up a small batch on bleach(20v-30v developer) with some shampoo and massage it in your hair for a few minutes that the color will come right out. (That's if you let it fade a bit too.) I honestly love this dye though, especially the blues and purples.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2011 1:14:00 PM More reviews by melancolleen

Manic Panic has been a lifesaver for my hair. I first tried it about a year ago while trying to find way to take generic auburn color to a really vibrant red. I didn't pre-lighten, but I'm sure my hair was porous as I subject it to frequent dying. I didn't leave it on for an absurd amount of time, maybe an hour or two at most, but the color came out AMAZING! I used Hot Hot Pink and it gave me this lovely purple-ish red since I had layered over my previous color. Since it's a vegetable dye, it didn't damage my hair at all. In fact, I think my hair feels better every time I use it!
The color lasted a long time for me because I a.) don't need to wash my hair often in the first place, and b.) when I do wash it, I use cold water! If I have color from the jar leftover, I'll add it to my conditioner for a bit of a refresher. After my roots grew out to a noticeable length, I'd put a bit of dye on them too. Obviously my new hair isn't as porous and it doesn't take as well, but it was never bad-looking. I quite enjoyed watching my hair change shades as it grew out and faded.
This summer, I decided I wanted to go blonde for awhile. BIG mistake. Never got close to the shade I wanted, and damaged the fuck out of my hair. When I tried to go back to auburn I used a chemical formula, and my hair must have been extremely over-processed because it turned nearly black, except for my roots. I was pretty distressed, but remembered my success with MP before, so I went and bought the Pillarbox Red shade in hopes of adding a red tint at the very least. It greatly helped soften the harsh black color and faded into a lovely red-brown over the course of a couple weeks.
Upon looking at Sally's October flyer, I saw that MP is on sale so I think I'm going to go revamp my look and try a new shade of red or pink on my hair. I expect nothing but great results! :)