July 30, 2014 | 1487 users online

Hair Color - Manic Panic - Temporary Hair dye

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2012 4:15:00 PM More reviews by finished10dnails

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

SHOCKING BLUE. It is an amazing blue color! It lasts the deep blue shade on my bleached hair for about a week or so (I shampoo every day) and then slowly fades to a turquoise color. I like that it is a thick creamy dye that leaves my hair shiny and soft.

Keep in mind that Manic Panic is a temporary dye that must be applied to light colored or bleached hair. It will fade with each shampoo. When I get dye on my hands, face, countertop, etc., rubbing alcohol will clean it up. I've never had it stain my clothing, but I wash my clothes and towels right after a dye job.

I've been using this for 20 years for small sections of my hair. In order to get the best color out of Shocking Blue, I dip a dye brush in to the dye container, brush the dye on, comb through my hair until the dye is slightly frothy, and then let the dye soak in for about 15 minutes. If I have time, I put on a plastic hair cap and leave the dye in for several hours. If I don't have time, I put on a plastic hair cap and run the hair dryer over my head for 15 to 20 minutes.

I've tried other blue and green colors by Manic Panic and have had just as much success. I just like Shocking Blue best!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2012 5:18:00 PM More reviews by lacysilk29

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I really liked this hair dye. I wasn't super thorough with the application, just rubber gloves in the shower and combed it through my hair. I left the raven (black) hair color on my unbleached hair for a couple hours and was amazed with the results. I chose this product because it is actually good for my hair and I wanted a temporary color. I expect it to fade soon and I want it to. If the desired result is a permanent hair color this is not it. I don't know what everyone else did but the hair color definitely didn't stain my shower or pillows/sheets. The stains that were in my shower lifted easily with just water. My hair felt very conditioned and nice afterwards. I would recommend this product for anyone seeking a temporary color.
UPDATE:So after a few washes it definitely faded and bled in my shower. This to me was not problem since I was realistic with the effects of the product. I knew it would not last forever. It never stained my shower. If it got on my skin I could just wipe it off with water. I don't understand other people on here sometimes lol

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2011 2:21:00 PM More reviews by xoxRoyalxox

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

SHOCKING BLUE

I bought the amplified version, and I can tell you that I do not recommend it. I don't know if it's just me, but I bleached my hair 4 times.(my hair is dark brown), and then used Manic Panic virgin snow toner. It came out pretty light blonde. However, when I applied it, it turned out TURQUOISE instead of the true blue I wanted. Will not repurchase, I'm going to use Raw's instead.

Update:It actually turned out pretty well, and not at all the result I expected. Although it has a slight green tone to it, I think it's a very nice blue color. Only complaint is that it fades into a very very light sea-foam green color.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/13/2011 1:44:00 AM More reviews by Rosenrot05

First one I bought was Pillarbox red, I bleached my hair with Manic Panic 40 bleach and then put it on after washing that out, my hair went pink! which was not good coz I wanted red.

Next colour I tried 2 years later was Purple haze, but no matter how many times I lighten my hair it always ends up going blue and washes out in about a week. So I have given up on Manic Panic products, they just don't work for me :(

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2011 4:47:00 AM More reviews by RinaRose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

VAMPIRE RED

Very beautiful color! But like all manic panic dyes, it bleeds every time you shower, the water never runs clear. You have to touch it up every few weeks, I touch it up once a month along with my roots. And it stains everything..

Finally, if you have a lot of patience, I'd recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2011 10:54:00 PM More reviews by DaniePaige

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

COTTON CANDY PINK
Pink was the first color I ever dyed my hair, back when it was all blonde and came down to my waist, I used this pink just on the undersides. My hair is naturally pretty light blonde, so I probably didn't need to bleach it, but I did anyways, and I got it to an inside-of-the-banana yellow color before I used this. I left it in for about 4 hours, and I did use shampoo when I washed it out though, because I just thought it would be gross otherwise, I was worried this color would be bright pink like the actual dye is, but it is true cotton candy pink. Fading, I honestly can't say much about, because I didn't give it much of a chance to fade, I just re-dyed it every weekend, but It faded virtually none each week. Also, one jar covered the underside of all of my hair, and was enough for a second dyeing too.

ATOMIC TURQUOISE AND SHOCKING BLUE
I wanted Bad Boy Blue, but they didn't have it at sally's and there isn't a Hot Topic near me, so I mixed these, and left it in for about 2 and a half hours, and it turned out the color that bad boy blue looks in the jar. It didn't fade for about three weeks, but there are quite a few reasons behind this;
1. I did something which is NOT good for hair nor straightener, but I did it anyways, when I first washed out the dye, I didn't get all of it out, on purpose, and I didn't use shampoo or conditioner, and i straightened it right after washing to really lock in the color, and it worked, and my hair wasn't visibly damaged, and neither was my straightener, but I still don't suggest this, and
2. I only wash my hair about every 3 days.
Also note, I did the blue directly after the pink, and it turned out true blue, not purple. All in all, I have had good luck with Manic Panic, I'm pretty sure it's just that i'm naturally fair-haired though.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2011 2:24:00 AM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

Ages ago I used this in Midnight Blue and it turned out a beautiful bright blue. I had done it over bleached hair so that's probably why. I just recently purchased Raven (black) and tried to do my roots with it. I followed everything to a T and even left it in for 2hrs (I don't like sleeping with it in & get impatient). So I washed it out and my roots were still brown. I did my eye brows too and those are darker so what happened to my roots I have no idea. I won't be buying this again unless I want to use an actual color (which probably won't happen). Also a tub? Why not a tube?

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2011 5:37:00 PM More reviews by alyssaVE

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I know a lot of people don't like Manic Panic, and I can see why, but it works amazing for me. I love the color selection, and they always come out pretty and bright. The application is not very messy because it is very thick, unlike some unnatural color dyes I have used. I like the smell of it, and it leaves my hair very soft and surprisingly pretty healthy. The problem I always hear about is that it fades too fast. I've found how to make it last though. I keep mine on for a bit longer than directed, and blow dry it before I rinse it out. Then, I don't wash my hair every day and I wash it with cold water. It lasts for me :) I also like how if you don't take care of i right, it fades because I like to switch colors a lot. Keep in mind I don't dye my whole head - just parts of it. I know I can make it fade quickly if I want or I can make it last. So I suggest this hair dye, especially if you switch your hair up a lot. It works in my favor.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/4/2011 10:08:00 PM More reviews by MincePie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Manic Panic Purple Haze gives me the look I want. Knowing that it will fade ensures that I'm not married to this color. If I want to try a more ultraviolet shade of purple or a blue, I could change to a different color fairly soon.

My hair is very dark brown. A colorist once described it as dark ash brown. The first time I had it done to get the purple layers, the stylist used a 20 volume lightener on the parts to color. She wove it into part of my bangs. She also sectioned off the top of my hair, out of the way, and lightened the layer of hair that falls from the temples down. It came out a shade of golden brown. She then applied a shade of purple that came out a bit more pink than I expected. So, my hair when it's down had a bit of peek-a-boo effect of a fuchsia/purple under layer that showed if the wind blew, it showed at the ends, or if my hair moved at all. She did not use Manic Panic.

Ok, that color lasted about three days. I swim - maybe that's part of it. But the color faded to pink+the golden brown.The stylist had me bring my choice of purple to the salon for a touch up so she could show me how to do the weekly touchups. She said it's normal to fade. (what she calls fading, I call disappearing.)

In the meantime, I watched youtube videos and saw the info that is in other reviews here about ways to get longer lasting color - apply heat, leave it in for hours, sleep in it with a shower cap over it.

At my appointment, she did it for me, and showed me how to do it. I like this color better than the one she applied originally. It's not bright, punk, purple, though - if that's what you'd expect all the time. It's actually rather subtle darker purple among my dark brown hair.

The touch up required half the jar.

Also we still expect that I'd have to do a touch up once a week with a salon visit about once a month. I'm still deciding if I want to put that much money & effort into my hair, but the Manic Panic was $6.49 at my Sally Beauty, plush I bought the color safe shampoo, gloves, disposable shower caps, the brush to apply the color. (a nail polish, I couldn't leave without a nail polish, but perhaps that's off topic)

At first I wasn't sure if Purple Haze would be the right shade, but I realized if I swim everyday, I'll have ample opportunity to try a different shade. I'm also considering having the lightened section made even lighter, so that the colorful part comes out bolder. (yeah, more $, more time) But ,hey, more vibrant color!!

In short, yeah finally, my stylist, who, by the way, has the world's most vibrant hair herself, thought there was nothing unusual about the fade time of my purple and to expect it with the MP. She said it was related to the "unnatural color" mostly, and yes, to expect weekly upkeep. So, I say, if you find a way to keep it longer and not need weekly upkeep, then you are ahead of the game, but it's not a Manic Panic product problem if it only lasted one week.

Just the purple I want. Easy to apply. No harsh chemicals. Yay.

Personal downside: I have a nervous habit of scratching my scalp often. Now my under-nails get purple. I need to keep up my manicure!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2011 5:13:00 PM More reviews by kendallkaboom

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

i absolutely adore this dye! i've used Vampire Red, Pillar box Red, Shocking Blue, Hot Hot Pink, Ultra Violet, Electric Banana, and Electric Lizard. They are all absolutely amazing! they last for a while and are SO bright. I have nothing bad i could say about it. the container may look small but this stuff is so concentrated, a little goes a long way