Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo

3.7

Aqua / Water / Eau, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Sodium Coco-Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Coco-Betaine, Parfum / Fragrance, Ppg-5-Ceteth-20, Sodium Lauroyl Glutamate, Lactic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Peg-55 Propylene Glycol Oleate, Salicylic Acid, Benzoic Aci

I have been using this product for the last month without success. My hair is very thick, but the strands are fine, and I have waves/spiral curls if I allow it to dry without intervention. The result of using this shampoo was that I was left with a permanent frizz haze over my entire head, including all the baby hairs that grow close to the hair lilne. The smell is ok- but to my nose it's more a mix of baby powder and coconut than straight coconut- it pretty much fades when hair is dry. Price wise, unless you have money to burn this is way too much at $19CAN after taxes for a small 125ml bottle. I gave it 2 instead of 1 only because most hair products are obnoxiously strong and artifically scented, and while I'm not a lover of this scent, it doesn't over offend me. Due to the damage it has performed on my hair, I won't even be finishing the bottle.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Surprisingly, this works wonders for my oily hair and scalp. I wasn't expecting much from this when i bought this and the protein concentrate. Was actually putting high hopes on the protein concentrate since it was highly raved here. I was told the concentrate only be used every other day. I first started using the protein concentrate with my previous shampoo, it was great the first few times i used it however, the effects didn't last long. By afternoon my scalp would get itchy. So i stopped using for a while and when i had finished using my previous shampoo, i changed to the amino one.

When i started using, i felt the ends of my hair were a little dry( i guess due to the change of shampoo) But by the 2nd week of usage, hair was smoother. If i were to wash my hair in the morning, by afternoon, hair would look shiny and scalp will be oily. But after using this for a month, my scalp doesn't feel oily in the afternoon. Great for everyday use without stripping the oil from the scalp.

Being quite happy with it, I thought i'll give the protein concentrate another try, so i alternate that with the amino. Total disappointment again, i guess my hair doesn't work well with the protein concentrate. Scalp starts to itch again. For now, i'll just stick to using amino only.

i can't live without this shampoo. definitely a must have. it smells incredible,it's quite cheap & it makes my hair so shiny! i have VERY long, VERY dry hair and this is just perfect!

UPDATE - tried a Redken shampoo (moisturizing, some sort) at my friend's place and noticed the difference - I have to do two washes with Kiehl's to get my hair feeling clean, not with Redken. Will keep this one in my rotation, but it's sort of expensive to go so fast.

Best shampoo I've used so far. I have long, thick hair with bangs, so my bangs and head get greasy faster while my ends dry out and split. This shampoo lathers really well and cleanses without really stripping. It has a great subtle coconut scent that lingers. (Someone says it washes out completely - it def. doesn't, so you better like it). The only drawback is that I have to use quite a bit to get my (long, thick) hair clean, and it's not cheap. But I think that might be a trade off with shampoos - otherwise it would be stripping.

If I had oilier hair or used a lot of products, I'd use a more aggressive shampoo.

(I thought the Castille Shampoo would be right for my hair type - thick & course - but it's pretty watery and lame for an expensive shampoo.)
Also, I'm ok with paying more for Kiehl's since they don't test on animals.

Got my Holy Grail shampoo and conditioner in 250ml bottle eventually, 320RMB(around 45USD) in total including courier delivery which is not bad since you can purchase it nowhere locally (Shanghai of China).

No doubt, hats off to Kiehl's. I immediately kick all my Phyto, Rene Furterer, loreal salon collection to the curb.

The coconut scent is great but not at all overpowering and washed out completely, the lather is not foamy but cleans the hair and scalp thoroughly.

I have oily, itchy and dandruff prone scalp but dry ends after years of using the silicon-based shampoo, when I woke up one day and turned to those French brands which claim to be essence oil based with all these natural crap, no matter how hard I tried, how much I shell out, they just do NOT work miracles on me. My hair never look so bad, they are dull, greasy and just glued to the scalp the next day with dry locks.

I washed my hair daily in the morning and dry blow it so I really need the shampoo to be gentle while moisturizing. It is gentle but cleans the scalp without stripping it and it IS moisturizing. I really love it.

Got a lot of samples of most other shampoo products in Kiehl's line, will alternate with this full-size Amino Acid when I need to change the shampoo once in a while. Will update whether they are as good as Amino Acid.

The 133 formula conditioner is fine but still could not guarantee perfectly frizz-free hair even I rinse it off with cool water. I guess it takes some time since my cuticles are way too damaged when I used to use ceramic flat iron everyday to make my hair look sleek.

I seemed to need far too much of it to clean the product out of my hair; don't use it if you have an oilier scalp, or lots of product, even though it says it's for all hair types. Would have expected it to be less watery or more concentrated for the price.

I swear. This makes my hair shiny. But also makes my scalp oily when I skip shampooing for a day.

Btw. I color my hair with pure henna and indigo.

UPDATE: After my shampoo journey, I find that this baby is the best shampoo for your hair if you prefer daily-washing or lives in a hot humid climate. I changed my rating to 5.

However, if you don't wash your hair everyday but when you do you take time rinsing it (3 mins at least and finish off with cold splash), the best one is Sisley. But the price will slap you off.

I first tried this product when a small bottle came with an online Saks purchase I had made. Absolutely loving the coconut smell, I bought a huge bottle of it. Well, I still love the smell, but I just don't find that it does much for my hair. I have thick, wavy, color treated hair and I really need a product specifically for those needs. This one does not do that, although it does not claim that it does either. I still use it every once in a while, but it just doesn't do enough for my hair that I would buy it again.

Having been using this product for a while.
Smells amazing, but I need to put a lot everytime I use it, and without the conditioner, I just feel a bit of try.
But with the conditioner, it just makes my hair super soft. Feels good!
Will buy it again and also want to try other Kiehls hair product.

I got this as a sample and was able to make it last through a few showers because as I remember it (this was a while ago, when they had just come out with Amino) the lather is really rich and a little goes a long way. I don't know what it is about this product (most likely the coconut oil) but when I came out of the shower and dried my hair, it was the silkiest and shiniest and lushest and fullest that I had ever seen it! I mean it seriously looked FAB. I did a little happy dance b/c I thought I had found my HG shampoo but sadly it was not to be. By the early evening, I was in Exxon-Valdez country- I've never see it that oily!

So I give it a 3- because no shampoo has ever made my hair look fabulous and terrible in the same day- only Kiehl's Amino Acid holds that dubious distinction!

P.S.- As my scalp is oily-prone, I wouldn't have gone out and actively sought a product whose main ingredient was coconut oil. But it was a sample so I thought "what the heck" and also on their website, Kiehl's lists it as being a product for 'all' hairtypes. Hmm...