Bare Escentuals Faux Tan

Water (Aqua/Eau), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dihydroxyacetone, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Sorbitan Isostearate, Xanthan Gum, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/Vp Copolymer, Ethylhexylglycerin, Saccharomyces/Copper Ferment, Ascorbic Acid, Retinyl Palmitate, Sodium Metabisulfite, Tocopheryl Acetate, Trisodium EDTA, Octapeptide-5, Phenoxyethanol, Geraniol, Linalool, Limonene, Fragrance (Parfum). May Contain: Red 40 (CI 16035), Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Blue 1 (CI 42090).

on 8/18/2011 3:11:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

My HG self tanner! I have tried so many different self tanners, from drugstore brands to expensive brands. No self tanner has ever given me such a wonderful color. I'm as white as white gets, with a family history of melanoma, so I don't even try to tan. This gives me a wonderful, natural looking tan, with absolutely no streaks. It doesn't have an orange or yellow tint, and this is the best smelling st I've come across. There is an odor but it's faint and fades quick. It is a little pricey but it is so worth it. I buy the jumbo bottle with the pump from QVC and it lasts me all summer, and I use it a lot in the summer. The only con for me is that I wished it lasted a bit longer, but I still live this st and I doubt I'll ever switch. It also will stain your hands! But before applying I rub lotion on my hands and after applying I scrub them with a nail brush and it removes it quick.

on 8/18/2011 1:30:00 PM

Love this self-tanner! I have used TONS of different self-tanners, and this is by far my favorite so far. It smells awesome, comes out brown in color instead of orange like most self-tanners, goes on smooth, and doesn't fade into patches. When you're putting it on, it looks really dark, but that's just so you can see where you're applying it - I recommend putting it on at night after exfoliating, then taking a shower in the morning. I'm also able to use it on my face without breaking out, which is amazing because I have pretty sensitive skin. The only con I would say about this product, is that for me it doesn't seem to last that long- maybe only a couple days, and then I have to re-apply. I haven't purchased in awhile because it can get a bit pricey since I go through the bottle so quickly. But other than this minor issue, I love this stuff.

on 8/2/2011 10:03:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I've had to experiment with this product for a little while to figure out how it works the best, but now that I've gotten my routine down, I am so happy with the results! Faux Tan is an interesting product in that it comes out an olive-green/brown color, which seems to work well in terms of serving as a color guide and cancelling out any orangeness. Even though the color guide has been helpful, I don't consider it a "tint" that I would be comfortable wearing in public without washing off, since it kind of makes my skin look greenish and dirty. But rest assured, it washes off completely and the color that remains is a beautiful golden tan, with the most minimal smell of any tanner I've tried!

I was struggling with Faux Tan's consistency, since it is thicker and dries very quickly, and I was so paranoid about uneven application that it would take me a really long time to do my whole body. It also stained my hands pretty badly at first, even though I washed my hands every couple of minutes. Now I have started using rubber gloves when I apply (which work great, no streaks at all if you're careful and rub in a circular motion). I've also started combining the lotion with a more lotion-y self tanner (Banana Boat Summer Color in Deep Dark), which adds to the slip of the Faux Tan and makes it easier and faster to blend and rub in. The combination makes the smell slightly more pungent but I always tan before bed and shower it off in the morning so it doesn't offend me much. And my tan looks awesome, if I do say so myself! :)

The one downside is the cost; it was more than $20 for a teeny little 4 oz. bottle! Combining it with a drugstore tanner will hopefully make it last a little longer, but at the end of the day, if it works well then it is worth the money, especially for us pale ladies who want to glow but also want to age gracefully and protect their skin from the sun! I highly recommend this product!

on 7/12/2011 12:23:00 AM

This is HG STATUS for me. I have gone through 4 bottles now. The color of this is unlike any other self tanner i have's actually a brown, tan color..not yellow, not orange, and not pink. Just brown. Thank you Bare Escentuals for realizing people who fake tan like for thier tan to actually be brown. This CAN BE a little tricky to blend, but what I like to do is mix the Faux Tan with a little Faux Tan body moisturizer to make it more blendable. Works great. People will never guess your tan is fake if you apply it right (exfoliate, shave, blend ect.) This is a little pricey if you buy both tanners, 22$ + $18. But for me it's so worth it because I can't find anything else out there that looks natural and I personally feel like if your tan looks fake you might as well skip it and go the natural pale route. I don't often rave on a product but this one is worth it. OH and plus it smells pleasant!! I can't detect a hint of the DHA smell..just smells like sweet almond. I don't think I could feel sexy bare legged without this so they had better never disconintue this!

on 7/4/2011 5:38:00 PM

This product is just too much hard work, sorry.
Great colour but just takes forever to blend into skin since its a kinda gel lotion. I used a moisturiser first and while it was drying I applied this stuff, but it got to the stage where it was rubbing off in small sticky clumps as it was drying.

When it was dried it did leave a nice colour, wore well and didnt leave any patchiness my mousse fake tan eventually does towards day 5-7.

I'm too used to the mousse fake tans (st moritz) that allows you to blend more product into larger areas of the skin a lot faster than this. Maybe I'm appling it wrong....

Will probably use up the bottle if I can be bothered to reapply only based on the colour. But wont repurchase.

on 6/8/2011 3:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Perfect! I purchased this from QVC as a set with the brush for applying it. I never considered a brush to apply self tanner but it is genius! I am very pale, NC15 and always end up looking orange and streaky no matter what brand of self tanner I use. This gives a very nice totally natural looking color almost effortlessly. Absorbs quickly so use only a little product at a time. Smells nice even the morning after. No tell-tale self tanner smell!

on 6/5/2011 1:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Yes this tanner is a gem! I have yellow tones to my skin and a lot of tanners do tend to make my skin look even more yellow or Faux Tan does not turn me orange or yellow, it gives a nice golden brown tan that looks very realistic. I enjoy the sweet almond smell, it doesn't smell as bad as other tanners I've tried do as it develops, I don't get any streaks (although I guess this depends on how you apply it - I prefer gloves or a tanning mitt), it gives a nice deep colour with just 1-2 uses. It can take a while to dry and feels a little heavy on my skin because of the moisturizing properties, but aslong as I put a towel over my pillows and under my bedsheets there's no problem. The staying power is pretty good, I manage to get 4 days out of it and I shower very frequently! I don't like the price for such a small bottle though. Despite that I do really like this tanner, nothing gives me a more natural result than Faux Tan.

on 6/5/2011 11:09:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

HG self tanner for sure! I've been using it for years now and am probably on my 6th or 7th bottle. I always buy the Big Daddy 16 oz. when it's featured on QVC. Considering that 1 bottle lasts me for more than 1 summer I don't find the cost to be too much at all (about $50).

Now for why I love it! The scent is a pleasant almond flavor and mmm...I love almond scented/flavored everything. The lotion is a dark brown color, easier to see it and get it rubbed in all even. The color is very natural and doesn't go orange. While any self tanner will rub off on clothes, especially while you're sweating in the summer, this one isn't too bad. And it washes right out so clothing isn't permanently ruined.

For application I always mix with some lotion, it really helps the product to go on more evenly and prevents streaking. I also like to go over those tricky areas (elbows, knees, ankles) with extra moisturizer so that they aren't darker than the rest of me. I have found through trial and error that it's best to apply every other day. If I use it every single day the pigment has a tendency to build up and be a little blotchy. Oh, and wash hands very very well after application.

In summary, after some dreadful experiences with other self tanners I had almost given up. Faux Tan has a lifetime customer in me! I can't even tell you how many compliments I have gotten on my "tan" this season. And the best part? I can have a gorgeous glow without baking my skin in the sun. Lord knows I spend way too much on Botox to go speeding up the aging process... ;)

on 6/5/2011 10:22:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

-Doesn't smell of self tanner.
-Natural color.
-Doesn't seem to stain.
-Lasts a long time for a self tan.
-Works well on fleshy, darker parts of my body such as upper thighs, forearms, calves. I looked great from behind!

-Nearly impossible for me to apply without streaking on my extremely pale skin. Bony or paler areas like inside of arms, shins, ankles were streaky, blotchy.
-Almond smell is unpleasant.
-Messy, sticky, takes too long to dry.
-Hassle to apply and clean up.

I have a hard time sleeping with this on. It is so sticky and smelly it keeps waking me up.

For my first application, I washed and exfoliated, paying special attention to knees, elbows, ankles, and tops of feet. I also moisturized because I'm very fair and was worried about uneven absorption. I didn't have any trouble with knees and elbows, but my ankles were a disaster: streaky, blotchy. I found it impossible to get an even coverage. I kept trying to smooth it out but eventually it got sticky and clumped, which was worse than the streaks.

The second time, I washed, exfoliated, and moisturized. This time I used gloves so I didn't have to worry about my hands turning brown. I also used a kabuki brush to blend as much as possible, but I still ran into trouble with it turning sticky and impossible to smooth out, resulting in clumping. I mixed the tanning cream with equal parts moisturizer to get a more gradual tan. Results this time were better, but still not great.

I have better results with TanTowel. It goes on more smoothly and dries immediately. However, it stinks and doesn't last very long, so I'm still looking for my HG self tanner.

This is probably a great product if you have dark skin. I've concluded that with my fair skin, I should probably use something less dark and more gradual.

Recommendations if you have fair skin:
Use gloves for a more even application. It soaks into your body part instead of your hands.
Smooth out using a brush or a mitt.
Moisturize beforehand and dilute product with moisturizer.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

The absolute only con on this is price. Smells pretty strong but smells nutty not chemically. Does not bother me at all. smells normally do bother me, like the Jergens stench, but this is not bad at all.
Goes on: streak-free! I use gloves and go in a circular motion and do my hands one at a time with the gloves - got this down to a science.
One application will get a nice golden color, two will get you DARK! Get on QVC sale

Video Reviews & Tutorials