April 16, 2014 | 979 users online

Self Tanners - Bare Escentuals - Faux Tan

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2011 3:32:00 PM More reviews by Lhegge

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Perfect! I purchased this from QVC as a set with the brush for applying it. I never considered a brush to apply self tanner but it is genius! I am very pale, NC15 and always end up looking orange and streaky no matter what brand of self tanner I use. This gives a very nice totally natural looking color almost effortlessly. Absorbs quickly so use only a little product at a time. Smells nice even the morning after. No tell-tale self tanner smell!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2011 1:25:00 PM More reviews by realpeak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

Yes this tanner is a gem! I have yellow tones to my skin and a lot of tanners do tend to make my skin look even more yellow or worse...orange. Faux Tan does not turn me orange or yellow, it gives a nice golden brown tan that looks very realistic. I enjoy the sweet almond smell, it doesn't smell as bad as other tanners I've tried do as it develops, I don't get any streaks (although I guess this depends on how you apply it - I prefer gloves or a tanning mitt), it gives a nice deep colour with just 1-2 uses. It can take a while to dry and feels a little heavy on my skin because of the moisturizing properties, but aslong as I put a towel over my pillows and under my bedsheets there's no problem. The staying power is pretty good, I manage to get 4 days out of it and I shower very frequently! I don't like the price for such a small bottle though. Despite that I do really like this tanner, nothing gives me a more natural result than Faux Tan.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2011 11:09:00 AM More reviews by mladkins

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

HG self tanner for sure! I've been using it for years now and am probably on my 6th or 7th bottle. I always buy the Big Daddy 16 oz. when it's featured on QVC. Considering that 1 bottle lasts me for more than 1 summer I don't find the cost to be too much at all (about $50).

Now for why I love it! The scent is a pleasant almond flavor and mmm...I love almond scented/flavored everything. The lotion is a dark brown color, easier to see it and get it rubbed in all even. The color is very natural and doesn't go orange. While any self tanner will rub off on clothes, especially while you're sweating in the summer, this one isn't too bad. And it washes right out so clothing isn't permanently ruined.

For application I always mix with some lotion, it really helps the product to go on more evenly and prevents streaking. I also like to go over those tricky areas (elbows, knees, ankles) with extra moisturizer so that they aren't darker than the rest of me. I have found through trial and error that it's best to apply every other day. If I use it every single day the pigment has a tendency to build up and be a little blotchy. Oh, and wash hands very very well after application.

In summary, after some dreadful experiences with other self tanners I had almost given up. Faux Tan has a lifetime customer in me! I can't even tell you how many compliments I have gotten on my "tan" this season. And the best part? I can have a gorgeous glow without baking my skin in the sun. Lord knows I spend way too much on Botox to go speeding up the aging process... ;)

rated 3 of 5 on 6/5/2011 10:22:00 AM More reviews by hyperj00

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pros:
-Doesn't smell of self tanner.
-Natural color.
-Doesn't seem to stain.
-Lasts a long time for a self tan.
-Works well on fleshy, darker parts of my body such as upper thighs, forearms, calves. I looked great from behind!

Cons:
-Nearly impossible for me to apply without streaking on my extremely pale skin. Bony or paler areas like inside of arms, shins, ankles were streaky, blotchy.
-Almond smell is unpleasant.
-Messy, sticky, takes too long to dry.
-Hassle to apply and clean up.

I have a hard time sleeping with this on. It is so sticky and smelly it keeps waking me up.

For my first application, I washed and exfoliated, paying special attention to knees, elbows, ankles, and tops of feet. I also moisturized because I'm very fair and was worried about uneven absorption. I didn't have any trouble with knees and elbows, but my ankles were a disaster: streaky, blotchy. I found it impossible to get an even coverage. I kept trying to smooth it out but eventually it got sticky and clumped, which was worse than the streaks.

The second time, I washed, exfoliated, and moisturized. This time I used gloves so I didn't have to worry about my hands turning brown. I also used a kabuki brush to blend as much as possible, but I still ran into trouble with it turning sticky and impossible to smooth out, resulting in clumping. I mixed the tanning cream with equal parts moisturizer to get a more gradual tan. Results this time were better, but still not great.

I have better results with TanTowel. It goes on more smoothly and dries immediately. However, it stinks and doesn't last very long, so I'm still looking for my HG self tanner.

This is probably a great product if you have dark skin. I've concluded that with my fair skin, I should probably use something less dark and more gradual.

Recommendations if you have fair skin:
-------------------------------------------------------
Use gloves for a more even application. It soaks into your body part instead of your hands.
Smooth out using a brush or a mitt.
Moisturize beforehand and dilute product with moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2011 11:03:00 PM More reviews by 87PersianPrincess

The absolute only con on this is price. Smells pretty strong but smells nutty not chemically. Does not bother me at all. smells normally do bother me, like the Jergens stench, but this is not bad at all.
Goes on: streak-free! I use gloves and go in a circular motion and do my hands one at a time with the gloves - got this down to a science.
One application will get a nice golden color, two will get you DARK! Get on QVC sale

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2011 12:06:00 PM More reviews by bennodalove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

HG! I've tried so many self-tanners (St Tropez, St Moriz, Dove, Johnsons, L'Oreal, Vita Liberata, Rimmel, He Shi, Sun Labs, Rodial Brazillian Tan, Xen Tan etc...) and this one blows them all out of the water. I am biracial Dominican/Nigerian/English but am really light skinned, about NC20 naturally. I always like to look tan. BE Faux Tan brings me up to about an NC37/40 which I'm very happy about.

It is pricey for the amount you get, 128ml for 15. The bottle is tiny and you will only be able to do about 3 or 4 full body applications with it. I don't know where to get the huge size bottles in the UK so if anybody knows please tell me!

Anyway, the smell is almost identical to Sun Labs with that cherry almond scent. As it develops you do smell that biscuit scent but it's not overwhelming like most other self tanners at all. Some of the reviews have said the colour guide is green but that is not the case with me at all? It's brown tinted, no hint of green when I apply on my body. Infact, it very red upon application. I was very nervous at first because it looked SOOOO streaky (I apply with a mitt) and I was convinced I would look like a zebra once I washed it off the next day. BTW be careful as it does stain the sheets and your clothes.

After leaving it on for about 7 hours the colour guide rinses off in the shower and I'm left with a gorgeous NATURAL looking tan. It's not yellow or orange, it's golden brown and looks similar to the colour I go when I naturally tan. I always get compliments on how "brown" I look hehehe...I look like I've come back from a week in the carribbean. They say the colour lasts 5-7 days but I think it's more like 3-4 but you can extend it by using a mild gradual tanner each night and then just top up with the BE Faux Tan once a week.

Overall I really love this and it's the only self tanner I will be using from now on. Great stuff, I'm very suprised BE could come up with such a great self tanner.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2011 11:43:00 AM More reviews by Prznbreeze

I am SO happy I bought this self tanner!! I just applied it for the first time last night and I already have a nice brown tan!

I always use gloves to apply self tanner so I did not have any issues with stained palms like some of the other users. I thought the smell was much better than most self tanners, there was no glitter (like L'Oreal Sublime Bronzer) and the color is far superior to other self tanners I've tried (again L'Oreal's product gives you more of an orangey color, whereas this is a nice brown).

It is definitely worth the $22!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2011 3:58:00 PM More reviews by carebear1234

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this self tanner! I've tried the St. Topez bronzing mousse, and this one works better and is cheaper! It gives you a great looking tan that is streak free and looks great for a few days,which is nice for me because I don't want to waste time applying tanner everyday. My friends thought I got my tan from the tanning beds when they saw me! Overall it's a great product, and I will buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/20/2011 12:52:00 AM More reviews by ladieo2009

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Having tried so many faux tanning products, I was excited to try this after watching it on QVC~ The value for the size is great, a little goes a long way and the scent is quite pleasant with a hint of almond. I got the buffing brush which does make application a lot easier. However, I must be doing something wrong.. I have showered, exfoliated, before bed, applied the lotion, waited about 10 minutes, put on pj's and went to bed. Showered off in the morning and the orangey tinge did wash away, however during the course of the day my arms got wet doing dishes etc and the water was turning brown. I can't seem to get this to stay on. Otherwise, I would have given this a 5!! Even the next day that awful smell that usually emits from bronzers and tanners wasn' there. It has great qualities, just embarrassing to wipe my arms and see the towel turning brown :( Would love to have given this a better review.. If I am able to correct this, I would definitely buy it again

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2011 7:54:00 PM More reviews by Pennyapple

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Brilliant self tanner. I bought it on QVC with the buffing brush. Showered, exfoliated, dried off, read the instructions just to be sure, and buffed away in a cross hatching manner, able to instantly correct where it was uneven as it applied instant colour on my skin.

I was pleased right off the bat with the soft pleasant scent as I was applying the self tanner...not even a hint of the gross DHA smell so far. It dried quickly to a dark bronzed colour, with a slight tint of orange. After a short while I put on my PJ's and went to bed. No colour transfer.

In the morning, I got a big whiff of that self tanner smell that you just can't avoid, but was able to shower it off easily. The colour was a natural tan that I'd normally have after a week of moderate sun in the Caribbean. Very natural, and very even. Best experience with a self tanner I've ever had. Hands down the most natural colour, and the easiest application.

3 days later my husband got a whiff of my legs and asked me why they smelled like crackers. That's not so bad actually....