Ouidad Climate Control Gel

3.7

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

As most of us with naturally curly hair know, it's very difficult to find a styling product that will enhance curls and make them frizz free, but yet not be crunchy. For my hair, this is it. I have shoulder length 3A curls. I use two quarter-sized dollups off this on my hair. One on the bottom half and one on the top half. I tried the styling instructions on the Ouidad web site, but found it was way too much product and made my hair slightly crunchy (not a big deal; I just scrunched it out). All the product also weighed my hair down. With just the two dollups, I find I don't have to scrunch out my hair as much when it dries like I normally do with other products. The only thing I don't care as much for is the new packaging. It's impossible to see how much product is left in the bottle because of the full label. You just have to guess. I also don't like that I can't just go buy this in a store and that I have to order it. But, it's an excellent product and I get a lot of compliments on my curls.

This is an expensive gel BUT a little goes a long way. I have very long, naturally dry hair w/lots of wave. The wave can easily morph into a frizzy mess with some other products. I use this gel after the curl quencher moisturizing shampoo & conditioner. After applying I just leave it alone to dry naturally. It is a rare product (or combination of products) that will allow me to comfortably head out in the world without the flat iron, hot rollers or push come to shove, a hat. This one provides me with the opportunity to experience wash, gel, and go hair.
It has a very slight scent - to me nothing objectionable.
My only problem with this is that it will leave my hair slightly sticky. Once I run my fingers or comb through it is fine. A minor objection for how it leaves my hair.

on 1/26/2009 3:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I received a sample of this product, and although I don't live in a hot and humid climate or have unruly, frizzy hair, I found it worked pretty well on my dry, medium-textured, 2b hair by enhancing curl formation. It has a thin liquid-like texture.

Climate Control has a soft hold while Ouidad's Tress FX has a strong hold and also leaves my hair feeling crunchy. Climate Control has a mild perfume-type fragrance that I don't care for, but that soon goes away. It's an effective product if soft hold works for you.

On the downside, the gel doesn't provide shine, so that's why I lowered my rating.

Neither gel is any better than the product I'm currently using (Free and Clear Hair Styling Gel) so I won't repurchase.

on 1/19/2009 7:14:00 PM

I was pretty disapointed with this product. I waited a long time to try it, since it was so expensive. However, I finally caved and ordered it after becoming frustrated with my shoulder-length, thick curly/wavy hair. After having such high hopes, I was sad to learn that it did not work for me. Although I liked the smell and consistancy, it left my hair 'weird' looking. It certainly did not bring out the curl, and it left my hair with an uneven texture. I even tried the 'shake and rake' technique, but it didn't help. *shrugs* I sent this one back to HSN - onto the next.

on 12/26/2008 3:48:00 PM

This is my Holy Grail of products. I have long, relatively healthy, fine, NATURALLY curly hair. Over the course of my life, I had tried literally every product on the market for curly hair. That all stopped when I found this. I saw it in Allure's Best of Issue in 2000 and it seriously changed my life.

I recommend reading and following the instructions on how to apply the product. If done correctly, you should have soft curls that hold with no frizz-- and more importantly- with no stiff, crunchy, producty feeling that other gels and mousses can give. I love love love Ouidad. They have revolutionized curls for everyone.

This is kind of like L'Oreal's melting gel now under another name. Smells nice .It gives my wavey hair more definition ,but so far in the humidity it holds okay,not as great as i would expect. This is not a extra hold gel, it made my very hair soft and i put a bit of regular mousse or gel on top lightly just to keep it from going every which way.

on 8/14/2008 7:30:00 PM

This was just ok for me, I have long, some what thick, coarse curly hair. I also live where it is very humid, and rainy all the time. So of course when I saw this Climate Control gel I thought "great!". It smells good, I'll give it that, but the actual hold of this product was less than I expected, I know you could buy more of their products to use for hold but dang this stuff is $25.00! I tried mixing it into some of my other styling products and it did alright. I may try a sample kit with all of the shampoo's and stuff, but i wont buy a full size bottle of this again.

on 6/13/2008 9:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I LOVE this stuff. I have very curly hair that I have struggled with my entire life, until I found ouidad!! I get the carve and slice hair cut every six months and I use only ouidad products! My hair has never been so manageable, and unfrizzy. I highly reccommend this and the botanical boost.

on 4/8/2008 3:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is a really nice humid-weather gel. It is expensive so I buy it in the professional size, but save it for the worst summer weather. I alternate with this and Curl Keeper (another awesome product for humid weather). I apply it very generously, section by section, to my hair and then diffuse dry. I can *always* count on a good hair day when I use this product, no matter what its like outside!

on 1/3/2008 1:26:00 PM

I am a naturally curly girl, and this is my HG styling product. Like most other girls with curls, I am a product junkie and have tried anything and everything to get my curls to behave. This gel gives me soft, defined, frizz-free spirals that hold all day (actually, several days). It is the only hair product that has kept my loyalty longer than a few months.

I purchase the professional 33.5 oz size through the Ouidad website (ouidad.com). At last purchase, the 33.5 oz size was $66. I have thick, medium length hair, and this lasts me between 2 and 3 months. I know it sounds like a lot of money, but I actually save money this way, since I'm not buying 5 or 6 products a month that I'll only use once before tossing.

Here is how I use the gel:

1. Shampoo and condition hair, rinse upside down.
2. While hair is SOAKING WET (and I'm still in the shower), apply quarter-sized amount of gel mixed with a pea-sized drop of deep conditioner and smooth over entire hair surface.
3. Using nickel-sized amounts of gel only, "rake" gel through hair in small sections at a time (about 5 sections) while hair is still upside down (and I'm still in the shower).
4. Scrunch hair (still upside down and in the shower) to promote curl formation and squeeze out excess water.
5. Step out of shower and use plain 100% cotton t-shirt to blot excess liquid.
6. Clip hair at roots for volume and air dry (or diffuse dry).
7. After hair is dried, rub nickel-sized amount of Shine Glaze between palms and run over hair, as if gathering hair in a pony-tail.

For full disclosure, I also use Ouidad shampoo and conditioner, and I do the Ouidad deep conditioning every month, so my hair is in the best shape it's ever been in. I'm not sure how well the gel would work on my "old" hair (back in my Herbal Essence days . . . *shudder*).

Popular Styling Products