October 30, 2014 | 1478 users online

Eyeliner - Laura Mercier - Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Black Ebony

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2008 1:29:00 PM More reviews by SugahCookie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

The most beautiful long lasting eyeliner I own! The color black is intense and velvet, sexy looking. Never smudges or fades on me. I have every color in Laura Mercier's cake eye liners. Worth every cent I paid. Love it!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/15/2008 4:00:00 PM More reviews by jbel80

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The Laura Mercier way of of dabbing this moistened eyeliner into your lash line from below the lashes while looking down is absolutely awesome. I used to use the black ebony and the blue marine cake eyeliner for years, except that little flakes would fall below my eyes every day. The good thing is that this eyeliner stays put and doesn't smudge even with my oily lids. The bad thing is the flaking. I actually found that if you use the Laura Mercier method of applying eyeliner (as I mentioned above, and with the flat eyeliner brush) but with the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner, that works the absolute best. The Laura Mercier cake eyeliner can get too messy because you have to add water whenever you use it and the cake can dry out and crumble in the container. I've repurchased this before, but now I've realized that this is not the best out there.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/17/2008 6:58:00 PM More reviews by violetfemme

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm a black liner addict (and mascara junkie) and I usually wear the black Stila Smudgepot. But on days I want something a little different this is what I reach for. Same look, just do two coats like I do with the Stila and I'm set. I usually try to give it a bit more time to dry (just a few seconds) but I got it at the same time as my Stila and it still looks unused. A flat brush I think is best with this, and it is great for giving a more natural looking line.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2008 7:14:00 AM More reviews by sylvo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this product! I have been using it for years and will never consider another eyeliner. It's perfect for a natural look, but it's possible to build as well. It never smudges and is easy to apply (once you master Laura's techniques...). It is kinda intimidating at first but use a flat brush and it's fullproof. I can't apply make up well at all but have no probs with this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2008 11:36:00 PM More reviews by debwoman

LOVE love this eyeliner. It's my all-time favorite, even though at first I thought it was ridiculously high maintenance because of the water and using the tricky little brush to dab it on. But I've been using it for 3 years now, and it's like second nature to turn on the tap and dab my wet brush in the cake. (By the way, 3 years, and still have plenty left in the compact). The only downfall I would have to mention about this one-- and others have said it too-- is that it has, on occasion, smudged on the upper lid and left a faint half moon on the crease. But I've found this to happen only on really hot days when my skin is especially oily. So it's not waterproof or smudgeproof, but it's pretty darn close. I even wore it on my wedding day because I couldn't bear the thought of using another liner when I was so used to the smooth, precise line from this one. I occasionally try out other liners for fun colors or different effects, and am starting to love Bobbi Brown's gel liners that come in pretty frosted glass pots, but Laura Mercier's cake liner is my old-fashioned favorite.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2008 8:08:00 AM More reviews by svbrown

I was a tightlining newbie when the MA tried this on me during a makeover. I'd seen lots of pics here on MUA of tightlining, but I didn't think it was something I would be able to do.

The LM cake liner is really easy to use - like so many reviewers have said below, it really is important not to make it too wet or it will smudge. The mixed consistency should creamy, not runny at all. Then I just used a flat brush by UD to push it up between my upper lashes - works like a dream!

If you get the consistency right, the liner lasts all day without smudging. Also, I wear contact lenses and this product has not irritated them. I'd buy again if I ever run out, but there seems like there's plenty of product so it should last ages.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2008 1:51:00 PM More reviews by BeagleLab

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This puppy is headed back to Nordstroms as fast as I can get it there. After putting it on last night, walking the dogs and just sitting around, I ended up with 2 black eyes. I should never have let the SA talk me into this. Bobbi Brown here I come.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/28/2008 10:00:00 AM More reviews by linhg25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I live in a hot, humid area and I have very oily skin. I have asian eyes and when I blink there is a lot of skin contact between my upper and lower lids. I have been having a hard time finding an eyeliner that does not smudge. This eyeliner is a disappointment. It smears after a couple of hours. I can't blame it all on this product because it is hard for liner not to smudge on me. If I lived in a dryer climate, I think this would work for me. I never had a problem with my eyeliner running until I moved to a humid climate. This product get three lippies because it is easy to use, has a rich black color, and sets quickly.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2008 3:27:00 PM More reviews by Dana57

I love this eyeliner. It is really important not to use too much water, it thins out to much and drips/smudges. The eyeliner should have the consistency of thick oil paint and only apply it with a thin quality brush. If you apply it right at the lashline and then paint it in between your lashes from underneath it creates the illusion of super thick lashes and really makes your eyes pop. I haven't been able to find any other eyeliner that lets you draw a line as close to your lashes without irritation. It takes a steady hand, but as long as you focus when you're doing it it works wonderfully!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2008 6:39:00 PM More reviews by chitchatgo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love this eyeliner. The only thing that makes a very thin line that sits very close to the lash line. Once it sets, it lasts all day without budging. The only thing is that it is not waterproof so I have to use a different product if I want to use it on the waterline, which I only do when I have heavier makeup, which is rare.

The cake lasts a long time, but you do have to buy a brush to use this properly. I wish they would come out with more colors. I would love to have a dark brown and a warm gray with this. Sometimes black can be too jarring on casual days. The mahogany brown they have is too reddish.