Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Black Ebony

4.3

on 11/7/2008 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I bought this specifically for tight lining my eyes (done by pushing eyeliner under your lashes instead of on top so the pigment settles between the lashes, which produces the appearance of a thicker lash line). I've tried tight lining my top lashes with gel liner and always ended up with the liner on the inner rim of my bottom lashes when I blinked. I've also stabbed myself in the eye several times using other brushes. The only way I have ever been able to tight line successfully, and with minimal time and effort, is by using the LM cake liner, a little water and the LM Flat Eye Liner brush. This will set you back about $40. Your local LM sales associate should be able to show you how to do it right. I think it's worth it, particularly if you were not blessed with dense, dark lashes in the first place. I still use a pencil or cream liner above the lash line, usually smudging it quite a bit to get a smokier eye. I would also recommend using the cake liner in bleu marine, especially if you have green or blue eyes. It's a dark navy color and when used to tight line the inner lash line it seems to give a subtle brightness to your eyes.

on 11/4/2008 5:23:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I love this product. I used it about a year ago and for some reason I stopped and just started using pencils. I went a tried it again a couple weeks ago and I could not believe I went back to pencils!! This is by far the best eye liner, and I use it with the ecotools liner brush or the ELF eye liner brush. Laura Mercier's eye liner brush is just a little too soft for me. Love how you can wear this product during the day and then at night spice it up and add even more to make it a night time look. Never going back to pencil lining again!

on 11/3/2008 10:42:00 PM

This is an absolutely incredibly eyeliner, the deepest, sootiest, richest black eyeliner I've ever used. I got a BI sample from a friend and wow, am I impressed. Just get a drop of water on your brush (I use SK's bent liner brush), work into a paste, and presto, the deepest darkest black eyeliner a girl could wish for. I've always shied away from using black liquid liner too often because it can be such a harsh look--I don't know how to explain it but there's something softer about this, but the color is intense.

I knocked off one lippie for three reasons: because I wish the FS product was a little bit less expensive, because it takes a little longer to use which sometimes is more time than I have in the morning, and because it irritated my eyes a bit on the waterline (I don't think it's intended to be used there so be advised!). But these are small quibbles with a truly superior product.

on 10/19/2008 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Eyes: Violet

The most beautiful long lasting eyeliner I own! The color black is intense and velvet, sexy looking. Never smudges or fades on me. I have every color in Laura Mercier's cake eye liners. Worth every cent I paid. Love it!

on 10/15/2008 4:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

The Laura Mercier way of of dabbing this moistened eyeliner into your lash line from below the lashes while looking down is absolutely awesome. I used to use the black ebony and the blue marine cake eyeliner for years, except that little flakes would fall below my eyes every day. The good thing is that this eyeliner stays put and doesn't smudge even with my oily lids. The bad thing is the flaking. I actually found that if you use the Laura Mercier method of applying eyeliner (as I mentioned above, and with the flat eyeliner brush) but with the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner, that works the absolute best. The Laura Mercier cake eyeliner can get too messy because you have to add water whenever you use it and the cake can dry out and crumble in the container. I've repurchased this before, but now I've realized that this is not the best out there.

on 9/17/2008 6:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I'm a black liner addict (and mascara junkie) and I usually wear the black Stila Smudgepot. But on days I want something a little different this is what I reach for. Same look, just do two coats like I do with the Stila and I'm set. I usually try to give it a bit more time to dry (just a few seconds) but I got it at the same time as my Stila and it still looks unused. A flat brush I think is best with this, and it is great for giving a more natural looking line.

on 9/3/2008 7:14:00 AM

I love this product! I have been using it for years and will never consider another eyeliner. It's perfect for a natural look, but it's possible to build as well. It never smudges and is easy to apply (once you master Laura's techniques...). It is kinda intimidating at first but use a flat brush and it's fullproof. I can't apply make up well at all but have no probs with this product.

on 8/26/2008 11:36:00 PM

LOVE love this eyeliner. It's my all-time favorite, even though at first I thought it was ridiculously high maintenance because of the water and using the tricky little brush to dab it on. But I've been using it for 3 years now, and it's like second nature to turn on the tap and dab my wet brush in the cake. (By the way, 3 years, and still have plenty left in the compact). The only downfall I would have to mention about this one-- and others have said it too-- is that it has, on occasion, smudged on the upper lid and left a faint half moon on the crease. But I've found this to happen only on really hot days when my skin is especially oily. So it's not waterproof or smudgeproof, but it's pretty darn close. I even wore it on my wedding day because I couldn't bear the thought of using another liner when I was so used to the smooth, precise line from this one. I occasionally try out other liners for fun colors or different effects, and am starting to love Bobbi Brown's gel liners that come in pretty frosted glass pots, but Laura Mercier's cake liner is my old-fashioned favorite.

on 7/26/2008 8:08:00 AM

I was a tightlining newbie when the MA tried this on me during a makeover. I'd seen lots of pics here on MUA of tightlining, but I didn't think it was something I would be able to do.

The LM cake liner is really easy to use - like so many reviewers have said below, it really is important not to make it too wet or it will smudge. The mixed consistency should creamy, not runny at all. Then I just used a flat brush by UD to push it up between my upper lashes - works like a dream!

If you get the consistency right, the liner lasts all day without smudging. Also, I wear contact lenses and this product has not irritated them. I'd buy again if I ever run out, but there seems like there's plenty of product so it should last ages.

on 6/14/2008 1:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

This puppy is headed back to Nordstroms as fast as I can get it there. After putting it on last night, walking the dogs and just sitting around, I ended up with 2 black eyes. I should never have let the SA talk me into this. Bobbi Brown here I come.