November 28, 2014 | 1092 users online

Liquid - Merle Norman - Luxiva Lasting Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 12/4/2010 8:18:00 PM More reviews by Lucy60

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Good foundation without looking like foundation. Covers my not-so-flawless face so well that I get compliments on what a nice complexion I have (if they only knew!). Stays put all day, doesn't smear or bleed onto clothing. Can be drying, but if you put MN moisturizer prior to applying, it doesn't feel or look drying . Best foundation I have found for Houston's high humidity. A bit on the expensive side, but lasts a while, so it is worth it. Have been using MN since I was a teen. It is a great brand, just misunderstood.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2010 9:25:00 PM More reviews by annievell

Okay Okay, heres the deal with this foundation if you are wondering....
people who review this saying "ew omg this is like wearing a mask" are obviously not looking for a long wear-good coverage foundation. If you want a light tinted moisturizer, this aint for you. if you want something super natural looking....sorry, same goes for you. I wear makeup because my skin isn't usually all that great and i dont care if people can see i wear makeup....because i WANT THE COVERAGE...and unfortunately, i havent found a foundation that has decent coverage and is invisible to the naked eye. this is what it is. good buildible coverage, long lasting. smudge proof awesomeness (if you think like i do) ... i dont want to hug someone and leave a face print on their shirt....this wont do that. yes you can swim in it, tho who would really wanna do that, idk. doesn't clog my pores as far as i can tell and as far as a setting powder i would recommend MN oil control translucent powder. its awesome...to the point.

EDIT: the less you use of this, the better it will look on your skin as the day progresses. ex: as my skin improves (THANK YOU JOJOBA OIL) im using less foundation. if you use more of this, as the day progresses you might get little spots on your nose and chin when you may be more oily. the less you use, the less this happens... but the foundation will still accentuate pores due to oil (i have oily skin) and will make foundation a little "sticky"

i thiiiink my new HG is double wear.... though this comes in a close second.

FINAL EDIT 4/16/11

i keep trying to come back to this....but after comparing it to the EL DW line, i know for sure that this doesn't match up!

it looks nice for the first 5 hours on my oily skin...which is good!...but when it gets oily, YOUR SCREWED! your foundation gets super tacky with this (if you have oily skin like me) and separates around the pores, which gets VERY hard to correct after it occurs. DWL is comparable. still gets a little oily, but not tacky. less coverage with DWlight, but at least its easier to maintain throughout the day with a little powder

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2010 10:50:00 PM More reviews by blueroses2525

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

After much experimentation, research, and monetary waste, I can finally say that I have found my "HG" foundation. I have extremely oily skin and live in a humid Southern climate, so most foundations oxidize and dissolve by around 4:00 PM each day. My skin also has significant acne scarring and redness that can be difficult to conceal.

Enter MN's Luxiva Lasting Foundation -- it leaves my skin beautifully matte and porcelain-like from the moment I put it on until the time I take it off. I do have to blot once or twice throughout the day, but the foundation maintains its beautiful color. It does darken slightly as the day goes on, but nothing that a quick touch-up can't fix. I pay $28 for it -- less than I was paying for Lancome's Fresh Wear, and for a far superior product. I put my cream blush on over it and then set it with Merle Norman's Oil Control Pressed Powder. I would recommend this wonderful product to anyone with oily skin who needs buildable, long-lasting, and natural-looking coverage!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2010 4:03:00 PM More reviews by uraznbabygurl

I really hope that this never gets discontinued, because I'm pretty sure it's my HG! Like many users, I really didn't think much of Merle Norman makeup. We all know their line is not as "hip" as many other brands out there. Thus, I am very impressed with their makeup line, it's something I wished I discovered earlier!

First of all, I'm a student in a professional school. I was in need of a foundation that will last throughout the school day (typically from 10-5, sometimes 8-5 @_@). Also, I wouldn't want to see patients without at least looking fresh and polished.

With my very oily skin type, it has been hard to find a foundation that would last long on me. I have tried many liquid foundations (Revlon Colorstay, Rimmel Stay Matte, L'Oreal True Match, MAC StudioFix, Clinique Superfit, Avon Ideal Shade, MAC F&B, etc. etc.) and none really held up throughout the day. Mineral foundations didn't perform as well as I'd like either, and not to mention the MESS that they make. For the past few years, I have been searching for the "cheap-but-good" liquid foundation. However, I can say now that I have wasted too much $$ trying to find something under that criteria. This foundation is not cheap by any means (I got mine for $26), but it really is a good investment, especially since I'm sure I'll be wearing it daily.

With this foundation, I recommend using a light moisturizer (I'm using Neutrogena's Oil-Free Moisture SPF35) with the Merle Norman foundation primer, and a setting powder on top (I'm using ELF's HD powder or ELF's Complexion Perfection powder). I have been using this combo every day and I get a natural, matte finish with medium coverage. Best of all, I don't need to use a whole lot of this foundation to cover my entire face! My brush of choice to use with this foundation is ELF's Studio Foundation brush.

Supposedly, this foundation has some Retinol in it. The SA told me that your skin would look better after you wash the foundation off, but I'm not sure I would believe that. I can say that I haven't broken out at all with this foundation, though my skin is not as acne-prone as it used to be. I did read some reviews before buying the foundation and I haven't read anyone say that it broke them out. I think as long as you wash your face well at night, you'll be okay!

As far as color matching, I found a near perfect shade for my light-medium, golden-olive, Asian (NC30ish) skin. The shade I was matched to was "Natural", which is the 4th warm shade. I could have also gotten away with "Creamy Beige", but I felt it had more orange than "Natural" did. "Natural" is definitely yellow-toned with the slightest amount of peach. I did like the fact that each shade was categorized to warm or cool, but none are labeled as neutral (which might be a problem for some). Perhaps some shades lean towards the neutral side, but I can say that their warm shades are truly yellow toned, which is something which a lot of drugstore foundations don't have.

Overall, if you're looking for a liquid foundation that is long-lasting, provides medium coverage, and gives a matte finish, this is for you! <333 this foundation!

EDIT:
I have been using Milk of Magnesia as a primer for the past few days, and I will say that it works well with my skin and this foundation...actually, even better than the Merle Norman primer (although that is also nice). If you have very oily skin, I highly recommend using MoM as a primer!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2010 7:24:00 PM More reviews by jennrowe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This foundation leaves a really nice matte finish. It is perfect for someone who likes liquid foundation and needs something that is long lasting. Even though it is long lasting it blends so easily and is so silky feeling to the skin. It is extremely lightweight as well.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/5/2010 7:04:00 PM More reviews by yadi8186

I was looking for a new foundation with good coverage for summer and based on the MA reviews I went out to buy Luxiva, thankfully the sales girl gave me a sample before buying the real bottle. I have to say I didn't like it at all. It settles into pores and it has very light coverage, nothing for a 8 to 5 job. the only good thing about it was the lasting power. Other than that I'm glad I didn't buy. honestly there are better makeups out there for the same price.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/16/2010 9:09:00 PM More reviews by Jessica84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got a sample of this yesterday and was really excited to try it this morning. Once I put it on and it set I was really happy with it. It was incredibly matte and the color was good. My face actually felt kind of dry though, which is unusual because I have extremely oily skin. After about an hour I looked in the mirror and realized that I looked like I aged about 15 years! It settled into every single line that I didn't even know existed on my face. It clung to every dry flaky piece of skin. Overall I just looked old and worn out. I'm really disappointed because it does have AMAZING staying power, unlike any other foundation I've tried. The problem is that I don't want it staying on face because it looks so bad on me!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/18/2010 10:05:00 PM More reviews by ljamison

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used this product for a few years. It glides on like the most lightweight lotion and then after about 10 seconds changes texture. It dries and sets in place. It is definitely long lasting. Some cleansers didn't really take it off. I had to use a stronger cleanser (Merle Norman Skin Refining Cleanser). Between this product and the cleanser it dried my face. This product also settled into pores as you could see in a magnification mirror. I have changed to Clinique Even Better foundation, it has great staying power and doesn't settle into the pores.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2010 12:02:00 PM More reviews by lrlholtmeyer

FINALLY! I never would have given MN a thought until I saw the reviews here...and I am not disappointed. I have been searching for over a year for a foundation (mineral or liquid) that would stay on my oily face all day (EL Double Matte, KMS minerals, Revlon CS etc.) and they all looked horrible after a couple of hours or made my face break out! After finding MN my search officially ends. Really controls the oil, stays all day, doesn't irritate my face. I use a little Luxiva PP over it and it looks flawless. I'm a Merle girl now!!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/8/2010 11:56:00 AM More reviews by camijlaurel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ughh!!! This felt like a mask on my face, and I could not get it off until I had washed my face three times and looked like a tomato afterwards!! Stay away--this stuff is garbage.