October 30, 2014 | 1411 users online

Moisturizers - La Roche Posay - Toleriane Soothing Protective Light Facial Fluid

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2010 3:45:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Check out my notepad to read a more detailed explanation of my skin type!

What it Claims:
"This real concentrate of thermal spring water, with a fluid and matifying texture, penetrates instantly and restores comfort to the skin. The skin is immediately fresh and hydrated, lastingly soothed and protected."

Claims - True or False?
1) Matte texture: False. Even with initial application, a slight sheen can be seen.
2) Penetrates instantly: Undetermined. I would say that it soaks in fairly quick, but it may also leave a slight residue/film behind.
3) Restores comfort to the skin: False. I believe it is too light (for my skin) to really aid in any discomfort, which is usually caused by dryness.
4) Lastingly soothed: False. It may depend on how irritated your face feels, but I find that the more irritated the skin is for whatever reason, the less soothing this product will be.

Packaging:
A very hygienic and efficient pump packaging with a secure lid. Comes in a box, which is quite wasteful. Very simple, almost clinical aesthetics. I am unsure as to how travel-friendly this product would be, or if the pump would cause any waste, but it seems to be a good quality packaging, nothing special.

Smell:
Fragrance-free. I really don't notice any scent at all.

Consistency:
As the name would suggest, this product is very runny. One pump is enough to cover your entire face, but it can soak in a little too fast, meaning you cannot always properly massage it onto your face. Feels a little oily as well.

Ease of Use:
The packaging is very well designed, making the use of the product quite simple. One pump works to dispense enough product for the entire face, the cap isn't flimsy and doesn't get stuck to the pump, and the lotion is watery enough to easily spread over your face. As stated above however, it can be difficult to get every area evenly, and may result in the need to use a second pump to go over missed areas.

Bang for your Buck:
Here in Canada, this fluid costs about $30.00 for 40ml, yet costs $25.00 in the States. Seeing as the Canadian dollar is only worth slightly less than the American dollar right now, we do end up paying more money. Overall, I would say that this is quite expensive for what you get, as I cannot see this product lasting more than 3-4 months with daily use. However, if it works for your skin, then it's definitely worth the money.

Final Consensus:
Lately, my skin has begun to change ever so slightly. My skin became much drier this winter than in any other, and I experienced far less oil production. However, now that it's warming up, I thought that my skin might become a little oilier again. So, instead of purchasing their Hydraphase Legere (which I'd sampled a few times and did like), I purchased this product instead, as it was fragrance free and was designed for combo to oily skin. When applied to my hand, it seemed light, but on my face it did not offer enough hydration unless I used two pumps, which results in all-over shine. It leaves a residue on my face that becomes sticky as the day progresses, and might be worsening my blackheads. I cannot determine what effect it has on my acne as I've only used it a few times, but I can already see that this product is not for me, even now that my skin is far less dry. For someone with truly oily skin and with no dry patch issues, this might work wonders. On my skin however, it was not sufficient. I will exchange for either their Hydraphase Legere or the Toleriane version for normal to combo skin. I would rate this a 3/5 as it was just average for my skin, but I have taken off an extra lippie for the price.
Oh, and the squalane in here is absolutely fine, but it CAN potentially be a breakout factor for some. Just because a product contains oils, doesn't mean it will automatically leave your skin oily or break you out.

Overall Rating: 2/5
Price: 4/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2010 8:33:00 PM More reviews by ebijou

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am surprised to read bad reviews about this item, but understand not all products are for everyone. This is the only moisterizer that doesn't cause me to break out. I really helps keeping my skin stable, in pretty good condition. I wish there was a "richer" version of this one -- with the same ingredients! I have combo, sensitive, acne and redness prone skin... this is the best moisterizer I have found so far.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2009 9:40:00 PM More reviews by missgeek

Very light and moisturizers very well. Skin feels nice.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/10/2009 2:39:00 PM More reviews by JMAngel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Be really careful with this - it states non-oily on the box and only has about 7 ingredients - as an OSNW thought it would be good as need to find a replacement for Prescriptives Super Flight Cream now that prescriptives are going out of business (boo hoo!) Anyway, got totally lulled into a false sense of security with the minimal amount of ingredients and didn't do my usual patch testing on my forehead first, then cheeks before I put it anywhere on my nose or chin - big mistake! Chin and nose broke out terribly - lots of deep painful cysts on chin in particular - totally upset. Then had a closer look at the ingredients - squalene is an oil!!!! Be very careful - non-oily does not mean oil-free.

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2009 8:29:00 PM More reviews by Kay789

I am not currently using this product but I have for many years used LaRochePosay products. They are great for sensitive skin and it never gave me breakouts or milia, I am thinking of going back to it. However, it's not a green product and I am trying to go the natural route. I enjoyed how it was lightly moisturizing. It's fairly pricey as a bottle cost 23$ CAD +tx. I think La Roche Posay is also owned by Loreal but it's their "dermatology clinic friendly" line. Hence the good quality.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2009 3:47:00 PM More reviews by fabmac1

I got this as a gift so I don't know how much this goes for. I have the worse type of skin ever! It's dry, combo, acne prone, sensitive skin with mild redness... almost anything I use ends up clogging my pore/breaking me out! This stuff isn't bad! It really does "sooth" my intolerable skin and leaves it nice and matte. No stickiness either. I can feel the cooling sensation after applying and it feels wonderful! Works great under make up and makes the redness in my face lessen. Great stuff!!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2009 10:54:00 AM More reviews by Kathi200

After a major break-out and with my skin being overly irritated my doctor told me to get this one. Toleriane is without perfumes and can be used by every skin type. It's a nice light fluid for those who have very sensitive skin and tend to get irritations from all the added perfumes in most facial creams.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2009 11:10:00 PM More reviews by junomacguff

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a great light moisture lotion for when my skin is oilier during the warmer months. Never irritates my very sensitive skin and is a great bland moisturizer with no fragrance or preservatives.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2009 1:22:00 PM More reviews by alula

I dig LRP and absolutely love their products. This is my very favorite moisturizer, and I've been using it about 6 months after receiving a ton of samples at CVS.
I find this very moisturizing for my Taz-treated skin. The lotion is thin and very hydrating. It wears wonderfully under makeup (I usually apply LRP Anthelios Moisturizer SPF 15 over it, which is nice and creamy) and I get nice, very dewy (in a youthful, not greaseball way) skin. I apply LM mineral setting powder over it and I'm done.
I have sensitive, plug-prone skin (in chin area) and haven't had any problems. As I said, I use Taz every night so maybe that just keeps my skin clear, but honestly....it's never looked better. I use it day and night!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2009 10:51:00 AM More reviews by ninjalips

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was one of the worst products I've ever tried. It caused a bad reaction although it has only a handful of ingredients and perfume/paraben and petroleum free. It balls up even when I put it on damp skin and doesn't even hydrate! For something that is meant for very sensitive skins I think it's way too harsh. I know people have success with this and it's all good. But for me most of the Toleraine range is a no go.