La Roche Posay Toleriane Soothing Protective Light Facial Fluid

3.8

Aqua/Water,Squalane, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Ethylhexyl-Glycerin, Caprylyl Glycol

This is by far my favorite moisturizer that I own. The Toleriane Soothing Facial Fluid is a HG item for me. I love how light it feels on the face. I have oily skin and I can see that this would work wonders for people with dry or oily skin. It has a very minimal scent. I can see that this product would work best in a hot climate or in the summertime. I think my only complaint about this product is that I wish it had more of a “matte” finish. It claims to have a matte finish but it leaves my face looking fairly shiny.

on 7/1/2010 7:02:00 PM

This is a staple for me. Its the first/only moisturizer that I have repurchased consistantly for almost 2 years. I have very acne prone skin that is also dry from regular use of retin a. The toleriane fluide is more hydrating than you might expect and I even use it through the winter. When I am especially dry i will add a couple of layers and it doesn't pill up on me. Best of all, it does not break me out...this is huge for me. I have used the other versions of the toleriane moisturizers and keep the riche version on hand for exceptionally dry days, but the other versions will cause some little whiteheads if I use them too often.

on 6/3/2010 12:56:00 PM

Am 36 now & going back to this product.

I was using this few years back & it was a simple moisturiser that really served my combination skin well.

it went well with the serums/other stuff i had (acne creams,aha,bhas) & now after giving birth my pregnancy oiliness is stablising & i feel this moisturiser could serve me well again.

There are simple moisturisers that you wished you didnt buy - no matter how cheap they were but this is not one of them. You feel good using it. not to oily, but just nice for me. would recommend it for combination skins 25-40 yrs old in hot weather. & for younger skins in colder less humid weather zones.

its a great base for makeup as well if u just want something to help blend your foundation better.

on 3/26/2010 5:08:00 PM

I have combo skin. Oily t-zone, dry/normal areas, and rosacea on my cheeks. Not a happy combo. I decided to give this product a try because they advertise themselves as a product specifically for my skin type. The first time I put it on it stung on my upper lip. I had a small pimple there so I attributed the sting to that. However, each time I put it on, it seemed to sting more. By the third day I had to stop. I ended up getting a weird rash on the right side of my face, almost by my ear, FOUR cystic pimples on my chin, and 3 little pimples on my upper lip where the stinging was happening. I was allergic to something in the fluid, and considering it doesn't have many ingredients to begin with, I am baffled. My face is STILL recovering, and it's been almost 2 weeks since i stopped using it. NEVER buying this again.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Check out my notepad to read a more detailed explanation of my skin type!

What it Claims:
"This real concentrate of thermal spring water, with a fluid and matifying texture, penetrates instantly and restores comfort to the skin. The skin is immediately fresh and hydrated, lastingly soothed and protected."

Claims - True or False?
1) Matte texture: False. Even with initial application, a slight sheen can be seen.
2) Penetrates instantly: Undetermined. I would say that it soaks in fairly quick, but it may also leave a slight residue/film behind.
3) Restores comfort to the skin: False. I believe it is too light (for my skin) to really aid in any discomfort, which is usually caused by dryness.
4) Lastingly soothed: False. It may depend on how irritated your face feels, but I find that the more irritated the skin is for whatever reason, the less soothing this product will be.

Packaging:
A very hygienic and efficient pump packaging with a secure lid. Comes in a box, which is quite wasteful. Very simple, almost clinical aesthetics. I am unsure as to how travel-friendly this product would be, or if the pump would cause any waste, but it seems to be a good quality packaging, nothing special.

Smell:
Fragrance-free. I really don't notice any scent at all.

Consistency:
As the name would suggest, this product is very runny. One pump is enough to cover your entire face, but it can soak in a little too fast, meaning you cannot always properly massage it onto your face. Feels a little oily as well.

Ease of Use:
The packaging is very well designed, making the use of the product quite simple. One pump works to dispense enough product for the entire face, the cap isn't flimsy and doesn't get stuck to the pump, and the lotion is watery enough to easily spread over your face. As stated above however, it can be difficult to get every area evenly, and may result in the need to use a second pump to go over missed areas.

Bang for your Buck:
Here in Canada, this fluid costs about $30.00 for 40ml, yet costs $25.00 in the States. Seeing as the Canadian dollar is only worth slightly less than the American dollar right now, we do end up paying more money. Overall, I would say that this is quite expensive for what you get, as I cannot see this product lasting more than 3-4 months with daily use. However, if it works for your skin, then it's definitely worth the money.

Final Consensus:
Lately, my skin has begun to change ever so slightly. My skin became much drier this winter than in any other, and I experienced far less oil production. However, now that it's warming up, I thought that my skin might become a little oilier again. So, instead of purchasing their Hydraphase Legere (which I'd sampled a few times and did like), I purchased this product instead, as it was fragrance free and was designed for combo to oily skin. When applied to my hand, it seemed light, but on my face it did not offer enough hydration unless I used two pumps, which results in all-over shine. It leaves a residue on my face that becomes sticky as the day progresses, and might be worsening my blackheads. I cannot determine what effect it has on my acne as I've only used it a few times, but I can already see that this product is not for me, even now that my skin is far less dry. For someone with truly oily skin and with no dry patch issues, this might work wonders. On my skin however, it was not sufficient. I will exchange for either their Hydraphase Legere or the Toleriane version for normal to combo skin. I would rate this a 3/5 as it was just average for my skin, but I have taken off an extra lippie for the price.
Oh, and the squalane in here is absolutely fine, but it CAN potentially be a breakout factor for some. Just because a product contains oils, doesn't mean it will automatically leave your skin oily or break you out.

Overall Rating: 2/5
Price: 4/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

on 1/17/2010 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I am surprised to read bad reviews about this item, but understand not all products are for everyone. This is the only moisterizer that doesn't cause me to break out. I really helps keeping my skin stable, in pretty good condition. I wish there was a "richer" version of this one -- with the same ingredients! I have combo, sensitive, acne and redness prone skin... this is the best moisterizer I have found so far.

on 11/12/2009 9:40:00 PM

Very light and moisturizers very well. Skin feels nice.

on 11/10/2009 2:39:00 PM

Be really careful with this - it states non-oily on the box and only has about 7 ingredients - as an OSNW thought it would be good as need to find a replacement for Prescriptives Super Flight Cream now that prescriptives are going out of business (boo hoo!) Anyway, got totally lulled into a false sense of security with the minimal amount of ingredients and didn't do my usual patch testing on my forehead first, then cheeks before I put it anywhere on my nose or chin - big mistake! Chin and nose broke out terribly - lots of deep painful cysts on chin in particular - totally upset. Then had a closer look at the ingredients - squalene is an oil!!!! Be very careful - non-oily does not mean oil-free.

on 7/8/2009 8:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I am not currently using this product but I have for many years used LaRochePosay products. They are great for sensitive skin and it never gave me breakouts or milia, I am thinking of going back to it. However, it's not a green product and I am trying to go the natural route. I enjoyed how it was lightly moisturizing. It's fairly pricey as a bottle cost 23$ CAD +tx. I think La Roche Posay is also owned by Loreal but it's their "dermatology clinic friendly" line. Hence the good quality.

on 7/8/2009 3:47:00 PM

I got this as a gift so I don't know how much this goes for. I have the worse type of skin ever! It's dry, combo, acne prone, sensitive skin with mild redness... almost anything I use ends up clogging my pore/breaking me out! This stuff isn't bad! It really does "sooth" my intolerable skin and leaves it nice and matte. No stickiness either. I can feel the cooling sensation after applying and it feels wonderful! Works great under make up and makes the redness in my face lessen. Great stuff!!