April 18, 2014 | 2108 users online

Treatments (Eye) - Avene - Soothing Eye Contour Cream

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2008 9:17:00 AM More reviews by barbiH

As many others have said, this is an excellent, soothing eye cream for sensitives (or normal skin). It's a very simple formulation that hydrates even the finickiest skin. I recently developed some eye dermatitis and this restored my flaky eye area very quickly. Thumbs up from me. ♥
INGREDIENTS: Water (aqua), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Cyclomethicone, Glycerin, Sucrose Stearate, PEG 12, Sucrose Distearate, Triethanolamine, Batyl Alcohol, Bisabolol, Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Carbomer, Dextran Sulfate, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Glucoside continued >>

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2008 6:08:00 PM More reviews by mmmmary

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the best product I never knew I needed:-) Over the years I have become something of a skin care junkie in the quest to find the perfect products for my finicky skin. I now have a cabinetful of La Roche-Posay, Skinceuticals, MyChelle, Topix, Dermalogica, Clarins and Avene products which I regularly use (and that's just for my face). I had thought about trying this product before but was in no big hurry since I could pick it up at any time at CVS, and Skinceuticals eye cream was working really well for me. When CVS put all their Avene on clearance, prior to discontinuing the line, I figured I'd give it a go. I actually use this in addition to the Skinceuticals. That goes all around the orbital area, this goes on my eyelid, an area that I have never actually moisturized before. It really helps! They never felt dry to me before but I did have some redness which tended to make me look tired. Now I look wide awake and refreshed and it absolutely never stings my eyes, even though in putting it on so close to my eyes, I often miss and get some IN my eyes. Highly recommended. EDIT 9/08: I stopped using this. Like the Avene spray, it eventually caused weird breakouts in my eyebrows:-(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2008 9:23:00 AM More reviews by CharismaSL

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a simple eye cream which is really gentle and moisturizing. I have used all sorts of eye creams and I always tend to react negatively to them (i.e. sensitivity around the eye area, redness, little pimples around the eye area, etc). Upon using this, it really calmed my irritated skin, and feels good as it dries quickly and dosn't feel sticky. It is expensive considering the amount you get (10ml) in a tube. It goes for $22 CDN which I think is too pricey, but I will continue to purchase it because this is the only eye cream that I can wear without irritating my skin around my eyes AND the other eye creams out there in the market are super more expensive. Wish Avene either bumped the volume to at least 15 or 20 ml or at least brought down the price of this product. Oh well. Regardless, this to me is the HG of eye creams!!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/28/2008 2:17:00 AM More reviews by sypat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a nice light moisturizer for the eye area. However that's the problem, it's not moisturizing enough for me. I live in Arizona which is HOT and dry all year round (except maybe monsoon season which doesn't really last long). Overall I think it isn't a bad product, it just didn't work for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2008 11:54:00 AM More reviews by only_ricco

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a simple eye cream, it doesn't do any magic, but it's gentle and moisturizing. I used to like more "strong" stuff that contains some active ingredient such as Retinol, but the skin around my eyes got very sensitive recently so I turned to this Avene eye cream. It calmed my irritated skin, and is moisturizing enough even for winter.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2007 12:04:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

(cross-posting: it's called "Soothing Eye Contour Cream - Sensitive Eyes" on the packaging)

UPDATE (06/2010): still my favourite eye cream; tried others in between, with greater or lesser success, but this is still the best on me. I may try and use other eye creams along the way, but there is always a tube of this living in the bathroom. Tip: if you're looking for a "greener" petrochemical-less equivalent, try Derma E Pycnogenol and Hyaluronic Acid Eye Cream (tube; NB, not the Pycnowotsit & Gren Tea eye gel).

Used some years ago, now back to this after adventures with pricier and fancier things. I've had it with fancy eye-creams. Though I do admit that the skin around my eyes is sufficiently structurally different from elsewhere on face to merit different and extra treatment: visibly finer skin, sits closer to the bone, clearly nearly no fat under it, and negligible self-moisturization by oil production. So I've been experimenting with eye-creams (see notebook), and rediscovered this beauty.

Avene's Soothing is simple, and it works. I use moisturiser first, all over face, including around eyes - any good moisturiser should be able to do this and NOT hurt/irritate/break you out... Then the Avene dotted on around the eye socket then patted in, including under the eye and on the eyelid. Night - depending on how skin's feeling, either this or heavier cream (Paula's Choice Hydrating Treatment Cream) dotted on and left to absorb.

Nice texture - cream/gel. Sinks in well. Skin immediately feels soothed, soft, and smooth. Some comparisons: resembles Boots Fragrance Free Eye Cream and Boots Expert Sensitive Eye Cream; but the Avene is creamier, denser, longer-moisturising, and longer-lasting. A little like Clinique Moisture Surge Extra Refreshing Eye Gel in texture, but, again, more moisturing and skin stays moist for longer (the Surge, and indeed the functionally-indistinguishable face-version, work best as a thin mask). I found it as moisturising as AAE, and its equal as a base for eye make-up.

There is some superficial smoothing of faint lines, but only - as with any eye cream that's doing its job - in that they're "filled in" with it and the skin slightly "plumped" with water (I guess if skin cells are moister, they're closer together, less gap between them?).* At least this cream doesn't claim to do anything it doesn't:

"calms skin irritation, tightness, and redness [...] decongesting hypersensitive eyelids [...] moisturizing [...] this soothing care promotes hydration and protection of the eye contour area and eyelids." (from back of box)

No A.M. undereye puffiness. I don't usually have bags or dark circles and upper-eye sag hasn't set in yet, so can't comment on them. I find bags & circles go with teabags and sleep. So far. Touch wood.

I'd used the Avene range previously, when skin was really reactive. Lovely stuff all round. Also a nice spa to visit, if you're ever in the area...

Costs EUR 11.00 / GBP 8.00 / USD 18.50 at drugstore.com. No animal testing, targeted at sensitive skin, fragrance-free. Tested on people - and rigorously; for more info, check out Avene's website and those of the parent company, Pierre Fabre. They're also responsible for Elancyl, Galenic, and Klorane.

INGREDIENTS: Avene thermal spring water - mineral oil - caprylic/capric triglyceride - cyclomethicone - glycerin - sucrose stearate - peg-12 - sucrose distearate - triethanolamine - butyl alcohol - bisabolol - caprylic/capric glycerides - carbomer - dextran sulfate - disodium edta - sodium hyaluronate - tocopheryl glucoside.

* On the old wrinkles - based on The Science, I'm rather skeptical about what creams can actually do, bar chemical and physical intervention (starting with retinal as the next step, I guess). Right now, I'm sticking with cosmetic and preventative actions. Cosmetic: spackling to fill in lines (aka concealer and/or thin layer of silicone-based primer on top). Preventative: as the route with more concrete research behind it: limit sun exposure, sunscreen, hats, sunglasses; good diet and lots of water; topical antioxidants as there's some results there, though the jury's still out. I'm not at all convinced by miracle products with a minuscule %age of something exotic, exclusive, and expensive. Nor seduced by the old "natural +/- organic = good" act, or the "scientific = bad" one, politically dangerous when backed up by the simplistic compounded fallacies "natural + non-/anti-scientific = anti-phallogocentric and pro-feminist." And very wary of good clever writing (if you're lucky!) and pretty presentation. Meanwhile, I'm delighted that all my lines are "happy" ones, "bien dans sa peau," that only look the better when engaging in happiness. Must beware the excessive laughter resulting in redness, breathlessness, and falling down. All about measure and balance. Literally, sometimes.

continued >>

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2007 12:00:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Avene's Soothing is simple, and it works. I use moisturiser first, all over face, including around eyes - any good moisturiser should be able to do this and NOT hurt/irritate/break you out... Then the Avene, dotted on around the eye socket then patted in, including under the eye and on the eyelid. Night - depending on how skin's feeling, either this or heavier cream (Paula's Choice Hydrating Treatment Cream) dotted on and left to absorb.

INGREDIENTS: Avene thermal spring water - mineral oil - caprylic/capric triglyceride - cyclomethicone - glycerin - sucrose stearate - peg-12 - sucrose distearate - triethanolamine - batyl alcohol - bisabolol - caprylic/capric glycerides - carbomer - dextran sulfate - disodium edta - sodium hyaluronate - tocopheryl glucoside.

continued >>

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2007 4:57:00 PM More reviews by ClaireLily

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

About me: 25 years old, contact wearer, dry and very sensitive skin around the eyes, occasionally dermatitis on eye lids. I'm looking for an eye cream that brings moisture, and nothing else. I do not suffer from puffy eyes or dark circles so I cannot evaluate the performance of this product on those counts. I would give this 3.5 lippies if I could. PROS: 1- overall gentle and truly soothing to the eye area. Dermatitis disappears after a couple of applications. 2- does not cause milia. 3- practical tube packaging. CONS: 1- irritating to the eye if a little bit gets in. Makes my eyes burn, water and turn red. 2- is not moisturizing enough. Makeup cakes up and looks bad, accentuating dry eye area. 3- a bit pricey for what it does. Tube is very small for the price. CONCLUSION: I did finish the tube though and, although it is very small, that does say something about the product after countless tubes and jars finished in the trash because the cream was irritating, fragranced, not moisturizing enough, causing milia, etc. I would only repurchase this eye cream when suffering from irritation on my eyelids but I will be looking for a more moisturizing eye cream.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2007 3:30:00 AM More reviews by princess194

this product is awesome if u get dermatitis on your eyelids like i do (whenever i get allergic reactions.) it helps to soothe the itchiness, calm down the redness and mositurise the area...u dont need to apply to much i use about a peasize amount for both eyelids but then agian it depends on how much u wanna use and what works best for u....obviously the product is not going to reduce fine line and dark circles lol cuz its not intended to do either of those things thats why its called a soothing eye contour creme!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/2/2007 4:46:00 AM More reviews by pitsipopaki

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this cream for years; I would recommend it to anyone with puffy eyes and lens users because this stuff is actually lightweight and does not irritate eyes. It comes in a really small tube and you might think it's a rip-off for the money you pay but it actually lasts for a looooong! time.. I only use a little bit for each eye and I noticed it works better if you apply it with wet hands,to encourage absorption.