The Body Shop Vitamin C Skin Boost

3.5

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Cyclopentasiloxane (Skin-Conditioning Agent/Emollient), Dimethicone (Skin Conditioning Agent), Cyclohexasiloxane (Conditioning Agent), Dimethicone Crosspolymer (Emulsion Stabilizer), Synthetic Fluorphlogopite (Viscosity Increasing Agent), HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer (Anticaking Agent), Fragrance (Fragrance), Ascorbic Acid (Antioxidant), Bertholletia Excelsa Seed Oil (Emollient), Tocopherol (Antioxidant), Glycerin (Humectant), Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate (Skin-Conditioning Agent/Emollient), Polysilicone-11 (Film Former), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Silica (Absorbent), Benzyl Benzoate (Solvent), Myrciaria Dubia Fruit Extract (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Water (Solvent/Diluent), Hexyl Cinnamal (Fragrance Ingredient), Citronellol (Fragrance Ingredient), Mica (Opacifier), Titanium Dioxide (Colour).

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is a review of the newly packaged Vitamin C Skin Boost, which comes in a slender cylinder plastic bottle with a pump. This product retails for $26 CND, which is slightly on the pricey end for me.

However, I bought this as a Vit C set which included the full sized Skin Boost and Facial Radiance Powder along with a trail sized Microdermabrasion (value of $58, sold for $48). I bought it during a sale for 50% off, another 10% off for being a card holder, and an additional $5 off coupon on top... for a grand total of $18 with tax for the entire set. A complete steal!

I absolutely love the packaging, which is light, sanitary and simple to use. A single pump is more than enough for your entire face.

I agree with other reviewers that the scent is a little bit strong and could've been toned down. It's not unpleasant and smells mostly like orange juice, but I prefer my skin care to have as little perfume as possible.

The product itself is a bit of a milky, slightly oily kind of gel with tiny white particles in it. If there were any reflective (or shimmery) particles, it was not very noticeable to me. It applies easily to the face and finishes to be mostly matte with a slight dewyness. On my dry-combination skin it does not feel oily or shiny at all, but rather leaves my skin feeling very soft and smooth. To me, this product feels similar to Bare Escentuals' Prime Time primer or smashbox's Photo Finish Foundation Primer.

Do beware that some people with oily skin have commented that these products do feel oily to them. I did not have this problem but I did notice a couple of bumps after using the Skin Boost for 2 weeks, though they did not develop into pimples or acne. I stopped using both the Facial Radiance Powder and Skin Boost immediately, and the bumps went away. I would recommend not to use this daily if you're prone to acne or break outs.

As far as "radiance" goes, I'm not really sure what to expect and I wasn't really aware of any noticeable changes, but then again my skin isn't exactly "dull" so I cannot give a fair review in this catagory.

My biggest issue with the product is that it cannot replace my usual foundation primer. Although it does help foundation apply more smoothly, it doesn't help it last like a primer product does. Therefore, to me it's just one extra step in my very long list of things to do before I can leave the house, and it's a step that I'm willing to skip.

So in summary:

To me, it's not a must have product and doesn't do enough for me to add it to my regular routine.

Pros:

Product is a great price when on sale.
Great packaging, convenient and dispenses a good amount.
Makes skin smooth and soft, easier to apply foundation.

Cons:

Strong orange smell, though it is not unpleasant.
May cause white heads or other bumps for some people.
Does not help make up last longer as primers do.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Makes skin look brighter, for sure. I am convinced this is due to it containing very tiny glitter particles, I don't care what the sales lady says, like all "brightening" skin products contain glitter, those tricksters.. It makes skin look and feel a bit smoother. I have used it mixed with MUFE's face and body foundation, it works pretty well this way. It smells very orangey, a smell I normally love, but even this is a bit strong for me. I'm not really sensative to fragrance, either. It has done nothing positive or negative to change the overall appearance of my skin. Fun to try but overall I'd not buy again.

This product did not brighten my skin , but broke me out with white heads. It is due to its formulation rich with silicone, which gives the smooth finish to my skin when it is applied.

I initially bought this to use as a primer but didnt had the chance yet to use it as primer because of illness. I have used it as a gel over my daily moisturizer tho because I was curious about the product and I must say that its great to use as gel without make up too. I've used it day and night and I'm aware of the cones in it but it didnt clogged anything so I think its quite ok. So I bought the product in the new packaging, just so u know.
Its a clear gel with little particals in it, I think its for light reflecting purposes? Anyway, u dont see it shimmer, in fact I dont see any of it at all which is a good thing for me cause I like it matte. It goes on supersmooth (thats the cones probably) and it really evens out my skintone (love it) and makes it really brighter (which I didnt expected, a plus for me too).
It makes my face very very soft and overall I think its just a great product for me. I brightens my complexion and makes it super soft, so yeah, pretty great!
Only downside for me was the smell, its pretty overwhelming the first time, but now I think I got used to it because I dont smell it anymore.
So for ppl sensitive for strong smelling products, be warned!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

fragrance before vit c ... hmm.. what are they thinking, seriously?

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

I'm reviewing the old Skin Boost.

I"m actually not sure what Skin Boost does. It's not makeup primer, because it doesn't really help my makeup come on any easier, or doesn't help it stay longer. It's not moisturizer because flaky parts stay flaky after application. It's obviously not cleanser either.

It's a strange, strange gel that turns your skin velvety after application. Wait for it to sink into your skin, and it won't look any different, just... brighter, if that makes sense.

In Asia, "brighter" generally means "whiter," which is what I'm trying to avoid in the first place. My old facial cleanser helped me get rid of acne scars in up to two weeks, but it also made my face noticeably lighter, which pretty much ruined the tan I spent my summer working on.

My skin tends to get a little dull and grayish during long days, and since I started using Skin Boost, I haven't had that problem anymore. I also noticed that two months into using it (and not changing anything in my routine), I've gotten much less hormone pimples than I normally would, an added bonus.

It comes in a great glass pump bottle, and one of those bottles lasted me three months. I'd use it once a day, after toner, under makeup.

Edit: Two lippies off for two reasons:

1. I got a patch of dry skin under my left eye, similar to the one I suddenly got from Maybelline concealer. When I stopped using this, the patch disappeared altogether.

2. It didn't prevent my pimples after all.

I love how it makes my skin feel so smooth and dewy when I put it on. I definitely feel it moisturizes my face! After a week of using it, my friends noticed how much it boosted my skin and made it seem more healthy. However, after months of using it, I'm not entirely sure if it's still giving the same effect of improving my skin more or as effective. My skin didn't get worse though. It didn't clog my pores or made me break out or anything. I think it actually made my skin type better. Before I was pretty dry, but after using this I noticed that my skin became more of a normal skin type.

I also find the smell really good and energizing, which is a definite plus!

What I don't like about this product is the packaging! It's a pump but it doesn't have a cap for it or a box that comes along with the product. This means that I can't bring it along with me whenever I travel for fear of the pump squirting inside my bag.

I'd definitely buy this product again. I'd still buy it because of the texture because it moisturizes my skin and it works great as a primer.

UPDATE: they repackaged and reformulated the product! i haven't tried the new version yet. but the packaging is better! it got a bit more expensive though.

Did not notice any difference on my skin,but worked wonders on my sisters skin.Ive got combination skin with blemishes.My sister has sensitive skin.Did boost her skin =)

Feels silky and amazing on the skin. Agree with the other reviewer who said it was just like Smashbox makeup primer but a lot cheaper!! They are discontinuing this :( so I bought three bottles and paid just 5.00 each!! Because I am prone to breakouts I wouldn't use this every day but enjoy using it a few times a week. Feels great on the skin and works excellent under makeup.

EDIT: They discontinued the old formulation and replaced with a new formulation which is not nearly as good as the original formula! The old formula was clear and you could feel that it was far more potent a vitamin c product. The new one is a yellowish color, not as thick and simply not as good a product. I won't be buying this again. I'm glad I stocked up on the old formula because I just ran out recently but now I'll have to find a better C serum/primer. I dropped a few lippies as the new formula stinks in comparison.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

did nothing special for my skin other than enlarging the pores on my nose :(