Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner

4.2

Not tested on animals

Aqua, cetyl alcohol, alcohol denat. (38b, lavender*), aloe barbadensis leaf juice*, triticum vulgare (wheat) germ oil, milk protein, glycerin, myroxylon pereirae (balsam Peru) oil, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil*, brassica campestris/aleurites fordi copolymer, citrus grandis (grapefruit) extract, salvia officinalis (sage) oil*, glycoprotein, tocopheryl acetate, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) water, equisetum hyemale (horsetail) extract, tussilago farfara (coltsfoot) leaf extract, urtica dioica (nettle) extract, ascorbic acid, glycine soja (soybean) oil, daucus carota sativa (carrot) root extract, beta-carotene. *Organic

on 4/21/2010 5:22:00 AM

This GPB conditioner does moisturize my hair nicely. I'll give 5 lippies for that.
But what bothers me about this product is the smell. This conditioner smells
really really bad. Grandma's perfume bad. I wish Aubrey makes hair care
products with less offensive smell, or unscented even.

This is a great hair conditioner with all natural ingredients. It makes my hair easily manageable, and shiny. I am very happy with it.

on 2/8/2010 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

A tad expensive, but a great product for me. It has almost no nasties, so I feel good using it. I can't quite define the smell, almost like a mixture of carrot and lavender, I guess, which I happen to like. It makes my hair really smooth and moisturized, and makes combing it in the morning a breeze. I would recommend one try it if one is trying to go on the whole "All Natural" thing.

on 1/31/2010 10:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

UPDATE [08/2011]: fine on skin: no reactions. Back to using this as a regular arich moisturising protein conditioner.

UPDATE [02/2011]: can't use this any more: skin more sensitive with the return of eczema. Issues with aloe vera and fragrance (the Peru balsam oil would be a likely culprit).

Lovely stuff on normal, untreated hair. Fine, thick, slightly wavy in parts, long (to bra-clasp), more or less normal but with tendencies to dry ends and greasy roots. Originally bought as an experimental cheaper replacement for John Masters Organics citrus & neroli detangler. On my hair and scalp, the GPB is better and for 1/3 of the price (GPB: CAD 13/325 ml vs. JMO: CAD 24/200 ml).

Much of the reason this stuff works well is the coconut fatty acid and aloe vera base; other useful ingredients would include the horsetail & coltsfoot (glossing, acting a little like silicones would), and nettle extracts; and the protein complex: milk protein & glycoprotein (=protein containing polysaccharide chain) from oyster shells (i.e. this isn't vegan), and a couple of amino acids.

The bottle does need to be shookled a bit before use, and--as others below have remarked--it isn't a practical shape, nor as squeezy as it ought to be: this stuff is thick. And the GPB does need to be rinsed out very thoroughly, and careful only to apply from about the ears downwards as this stuff is rich, and can leave hair greasy. Needs to be rinsed out thoroughly, and I find a cool final rinse helps too. Hair feels heavy, but dries light, shiny, smooth, bouncy, and--like in the Pantene ads--feeling healthy.

Best of all: glorious smell. It's the balsam. As another reviewer pointed out, it does indeed smell like Revlon Flex from the 1980s. Which I loved (Flex, that is, less keen on the 80s as a whole, bar goth, indie, and electro music. OK, some parts of the 80s were good things to live through.) Not so keen on the scents of the other AO hair stuff, though it gets good reviews here, especially from people with drier, curlier hair.

Sadly, while the shampoo is OK and has the same scent, it's not as good. It's still one of the better "green" shampoos I've used, but it disappears fast when double-washing each time, doesn't actually clean the hair and scalp very well, and leaves hair somewhat tangled: a combination resulting in more hair than usual down the drain. Prefer Avalon Organics grapeseed & olive, Earth Science unscented, Get Lathered Shampoo That Rocks unscented solid (Etsy).

Cruelty-free company, many well-formulated products (such as this conditioner), though some weird/funky scents and some odd ideas about things. But I'm buying a conditioner that works, not an organized religion... Costs around CAD 13.00 for a 325 ml bottle, the other AO conditioners being around the same price, except for the much more expensive rose one for treated/abused hair.

INGREDIENTS: aqua, cetyl alcohol (coconut fatty alcohol), alcohol denat (38b, lavender*), aloe barbadensis leaf juice*, triticum vulgare (wheat) germ oil, lactalbumin (milk protein), glycerin, equisetum hyemale (horsetail extract) extract, tussilago farfara (coltsfoot) leaf extract, urtica dioica (nettle) leaf extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil*, myroxylon balsamum (balsam), citrus grandis (grapefruit) seed extract, brassica campestris (turnip) oil, aleurites fordi (chinawood) oil, salvia officinalis (sage) leaf oil*, glycoprotein, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), glycine soja (soybean) oil*, daucus carota sativa (carrot) root extract, beta-carotene, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) leaf extract, cysteine, methionine, ascorbic acid (vitamin C).
*=organic; the soybeans are organic and non-GMO. continued >>

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

My biggest complaint is that it should really be an inverted bottle, because this conditioner is thick and it's hard to get the last bit out.

But other than that, I love it. I don't use it regularly, just every few months as a protein treatment - strengthens my hair and perks my curls up if they start to droop (which they do when they need protein). Otherwise, I'm pretty protein sensitive.

It works well as a treatment, smells not that wonderful, and the price is great because I need a new bottle like once a year.

on 12/17/2009 12:47:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I love Love this stuff ! It smells divine and conditions naturally , without drying silicones. Works great on my waist length hair.

on 11/5/2009 2:22:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Good good stuff! I really like this conditioner, for one its natural and I love that and two my hair loves it! The scent is okay Im not a big fan but what it does to my hair is amazing so I don't complain.

I have very fine kinda damaged hair now, and this product untangles, shines and makes my hair appear very healthy. I want to recommend not to use this everyday as protein buildup in the hair is very common when using products with protein so maybe alternate every few days so you don't get that crunchy hair effect. I love this conditioner :)

on 9/28/2009 3:59:00 AM

I've been using this conditioner along with the balancing shampoo for a week now, so far my hair looks good, I haven't had any kind of buildup or protein overload or such as of yet. The conditioner is very creamy and moisturize my hair very well, I didn't really know that this conditioner has protein when I bought it, I bought this because it's mostly all natural ingredients so it's better than most commercial conditioner/shampoo out there. My hair is pretty shiny after using this conditioner/shampoo, though it may tend to be heavy if I use too much, so put the conditioner mostly on the ends and not too much near my scalp. I intend to look for other aubreys shampoo/conditioner to alternate with this one, because I don't think it's good to use the same shampoo/conditioner every single day, it's better to alternate.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I can't get over how much I love this stuff. I thought I'd be using M.O.P.'s C-System Hydrating conditioner until my damaged hair had all grown out. I liked the M.O.P. conditioner, but it really tended to weigh down my fine, thick, wavy hair.

But Aubrey's GPB is amazing. My hair is smooth with a very healthy texture but still has plenty of volume.

I'd been hesitant to try this product since I'm not wild about the scent, but Whole Foods has an exclusive deal with Aubrey and they have two alternative scents, which I prefer. I went with the Lavender Ylang-Ylang, which has a soft floral fragrance.

This may be my new HG. We'll see.

Update: Immediately after washing and drying my hair, this stuff seemed really great. But in the morning (I wash my hair at night) my hair was flat and kind of dull. I think it might be a protein overload for my fine hair. Oh, well. Back to M.O.P. once again. I'm removing two lippies, because I find this stuff to be very average.

on 8/9/2009 12:22:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

For a very light protein conditioner GPB is great. Before I wash my curly 3b/c hair I use the GPB with heat for better absorbtion. It strengthens your hair very gently and also moisturizes at the same time. If you need a stronger protein look elsewhere. I am a huge fan of Aubrey Organics.