April 18, 2014 | 1734 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2011 4:12:00 PM More reviews by garstrieper

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is not my favorite facial bar soap. I find this to be drying, and it stings my eyes. I would only use this soap to remove makeup, and, since it stings my eyes, I will only be using it in the shower as a general body soap.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2011 3:01:00 AM More reviews by gandiko

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this cleanser. I have been on Retin A for ages now, and used to use the harshest acne-fighting products made for oily skin and everything just went from bad to worse. I wish I had found this product sooner, it would have saved me some real grief.

Pros:
+ It gets rid of redness on my face.

+ It cleanses but doesn't over-dry your skin. I still use moisturiser but my face never feels tight after I wash it with this. It also has never irritated my skin even when I spend a lot of time massaging this on my face - and I have ridiculously sensitive skin.

+ If you invest in a good travel soap dish and store it properly when not using (seriously guys, if the bathroom gets steamy from someone bathing, of course the soap is going to melt - it doesn't matter whether you are using it or not) it lasts for a very long time. I use it twice daily and have had my bar for 6 months now and it's maybe a bit less than halfway gone.

+ Does not irritate/aggravate/infect blemishes or pimples. I use a retinoid, but I swear that this alone also helps blemishes clear up faster and with less scarring.

+ This IS scented, but I haven't had a problem with whatever it is they used (and my skin reacts to everything)

Cons:
-DON'T get this anywhere near your eyes. I cannot get my head around how something so gentle on the skin can be so damaging to the eyes, but I have never ever felt anything so painful in my eyes before (and I've had laser for a detached retina). I thought that getting some super drying Neutrogena gel in my eye was bad, but then I got a tiny drop of soapy Cetaphil water in my left eye and spent the next half hour standing under my shower whimpering in pain. I couldn't open my eye for the next 45 or so minutes. I was shocked at how bad my eye looked (ALL of it was red, it wasn't just irritated veins) and my mother who is an ophthalmologist had me apply lubricating drops every 15 minutes the rest of the night. I went to bed and the next morning my eyelid was swollen. It went down by midday, but honestly don't ever get Cetaphil anywhere near your eyes. Ever.

Wal-Mart sells a pack of 3 bars so I've already repurchased and will continue to do so as long as they never tamper with the formula!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/27/2011 2:16:00 AM More reviews by mich52331

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Horrible product for my skin. The fragrance is so strong. Something in this made my skin and eyes sting. It left a noticeable film on my face, dried me out and clogged my pores. Not gentle at all! Ugh.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2011 7:51:00 PM More reviews by sunshine824

I gave this 4 lippies but wouldn't repurchase because I replaced it with Dove Beauty Bar which works the same for me but costs MUCH less. ;-)

I have(or had) very acne prone, combination skin- oily & dry, waxy in appearance with fine lines all over from acne treatments, uneven skin tone, and scars from old pimples. After wrestling with my skin for the past 10-15 years, I gave up and decided that if I was going to break out and look horrible anyway then at least I could keep it moisturized. I started by alternating the Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar with the Cetaphil Liquid Cleanser to clean, then in the a.m. I would use the Cetaphil Lotion(if I needed it) and in the p.m. I would use the Cetaphil Cream.

After a couple of weeks my skin cleared up!!! I only get 1 or 2 pimples at that time of the month but they go away quickly and don't leave scars. My skin tone has evened out beautifully, and the old pimple scars are fading so that I only have like 1 or 2 on each cheek and a couple on my forehead. My skin just looks healthy and even has a glow when I use the cream at night and only wipe with a wet washcloth in the a.m.

My skin is still great and clear using the Dove soap instead of the Cetaphil. I would have stuck with the Cetaphil if the price was lower. But $6 for a bar of soap is ridiculous when it has the same main ingredients as Dove(which I bought in a pack of 8 for $6!).

Will not repurchase, but give it a try! I found that many liquid cleansers seemed to dry out my skin and leave a film on it much worse than this bar, the Dove bar, or the Cetaphil liquid cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2011 1:11:00 PM More reviews by TaviR

I finally bought this product after years of struggling with acne. It was mostly brought on by stress around my mouth and chin (genetic, from my father actually). I bought this soap less that a week ago and i already see a vast improvement! my acne is clearing up much faster than usual and there are no new spots appearing yet! i love that it can be used over the entire body, that is very handy for when you are in a rush and dont have time to use a bunch of different products. i dont remember what the price was... it was under $10 though i think, which is awesome for someone who has been buying those $20 medicated acne products (which dont work)
All in all, this has to be the absolute best product i have ever bought. It saved my skin!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2011 3:12:00 PM More reviews by mcgrath1375

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this for 2 years, morning and night. My Derm recommended it when I started using Accutane. In any case, it stuck with me, and it is so inexpensive, the bar lasts forever. You have to be sure to use a good moisturizer with it, or it could be drying. I feel like I still use a bar soap on my face, I am going back to basics or something. It appears as though a lot of other people still rely on this as well for cleansing.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2011 4:24:00 PM More reviews by turkeyvulture

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

During a financial crisis I switched from the liquid/pump Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser to this bar because it was dramatically less expensive. For an economical way to wash my face, it was a good investment! The bar lasted me about five months, which is more than twice what a large bottle of the liquid facial cleanser lasts. Its cleansing power seemed about equal to the more expensive liquid cleanser, but it dried my skin just a bit more. Not a big deal -- I just used extra moisturizer. But beware, you may find the bar slightly irritating if you have ultra-sensitive skin!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2011 1:05:00 AM More reviews by Mommy05

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a great soap for sensitive, oily or dry skin. I just started using this soap over the winter since my skin was becoming extremely dry. Within a day of using it, my skin was the softest it's ever been and had a great glow. I also have an oily T-zone and it did not cause my skin to become oily like other cleansers I've used in the past. I've always used either a cleanser (Oil of Olay), which would leave my face greasy sometimes, or whatever body soap I had in the shower, which I don't recommend doing.This soap is on the expensive side, but it actually lasts a long time. I guess because I only use it on my face. I def. recommend this line to those with sensitive skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2011 3:29:00 AM More reviews by gorbe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I wanted a gentle, simple, NO FRILLS facial cleanser. I'm sick of harsh, drying, cleansers, some of them even break me out. I just want to wash my skin, and have it clean and ready for exfoliation/ moisturizing etc. This does the job! You can't get much less frilly than an unscented bar of soap! It leaves my skin feeling wonderfully clean, but not overscrubbed. And it's dirt cheap. The only downsides: it's a bar. So... it's kind of hard to keep clean/store. And it did sting my eyes. A lot. When I kind of rubbed it on them, so that was my bad (I was trying to remove eye makeup, it didn't really work and stung very bad so NEVERMIND). I will stick with EVOO for my mascara/eye makeup, and this for the rest. Love it, would definitely repurchase! (The one star off is for the burning sensation).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2011 9:29:00 PM More reviews by AlyssaJD

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

MUA, sooo disapointed with you. Seriously... worst cleanser i have EVER tried. It dosnt really cleanse, it clogs your pores like crazy, and it actually broke me out noticiably. It did make my face soft though, but thats what lotion is for? This would maybe be good for guys or girls who dont wear make-up?