Sally Hansen Mega Shine Top Coat

3.4

on 7/7/2012 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

THIS DRIES QUICKLY, BUT YOUR NAILS MAY LAST YOU 2 DAYS IF EVEN THAT!! SECHE VITE IS STILL THE BEST ONE IVE USED.

on 6/18/2012 9:52:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

It really is the best. I love shiny nails, who doesn't? It leaves your nails looking a million bucks. When combined with a nicer polish like OPI it does last pretty well. Also want to mention again, I love that shine. It has real diamond and platinum powders in it which is cool enough on it's own.

on 5/24/2012 7:15:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I had purchased this because I was in desperate need of a top coat since I had run out. The price I had paid was around $8-9 at duane reade, which is a little bit on the expensive side considering this is a drugstore products. ( the price varies fro different drug stores)
The application of this top coat is really smooth, and i like that it is not super thick. (however after a couple weeks did get slightly thicker) I also really like the wide flat brush, which makes application very nice. The finish of it was super glossy and dried within a minute just like the packaging said.
However, there are downsides. The first one is the bottle itself. I hate that the bottle is completely opaque, which means you can't see how much product is left in it. Another one, is that although it says it can last "up to 10 days", it does not. I personally, change up by nail polish quite a lot so this isn't a problem, however it might be for some people. It makes my nail polish peel after about 3-4 days. It also starts to wear away at the tip.

on 5/21/2012 3:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

While I like the shine quality and durability, I had problems with using this on top of certain polishes -- it changes the color. It turns my favorite pink polish a streaky purple. I can't figure out why it works well with some polishes and not others. So I am giving this mixed reviews.

on 5/8/2012 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I have been buying this for years. It gives a wet look to your polished nail and it makes the polish dry faster. I've never had any peeling issues. Any chipping I get is from the polish I use for color. Dense glitter polishes chip faster than creme or shimmer. I use OPI's Chip Skip followed by OPI's Start to Finish then 2 coats of color and then this as a topcoat. I just removed China Glaze's For Audrey after 8 days on my hands. My pedicures can last for more than a month but I usually get tired of the color before any wear shows. The only bad things have been mentioned before and are easily fixed. The formula can thicken over time and you have to tilt the bottle when it gets low. I can deal with this because the pros outway the cons. I love this stuff.

on 4/28/2012 11:26:00 PM

I am so sick and tired of polishes and top coats that are advertised to last up to 10 days. I'm returning this bottle as soon as I can. I prepped my nails with some alcohol to remove any oil. I put on a base coat and two coats of polish. I put on the Mega Shine. Less than two days later my nails were a mess and I had to remove everything. I do very little housework or washing dishes. I feel stupid for falling for the hype again. At $10.00 and change for a bottle it should have worked better. The other thing is the packaging and not being able to see the contents in the bottle. Sally Hansen I will not be screwed again!

on 4/28/2012 9:56:00 PM

I have a weird relationship with Mega Shine, I'm on my second bottle at the moment and will probably purchase this again because it does dry quickly, has a high shine finish and I don't get any shrinkage or streaking with this top coat. However, it does thicken up after a month or so of use and that's when it starts to cause my polish to peel off in sheets, so it requires a few drops of thinner every second or third use. I dislike the silver packaging because I can't see how much product is left in the bottle, but I remedy that by chipping the paint off - ugly but effective. The brush is also a bit too short for the bottle which means I have to tilt the bottle to get the last 1/5 of the product out. All in all this is a pretty good top coat as long as you peel the silver packaging off and maintain its consistency with thinner.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

EDIT: they have changed the formula so you have to put in on top of dry polish. It just doesn't work as well. Also, mine has gone very very gloopy and it's a fairly new bottle. Not impressed.

This is my HG topcoat, so I am very very surprised at the negative reviews! I always use this, base coat-polish-polish-topcoat and in the main, my polish will last ages. A lot of the time my nails start growing out and I remove it before it actually chips badly.
I find it applies, smoothly and smooths out any minor blips in the polish underneath. It dries super quickly to a high shine. This is great for me as I am impatient and busy so need something that is quick-drying, but find that the quick-dry polishes just peel off in one layer after a day on me, regardless of how I prepare the nail.
I don't like the bottle for two reasons - 1) you can't see how much product is left in the bottle; 2) the silver flakes off and gets into the polish meaning you can easily ruin your nails with tiny little flakes of silver *annoying*. But I like the brush and find it applies well. On some polishes I do find that the brush will pick up and smear the colour, but this seems to be particular to brands not to colours - worst one was my Illamasqua red (but I am disappointed with that for a whole host of reasons!).
I have scored this at 3 for price, as it varies so much in the UK. I have paid as little as 4 for this, and seen it at 8.95! Generally it seems to retail for about 6 which I don't mind paying as I use it every time I do my nails.

on 4/20/2012 10:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

This is the PERFECT example of why " you get what you pay for " when it comes to cheap items isn't always correct. When I have leftover novelty cash, I always buy a nice polish, and a top coat. I decided to go out on a whim and purchase this at CVS for basically eight bucks. Expensive, but at the same time, CVS kinda overprices eveything. I went home and put this on Pacific Blue from the Xtreme Wear Line, and a couple hours later doing dishes, basically, the whole thing chipped off, except little spots on the sides.. I was flabbergasted, and gave this to a.friend, and the same thing happened to her. I'm so suprised. Considering the fact that I paid ALMOST 10$$ ON THIS ONE TOPCOST that it would work like magic.. In desperate need of some topcoat that would actually not chip, I purchased Nutra Nail speed dry topcoat. I used it last week, and I still haven't seen anything but some wear at the tips. I paid 2.67 $$ for that. I also have Wet N Wild Wild.Shine Clear.Nail Protector, and that works like a charm, and that's under 2.00$.. Literally. Like I said earlier, sometimes cheaper things work better than expensive junk, and that's why I don't say you get what you pay for. :)

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Keeps my polish on but streaks it horribly when applying. No point in putting this over nail art because it ends up looking like a mess at the end of it. Luckily I bought it for next to nothing at a sale.