August 28, 2014 | 1775 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Mega Shine Top Coat

rated 1 of 5 on 4/28/2012 11:26:00 PM More reviews by chimama

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am so sick and tired of polishes and top coats that are advertised to last up to 10 days. I'm returning this bottle as soon as I can. I prepped my nails with some alcohol to remove any oil. I put on a base coat and two coats of polish. I put on the Mega Shine. Less than two days later my nails were a mess and I had to remove everything. I do very little housework or washing dishes. I feel stupid for falling for the hype again. At $10.00 and change for a bottle it should have worked better. The other thing is the packaging and not being able to see the contents in the bottle. Sally Hansen I will not be screwed again!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/28/2012 9:56:00 PM More reviews by demmer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have a weird relationship with Mega Shine, I'm on my second bottle at the moment and will probably purchase this again because it does dry quickly, has a high shine finish and I don't get any shrinkage or streaking with this top coat. However, it does thicken up after a month or so of use and that's when it starts to cause my polish to peel off in sheets, so it requires a few drops of thinner every second or third use. I dislike the silver packaging because I can't see how much product is left in the bottle, but I remedy that by chipping the paint off - ugly but effective. The brush is also a bit too short for the bottle which means I have to tilt the bottle to get the last 1/5 of the product out. All in all this is a pretty good top coat as long as you peel the silver packaging off and maintain its consistency with thinner.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2012 2:06:00 AM More reviews by JasmineJolene

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

EDIT: they have changed the formula so you have to put in on top of dry polish. It just doesn't work as well. Also, mine has gone very very gloopy and it's a fairly new bottle. Not impressed.

This is my HG topcoat, so I am very very surprised at the negative reviews! I always use this, base coat-polish-polish-topcoat and in the main, my polish will last ages. A lot of the time my nails start growing out and I remove it before it actually chips badly.
I find it applies, smoothly and smooths out any minor blips in the polish underneath. It dries super quickly to a high shine. This is great for me as I am impatient and busy so need something that is quick-drying, but find that the quick-dry polishes just peel off in one layer after a day on me, regardless of how I prepare the nail.
I don't like the bottle for two reasons - 1) you can't see how much product is left in the bottle; 2) the silver flakes off and gets into the polish meaning you can easily ruin your nails with tiny little flakes of silver *annoying*. But I like the brush and find it applies well. On some polishes I do find that the brush will pick up and smear the colour, but this seems to be particular to brands not to colours - worst one was my Illamasqua red (but I am disappointed with that for a whole host of reasons!).
I have scored this at 3 for price, as it varies so much in the UK. I have paid as little as 4 for this, and seen it at 8.95! Generally it seems to retail for about 6 which I don't mind paying as I use it every time I do my nails.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/20/2012 10:14:00 PM More reviews by ThisGirlxD14

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the PERFECT example of why " you get what you pay for " when it comes to cheap items isn't always correct. When I have leftover novelty cash, I always buy a nice polish, and a top coat. I decided to go out on a whim and purchase this at CVS for basically eight bucks. Expensive, but at the same time, CVS kinda overprices eveything. I went home and put this on Pacific Blue from the Xtreme Wear Line, and a couple hours later doing dishes, basically, the whole thing chipped off, except little spots on the sides.. I was flabbergasted, and gave this to a.friend, and the same thing happened to her. I'm so suprised. Considering the fact that I paid ALMOST 10$$ ON THIS ONE TOPCOST that it would work like magic.. In desperate need of some topcoat that would actually not chip, I purchased Nutra Nail speed dry topcoat. I used it last week, and I still haven't seen anything but some wear at the tips. I paid 2.67 $$ for that. I also have Wet N Wild Wild.Shine Clear.Nail Protector, and that works like a charm, and that's under 2.00$.. Literally. Like I said earlier, sometimes cheaper things work better than expensive junk, and that's why I don't say you get what you pay for. :)

rated 1 of 5 on 3/8/2012 5:24:00 AM More reviews by tightenedribbon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Keeps my polish on but streaks it horribly when applying. No point in putting this over nail art because it ends up looking like a mess at the end of it. Luckily I bought it for next to nothing at a sale.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/1/2012 7:38:00 PM More reviews by missllamalauren

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Hate this top coat. It makes my hard work disappear almost immediately. I did french tips yesterday and already, 2 nails have no polish on them. It doesn't just chip, all the polish falls off in big chunks. It's a waste of all my other nail polish.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/26/2012 4:57:00 PM More reviews by lilylou40

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Not so much on this one. The one pro is that it dries fast but the negatives include the bottle which keeps you from being able to tell how much product is left, it isn't the most expensive but I have bought $1.00 products which are way better, and the final, kiss of death, is that it causes my beautiful polish to peel after only a day or so. Not at all happy with this product but I will say that Sally Hansen has an overall great product line.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/1/2012 12:12:00 AM More reviews by lmr007

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

When I purchased this about 9 months ago, I didn't have any trouble with it. I kept it in a cool dry place, used it tonight over a Revlon polish, and it crinkled the polish up like plastic wrap. I am very upset, because it took me a while to get the 2 coats of color on just right...then I put Mega Shine over it...and it started to just wrinkle. BUZZKILL. Be careful!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2012 1:29:00 PM More reviews by minimad

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

To start with...the packaging isn't great b/c I can't tell how much product remains in the bottle. I hope SH fixes this soon. Even with a coupon, it felt a bit overpriced. I also haven't had consistent results...sometimes my polish chips right away, other times it stays for a week or so. I also have noticed that my natural nails have started to peel their top layer which means I have to commit to applying new polish every time I remove the old polish. I'm having a love/hate relationship w/SH MS top coat. I plan to keep using it and trying different methods of applying it (from thickness to dry time to extra coats).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2012 7:39:00 PM More reviews by luckyladycj

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I must say I am totally surprised by the negative feedback on Mega Shine. I have used it since soon after it came out and have always been extremely pleased with the shine, durability and everything about it. It has the wet look shine and if it starts looking a little dull after a week, I put on a fresh coat of it. I've NEVER had it crack like other reviews have said. I keep my nails long (no acrylics) and when I put Mega Shine on over my polish, it usually lasts TOO long. My nails grow out and there is a gap at the base where there is NO polish because of nail growth. Yes I sometimes get tired of the same manicure for so long but if it's not broke, why fix it? I bought a bottle of this for my daughter who is 37 years old about 3 years ago and she is hooked on it too. She does her own manicures with hand painted original designs on her nails (and mine too when I visit her) and we want them to last so we always use Mega Shine. We've found a lot of stores don't carry it so we have to shop around a bit at times. This is the BEST topcoat EVER!!