August 29, 2014 | 1747 users online

Fragrances - Avon - Rare Gold

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2007 12:08:00 AM More reviews by innamorata

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

When someone stops me in the middle of a store and wants to know what perfume I am wearing because I smell so good, I know that fragrance is a keeper. When her teenage daughter agrees, I know I need to stock up! That happened to me today when I was wearing Rare Gold for the first time. They looked surprised. This ain't your mama's Avon!

I smelled this in the book, on one of the scented pages, and when I rubbed it on my hand I could detect a distinct whiff of amber, so I thought this might be something I'd like. Amber is a favorite ingredient of mine in fragrances, and Rare Gold is brimming with it. I also detect gardenia; of all the flowers, that is probably my favorite scent, so I'm a sucker for anything with gardenias in it.

This is a lovely, warm scent of peach, citrus, amber, vanilla, and musk, among other ingredients. I can detect a touch of honey in it as well. (I just noticed that these ingredients are "gold" colored.) It isn't too fruity, it isn't too ambery, it isn't too musky, and it isn't too sweet. It's a combination of all those things and more. This is a beautiful fragrance, and it smells elegant but not so dressy that you couldn't wear it with jeans.

I bought this in a purse-size spray, three for $10, but I think I'll invest in the full-sized bottle, I like it so much. Avon often has specials where you can pick up the large bottle for wicked cheap. All in all, I think this is something I'll wear a lot...especially if people stop me and ask me why I smell so good!

(And I have to laugh...older women, as in "Early Thirties"? That's an older woman? I'm not even forty yet and I guess I'm a dinosaur. You know...us "older women" like to smell sexy too...we still do zexytime, you know. You didn't invent it.)

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2007 1:14:00 AM More reviews by apsalmist

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Green

The scent seems like it would be a good one if it wasn't so darn overpowering! I can't get past how strong it is. If there was a way to lessen it, I'd maybe like it. As it is, I can only give it one lippie.

Well, I've given this another chance after reading reviews here and on the Avon site. Oh my, I give five lippies for this!

This is my second favorite Avon scent. (My first favorite is Christian Lacroix Absinthe mmmm - that one makes me purr!). Rare Gold is one that I spritz over my shoulder onto my back and behind my knees so that it isn't up near my face when first put on. It lessens after awhile and I get just a faint scent all day long of it. And it makes me feel 'wonderful' and 'sexy'. I love it! The body wash is lathering and scented exactly like the perfume. The lotion is real close, but I have to add it to the Moisture Intensive Care lotion that has no scent so that it won't be so strong. And love the talcum powder scent sprinkled lightly in my delicates drawer. The price is unbeatable, I received all four items for $22.

Will definitely buy it again.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/25/2007 8:39:00 AM More reviews by Katwoman141

This is my Aunt's signature smell, and I give it a good rating on her, but not on me. I always think of her when I smell it. She wears gold jewlery.It's very classy and makes you think of the high class sofistcated woman.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/11/2007 8:48:00 PM More reviews by Melissa1082

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have had so many bottles of this stuff. I love it =]

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2007 8:53:00 PM More reviews by Infraredhead

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I lost count of how many perfume bottles are hiding in my closet but this is the ONLY one that my significant other says that he like a LOT. I was a little miffed because I have spent ten times the amount I paid for this on other parfums and received no response from my man. Just goes to show you that you don't have to spend a fortune to smell nice. I would say that it is quite similar to Avon's Far Away but not as sweet. Leans more on the fruity side rather than the floral. Long lasting and cheap!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2007 2:43:00 PM More reviews by catsrsmarterthandogs

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a beautiful floral, orange blossom and amber scent. It's sweet, and rich. It can be heavy...so I use one spray and it's all I need all day. If you put on too much, it stinks! My DH says this is the best scent I own!!! I bought 2 for around $20...it was buy 1 get 1 free. I would buy again. But with the 2 bottles I have and only using one spray at a time, I don't see that happening anytime soon. The bottle is very pretty too.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/30/2007 6:06:00 PM More reviews by zanderae

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This wasn't "floriental" on me at all...just floral - very, very floral - and not in the least oriental. So I was disappointed with it. But it does last a reasonably long time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2006 10:56:00 PM More reviews by BluePlanet36

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I really like this one. It lasts a long time and just smells wonderful.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/28/2006 8:15:00 AM More reviews by maliat5140

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

love it..

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2006 7:04:00 PM More reviews by valleychic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This scent is very warm sophisticated scent. It is great for fall. I use it with a light hand because it can be too strong. I will buy this again but in the travel size since it will last a long time. I am going to try the lotion as well.