July 28, 2014 | 1256 users online

Shampoo - Burt's Bees - Rosemary Mint Shampoo Bar [DISCONTINUED]

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2005 4:05:00 PM More reviews by innamorata

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Okay...I admit it. I originally gave this a moderately bad review for my hair, but...I can admit when I'm wrong. I've used this a few more times, and it is starting to grow on me. (Just for a reference, my hair is thick, super curly, very dry, prone to temper tantrums, mostly one length, and about halfway to my bra strap. I used to color it but have not done so in about three years, so the color is just about grown out...so now it is about 25% white, the rest reddish-brown.)

What originally freaked me out about using this was the "odd" feeling it left on my hair. Didn't my mother teach me that my hair is clean when it "squeaks"? (A total myth, btw...squeaky hair comes from the minerals in our water and is not indicative of how well our shampoo is performing.) Well...this definitely is NOT squeak-friendly. I rub this between my hands and get a good lather going (I use lots of water...if this starts to dry out it doesn't lather well) and rub my hands on my hair. It takes a couple of times doing this and even a time or two rubbing the bar on my hair itself to get enough to really get into the depths of my hair. I'm still learning how much to use...each time I am learning to use less. This never really works up into a hyper lather like most liquid shampoos do, so if you're used to a headful of bubbles you're going to be disappointed. I then rinse it out.

Here is where the problems originally began for me...it never feels "rinsed". My hair feels different...it doesn't squeak, but it doesn't feel dirty either. I have found that I cannot go without conditioner, so I use a little regular conditioner on my hair after this. I leave it on while I finish my shower, comb it through, and rinse. Now....there is a little squeaking going on, but not much. I feel somehow guilty using a regular conditioner after using this natural bar, but it can't be helped...Burt is behind on making his Avocado Hair Treatment (which I really want to try with this) and I can't go without conditioner. I tried it...not pretty. However, I've noticed that I don't use as much conditioner as I used to.

After I get out of the shower, I run the comb through once more, and I normally mix a little of the Apricot Baby Oil with my usual got2b glossy Serum to apply to my hair. I use a styling product, finger-style my hair, and I normally let it dry naturally. And all I can say is....WOW. My curls have NEVER been this curly. They look just like springs! My hair is soft, clean, manageable, and did I mention it is CURLY?

I've used this and the Baby Bee Shampoo Bar and I like both. I have changed my mind, and am on my way to buy a full-sized bar now. Plus, my son uses this on his short flattop haircut and it helps keep his hair clean (even after sports) and smelling nice without smelling "girly". One thing I've tried, which helps...I think this is made for people who don't wash their hair every day, which I do. I use a fast, diluted vinegar rinse before I shampoo (I just keep some in a plastic bottle in the shower, squeeze a little on my hair, and rinse...takes about thirty seconds) and then much of the buildup from previous shampoos is gone. I do this about every other day. But this bar is great...I'm sold!

UPDATE 2/8/05: I have noticed that the full-sized bar lathers easier and better than the sample-sized bar. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2005 7:53:00 PM More reviews by Rainbow_Dim

I think some people aren't using the shampoo bar correctly. You have to put it against your hair and rub. It will take a second, but the lather will come, just like regular shampoo. I was able to lather it up a bunch and clean my whole head of hair which is saying something because I have a TON of it, a thick head of thick curly hair.

I used it with my regular conditioner and my hair came out great. I was really pleased and surprised. This was also my first experience with a shampoo bar.

I got it in a starter kit I got for Christmas. But once I run out I will definitely go out and buy it.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/16/2005 12:58:00 PM More reviews by o00meow00o

I like the smell of this product however it doesn't get your hair clean. It's easy to lather up if you rub it in your hands and then on your hair, but it just didn't get my hair clean. Wouldn't buy again

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2005 11:19:00 AM More reviews by SunriseSunset

My friend's reaction the day after I used this: "Your hair looks like bristle." Enough said.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/4/2004 11:11:00 PM More reviews by shwin

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

HEAVY buildup!!! I couldn't stand it. I don't like the packaging, I like my stuff to have seals. The bar comes in either a paper wrapping that isn't even glued together to hold the flaps down or it comes in a paper box. It would be nice if it was wrapped in plastic or something. Smells nice.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/10/2004 12:43:00 AM More reviews by Milana

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

AWFUL!!! This IS soap. Why I chose to put soap on my hair I'll never know. It left an awful scummy film on my hair that took several washes with a clarifying shampoo to remove. It also left my hair dry and brittle. I couldn't even use this awful stuff as a shower bar because of the soap scum. I will never make the mistake of buying it again. I do believe that this is the soap that left stains on my towels also.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2004 11:38:00 AM More reviews by blackbird23

This product is truly wonderful! I use it with the avocado butter conditioner and I get really wonderful results on my thick, curly, natural african-american hair. Burt's Bees is environmentally friendly and their products are gentle, natural, and inexpensive. Oh and my boyfriend loves it too.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2004 6:40:00 PM More reviews by Amazonne

This environmentally friendly product cuts back on packaging and product waste (one bar in a small cardboard box gives me months on my chin-length hair) and has made my hair look its best. Its gentle conditioners don't strip my hair, and I no longer need to condition my dry, brittle hair except a few times a month. This is a HG product - it's good for the environment, extremely cheap, and has significantly improved the health of my hair. Plus the smell is invigorating! Give it a try if you have short hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2004 3:28:00 PM More reviews by AwsomeVal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have to say I'm with the few that love this product. When I have product build-up on my hair I use this soap to remove it. It doesn't strip my hair like some other clarifying shampoos have. I also rub the bar right on my hair.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2004 9:57:00 PM More reviews by greenreed

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

DO NOT TRY WITH LONG HAIR
EVER!!!!!!!!!

What a mess. I ended up using regular shampoo to get this out. The scent was refreshing for a time, and I think I used this up on the rest of me. No wonder Victorian ladies with their long hair looked so glum in their pictures. Not only did the shutter on the camera have to stay open forever, they probably had to wash their long hair with a bar of soap the night before and then try to comb it out! UGH!