November 22, 2014 | 1964 users online

Toners - Neutrogena - Alcohol-Free Toner

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2012 11:08:00 AM More reviews by syeung2

This is a staple for me. Light and refreshing, cleans my skin without drying, and removes almost all my makeup - it isn't as effective on long wear cream/gel liners, but I generally use an eye makeup remover for those anyway first. Doesn't sting or irritate. This works when my skin is normal or when it's dry/combo, and of course also when it's end-of-the-day-greasy. I've tried other comparable products but keep coming back to this, both for the price/value and quality/effectiveness.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2012 12:49:00 PM More reviews by maddie1997

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have gone through maybe 3 bottles of this and will continue to purchase this forever. It gets all the dirt, oil and makeup out of your pores that your clenser missed. Doesn't sting or dry out your skin, just leaves it super clean. Great product!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/16/2012 6:41:00 PM More reviews by cat3542

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Suffering from extremely oily, and acne-prone skin, I have yet to find my HG when it comes to toners. I have been using this toner for a little more than a week, and I have came to two conclusions: #1. It does not work well if you apply before beginning your day, and hope to see a less shiny face--in fact, it leaves a slight residue upon being applied--and #2, it is a great before bed toner--I feel as though my face is moisturized and refreshed--but yet again, do not expect any drastic changes to your oily face! Overall, I enjoy this product because it's "Alcohol-free," and prevents my oil glands from producing more oil (an effect alcohol has) however, it does not noticeably halt, or decrease my daily production. Maybe there is not a toner which last throughout the day, but it would be nice if I found one!--until then, this will due for the night time.
EDIT:
I am now using Clinique's "Mild" Clarifying Lotion which contains NO alcohol, but Salcylic Acid: interesting, eh? :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2012 9:49:00 PM More reviews by bamaRN37

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I used this specifically when I was on Accutane, and needed something gentle. It does not sting or irritate the skin at all. It was about $6 US at Walmart and one bottle would last about a month, using it 2x a day.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/25/2012 9:10:00 PM More reviews by Fiona011

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product for about a year, and I find it to really work for my skin. I use it quite often. It is not harsh on my skin and cleans any last bit of makeup I may have on. I highly recommend this product for someone with sensitive skin. Also great for dry skin since it does not strip the moisture from your face.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/21/2012 2:19:00 PM More reviews by fluffy11

I had such high hopes for this product. I've heard great reviews about it, but it did not react well with my skin. Although it did not break me out (nor did it help with my breakouts), it caused patches of flaky, extremely itchy and irritated skin spread near my eye area. Although I did not apply this toner anywhere near my eye, continued use of this toner only prolonged my dry itchy patches. After discontinuing use for 2 months and extreme moisturizing, my skin finally returned back to normal.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/20/2012 4:55:00 PM More reviews by pekemeso

I am using this toner right now after I wash my face. Compare with pore refining toner, this toner is much better than last one. Any kind of skin type could use. Moisturize well,it good to use everyday and price is inexpensive.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2012 4:37:00 PM More reviews by blinkds

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

It is my third bottle of toner, I must say I like this one.

It doesn't have the drying / tightness effect, leaves my skin soft and the moisture doesn't disapper!! (But does not leave my skin oily):-) some toners leave my skin a bit red or inflammed rather, this is perfect for me to use morning and night.

This is not a special toner average in my opinion, so....basicly use this if you have great skin!. I will DEF buy again!
People with dry/sen skin will benefit from this

rated 3 of 5 on 3/15/2012 2:27:00 AM More reviews by ChubbyBunny3698

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

There is really nothing that special about this toner. Soft on my skin and purifies it, but doesn't make much difference to my face. Despite all those positive raves on this product about its ability to minimize those pores, without stripping any of the skin's natural moisture, I can't really touch on the things that can make me want to repurchase this again. I'm a non-alcohol free toner junkie, so I'm always up to try toners that can offer very low to no alcohol, although my skin is combination/oily with 1 or 2 blemish breakout around my mouth and blackheads on my nose. Neutrogena Alcohol Free Toner is my first ever facial toner and my first taste of a drugstore toner. Maybe this is me, but I always feel that Neutrogena's products are mostly targeted for combination,oily and acne-prone skin types. If you are interested, Neutrogena are one of those skincare brands that doesn't test on animals, extra point for this. For this toner, I was hoping for it to minimize my pores as this offers, help control the oiliness around my nose and possibly help minimize the amount of blackheads on my nose. So here's the low down of my 5 month experience with this product:

Product claims:
- To clean, purify and refresh skin without leaving it feeling tight or stinging (True, since this have barely any to no alcohol in this toner, it would be suitable for those with sensitive skin.)
-Oil-free, non-comedogenic (won't clog pores),absorbs quickly and hypoallergenic ( All true! Having it being non-comedogenic ensures people who is concern with ingredients clogging their pores and since this toner is like a watery liquid formula, it would easily and quickly absorb into skin, other than sitting on top of the skin for minutes to be full absorbed.)

Packaging:
As for a drugstore toner, the packaging is very simple and straightforward, which I like. Comes in a purple tone blue plastic squeezable bottle with a white screw top lid (sorry, I'm not so good at describe, trying my best). The bottle holds up to 150ml or 250ml/8.5 FL OZ (the most fluid varies from country to country, I think.)

Application:
When I first using toners, I always apply on my face by a facial cotton pad, however, I learnt from Bubzbeauty (LOVE HER!) from YouTube that you can pour a small amount of toner onto your hands and apply straight on your face. Sometimes, I found when I apply my toner with a cotton pad, my cotton pad drinks up more of the product than the amount my face does, therefore I'm actually not using every drop of the product as I anticipated. My hands are a much gentler and softer approach to apply another toner, by gently and firmly pressing the toner on my face and finishing by slapping the sides of my face to help blood circulation, this method have helped my improved my radiance. As I've mentioned before, the toner absorb very quickly and doesn't leave my skin feeling any pain or tightness at any cost, which is a big thumbs up.

Benefit to my skin:
Despite how this product have done wonder for those ladies out there who have the same problem as me with enlarge pores, this toner just didn't clicked, no matter how much I wanted it to be. Month after month, I just didn't see any result, not even the slightest. The chemistry between the toner and my skin just don't match, I guess, but that doesn't mean it might not work for you, because for the majority of the reviews I read on MUA and watched on YouTube, left consumers with a clean, beaming face.

Scent:
Yes for no strong scented ingredients, some toners have high amount of fragrances in their product that put consumers off. I don't really have a strong description or idea how to tell how this product smell, but it's probably alright for most noses.

Ingredients:
Water, PEG-4, Butylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, Ceteth-24, Choleth-24, Panthenol, Glycereth-26, Sodium PCA, Benzalkonium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Chloride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance

Repurchase: No, generally a good product for such a reasonable price, but I'm looking for something more effective for my troublesome skin. What a shame!

Price: $9.99AU regular retail price, I purchases my toner at my local Priceline pharmacy, if you live in Australia like me, Neutrogena can be found in any big brand supermarket like Coles and Safeway and at MyChemist pharmacies.

Hope you enjoyed my long review :) Please feel free to inbox me for any further questions if you want or tell me how you went with this product too. I'm super excited to do more reviews for you in the future, and listen to other consumers' thoughts too <3

rated 2 of 5 on 3/10/2012 11:20:00 AM More reviews by itsjenna007

I thought that this product would be good for my skin because it gets pretty dry. This toner makes my skin feel tight and drier. Usually I use the clinique toner for dry skin and it works for me. I wanted to try something less expensive but this just doesn't work the same. I hate putting things on my face that have a scent and this one definitely has a fragrance.