October 22, 2014 | 2101 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Bois des Iles

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2008 10:41:00 PM More reviews by oakley1

Does Chanel keep the same basic scent framework for all of their perfumes? For some reason, to me, it smells similar, but worse than, Cuir de Russie and shares some accords with no. 5. I definitely get that smell of wet wipes, and not the baby powder ones either...more like the ones they give you at some restaurant to wipe your greasy fingers after you dine on King Crab. These scents last on me A LONG time (the old adage I guess), cuz I'm just not that into them. I certainly don't agree w/ Luca Turin (Perfumes: The Guide) on a lot of things. Perhaps I agree more with Christopher Brosius from CB, who I think said that perfumes are more about psychological/emotional connections. Maybe it was my wicked stepmother who wore one of these perfumes, and I'm just not conscious of it. Kidding.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2008 12:47:00 AM More reviews by lushsoup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Oh how I dreamed of this scent! I OWN it based on the reviews. I decided to test it again today, and was PAINED to have to actually remove it (gasp) when after 3 hours the aldehydes persisted. They persisted past the sandalwood base that I longed for. Perhaps in a perfume? My Cuir de Ruisse parfum, tested on the other arm did not emanate quite the overwhelming aldehydes of Bois de Iles today, so I once again suspect the strength difference will actually make a difference. I gave it 3 lippies, reluctantly, due to the aldehydes on my skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/11/2008 7:29:00 PM More reviews by debrsl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't understand why this is so "meh" on me when everyone else loves it so much. It smells dated and too sophisticated. It's a sophistication that doesn't interest me either, as does the sophistication of SL's Vetiver Oriental. There are supposed to be all these gorgeous notes going on--see Perfumes, The Guide. Unpleasant topnotes and then woods, just woods.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2008 10:15:00 AM More reviews by pennypencil

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

The fact that I haven’t fallen head over heels with Bois des Iles is a surprise, because I hankered after it for years thinking the description sounded just right for me. I love wood, powder, and almost every Chanel I have tried. I love Feminite du bois, Egoiste, Black Cashmere – so why ever don’t I love this? For a start, it buzzes in a very shrill manner on my skin. The powder is almost tangible, only it isn’t baby powder, but an old-fashioned, chalky, bathroom set powder, bought from a tourist shop in a seaside town that has seen better days. I regret I must admit that for the first time in a fragrance I actually detect a body odour note in Bois des Iles. There is a sweetness that sits quite high in the mix, as if on a window ledge, and I get a little lemon sherbet, which I think is an illusion from the peach and benzoin. I think it’s unlikely I have ever detected this on anyone else, but it definitely reminds me of something from my past. Possibly the wet-wipes my dad used to keep on the car dashboard for my sticky fingers.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2008 12:12:00 PM More reviews by Shwets

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

When I first tried this in the Chanel Boutique it smelt amazing but did not seem to last on me. Then i received a sample of this from a kind MUAer and re-tried.

This smells exactly like a dilute version of samsara on my skin.
Again this does not last at all. On the other wrist I have talco delicato on and it is so strong but very pleasant!

Chanel no 22, coco and coco mlle last very well.

In terms of its strength and scent I wouldnt buy this perfume.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2008 6:06:00 AM More reviews by gemkate

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Absolutely the most perfect day perfume ever. I wear caleche in winter, but when it gets warmer I don't want to smell too sweet. This is a gorgeous woody, warm scent - almost caramelly - it is chic but not sharp, moreish but not sickly - it's just divine. Can only buy it at Chanel boutiques i think. Bottle is HUGE so will last forever.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2008 4:45:00 AM More reviews by Angela1013

Another Vintage love of mine, what can I say. I love this parfum and the EDT, have both in my collection. Beautiful creamy Sandalwood drydown with some sweetness and I love love love aldehydes!! for some strange reason..lol perfumery at it's finest. 1926 Earnest Baux created for Chanel. A time when artistic creativity went into making perfumes. The fragrances of today just can't hold a candle to these vintage masterpeices. A must try if you haven't.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2008 4:14:00 PM More reviews by jamiemp

I'm really into Chanel fragrances lately, so I bought a bunch of decants from The Perfumed Court, mainly including different Chanels I haven't tried before. This was one, and while I think it smells nice, it doesn't do it for me. I really prefer stronger, "statement" perfumes, and this is very coy. It's pretty and feminine, and would be perfect if you work in an office with sensitive people and rules about perfume, but it's just not me. Also, it didn't have great lasting power, only about 3-4 hours, and I spray A LOT of perfume on myself.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2007 2:01:00 PM More reviews by verolyn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Tried a decant of the EDT. Bois des Iles is so often described as an HG... I couldn't wait to try it on. I loved the idea of sandalwood and ginger blended with high-quality Chanel florals. I dabbed it anxiously upon my wrist and sniffed. The Chanel aldehydes were there. Jasmine and powder, which unfortunately, always go sour on me. I didn't think they would be so pronounced in this one, but there they were, souring the whole experience. Alas, another Chanel I can't wear. It was just no good. The sourness persisted, long into the woodsy drydown. Bois des Iles put up a good fight. Even as my body chemistry soured the jasmine and ylang ylang, I could smell gorgeous creamy sandalwood and ginger, and a spicy balsamic woodsy note. I'm one of the accursed few with chemistry that can turn Chanel to cat pee. I can appreciate Chanel quality, but I would not repurchase. I'll update if I ever get to try the parfum.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2007 11:08:00 AM More reviews by ayala

Perfume transcends the intangible mystery of time. And just like the presence of the mysterious time traveler, it enters our life suddenly and disappears without warning. Perhaps this was why when I saw her I smelled a phantom breath of Bois des Îles: a perfume that silently entered my consciousness and whose beauty I was unable to appreciate years ago because of its antiquated aldehydic moments and the vagueness of its intentions.

Years later, my reflections on Bois des Îles have been refined and clarity is starting to bring me more pleasure from this jus treasured within the crystal cut flacon. Without taking away from its mystery I can enjoy it and indulge in discerning the notes as they lazily dance on my skin. First come bergamot and aldehydes, which take some time to fade away. They are oily and bring to mind the somewhat uric aspect of sandalwood, and the somewhat sharp (at first) nuances of heady ylang ylang. As the aldehydic cloud settles, Bois des Îles becomes deliciously warm, with the spiciness of dry ginger and nutmeg. Sandalwood embraces the perfume throughout its evolution. Although there are floral notes in the heart (namely jasmine and rose), ylang ylang is the only one that truly stands out. The others are blended to complement the sandalwood and ylang ylang (smoothing and rounding its sharpness) and bridge from top to base and the crisp-woody notes of vetiver. And in the final movement choreographed on my skin, the sweetness of vanilla absolute, tonka and benzoin feels like a silky caress of soft lips and warm sand.

Top notes: Aldehydes, Bergamot, Ylang Ylang