Chanel Bois des Iles

4.1

I found this perfume to be quite sickening to be honest. I had high hopes for it, based on the reviews. I find it very powdery, musky and intensely strong. It actually made my stomach churn, and that's tough to do - I am a perfume lover and can stand some of the strongest fragrances around.

Gave this extra points because the lasting quality is terrific - however - it is extremely headache inducing, and far too powdery for my likings - reminds me a lot of Chanel #5 - smells almost identical on me.

Does Chanel keep the same basic scent framework for all of their perfumes? For some reason, to me, it smells similar, but worse than, Cuir de Russie and shares some accords with no. 5. I definitely get that smell of wet wipes, and not the baby powder ones either...more like the ones they give you at some restaurant to wipe your greasy fingers after you dine on King Crab. These scents last on me A LONG time (the old adage I guess), cuz I'm just not that into them. I certainly don't agree w/ Luca Turin (Perfumes: The Guide) on a lot of things. Perhaps I agree more with Christopher Brosius from CB, who I think said that perfumes are more about psychological/emotional connections. Maybe it was my wicked stepmother who wore one of these perfumes, and I'm just not conscious of it. Kidding.

Oh how I dreamed of this scent! I OWN it based on the reviews. I decided to test it again today, and was PAINED to have to actually remove it (gasp) when after 3 hours the aldehydes persisted. They persisted past the sandalwood base that I longed for. Perhaps in a perfume? My Cuir de Ruisse parfum, tested on the other arm did not emanate quite the overwhelming aldehydes of Bois de Iles today, so I once again suspect the strength difference will actually make a difference. I gave it 3 lippies, reluctantly, due to the aldehydes on my skin.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I don't understand why this is so "meh" on me when everyone else loves it so much. It smells dated and too sophisticated. It's a sophistication that doesn't interest me either, as does the sophistication of SL's Vetiver Oriental. There are supposed to be all these gorgeous notes going on--see Perfumes, The Guide. Unpleasant topnotes and then woods, just woods.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

The fact that I havenít fallen head over heels with Bois des Iles is a surprise, because I hankered after it for years thinking the description sounded just right for me. I love wood, powder, and almost every Chanel I have tried. I love Feminite du bois, Egoiste, Black Cashmere Ė so why ever donít I love this? For a start, it buzzes in a very shrill manner on my skin. The powder is almost tangible, only it isnít baby powder, but an old-fashioned, chalky, bathroom set powder, bought from a tourist shop in a seaside town that has seen better days. I regret I must admit that for the first time in a fragrance I actually detect a body odour note in Bois des Iles. There is a sweetness that sits quite high in the mix, as if on a window ledge, and I get a little lemon sherbet, which I think is an illusion from the peach and benzoin. I think itís unlikely I have ever detected this on anyone else, but it definitely reminds me of something from my past. Possibly the wet-wipes my dad used to keep on the car dashboard for my sticky fingers.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

When I first tried this in the Chanel Boutique it smelt amazing but did not seem to last on me. Then i received a sample of this from a kind MUAer and re-tried.

This smells exactly like a dilute version of samsara on my skin.
Again this does not last at all. On the other wrist I have talco delicato on and it is so strong but very pleasant!

Chanel no 22, coco and coco mlle last very well.

In terms of its strength and scent I wouldnt buy this perfume.

Absolutely the most perfect day perfume ever. I wear caleche in winter, but when it gets warmer I don't want to smell too sweet. This is a gorgeous woody, warm scent - almost caramelly - it is chic but not sharp, moreish but not sickly - it's just divine. Can only buy it at Chanel boutiques i think. Bottle is HUGE so will last forever.

Another Vintage love of mine, what can I say. I love this parfum and the EDT, have both in my collection. Beautiful creamy Sandalwood drydown with some sweetness and I love love love aldehydes!! for some strange reason..lol perfumery at it's finest. 1926 Earnest Baux created for Chanel. A time when artistic creativity went into making perfumes. The fragrances of today just can't hold a candle to these vintage masterpeices. A must try if you haven't.

I'm really into Chanel fragrances lately, so I bought a bunch of decants from The Perfumed Court, mainly including different Chanels I haven't tried before. This was one, and while I think it smells nice, it doesn't do it for me. I really prefer stronger, "statement" perfumes, and this is very coy. It's pretty and feminine, and would be perfect if you work in an office with sensitive people and rules about perfume, but it's just not me. Also, it didn't have great lasting power, only about 3-4 hours, and I spray A LOT of perfume on myself.

Tried a decant of the EDT. Bois des Iles is so often described as an HG... I couldn't wait to try it on. I loved the idea of sandalwood and ginger blended with high-quality Chanel florals. I dabbed it anxiously upon my wrist and sniffed. The Chanel aldehydes were there. Jasmine and powder, which unfortunately, always go sour on me. I didn't think they would be so pronounced in this one, but there they were, souring the whole experience. Alas, another Chanel I can't wear. It was just no good. The sourness persisted, long into the woodsy drydown. Bois des Iles put up a good fight. Even as my body chemistry soured the jasmine and ylang ylang, I could smell gorgeous creamy sandalwood and ginger, and a spicy balsamic woodsy note. I'm one of the accursed few with chemistry that can turn Chanel to cat pee. I can appreciate Chanel quality, but I would not repurchase. I'll update if I ever get to try the parfum.

Popular Fragrances