October 30, 2014 | 1349 users online

Top/Base Coats - OPI - Start to Finish Base & Top Coat

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2009 6:29:00 PM More reviews by mrsleonidas

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love me some opi, with that being said... let me say that unfortunately.... this is "JUNK!".... IT JUST "BUBBLES" TREMENDOUSLY, NO MATTER WHAT I FREAKING DO!!! Drying waiting etc. whateva!! I JUST CRIED! NAILS RUINED EVERYTIME!!! EITHER AS A BASE or TOP coat..IT BUBBLED INSANELY as well as bubbled streaks. Also, STREAKS MY POLISH as a top coat, WHY? I paid enough for this junk to work...it really is nuts! DO NOT BUY! :(

rated 2 of 5 on 3/16/2009 2:03:00 PM More reviews by algreen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

As a base coat, this works okay I guess, but it majorly sucks as a top coat. Not only does it not keep my nails from chipping and leave a dull, rather than shiny, finish on my nails, but it also makes my nailpolish bubble. No matter how long I wait for my nailpolish to dry before applying Start to Finish, my nailpolish still bubbles, which is extremely annoying. I'm going to just use this as a base coat in the future.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2009 11:16:00 PM More reviews by fetishdolly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

It's far better as base than topcoat. I like how it dried, but it kind of left a dull finish on my polish. It doesn't look nearly as shiny as the China Glaze topcoat. It didn't make my polish streak like other topcoats do. I guess my search for a H.G. topcoat continues.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/27/2009 3:02:00 PM More reviews by PinkEyelashes

I've been using this product for a couple of weeks now, and I'm not a fan at all. As a base coat, it's your average base coat. Nothing horrible, but nothing spectacular either. As a topcoat however, I find it horrible! There is a lot of typing involved in my job, so my fingers are constantly in action.. so I've been looking for a top coat that *really* protects against chipping. Well, this stuff definitely doesn't chip - IT PEELS! Oh it drives me CRAZY! I would almost rather deal with chipping than peeling! And to make matters worse, it peels of the coloured polish as well. Very annoying because I often wear bright or darker colours, so it's extremely obvious when I have a strip of it peeled off. I also find that the shine dulls quickly...

My overall rating is a 1, because of the above reasons and the price! Very expensive for a nail polish whether it works or not.

The packaging is pretty typical. I do love the wide brush (my reason for the 1 lippie!) . My only complaint about the packaging is I usually appreciate having some kind of grip on the lid of nail polishes, because it sucks when the polish cakes up and dries around the top, and seals itself shut. A grip usually makes it a little easier to open, unlike all OPI polishes that have a very smooth, rounded lid. Not a huge deal because I usually just dribble a little bit of polish remover over it and losens it up...

No, I will not buy this product again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2009 11:02:00 PM More reviews by stephiem

This is the most money I've ever spent on a nail polish. $15 CAD holy mackerel but there is a plus! It works! I have a terrible problem with bumping my hands on things and my nail polish almost always chips after the first day but this stuff works sooo well. I'm wearing a nail polish from the MAC HK line and it's day 3 and it still hasn't chipped yet! It leaves my nails looking glossy and so professional.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2009 6:56:00 AM More reviews by Svanhvit

Great stuff. I wear dark nail varnish all the time and my nails have never been stained while using this as a base coat. As a top coat it is *very* shiny (as long as you don't make the mistake of breathing on it when you're applying it, like I do sometimes!) and totally prevents chips. I apply one layer when I first do my nails, then a second a couple of days later, and it makes my polish look perfect for about 5 days.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2008 10:03:00 PM More reviews by sharis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought the Formaldehyde free formula based on the good reviews. What do I think? Terrible! This makes my polish that normally never chips chip like crazy. Even my beloved Chanel chips with this. I love OPI but this stuff is just horrible.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2008 3:32:00 AM More reviews by cheekypig

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have the OPI Start to Finish Base & Top Coat in the formaldehyde free formula, which is a lovely multi-tasking polish that's free of that toxic chemical; formaldehyde. This is perfect for a quick, easy home manicure, leaving nails all shiny and gorgeous. I only apply this when I have a deep colour on, not sheer, soft shades. I like to apply one thin coat of this, a coat or two of polish, then sandwich another thin layer over the top. It dries quickly to a soft shine as a base coat, then when you lay it over the coloured polish, it gets all beautifully glossy and shiny with a hard finish. Normally, whenever I shower, my polish starts chipping and looks really tacky (especially with darker colours), but with this, I can have a shower without it ruining one bit! ♥ I also love how it never stains the nails! This just glides off the nails without leaving stains and your nails never discolour (although my nails aren't prone to yellowing, thankfully). Dries quickly, so you don't have to wait long between coats and doesn't leave those dreaded sheet marks in the morning.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2008 1:53:00 AM More reviews by ali723

i am amazed by this product. it managed to make a cheap drugstore polish last 3 weeks AND that included a 4 day cruise to the bahamas! tight stilettos, beaches, ocean, pools, barefeet...nothing did a thing to my toes. awesome. i only used on my toes but i imagine it would still help nail polish last.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/15/2008 5:15:00 AM More reviews by gelo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

it's decent but not quite what i was looking for. i find that it works alright against chipping and has a hard finish. i used it with an essie polish in 'no pre-nup' and it kinda makes the nail polish color sheerer. it goes on thinly but i still get tiny bubbles especially when applying a second coat immediately after. i suspect it may be the way i apply it though. i experienced streaking when using over nail art and it takes quite a while to dry. i paid $11.95usd but it came with the opi crystal file.