September 2, 2014 | 1917 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - White Linen

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2008 8:01:00 PM More reviews by roroluca

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I hate to give a mediocre rating but I do. I first remember smelling this at age 4 or 5 because my mom gave me a sample sample size of this perfume. She had an extensive collection of perfumes and I can't remember what I thought of this perfume at age 4 or 5, but now that I've revisited it it smells like pure white linen that has been worn by an upper-middle class woman contemplating in an old library. Strange, but true.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/29/2008 6:08:00 PM More reviews by CandyApple85

Ive had some hit and miss experiences with the vintage estee perfumes. i love beautiful, but hated youth dew and grew to dislike cinnabar. white linen, i guess is ok, but certainly not a favourite. what i do like about it, is that is smells very clean and crisp. what i dont like, is that on me it has that big, loud, generic "perfumey" scent that you tend to get with some of the older fragrances. i cant really detect any specific notes, i just get... a perfumey smell. and its nice, but it also smells like a lot of other things, vanderbilt and wind song come to mind. i'm sure i'll use my 30ml bottle up, on days when i want to smell a little more refined, but i doubt i would repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/9/2008 2:42:00 PM More reviews by maid_marilyn

The list of notes of this perfume makes it sound like something I would like, but it really didn't work on me. I'm terrible at picking out specific notes so I can't be very specific about what went wrong with this fragrance for me, but it had a sharp edge to it that just wouldn't go away. On the right person I imagine this could be very fresh and pretty.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2008 6:17:00 PM More reviews by SadSadie

Great perfume, if you're over the age of 60.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2008 11:08:00 AM More reviews by RingofFire

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Don't care what anybody else says this is one of the few floral perfumes I love and keep going back to. I know this scent does not work for everyone but if it does it has a nice clean floral scent that is not heavy. Like a fresh after a shower smell which I like. I was first introduced to this in my early twenties and before that liked mostly woodsy scents if I wore perfume at all.

To me ''old lady'' perfume is straight rose water something your grandma or great- grandma or great aunt wore in the early 1900's. This does not remind me of anything that I have noticED on someone say, of advanced years.

I also like that it E/L makes a body lotion for this. At least if someone does have a problem with my perfume I -know I can wear this without offending anyone.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2008 8:12:00 PM More reviews by pisces31919

This is my sig scent from mid-June to mid-September. I love it because it's not too strong, crazy feminine, and stands up to the heat of summer!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2008 3:13:00 PM More reviews by 52pigtails

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This might be a great classic, yet I can't help but smelling a rotten, wreck fragrance, as if my grandmother had owned it in the Seventies and left it exposed to light for these last thirty years: suffocating.
The pyramide lists some aldehides, white flowers and cedar, but I mostly smell syntheticity in it.
In this fragrance I can smell no freshness, no lightness, no nothing.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2008 5:58:00 AM More reviews by jeantanpk

As mentioned in my earlier reviews of EL's fragrance, this is one fragrance that i was compelled to buy but never really liked it... I think, if i must say, White Linen Breeze is better.. except that i cant seem to find it anymore

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2008 9:19:00 PM More reviews by Helena101

I wore this constantly throughout college and for awhile after graduation. I am now 41 years old and thinking of buying this again after realizing that I test it every time I go to Macy's. I think I stopped wearing it because I wanted sexier scents--I believe I went from White Linen right to Fendi--but White Linen is truly a classic that has stood the test of time, IMO.

On me, this is a soft rose with a fresh, but not cloying, light powdery scent. It smells clean and delicate. Frankly, I don't get the "Grandma" comments and I find them offensive (and my kids are only in preschool!) If White Linen works on you, you will smell fresh and lovely and get many compliments. If it doesn't, well, then, there is another scent out there for you that will work.

The other thing I like about White Linen is the very classy, Ralph Lauren type of imagery that has been used throughout the years in the ad campaigns. You can almost imagine that you'll be summering at your own place in the Hamptons or Newport when you wear this scent...like Grace Kelly in "High Society". I love it!

Editing one year later to add that I finally picked up a bottle of the edp. I love it as much as I did 20 years ago. It is so reassuring to see the bottle back on my dresser. It brings back such memories! And it smells so divine. All I can think of is beach roses when I wear this. Dying to get the powder now, as I've read such great reviews on the lasting power of it. Love!

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2008 9:10:00 AM More reviews by bartamy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I remember the original ad campaign for this! ...gorgeous woman dressed in crisp white linen in a Hamptons-style garden yard...

Anyway, I started wearing this when I was 15. Fell in love immediately. The crisp greens are perfectly harmonized with the other notes, and lasts forever on my skin. This instantly changes my mood when I apply it; I feel energized, purposeful, subttly sexy. Love it.

EL came out with a limited edition solid lipstick-style version of this some years ago, and I was in love with the creamy texture and slight shimmer. I wore it down to the very end. I used Qtips and bobby pins to get to the last of it. I will forever replace this in EDP form, but may go months without wearing it. Love it.