Chanel Le Vernis Nail Colour in Vamp #18

3.8

on 5/2/2006 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

i am absolutely hooked on chanel nail polish! not only is it long-lasting, the second coat application is smudgeproof. vamp was my first color. for the equivalent of the color vamp, you can get maybelline wet shine in succulent for 4 bucks.

on 4/21/2006 1:39:00 PM

This color is the bomb--one of the best nailpolishes out there ANYWHERE.

on 4/10/2006 9:49:00 PM

Let me start by saying that I own quite a few super dark shades..over 24 at the moment. The ones I have that are closest to Vamp are Essie Wicked, Revlon Vixen, OPI Black Magic Mountain, OPI Mrs. O'Leary's BBQ, and Isa Dora Midnight Red. I have to say that I find Vamp's color unique. It has a nice balance between plummy and red tones with a deep, subtle shimmer that shows up in sunlight. The rest of the time, it looks like a glossy creme that's somewhere between the color of dried blood and a dark bing cherry. Colorwise, I do agree that Vamp has something that it's many clones just haven't been able to capture. It's that subtle shimmer that Chanel does so well. That being said, I prefer the darker Essie Wicked with its dried blood look or the darker and more eggplant tones of OPI Black Magic Mountain. Both also last much better on my nails than Chanel's formula. I know that some people get great wear out of Chanel polish, but I am not one of them. This is my fourth Chanel and performance is as lackluster as always. With Vamp, I had noticeable tip wear after 8 hrs. Granted, even the best performers only last 3-4 days on my nails, but for the price, I expect Chanel to at least perform at the same level as the best. I wish I would have learned my lesson the first 3 times that I tried Chanel. I would not get this polish again and if I keep my current bottle, it will be just to have this famous polish in my collection.

on 1/4/2006 9:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

A very sexy, creamy, and ultra shiny blackend red. My favorite of the "vampy" colors. I love that it takes only 2 thin coats to get streak-free gorgeous coverage. I've had great luck with Chanel's lasting power and this one did not disappoint. Dark colors can tend to chip quickly, but I got 6 days of great wear out of my mani. A staple in my n/p wardrobe.

great maroon color, but weird packaging and a bit too pricey.

on 12/24/2005 8:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Don't be fooled into thinking that the Vamp you just bought at the Chanel counter is the original one, which was called Rouge Noir (Red Black = Ripe Black Cherry)! The current vamp, as one reviewer noted is more like BBQ sauce, very nice, just not the Vamp you may have heard of for years, which is only available in Europe as Rouge Noir!

on 12/2/2005 7:50:00 PM

beautiful maroon color. gorgeous packaging. kinda weird that the top screws off and a bit pricey. overall: excellent.

on 10/31/2005 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

It's nice, but not as wonderful as the hype would have you believe. As mentioned below, Mrs O'leary's BBQ by OPI is very similar. I love rich deep reds, and this one was nice. But I have others as nice for far less money. And very slow drying. Just not a HG for me.

on 10/26/2005 8:39:00 AM

Finally caved and tried this much-raved about color after previously trying and liking Essie Wicked. Vamp is a gorgeous, blackened-red with an underlying purplish tone. Similar to Wicked, but I think I like Vamp a little more. I also hope that Chanel does not chip as quickly as Essie, my biggest gripe with the Essie line. As with Wicked and any other dark color, you have to take your time and apply thin coats, but your patience will pay off...Vamp is such a classy color and perfect for these colder winter months.

I love this color. It is both sexy and classy. You need to use a base and top coat with this. Dark colors do not last as well and any error can be seen a mile away.
This shade looks best on short, rounded, well manicured nails anything to long could possibly be translated as trashy.
Alas I think OPI has come up with a great sub for this shade. Mrs's O'Learys BBQ. Check it out!