Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF45

3.6

Active Ingredients: Avobenzene 3%, Homosalate 10%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 2.8%, Oxybenzone 6% Inactive Ingredients: water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Silica, Diethylhexyl 2,6-Napthalate, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Dimethicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Caprylyl Methicone, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexyl Stearate, BHT, Glyceryl Stearate, Peg-100 Stearate, Trideceth-6, Behenyl Alcohol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Sodium Polyacrylate, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben, Fragrance (1220-046)

on 8/2/2011 4:31:00 AM

I love this sun block, it's the best I've used. The best part is that it's not greasy at all and does not create a white cast when taking flash photography. Also this doesn't clog my pores at all. I tend to have an oily T-zone and this controls it fairly well. The only thing I might note is that if you tend to have dry or patchy skin you might not like this product. if you do have a dry patch it tends to emphasize it. Aside form this, I highly recommend it.

on 7/12/2011 11:03:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I used to LOVE this product, but they've recently changed the formula... it seems too strong and irritating now, and it also doesn't blend in very well. leaves me with white streaks and i just look pale. The new one has the black neutrogena label, while the old one is with the blue (as in the picture).
I really wish they didn't change the formula... I might switch to spf 30 since the medical ingredients in that are a bit lower.

on 5/28/2011 3:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I used the Ultra Sheer SPF 30 for a little while and absolutely loved everything about it, until I realized it wasn't photostable. :( There went my hopes of finally finding the perfect daily sunscreen!
So I went and purchased the SPF 45 which is photostable, and while I do like it it also isn't the best sunscreen I've used.
with the SPF 30 I could use the full 1/4 tsp needed for my face WITHOUT it getting greasy. With the SPF 45 I'll use 1/4 tsp and my face ends up feeling very heavy and slick. It does "mattify" itself after about 10 minutes but it's nowhere near as mattifying as the SPF 30, i still end up looking slightly greasy.
The sunscreen does tend to puddle around fine lines, i've noticed it when i apply under my eyes.
The biggest con, which isn't THAT big a deal but still annoying, is how much I have to rub it in. It is really streaky and patchy.
Other than some really minor cons, this is a good, solid sunscreen. Do I like using it? Not really. But it does the job!

on 4/23/2011 6:59:00 PM

This stuff really does what it claims, It has a dry touch, it doesn't feel greasy or oily.

I've veery oily skin !! I actually had acne a year a go, so I really wanted a sunblock like this one!! I'm very happy I gave it a try ;) !

on 4/8/2011 8:30:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

update 5/2011 -- Downgraded this from 5 stars to 3 because it simply cannot hack a day at the pool. I don't burn very easily, and have never, ever gotten a sunburn on my face when I've remembered sunscreen (my nose gets pink from repeated, daily exposure, but the rest of my face is typically fine). 2 hours at the pool with 1 reapplication and I have an intolerably pink face. Great as a daily running around sunscreen, but I've used much better SS's for dedicated outside time, and none have been more than SPF 30. I'll use this up as a daily summer sunscreen, but will probably hold off on repurchasing on the off chance I can find something that works well both daily and when I'm out in the sun for prolonged periods.

I've been using this for several months as a regular, daily, out-and-about sunscreen, on top of my Origins Brighter By Nature SPF35 moisturizer. I live in the US southeast and, particularly in the summer, need a higher SPF, lest I go through the season with a perpetually red nose. The only other sunscreen I have ever been able to use, comfortably and without eventual greaseface, while going about my normal daily activities, was the Origins Out Smart. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch reminds me of Out Smart, only you get more product with a higher SPF for less money--and it's locally available. I love it. I will say that it does make my t-zone a weeeeeee bit shiny, but that's typically at the end of long day, and after getting innumerable hours of excellent wear out of it. It is slightly mattifying on my mostly normal (oily when aggrivated) skin, though not excessively so. It just has a really nice finish. So nice, in fact, that I usually don't bother with a tinted moisturizer when I use this, because although it (obviously) does nothing for redness, it just gives such a nice finish that I don't mind being a bit more pink than normal. I will say, however, that on the rare occasions I have used my TM, it wore normally--no pilling or sliding around. I generally don't like dedicated sunscreens because they almost always cause a pinchy, red reaction on my very sensitive skin. With this, there is no pinching, no redness, no excessive oiliness, no breakouts. And it just feels nice--like I've got nothing on my skin. I'll definitely repurchase.

on 2/23/2011 7:58:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I used to use the same product with an SPF of 100, and frequently felt I had gotten it in my eyes, because the product melted and ran. So, without any other choices (because it's winter, and many retailers (and people) think you don't need sunscreen in the wintertime; believe me, we all do), I last bought the SPF 45. Every day, my eyes are inflamed and irritated, even when I only use this product from under my eyes (but between the eyebrows) down to my chin. My eyes water and itch, and no eyedrops (Systane, for instance) seem to help. Last week, I had a really bad case of conjunctivitis, or a cold in my eye, which took prescription medication to treat. My eyes are still bad, although I seem to be cured of the conjunctivitis. I am going to look for a different manufacturer for sunscreen. This is too bad, because I've always believed that Neutrogena is the best skin care manufacturer there is. Maybe so, but I can't use it. If I stop using it and my eyes continue to be inflamed, I'll write another review, but right now I'm not a happy camper!

on 1/24/2011 11:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

so i decided to start wearing sunscreen since i heard it helps protect your skin from UV rays, cancer, dark spots, etc,etc.. so i gave this a try and i guess this product just isn't for me. within two hours of wearing this i started getting an allergic reaction. i started getting these tiny bumps on my cheeks near my nose... my mom was like... why dyou have those lil bumps on your face? i'm like.. oh it's probably pimples.. and she was like.. no those are not pimples for sure.. did you put something on today? like sunscreen ? b/c it looks like you have an allergic reaction to something. so i was like.. omg -_-' it must be THIS. right after i washed my face and wiped it off ... MY SKIN returned back to normal within thirty minutes. WOULD DEF not be repurchasing. horrible product :(.

on 12/12/2010 11:50:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

As a sunblock this performs well. However...
* it left my face with a fairly white tinge to it, enough for people to know that there's something on my face
* when I start to sweat I have to keep checking to make sure that there are no little build up of the product on my face, I'm not sure how but I just kinda start to see little spots of white, I guess where I didn't rub it in enough. A problem since I live in a tropical country & go to the gym.
* It's not waterproof. At all. When I go into a pool or the beach, I can see the water dripping of my face with the product, little white droplets running down my face. Not cool.

on 9/10/2010 2:54:00 PM

The one pro of this sunscreen is that it does mattify your face. It feels almost like a primer and makes your makeup last longer. However, it was too harsh on my skin and made me break out after a few days of use. It also smells like chemicals. I would recommend testing this product on a small patch of skin before using it regularly on your face, as it seems that while many people tolerate it quite well, others are more sensitive. I will stick to my Clinique Cityblock!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Its just on spring so i figured i should wear a sunscreen but i didnt have any so i bought this one. It was about AU$17 which is pretty good for the size of the tube. It smelt quite nice and absorbed in about 15 seconds if that and my skin didnt look greasy or 'ghostly'
Pros: Mattifying, didn't give me pimples (which is a first for a sunscreen), my skin didnt burn (very fair skin in a very sunny area), my makeup didnt peel, made my skin feel pretty soft
Cons: my skin was kind of shiny by the end of the day
Overall i think this was a good one and i would try it if you have fair, acne prone or oily skin :)