December 20, 2014 | 1318 users online

Concealers - Kevyn Aucoin - The Sensual Skin Enhancer

rated 4 of 5 on 5/17/2013 4:36:00 PM More reviews by Hypnolove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've had this for a couple weeks. I'm anNC40 and SX08 is perfect. I like it so much I actually have TWO! I think it works better as a concealer than a foundation but that's fine because I have a problematic pigmented totally insane chin area that is totally at odds with the rest of my face which is totally fine. I basically use it to align my chin with my face and then powder over the whole lot and then spray with a setting spray. I love interesting packaging bcuz for me makeup is all abt the aesthetic and so the packaging on this is a little meh! But hey, that didn't stop me from buying two! Ps I apply with stippling brush or real techniques expert face brush which helps to AMAZING coverage. I like:)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2013 1:08:00 AM More reviews by jenzie92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I love love love this foundation! I was undecided whether I should buy it or not because it is pretty pricey! But the end I bought it and I'm so glad I did! I purchased mine for £36 from SpaceNK in the shade SX04. As a reference I am an NC20 in MAC. This shade has very strong yellow undertones which works for my light yellow skin. This foundation is a bit of a faff so I would not recommend it for those girls who like to get up and go! I have got my own way of applying this foundation. It had taken some work and some refining but I've got there in the end! I apply this foundation starting with a moisturiser. I use Boots No7 beautiful skin day cream. Over that, I apply a silicone primer which helps the SSE move across your face. I use GOSH velvet touch primer. Then I dab my finger in the pot and dot some product across my face. I then get my Revlon Colorstay in buff, and also dot that over my face, then spritzing my real techniques flawless face brush with Fix+, I start to buff both products in to my skin. After I finish buffing, I tap over the foundation with my fingers just to really melt in into my skin. I then apply the SSE as a concealer over the top, and set it all with Ben Nye Cameo loose powder and the result is amazing! Its a demi matte finish and it lasts all day! It is an incredibly pigmented product though so you don't need a lot believe me! I can see this product lasting me months! Thank you Kevyn Aucoin for creating such a miracle product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2013 3:35:00 PM More reviews by lfrueh

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I don't know why this is listed only as a concealer and not as a foundation, because that's it's best use as far as I'm concerned. Mix it with a blob of primer, moisturizer or luminizer and you get absolutely natural looking, satiny skin. It's so flexible, you can make it sheer or medium or even full coverage, but I find the last too cakey looking. That's why I don't like it as a concealer, even thinned out. Somehow it dries a bit more under my eyes, but all over the face & neck, it's absolutely fantastic. SX08 for NC35-ish slightly olive skin. It has a definite golden tone, which matches my skin perfectly.
Will rebuy forever :-)

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2013 10:04:00 AM More reviews by gingercurls

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product about three times a week for 4 months. I am happy to say that my very breakout and clog prone skin does not react poorly to this product and I have not broken out. You only need a dot or two of this product to cover your entire face. It sheers out nicely to be used as a foundation but also works well as a concealer. Just remember that this product is very full coverage and would probably not be ideal for someone who is looking for a more sheer foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2013 8:58:00 AM More reviews by MeganRoseLane

After reading all of the amazing reviews on this foundation I was beyond excited when It arrived in the post. I bought it in 08 which is perfect for me as I am an NC35/37 in MAC. It would definitely be too light in the Summer, but it works wonders when mixed with a thinner foundation or BB cream, so you could always mix it with a darker foundation rather than buying a new one.

The tub looks TINY for a foundation but you literally need a pea size amount to cover your entire face. I have found that mixing it with Estee Lauder double wear and a tiny amount of MAC Lustre drops (For a goldy shimmer) gives you the most flawless finish. Probably too heavy for the day, but perfect for a night out. (And it looks great under flash photography, no dreaded white mask face!!!)

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2013 10:33:00 AM More reviews by slove14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have been using this product since February of 2008 when I went into a Sephora and asked for a full coverage foundation (Sephora no longer carries it in-store, I use beauty.com to order it). I have light freckles and some red blotchy spots on my face that I wanted to cover up.

As soon as the lady put this foundation on my skin, I fell in love. It is wonderful. I use sx08 as my everyday foundation (yes, I know it's full coverage, but that's the look I'm going for). It leaves my skin looking flawless. If I were bold enough, I'd take a before and after picture just to show you how wonderfully it works. I use sx 06 as my concealer. I use it over top of my foundation under my eyes and to contour my nose. It's heavenly. I use this product everyday, multiple times a day and it still lasts me between 4-6 months depending upon the time of the year.

I would recommend using a setting powder after since it is creamy, it does tend to transfer. A setting powder helps alleviate this issue. I use Graftobian Pro Setting Powder in translucent. It works like a charm and is inexpensive--$6.49. Plus, it'll last forever.

This is the first and only review I've written on Makeup Alley, but it's a product that I feel so strongly about that I deemed it necessary. If you're undecided about whether or not to buy it, DO IT! I promise you won't regret it. :)

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2013 12:44:00 AM More reviews by itslindsey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This product...all I can say is wow. It's a HIGHLY pigmented, incredibly versatile concealer that you can use on its own as a concealer or a foundation, or, that you can add to your existing foundations/moisturizers/primers to customize the amount of coverage you need.

I work this into a tinted moisturizer and build it up over areas that need more coverage. My skin looks absolutely flawless and I don't feel like I have a ton of product caked on my face. I also mix it into a drop of my TM at a slightly higher concentration and use it to spot conceal and it works beautifully. The color I was matched to (SX07) is slightly too light for my skin tone (NW20); however, since I can get away with using so little of it at a time and because I'm mixing it with something that better matches my skin tone it's really not a problem.

You do have to spend a little time working with this product to get it just right, but once you do, the result is completely worth it. A tiny bit goes a long way, so even though it's a little pricey it will last you a while. This is a fantastic addition to my makeup collection.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2013 11:28:00 AM More reviews by ivanabacowboy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am NW25-30ish and shade SX09 is my match. I really like this product! It is essentially pure oil-based pigment. One tiny tiny little pot contains enough for years worth of uses-seriously. All you need to do an entire face in full foundation mode is smaller than the size of a grain of rice-closer to the size of a pinhead (for real!). Do NOT plop this out in an "average pump size" blob to work with-that will be enough to not only do your entire face but that of 15 of your closest relatives, 2 of your neighbors and 5 miscellaneous other people you meet while walking down the street.

Now for some advice. This is not a "slap it on and go" product. You need to work with it, to blend it, buff it. But the payoff is absolute smooth pure coverage perfection!

This product can be used as either a spot concealer (I like to use it on my "no foundation" days since I have fairly good skin just to even out skin tone), or as a full on foundation. This product can be sheered out with a lotion or primer to use but a caution-as this is an oil-based product, do not attempt to thin it with a water based product (oil and water do not mix!), you need to use an oil-based lotion or primer (Hourglass No. 28 Serum Primer works well for this!). This is a bit heavy for "undereye" concealer unless you sheer it out signficantly.

My skin is mostly dry and loves this product. I have heard that it tends to slide off of oilier skins but obviously I cannot confirm that-so definitely try before you buy if you have oilier skin.

And this is definitely a try in person product to get a color match. Some of the undertones are neutral/beige, some are yellowish and some are pinkish. You may or may not have an exact match or need to mix.

39 out of 42 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2012 11:52:00 AM More reviews by greymattergirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have this in shades 01 and 03. I bought it to use as a foundation, and sometime concealer. Well I could say a lot about this product, it is VERY versatile for sure. I will warn that if your not fairly experianced with MU application, this might be a bit tricky, I wouldnt reccomend for begginners. I have tried this several ways..Ive used just the product with a damp beauty blender, Ive tried it with moisturizer to sheer it out, Ive tried with various brushes both damp and dry, and with fingertips. It provides anywhere from the sheerest coverage to the most full of coverages. So far my absolute favorite method has been to mix on the back of my hand, (so it warms a bit) a SMALL dab of the SSE with a pump of Smashbox Primer, and a small, maybe 1/4 pump of BECCA Skin Perfecting Lotion, the lightest shade, Pearl, I think is the color. I mix those with a cotton swab and then apply with a damp Real Techniques Stippiling brush..starting where I need the most coverage, which for me is my cheeks..then blend out. Then, if I need more coverage where my broken cappalaries* are, I just swipe a small bit more of the SSE on my hand, swirl the stippiling brush in it, and buff over the area in need. I find this provides the effect I desire. For me, I doubt I will get this to work as a foundation in any other way unless mixed with a primer. It just works better on my skin this way. I had given up on the Smashbox primer and had it stored under my bathroom sink for ages..luckily its found new life when mixed with the SSE, so thats a plus, at least I can find a use for it now. When I dont use the primer mixed in with it, I find this used as a foundation, for me, sits on top of the skin, transfers, and fades fairly quickily around the nose and chin. It also seemed to settle into lines more than I would have liked. I dont have oily skin for the most part, and even with a primer used underneath, I didnt find this had a very long wear time, even when powdered. In fact it looks quite crappy as it fades away..very patchy, and just blah. It seems to work better for my skin type actually mixed with a primer. That being said, for those that dont have difficult skin like mine, I think this could very well be a HG product, keeping in mind the fact that you may have to try it several different ways, and with different mediums to see what works for you. Dont give up on it if you get it and it doesnt seem to work. Play with it, try things you never thought of..I had this for almost a year before I tried it with the primer and the Becca. Every few months it would pop back into my head and I would think, well I wonder what will happen if I try it with this..or with this brush etc. Try different ratios to moisturizer, primers, or even other foundations. I will not repurchase this product because having 2 shades will last me the rest of my life, lol..I will never be able to use all of it up, even if I used it everyday. So dont let the price put you off, you deffo get your money's worth..yes it is a small container, but its so highly pigmented that you use such a tiny amount, its practically infininte. I do enjoy this product, it can be used in so many ways, for so many different coverages, mixed with diffrent products you can create multiple effects, so that makes it fun to use. I still discover new ways to try it all the time. Its a great concealer as well, but may not be stunning on dry patches for some people. It also has a perfume smell..old ladyish if you ask me. I dont like the smell, but I dont notice it after application, and I have a pretty sensitive nose. All in all I think its a pretty good product. I would reccomend it..its a good piece to have in your collection, the versatility alone makes it worth it. Not a HG for me, but so fun to play with, and so nice to have something should I ever need very full coverage for some reason. A great multi-tasking product. I say if your on the fence about this product, go for it! At the very least you will get a lifetimes worth of concealer out of it. I think next I will try this as an under foundation color corrector, Ive heard that it can help if you have a foundation that is to dark or light by adding it as a complexion corrector first, then adding the foundation of your choice..obviously you would need to sheer it down or you would be hella cakey looking. I have several foundations a shade or 2 to dark, so I will see if using this sheered in shade 01 will help make those foundations work for my pale skin. A learning curve, yes..but a fun one if you love makeup. :))

20 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2012 5:15:00 PM More reviews by seacolourr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This product is truly amazing. It is a great versatile concealer. I really like using it pre foundation and concealer to even out my skin tone and help the foundation stick exactly where I need it to. It's also my HG under the eye concealer. It will not crease all day as long as you set it right away. So amazing. Great color range too. It's great to find a line that caters to super pale, as well as super deep skin tones.

Overall this product is amazing and has so many uses. Can be used to even out skin tone pre makeup, as concealer, or even foundation! I will always have this in my makeup bag!