Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer

4.1

Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Polybutene, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Polyethylene, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Calcium Carbonate, Dextrin Palmitate, Honey, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Beeswax (Apis Mellifera), Butylene Glycol, Cholesterol, Lecithin, Talc, Triethylhexanoin, Methylparaben, Fragrance (parfum), May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

on 2/5/2014 7:56:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I really wanted to love the SSE, but at this point I just can't...

I should note however, that I was so pleased to be able to find a shade (SX01) that matches my skin PERFECTLY (it can be difficult to find a shade that works for my particular kind of neutral pale), and over all, I think the packaging is good.
Despite the hefty price tag, you don't need to use much product at all, so I think ultimately it's quite cost effective because considering how little you need, there is TONS of product in the small pot.

Now, the unfortunate part:
I wanted a concealer that would specifically cover blemishes - bonus if it worked under eyes as well, but not strictly necessary. This formula is extremely thick and tacky to the touch, so I assumed it would be pretty good at doing what it says and CONCEALING blemishes. Sadly, it highlighted them more than anything else.
It took me SO much effort to blend, despite trying multiple forms of application. I've put it on a bare face, on a moisturised face, over primer, mixed with primer, over foundation, under foundation, applied with my hands, a brush, a sponge, stippling, wiping, dabbing, etc. and despite ALL of this, I can't for the life of me get it to blend decently - it always looks like its quite obviously sitting on my skin. Under the eyes, it failed to conceal darkness even slightly and settled into fine lines like a magnet, on blemishes, it took several layers to mask discolouration and even then, caked and peeled off. After application it looked decent (if you can say that) for about half an hour before It clung to all dry patches on my face, highlighting them something fierce!

I don't know if it's my dry skin that doesn't agreed with the SSE, if it doesn't work in conjunction with another product I use and I just haven't figured out which one yet, or if it's the climate I live in, but I just cannot, for love nor money, get the SSE to work for me. I'm so disappointed! I will keep it, and give it another chance when I move eventually (going from a humid climate back to a bone dry one), and see if I can't get it to cooperate, but at this point, I don't use it and I would definitely not repurchase.

on 1/25/2014 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I recently bought this product on sale at Nordstrom rack I had been looking for a foundation that was pigmented enough to last through my day of work. Since I live in South Florida there are days when makeup melts off of your face just from walking or driving around in the heat. I read the reviews here and on amazon and decided to try it. Well it's an amazing product if you learn how to apply it properly. I usually mix it with Clinique sunblock 50 SPF. It gives a very natural finish which depends I suppose on the primer or moisturizer you use.
The price is in the high side but you only use a small amount

on 12/31/2013 4:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

Decided to give this a try because it's a cult fave...I'm underwhelmed. I don't think it's a bad product, just not for me. I tried this on in SX13 at New London Pharmacy in Chelsea and had to have it. NW42-45 for ref. Wore it out and later on that evening my boyfriend said that he could see it on my skin in certain lighting (mainly fluorescent) in spite of my very sparing application. It also doesn't photograph well on me because I only like to conceal what is necessary, so I always have light spots on my face in flash photos. I have always been difficult to match for foundations so I'm sure this product could be a hit for someone with an easier skin tone to match. The product is super concentrated so use very sparingly and only on freshly moisturized skin. On a positive note the beautiful sturdy packaging has held up well in my makeup bag and looks a good as when I bought it.

on 12/28/2013 11:30:00 AM

Not sure about this one. For the price I honestly don't think it's worth it. From one of the few times I've wanted to use it it clinged to any dry patches i had and didn't cover well enough for me and I don't really expect THAT much. this just really didn't cut it. I'm so so so annoyed I bought this! There is much better out there!

on 12/22/2013 7:20:00 AM

I had read so many good reviews about this product but unfortunately it hasn't worked for me. I think it's possibly one of the worst products I have ever used. It smells awful and the smell seems to linger. It doesn't cover my hyper pigmentation or acne very well. It clings to any dry patches and seems to "highlight" my blemishes rather than conceal them! Try before you buy- don't be like me!

on 12/14/2013 3:20:00 AM

I have combination fair skin. I bought it in shade number sx 03, even though i am too fair for most of the foundations. Gossmakeup artist told it was an amazing product, but when i bought it, i was disapointed. It was too thick to work with, too dry. I read some posts, and started to mix with a huge amount of a moisturizer ( Neutrogena Helthy Defense daily moisturizer spf 50). Then i dab it with a fingertips on the centre of the fase, to cover red vains and undereye darkness. This way it works amazing! I am not telling about the economy of the product. It's coverege power level can't beat the price! The pot is nice and elegant, and the smell is really "expencive", like Shiseido's Benefician's eye cream.

on 12/6/2013 11:05:00 PM

I love this product as a concealer. As an older woman, my skin looks best with a liquid foundation. Rimmel or L'oreal. I use #7 and 11, blending with my fingers. #11 for a big melasma which is so hard to mask. Kevyn researched Geisha makeup, as he was intrigued with the smooth flawless look. I would buy again. It lasts forever, so I may not outlive the pots of concealer.

on 10/12/2013 9:40:00 AM

Excellent product, but probably wouldn't re-purchase. It's everything you want in a concealer (why is what I use it for); a little pot of creamy, pigmented product that covers flaws instantly. I have SX05 and I'm a MAC NC20. I love the product, however I find that I don't really reach for it as much as my other concealers - purely due to laziness and having to scoop out the product from the pot takes about 15 seconds longer than using, say a little doe-foot applicator on the back of my hand. Otherwise, I'd totally recommend if you are looking for a highly pigmented, compact cream to use as a concealer or foundation pigment.

on 10/11/2013 1:15:00 PM

This foundation is fab If you know how to work it!!. I've had it for quite a few months and never used it but it's only recently I fished it back out and tried it again. Firstly I would say use a rich moisturiser and don't let it soak into the skin. I then dab Nars tinted moisturiser in blobs onto my skin (after primer). I get my sigma f80 brush an dip slightly into the pot then blend and buff onto my skin over the t.m. If I need extra coverage i get a small amount onto my finger and tap onto the skin and the warmth of my fingers melts it into the skin. Fab finish and perfect coverage!!! :)

on 9/22/2013 1:11:00 PM

I am a fair asian who is apparently not as yellow as you would think. I use sx06. I tap the product with a fingertip and tap the colour onto moisturised skin while it's still "sticky". Excellent coverage of redness. Very good as a concealer but I deduct a star here as it doesn't cover circles 100%. I'd say it was 70%. It certainly lasts a day in the office and doesn't change colour or cake.
Very pigmented, wears well, lots of colours.