July 24, 2014 | 1258 users online

Concealers - Kevyn Aucoin - The Sensual Skin Enhancer

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2013 10:33:00 AM More reviews by slove14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have been using this product since February of 2008 when I went into a Sephora and asked for a full coverage foundation (Sephora no longer carries it in-store, I use beauty.com to order it). I have light freckles and some red blotchy spots on my face that I wanted to cover up.

As soon as the lady put this foundation on my skin, I fell in love. It is wonderful. I use sx08 as my everyday foundation (yes, I know it's full coverage, but that's the look I'm going for). It leaves my skin looking flawless. If I were bold enough, I'd take a before and after picture just to show you how wonderfully it works. I use sx 06 as my concealer. I use it over top of my foundation under my eyes and to contour my nose. It's heavenly. I use this product everyday, multiple times a day and it still lasts me between 4-6 months depending upon the time of the year.

I would recommend using a setting powder after since it is creamy, it does tend to transfer. A setting powder helps alleviate this issue. I use Graftobian Pro Setting Powder in translucent. It works like a charm and is inexpensive--$6.49. Plus, it'll last forever.

This is the first and only review I've written on Makeup Alley, but it's a product that I feel so strongly about that I deemed it necessary. If you're undecided about whether or not to buy it, DO IT! I promise you won't regret it. :)

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2013 12:44:00 AM More reviews by itslindsey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This product...all I can say is wow. It's a HIGHLY pigmented, incredibly versatile concealer that you can use on its own as a concealer or a foundation, or, that you can add to your existing foundations/moisturizers/primers to customize the amount of coverage you need.

I work this into a tinted moisturizer and build it up over areas that need more coverage. My skin looks absolutely flawless and I don't feel like I have a ton of product caked on my face. I also mix it into a drop of my TM at a slightly higher concentration and use it to spot conceal and it works beautifully. The color I was matched to (SX07) is slightly too light for my skin tone (NW20); however, since I can get away with using so little of it at a time and because I'm mixing it with something that better matches my skin tone it's really not a problem.

You do have to spend a little time working with this product to get it just right, but once you do, the result is completely worth it. A tiny bit goes a long way, so even though it's a little pricey it will last you a while. This is a fantastic addition to my makeup collection.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2013 11:28:00 AM More reviews by ivanabacowboy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am NW25-30ish and shade SX09 is my match. I really like this product! It is essentially pure oil-based pigment. One tiny tiny little pot contains enough for years worth of uses-seriously. All you need to do an entire face in full foundation mode is smaller than the size of a grain of rice-closer to the size of a pinhead (for real!). Do NOT plop this out in an "average pump size" blob to work with-that will be enough to not only do your entire face but that of 15 of your closest relatives, 2 of your neighbors and 5 miscellaneous other people you meet while walking down the street.

Now for some advice. This is not a "slap it on and go" product. You need to work with it, to blend it, buff it. But the payoff is absolute smooth pure coverage perfection!

This product can be used as either a spot concealer (I like to use it on my "no foundation" days since I have fairly good skin just to even out skin tone), or as a full on foundation. This product can be sheered out with a lotion or primer to use but a caution-as this is an oil-based product, do not attempt to thin it with a water based product (oil and water do not mix!), you need to use an oil-based lotion or primer (Hourglass No. 28 Serum Primer works well for this!). This is a bit heavy for "undereye" concealer unless you sheer it out signficantly.

My skin is mostly dry and loves this product. I have heard that it tends to slide off of oilier skins but obviously I cannot confirm that-so definitely try before you buy if you have oilier skin.

And this is definitely a try in person product to get a color match. Some of the undertones are neutral/beige, some are yellowish and some are pinkish. You may or may not have an exact match or need to mix.

36 out of 39 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2012 11:52:00 AM More reviews by greymattergirl

I have this in shades 01 and 03. I bought it to use as a foundation, and sometime concealer. Well I could say a lot about this product, it is VERY versatile for sure. I will warn that if your not fairly experianced with MU application, this might be a bit tricky, I wouldnt reccomend for begginners. I have tried this several ways..Ive used just the product with a damp beauty blender, Ive tried it with moisturizer to sheer it out, Ive tried with various brushes both damp and dry, and with fingertips. It provides anywhere from the sheerest coverage to the most full of coverages. So far my absolute favorite method has been to mix on the back of my hand, (so it warms a bit) a SMALL dab of the SSE with a pump of Smashbox Primer, and a small, maybe 1/4 pump of BECCA Skin Perfecting Lotion, the lightest shade, Pearl, I think is the color. I mix those with a cotton swab and then apply with a damp Real Techniques Stippiling brush..starting where I need the most coverage, which for me is my cheeks..then blend out. Then, if I need more coverage where my broken cappalaries* are, I just swipe a small bit more of the SSE on my hand, swirl the stippiling brush in it, and buff over the area in need. I find this provides the effect I desire. For me, I doubt I will get this to work as a foundation in any other way unless mixed with a primer. It just works better on my skin this way. I had given up on the Smashbox primer and had it stored under my bathroom sink for ages..luckily its found new life when mixed with the SSE, so thats a plus, at least I can find a use for it now. When I dont use the primer mixed in with it, I find this used as a foundation, for me, sits on top of the skin, transfers, and fades fairly quickily around the nose and chin. It also seemed to settle into lines more than I would have liked. I dont have oily skin for the most part, and even with a primer used underneath, I didnt find this had a very long wear time, even when powdered. In fact it looks quite crappy as it fades away..very patchy, and just blah. It seems to work better for my skin type actually mixed with a primer. That being said, for those that dont have difficult skin like mine, I think this could very well be a HG product, keeping in mind the fact that you may have to try it several different ways, and with different mediums to see what works for you. Dont give up on it if you get it and it doesnt seem to work. Play with it, try things you never thought of..I had this for almost a year before I tried it with the primer and the Becca. Every few months it would pop back into my head and I would think, well I wonder what will happen if I try it with this..or with this brush etc. Try different ratios to moisturizer, primers, or even other foundations. I will not repurchase this product because having 2 shades will last me the rest of my life, lol..I will never be able to use all of it up, even if I used it everyday. So dont let the price put you off, you deffo get your money's worth..yes it is a small container, but its so highly pigmented that you use such a tiny amount, its practically infininte. I do enjoy this product, it can be used in so many ways, for so many different coverages, mixed with diffrent products you can create multiple effects, so that makes it fun to use. I still discover new ways to try it all the time. Its a great concealer as well, but may not be stunning on dry patches for some people. It also has a perfume smell..old ladyish if you ask me. I dont like the smell, but I dont notice it after application, and I have a pretty sensitive nose. All in all I think its a pretty good product. I would reccomend it..its a good piece to have in your collection, the versatility alone makes it worth it. Not a HG for me, but so fun to play with, and so nice to have something should I ever need very full coverage for some reason. A great multi-tasking product. I say if your on the fence about this product, go for it! At the very least you will get a lifetimes worth of concealer out of it. I think next I will try this as an under foundation color corrector, Ive heard that it can help if you have a foundation that is to dark or light by adding it as a complexion corrector first, then adding the foundation of your choice..obviously you would need to sheer it down or you would be hella cakey looking. I have several foundations a shade or 2 to dark, so I will see if using this sheered in shade 01 will help make those foundations work for my pale skin. A learning curve, yes..but a fun one if you love makeup. :))

19 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2012 5:15:00 PM More reviews by seacolourr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This product is truly amazing. It is a great versatile concealer. I really like using it pre foundation and concealer to even out my skin tone and help the foundation stick exactly where I need it to. It's also my HG under the eye concealer. It will not crease all day as long as you set it right away. So amazing. Great color range too. It's great to find a line that caters to super pale, as well as super deep skin tones.

Overall this product is amazing and has so many uses. Can be used to even out skin tone pre makeup, as concealer, or even foundation! I will always have this in my makeup bag!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2012 12:11:00 AM More reviews by HunterGray

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have an admittedly massive collection, but this is one of the rare items I use every single time I do my makeup. I was a bit skeptical about this, but after reading dozens of reviews, and watching a ton of youtube videos about how to use it, I bought a pot from Dermstore. The lovely ladies here on the makeup boards directed me to shade 3, which is a perfect match for my (quite yellow toned) NC15 skin.

I've tried quite a few different methods of getting this to work for me as a foundation, but I haven't found one that works well enough to make it worth the effort of mixing ingredients. Where I've found this product really shines is as a blemish concealer. At least for me. I still experiment from time to time with different things to use this as a foundation, and if I find something I really love, I'll update this review.

This is the most full coverage, but natural looking, concealer I have ever come across. The pot is small for the amount you pay, but it takes such a little bit that it'll easily last you years. I use this after foundation. Wherever a blemish or post-acne mark is showing through, I'll put a tiny dot of the SSE on it. And I mean tiny. I use a fine liner brush to put the smallest dot right in the center of the area I want to conceal, and then I tap it with my finger to blend it out. I've used a Beauty Blender to do this, but I find that the warmth of my finger really helps to melt it into my skin and make it look super natural. I find that this stays put decently well, but if I want it to really be long wearing, I'll mix it with the tiniest bit of foundation like Estee Lauder Double Wear, or Revlon Colorstay. This doesn't work that well as an undereye concealer for me, but again, that could just be an issue of what I'm mixing it with. The really awesome thing about this product is just how customizable it is to your individual needs. You can sheer it out as much as you want, or wear it full strength for incredible coverage.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2012 2:45:00 PM More reviews by scunagorelik

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really love this. I feel like an alchemist whipping together a beauty potion. I like mixing this with moisturizer or primer and apply using the Elf powder brush. I saw this method done beautifully on Youtube by Camiloveskiwi. This method worked very well for me as well. I'm a shade 7 even though MAC MUA's have told me that I'm an NC40 (with which I disagree). I don't understand why MAC SA's always tell me I'm darker than I actually am. I'm fair to medium and the KA shade 7 is perfect. This doesn't slide down my face after hours of wear either (unlike all MAC foundations).

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2012 6:29:00 PM More reviews by lipstickpowderpaint

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love this...despite the crazy price.

I bought it in space.nk and the mua demonstrated mixing it with primer or moisturiser. After some trial and error, my favoured technique is to put a tiny blob on the back of my hand, along with a blob of primer. Using a foundation brush, I mix a bit of the product into the primer and brush all over my face. I then pull in the remainder of the product blob to what's left of the primer mix and use that under my eyes and around my nose as a concealer. As i do with all foundations, i then smooth over with my fingers, and set with loose powder

If I'm being a perfectionist, I'll use a foundation brush and a concealer brush. If I'm in a hurry, I'll just use my finger tips, though I prefer not to stick my fingers in the pot for hygiene.

I find it really fast to apply, especially as I'm doing primer, foundation and concealer at the same time. It really is all my foundation needs in one tiny pot and is as sheer or as full coverage as I want it to be. The pot will clearly last for a vey long time.

Most importantly, it looks great. My dark circles are hidden and my complexion looks flawless, which it ain't. I find it adheres really well and lasts brilliantly. I'm utterly sold.

As an aside, I'm really pleased that this range has been relaunched. I remember being appalled when I saw the cheap and nasty looking stuff on sale when I lived in New York a few years ago. The UK prices do make my eyes water, but I'm happy that the products and packaging are now worthy of the Kevyn Aucoin name.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/29/2012 4:18:00 AM More reviews by MyMajesty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am so sorry I have to say this, but this concealer is a totally miss for me. I was very enthusiastic to try this "baby", I paied a lot of money for it and it was a huge dissapointment. First of all: yes, it covers very well but the effect is very unnatural and it cakes through the day. It also sets into fine lines and pores, which is awful!
Can I also say that it broke me out like crazy? I have patches on my face where I never ever broked out in my whole life. Well, after applying this stupid product, the next day my forehead was full of tiny whiteheads. I am so sorry Kevyn..., but I will stick to my beloved MUFE Full Cover Concealer which is way way waaaay better!

6 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2012 8:10:00 PM More reviews by Embeth3

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

THIS, this is a little pot of magic. After much research and debate, I took a chance and ordered SX07 sight unseen from Strawberrynet as KA is impossible to get in NZ and not even Myer in Sydney has the full range (the mascara is fab, BTW).
I have light medium, yellow based skin tone and this is pretty close to perfect, Dior Nude Glow in 021 Linen is slightly paler but in the same ballpark as far as tone goes.
OK so, the pot is very small, 18g of product in what looks like a lip gloss pot. The container itself is classy and well made a simple black composite tub with a plastic lined (metal?) burgundy screw cap. Simple, easy to use and functional. Very nice.
Product - thick, slightly goopy looking but stiff, pigmented like whoa. You only need a very small amount to get full coverage, I'd advise using a slightly damp rubicell sponge or dense foundation brush to apply (blend, BLEND!) if you want absolute max coverage but I have found mixing a fingertip dab of SSE on the edge of my palm (to help warm it) with a blob of BB cream or sheer foundation gives the best result. I've applied with both fingers and an angled foundation brush, both work fine but good blending is IMPERATIVE. This "sets" reasonably quickly so you don't have time to faff about but within a couple of minutes, it's looks smooth, natural and lasts all day (I use a primer but YMMV).
Used as a concealer - amazing! I use a teeny tiny (like a pin prick amount, we're talking microscopic here people) on the every end of a fine tapered tip brush, sweep lightly to apply and then dab with a fingertip to blend. I mostly use this as a concealer over tinted moisturizer or a BB cream and it looks very natural as long as it is blended in.
I have also successfully mixed a blob into a foundation that was a tad too pink and light for me and it has given it a much better tone and more coverage (it did require some fairly heavy duty shaking to mix and it was a reasonably thick consistency to begin with, I wouldn't attempt it with a very fluid matrix).
So, not a one step, cure everything, all in one miracle product (what is?!) but it is very effective and extremely versatile (this and a tube of BB cream can give at least three different levels of coverage, no need for an extra concealer either) and be used to customize the perfect foundation if you're willing to experiment a little and find out what works best for you.
Great for traveling, can be mixed with SPF, moisturizer (tinted or not), BB cream, other foundation, etc, lasts very well and has an amazingly natural "skin like" finish.
Definitely worth it for me!

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No