April 20, 2014 | 1692 users online

Concealers - Kevyn Aucoin - The Sensual Skin Enhancer

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2012 8:10:00 PM More reviews by Embeth3

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

THIS, this is a little pot of magic. After much research and debate, I took a chance and ordered SX07 sight unseen from Strawberrynet as KA is impossible to get in NZ and not even Myer in Sydney has the full range (the mascara is fab, BTW).
I have light medium, yellow based skin tone and this is pretty close to perfect, Dior Nude Glow in 021 Linen is slightly paler but in the same ballpark as far as tone goes.
OK so, the pot is very small, 18g of product in what looks like a lip gloss pot. The container itself is classy and well made a simple black composite tub with a plastic lined (metal?) burgundy screw cap. Simple, easy to use and functional. Very nice.
Product - thick, slightly goopy looking but stiff, pigmented like whoa. You only need a very small amount to get full coverage, I'd advise using a slightly damp rubicell sponge or dense foundation brush to apply (blend, BLEND!) if you want absolute max coverage but I have found mixing a fingertip dab of SSE on the edge of my palm (to help warm it) with a blob of BB cream or sheer foundation gives the best result. I've applied with both fingers and an angled foundation brush, both work fine but good blending is IMPERATIVE. This "sets" reasonably quickly so you don't have time to faff about but within a couple of minutes, it's looks smooth, natural and lasts all day (I use a primer but YMMV).
Used as a concealer - amazing! I use a teeny tiny (like a pin prick amount, we're talking microscopic here people) on the every end of a fine tapered tip brush, sweep lightly to apply and then dab with a fingertip to blend. I mostly use this as a concealer over tinted moisturizer or a BB cream and it looks very natural as long as it is blended in.
I have also successfully mixed a blob into a foundation that was a tad too pink and light for me and it has given it a much better tone and more coverage (it did require some fairly heavy duty shaking to mix and it was a reasonably thick consistency to begin with, I wouldn't attempt it with a very fluid matrix).
So, not a one step, cure everything, all in one miracle product (what is?!) but it is very effective and extremely versatile (this and a tube of BB cream can give at least three different levels of coverage, no need for an extra concealer either) and be used to customize the perfect foundation if you're willing to experiment a little and find out what works best for you.
Great for traveling, can be mixed with SPF, moisturizer (tinted or not), BB cream, other foundation, etc, lasts very well and has an amazingly natural "skin like" finish.
Definitely worth it for me!

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2012 5:20:00 PM More reviews by goldenbrown

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

:) hello, just wanted to say that having researched this product it has no acne causing or irritating ingredients in the first 8 listed (first 8 being the highest amount, thus most important :)).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2012 9:44:00 AM More reviews by BizzyBunny

I have sx 03 and 07. I use 07 the yellower tone to help with undereye circles and 03 as a foundation face concealer. It is a wonderful product- super pigmented and there is a learning curve to this product--so the instant gratification ppl wont like this at all, but the makeup mavens will LOVE the results. Ive found nothing better that covers imperfections.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2012 9:16:00 AM More reviews by Euniqued

Still quite on the fence about this product to be honest.

It works quite well as a concealer, however not on the occasional cystic acne as others have mentioned - it highlights flakes and dry skin around those areas, making it look worse and it doesn't cover up the redness very much.

However, it covers pores if you work it into your skin well enough, and looks quite good as a product to just throw on if you don't want a full face of foundation (ie. like a concealer, but better).

I wish I could make it work as a foundation however as it's so thick I'd be reluctant to try just in case it broke me out.

I'm in SX8 and MAC 25-30 for reference. It doesn't slip off throughout the day although does get slightly oily around my T-zone, which is nothing new for my combination skin.

Worth a try, however I wouldn't expect miracles

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2012 8:35:00 AM More reviews by CandyRain9247

I bought it off strawberrynet, but it is still expensive but nowhere near as expensive as ByTerry or even Chanel or YSL.

I have been on the hunt for a foundation that would go well with my skin (normal to dry), would look perfect and natural on me, with the perfect match to my skintone, and one without an SPF or even a small amount of SPF.

Ladies and gentlemen... THIS IS IT!!

I heard a lot of rave reviews of this product. I first saw it in gossmakeupartist's channel on youtube. Because I trust him and his opinions, so I thought I'd have a go at it.

I went and have a look at Mecca Cosmetica (it's practically like Australia's Sephora store) because Myers nor David Jones stocked his brand. Unfortunately they don't stock the sensual enhancer despite them stocking some of Kevyn Aucoin's beauty products.

So I went to chase it in strawberrynet.

I had to choose VERY VERY carefully which shade I would go for. I was stuck with either SX8 or SX11. After a few research, I went with SX11. My undereye concealer from MAC was an NC35. So I thought that I would be an NC 40 with heavy gold undertones.

omg it was perfect!! I could not believe it.

Now why would I want something without an SPF?

I barely go out and soak myself in the sun. I love the outdoors but as a Law student, I'm stuck at home studying or out in the University library.

It was a good thing I watched youtube videos about this product because if I didn't know what I know now, I would hate this product.

The best way to apply this would be using a beauty blender.

I take a very VERY small amount, since it's so pigmented, the size of a grain of rice and dot it carefully and evenly around my face.

Now this foundation/concealer takes a long process of blending but trust me it is worth it. It would give you a photoshopped look.

I then dab it with my damp beauty blender sponge and push it into the skin. DON'T drag the sponge. You have to use pushing and dabbing motions to get the perfect application.

Trust me, you only need the tiniest amount!

I am buying another one to stock up just in case this gets discontinued :P

I am never buying another foundation again. NEVER EVER!!

This comes in such a small pot that I can just use pop it in my hand bag and bring my beauty blender sponge, which I can use for practically any formula and beauty product.

I love this and my beauty blender!!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

20 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2012 3:39:00 PM More reviews by vrinda

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I need to start by mentioning I have medium to light dark skin tone with yellow-olive and slight pink( cheeks) skin tone. Almost neutral but leaning towards a warm base tone. I have this in sx11 and sx13. Needless to say, my skin color is in tune with the sx11 and the sx 13 is too reddish-brown for me. Although I got both of these in sale I was ruing the $13 something spent on the sx13. Somehow this second shade sat in my dresser for months until I remembered the number of BB creams sitting on my shelf unused as well. Except for the Missha no.27 and some slightly usable skin 79 bbs I was ruing the $$ spent on the others as well. But, a light bulb went up somewhere and I tried the technique of taking a grain sized of the sx13 in my finger tip and then taking my lighter shaded bb and mixing and warming the two between my thumb and index finger and then applying in a tap-tap motion without rubbing it on...just tap- tap..and thats it. I get a nice light bronzed look I am loving right now. So, I am quite happy with both of these shades now. The look that I get by using the bb and the skin enhancer is a flawless, glowy, professional look.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2012 5:23:00 PM More reviews by jillbarry

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is really a great product and a little goes a long way. It took me a few tries to get it to blend in, but once I figured out a technique that worked it was a breeze. (Use a combo of a make up sponge and a foundation brush). I have tried all kinds of foundations and concealers and none work as well as this (they are all relegated to reject bin under the sink).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2012 11:55:00 AM More reviews by babieedoll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

First I'm around an NC25-30 with warml undertones. I got this in shade #7. This shade is sort of a light yellow undertone shade still neutral-but still warm. Also this probably leans slightly more to an NC25. My face is in the middle of NC25-30. But the shade matches my neck/chest area right on.

I bought this to use as a concealer for under my eyes. So I picked a shade that was supposed to be one shade lighter than my skin tone. This matches my neck/chest area perfectly. (My face is 1/2 to 1 shade darker than my neck). But I bought this for concealing average dark circles. This does brighten the eye area but it creases and looks too heavy. Frankly no matter how little I used or how I applied it: with a beauty blender, fingers (press and roll) or any other way I tried it just didn't work for me. Its not terrible sheered out with a moisturizer or damp sponge as foundation but I don't use foundation. I prefer LM tinted moisturizer if I'm going to use a base. I guess it just didn't work out for me.
-Contains mineral oil
-Felt too heavy on the skin no matter if sheered etc.
-Creased under eyes even when set with powder.
-Made pores appear noticeable when they usually aren't.
Somethings may work wonders for others but for some it just doesn't work as well. Thank goodness for returns :)

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2012 9:27:00 AM More reviews by Absalom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have this in SX-06 and SX-05 and am NC20-25
This has been and still is HG after all these years!

KA SSE has been talked about, became a sensation, went to Sephora, got kicked out, sold at bargain basement but has regained popularity over and over again through many lifetimes of most MUAers.

This product does what it is supposed to do but with panache and finesse. It's full on pigment and not for those who want sheered out, easy to smear on type of product. SSE will weed the impatient and land in the hands and hearts of those who will endure the learning curve of this precious product of it's dear creator, the one and only Mr. Kevyn Aucoin himself! lol.

I use it as concealer on most occasions and apply it with Laura Mercier SC brush. Any brush with a fine tip will do. I dot the teeniest bit on the blemish and pat it in. The heat from the finger and patting will fuse it to skin.

I also use it for the under eyes by adding a bit of Clarins instant light to brighten, apply and set it with LaMer loose powder. Works like a charm!

SSE is a foundation and a brilliant one, provided that you apply it properly. It just takes patience and practice. No real tricks.

I will never be without this until technology and science create a new formula that will revolutionize base makeup as KA SSE has in bringing pro level pigment to the masses! This stuff is the real deal.

25 out of 30 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2011 7:00:00 PM More reviews by bluebutterfly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this way back in 2005 and I tried it and didn't like it and it sat in a drawer. I'd pull it out every so often and use it as a concealer and it was okay. And then the other day, after I applied my sunscreen, I used my Sephora mineral foundation brush, lightly dipped it into the jar and then placed the brush where I wanted the most coverage, and then I buffed this stuff all over my face. Voila, perfect flawless coverage.
Look, this is not rocket science. I've been reading some of the reviews and OMG, it's like reading a chem lab experiment with the way some people apply this stuff. "First I use SX01, SX02, SX03, SX04 and I warm it up over a bunsen burner then I apply a thin layer of electro-plated gold serum to cover my pores and then I face north and make a small offering to the Gods...."
Seriously, it's a heavily pigmented foundation. Thin it out however it works for you. But definitely give it a chance. And it shouldn't take you an hour to apply this stuff. It's a foundation, not a ritual. Now that I know a little more of what I'm doing this stuff gives the best coverage, like real skin only better.

119 out of 124 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No