Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser

3.3

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Vegetable Glycerin, Olive Oil, Orange Oil, Oat Flour, Lanolin, Oat Oil, Aloe (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Vegetable Oil, Beta-Carotene, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Quillaja Extract, Rosemary Leaf Oil

on 4/26/2012 11:41:00 PM

I love this cleanser by Burt's Bees... the orange smell is wonderful and it seems to "melt" on my skin like honey. I have normal/combination skin and just wanted to give a thumbs up to this cleanser!

I see a lot of people whining about so many face care products...head to the derm ($150 w/ no insurance), he/she will tell you what you really need and you will save yourself $1000s on trying new products searching for your "holy grail" face products. That way, we can all quit whining about what doesn't work and get on with our lives! That being said:

I don't think this product is awesome as a stand-alone cleanser. HOWEVER, it is an amazing makeup remover. It does leave a small film, so if you like squeaky clean (which will dry your face out at first and grease you up later...) this isn't for you. It takes some getting used to..and if you've been trying the same type of products over and over hoping for different results, this may be a nice change for you. I stuck it out and my skin has changed for the better. It removes ALL of my makeup and doesn't irritate it. I have moderate rosacea (diagnosed by a legit derm...not self diagnosed..) and follow up with physician's formula cleanser (in the red can) and it works out very nicely for my normal-combo skin.

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I purchased this in another moment of being tired of researching for natural facial cleansers that were inexpensive, easy to obtain, did not contain added fragrance, coconut-derived surfactants, and after many repeat failures using DIY recipes. Also by purchasing it from Walgreens, I could return it if I wasn't satisfied. I was hesitant to use it because of my sensitive, oily-prone, dehydrated, mature skin and previous redness (sign of irritation) from using other products with EOs and the conflicting information about using citrus oils on sensitive skin. My usual experience has been that when I try something that's manufactured and supposed to be good for sensitive skin (CB shampoo, Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild, etc.) on the first usage my face will feel taut, itch, and my lips will peel. Upon the first usage of this cleanser, I massaged it into my dry skin and rinsed with warm water, I was pleasantly surprised that none of the typical reactions occurred and my skin felt very soft. After two days of using it in that manner, I did have that gummy residue on my face. I then tried using it like a cleansing balm, wiping it off with a moistened cotton pad, etc. Finally, I found that the best way to use this is to wet my face first, gently massage/swipe the cleanser over my face, use a wet baby washcloth to wipe it off and then rinse. This can be a little messy, if you're not in the shower. I did attempt in the early days of usage to purchase the same ingredients and make my own version w/o orange oil -but oat oil has to be purchased in large quantities. I don't use it for MUR because that would mean too much rubbing and that's a no-no for my skin. I now use lanolin oil combined with EVOO as a MUR as the results of that DIY recipe attempt. I am sensitive to the smell of fragrances, but the orange essence has not created an issue for me. The only time I experienced "the heat" as described by others is when my palms are already warm from hot water and then went to apply it on dry skin. For the price, limited number of ingredients, ease of obtaining, and the results - this an HG for me. 1 tube lasts approximately 2 mos using a (garbanzo) pea-size amount. Of course, I follow cleansing with patting on 1 drop of squalane oil and then applying moisturizer. I am no longer experiencing dry skin patches or oiliness. Yahoo!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Mmm this smells great! When i first used it, i was kind of dissapointed, because of the oily-like texture. And the feeling it leaves when you rinse your face, like moisture. And i have pretty oily skin, to use an oily cleanser!!
One day i saw this in my drawer and decided to start using it, and i guess i got used to it, and now i like the feeling it gives, before i used Noxzema, that didn't work for me at all, i loved the tingly sensation, but i really didn't feel it cleansed me at all. And other cleansers for example, the foaming one for one by Clinique, really dried me out, and somewhere i read that oily skin can be treated with the same thing.. Oil, sounds like homeopathy huh? And using it continuously i do see a difference in my face, it looks more fresh, more relaxed, and it has not brocke me out.
I like to use this is in the mornings. I use it with the Clarisonic Mia. It does not foam, it leaves a nice smell, and a moisture kinda of feel. This is one of the few 100% natural cleanser you can easily find, also I dont find it expensive as others organic products.
By the way, i urge you to enter this web site and browse about the ingredients that are in makeup products: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

on 1/13/2012 7:01:00 PM

two words: OIL SLICK

on 1/8/2012 1:42:00 AM

I've bought this cleanser a few times in the past but for some reason decided to stop using it for a good two years. I don't know exactly why I stopped but the most likely conjecture is that I got bored and wanted to try new things.

No other cleanser smells quite as brilliant and delicious as this one. It smells like oranges as you might anticipate (just because a product says it smells like orange doesn't mean that it always does- the Avalon Organics orange cleanser smelled like orange scented chemical detergent). The scent is probably my favorite thing about this cleanser as I don't honestly think BBOEC is the HG cleanser of the world...as it is not appropriate for all skin types (particularly oily).

In my opinion, dry skin types would benefit most from this cleanser and won't feel the "filmy remnants" that oily skin types do. I certainly didn't when I used it. IMO it cleaned without stripping and left my face nicely soft and moisturized.

NOTE* This stuff does not foam so if you're looking for the bubbles and that squeaky clean feeling- this isn't it.

8 dollars a is bargain price IMO for a cleanser. Perhaps because I have been wastefully extravagant in my selection of cleansers since I ceased using this one::

Clinique's 7 Day Scrub, Origins Frothy Cleanser, Origins Perfect World Cleanser, Kose Nature & Co Cleanser, Purity Cleanser, Missha Super Aqua Cream Cleanser, Boots No. 7 Cream cleanser, Boots No.7 Radiance Scrub...of these I would say Burts Bees is better than the majority of them with the exception of Purity & Origins Perfect World but then again you also have pay quite a bit more for the latter. So for the time being I've decided to go back to good old Burts Bees. When my pocket book gets fatter, there's a chance I'll swing by Purity & Origins again but otherwise it's all about Burt.

on 12/29/2011 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Other

I usually like Burt's Bee's products, but this one I would not repurchase. I am using it up to completion, because I hate to waste money, but it doesn't make me feel like it's cleansing my face at all...and has made my eyes burn a few times due to the acidity of the orange essence. I like the concept, the tube, etc, but it just isn't effective and doesn't make me feel clean.

on 12/2/2011 1:18:00 PM

This is some impressive stuff! I've used Burt's Bees' Orange Essence Facial Cleanser for the past week and a half and am surprised at how much better it removes eye makeup than any other product I've tried--even ones specifically designed to remove eye makeup. It does leave a "film" behind as other reviewers have said, but I think it's moisturizing. And you could always use a toner after if you want a squeaky clean face.

Skin: Other, Fair, Warm

I consider this to be a moisturizing facial cleanser for dry skin. I don't use it to remove makeup (I use make up remover to do that) and only use it when my skin is feeling dry/flaky. I have formerly oily skin that has turned combo but still acne-prone. I only use this once day (maybe twice on the rare occasion), it will clog my skin if I use it too frequently. It makes my skin soft and balanced. I love the orange scent and thick texture.

It's great at what it's suppose to do--cleanse (and slightly moisturize) dry skin. It does leave a soft film on the skin--I consider that the moisturizing side effect. It's not a miracle-worker but works well. I'm on my second tube of it and intend to keep using, especially in the winter!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Yuk, yuk, YUK!!!

This stuff left my face feeling more dirty than before washing. I can't get over the smell...it makes me feel like I'm washing my face with pledge cleaner!