October 26, 2014 | 965 users online

Fragrances - Caron - Farnesiana

rated 3 of 5 on 11/6/2005 8:42:00 AM More reviews by Bagfish

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I so wanted to love this, the reviews sounded great. I got a decant of the Parfum, and contrary to the reviews that indicate that its is almondy-marzipany, it is just full blown Parma Violets on me for the first hour. After an hour it does mellow and sweeten, but the first hour of dry, dusty violets makes it SO hard to wear. There is a slight similarity to Jour de Fete, both are bitter, but JdF sweetens to almonds within a few minutes, whereas Farnesiana sticks to bitter dusty violets for too long, and is hard work for me. damn skin chemistry! continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2005 8:57:00 AM More reviews by Flippit

I haven't had a chance to try the EDP yet, but the parfum is extremely addictive. There are some days when it's nearly all I can think about. The opening of this scent is almost offputting to me, but after about half an hour, I get the softest, headiest almond-like scent. It's like being drunk on an almond liqueur. There is a similarity to Jour de Fete, which I also love, but this is more molten and less foody to me.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/19/2005 12:58:00 PM More reviews by rbrewer

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The sharp spicy/powdery opening of this felt like a slap in the face, so I almost wrote it off from the get-go. I'm glad I didn't succumb to the urge to scrub, though, because the drydown that occurs an hour or two later is simply heavenly. Carmelized almonds with a touch of ambery spice - delicious without actually seeming gourmand. It's cozy and comforting, but still grown up.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2005 7:09:00 PM More reviews by Maller

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was under the impression that I *loathed* Farnesiana. I had heard rave reviews of this wonderful marzipan scent (slightly confused by the description of "crisp, floral" on the site). However, when I tried the edp it was neither a marzipan scent nor a crisp floral. To my nose it was an unspeakably foul artificial chemical concoction. The only possible similarity to marzipan would be something that a photographer had molded out of some sort of fake clay for a shoot. After my Caron conversion I realize that there can be a universe of difference between the parfum extraits and edps with many of the Carons, but some last vestigial instinct for financial self preservation still kept me from trying the parfum extrait of Farnesiana until recently. Fatal (financial) error. I am a committed addict of honey notes in fragrances and this is an absolutely exquisite honeyed almond, mimosa scent. It definitely is related to POTL, Rahat Loukhoum, L'A's Jour de Fete (far more interesting) and Mazzolari's Alessandro (less perfumey than Alessandro). It's an exquisite multifaceted fragrance. As it dries down different florals emerge - violet, iris and lily are most apparent to my nose, but the honeyed almond accord remains dominant throughout. Crisp it is not. For me it's the ultimate delicious gourmand fragrance. Gourmands often lack a certain sophistication and complexity - this does not. It's pure luscious, edible comfort, but doesn't make me feel like I've awkwardly reverted to being a teenager.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2005 5:34:00 PM More reviews by tosaralevy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I purchased a sample of the extrait after smelling it on the wrist of the lovely mercurygirl. On me, however, it smelled as if I had decided to bake bread from scratch, only to abandon the starter for a couple of weeks in a swamp. Sigh. Off it went to MG but as I put it in its envelope I said "it's not you babe, it's me." Ah, my first George Costanza fragrance moment. 4 stars because it's Caron and they are top-notch artisans!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2005 8:48:00 AM More reviews by daruma

This is absolutely fascinating because it's reminiscent of other Caron fragrances - I can smell hints of Fleurs de Rocaille, Nuit de Noel and Narcisse Noir - but it also has the whole POTL cherry almond thing going on. And it is powdery but for once it's good powder. I feel like a slightly louche baby who has been rolling in danish pastries! Only 4 lippies because it is so sweet it will probably attract wasps but it really is interesting.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2005 6:15:00 PM More reviews by heatherlucas

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I didn't like this at first--but I gave it some time and now i am liking it very much. Very warm, sweet and sophisticated. To me it smells like a doughy, powdery vanilla extract--somewhat like jour de fete, but a nicer version of it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2005 8:58:00 PM More reviews by lilacterp

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Farnesiana... what can I say about it? Hmmmm, I haven't disliked a scent so much in a long time. Maybe this is what cyanide smells like, since some say it smells like almonds? Yikes! It smelled medicinal and chemical all at once on my skin. I bought it because I love almond scents, but this smells like a poisonous almond plant or some kind of chemical cleaning solution. I love L'Artisan's Jour de Fete so much, but I don't find this similar to it at all. I don't get much almond from it, to be honest. I'm sorry, but this is not something I could ever consider wearing on myself. It was harsh and I had to cover it up with lotion to stop smelling it. I don't know if it's the mimosa that is getting to me, but this is the second Caron after Nuit de Noel that has rubbed me very much the wrong way. So sorry I bought a whole bottle of this, and I had a sample too, and I still bought it based on the reviews here, believing I would try hard to like it, like I need more scents to love. Carons and Chanels are just not me, so maybe I don't like classic scents.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2005 9:17:00 AM More reviews by Kaninn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

One of my 2 favourite fragrances (L'heure bleu being the other). It reminds me of marzipan, but the perfume has much deeper notes. A heady, warm, powdery fragrance. Ilove it

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2005 12:34:00 PM More reviews by Maximina

This is like a flowery Jour de Fete - but utlimately less bready. Although I do not like the overwhelmingly doughy/powdery start very much it immediately settles down into a delicately floral, extremely soft, doughy almond. Very pretty and unique and worth the wait for the feminine dry down!!