Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche

3.8

on 3/19/2006 2:04:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

RIVE GAUCHE in the vintage is what I'm lucky enough to srt out smelling.

A peach/bergamot/lemon takeoff quickly dissolves into a fragrant, powdery, ultra-feminine (and very strong, make no mistake about it) accord of magnolia, gardenia, freesia, ylang, rose and jasmin.

It is supported in the base by oakmoss, santal, a green aura, and plenty of the animal note that smells sexily like cat's urine. (Every perfume connoisseur knows that this kitty-pee note can be devastatingly sexy if mixed expertly, and here, it is.)

As other reviewers have stated, it does not leave simply one impression upon the woman who wears it; rather, it is a big, big Everywoman's perfume. It smells costly. The woman who wears this is announcing to her male companion that she doesn't come cheap.

I have suggested elsewhere on line that I suspected Revlon's CHARLIE was a cheap American knock-off to this disco-queen potion; others have disagreed with me here, however.

on 3/19/2006 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

This began my foray into fragrance when I was 11 or 12. It belonged to my mum and I always loved the smell~ very grown up, and it always meant she was going somewhere very elegant and ladylike. I don't think I'd wear this now though. I have a bottle to sniff sometimes, but I don't actually put it on.

on 11/13/2005 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Although Rive Gauche contains adelhydes, it dries down to a fresh sexy finish that is not heavy, just clean and a little sophisticated. This is powdery at the beginning, but on me it does not stay that way and morphs into something much more wearable and most importantly, it is not cloying. There are days that I smell the cap of the bottle in the morning as I'm deciding what to wear and I think, it's too heavy! But everytime that I wear it, I am reminded that it's nowhere near that heavy or strong. The bottle is beautiful. I hope they never discontinue this. There's nothing like it. This opens up as a green fragrance to me and ends as a clean floral.

on 10/13/2005 5:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

There's nothing more subjective than a person's fragrance, we all like different things, but I adore this. I bought some recently and remember my older sister wearing it in high school. This is a classy, clean somewhat powdery smell, but it has enough 'dark' notes to convey images of sexy, coy and mysterious. A very classy, uptown sort of scent.

on 10/5/2005 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This was the second fragrance I ever wore. I was 11 when I got it. This one is a bit tricky. I could wear it then but I'm not sure about now. I haven't worn it for so, so, very long. I did love it back then, though (early-mid eighties). I got hooked on this around the same time I was introduced to Ivoire de Balmain (see that review if you want to know what an 11 year old would be doing with this). This is a sophisticated, sui generis fragrance. In personality this one reminds me of intelligence, feirce independence. This is money. This one isn't overtly sexy. It is formidable, as I remember it. I'm sure a dab of this would do.

on 6/22/2005 10:35:00 PM

I wore this in high school in 1978. It brings back some memories. It is a strong fragrance. It was good back then but not something that I would wear today although I have it in my collection.

on 5/27/2005 2:58:00 PM

I love love love RG. Not just because Mom wore it in the late 70s - usually we don't always want to smell like Mom but RG seems to override that. What is it that is so fascinating about this one? It's like an Everyfragrance. Not quite one thing nor the other, sort of powdery, sort of floral, and one can see how some find the PortaPotty reference there too. But I find it a tremendously open, fresh and ambiguous perfume. It has no boundaries or harsh lines about it, enabling your own presence to flesh it out. Very Continental.

on 5/11/2005 5:13:00 PM

i got a sample of this as an extra in a swap and make the mistake of spraying it on my self. it smells like a clean portapotty, very chemical and powdery and quite unpleasant. this is an old lady perfume. hate is a very strong word, and that is why i am going to use it with rive gauche, an awful, horrific strong scent. maybe it just smells bad on me. maybe it hates me too. whatever it is, i hate rive gauche and hope i never come in contact with it again, ever.

on 4/7/2005 4:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

a big fragrance loaded with power & powder, heady exotic/foral. Nights in black silk. Very deep and not at all dark. Not many have mention what flower this is neither am I as I am not sure it is so well blended. One thing I did not like is the can bottle but it is Left Bank.

on 3/22/2005 8:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Smells something like Calandre, but more floral. This can go anywhere -- office, party, picnic, opera, bedroom, and be content. A long-lasting aldehylic chypre.

Popular Fragrances