September 1, 2014 | 2067 users online

Fragrances - Yves Saint Laurent - Rive Gauche

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2005 10:26:00 PM More reviews by OSusanna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Although Rive Gauche contains adelhydes, it dries down to a fresh sexy finish that is not heavy, just clean and a little sophisticated. This is powdery at the beginning, but on me it does not stay that way and morphs into something much more wearable and most importantly, it is not cloying. There are days that I smell the cap of the bottle in the morning as I'm deciding what to wear and I think, it's too heavy! But everytime that I wear it, I am reminded that it's nowhere near that heavy or strong. The bottle is beautiful. I hope they never discontinue this. There's nothing like it. This opens up as a green fragrance to me and ends as a clean floral.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2005 5:09:00 AM More reviews by classicsoul

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

There's nothing more subjective than a person's fragrance, we all like different things, but I adore this. I bought some recently and remember my older sister wearing it in high school. This is a classy, clean somewhat powdery smell, but it has enough 'dark' notes to convey images of sexy, coy and mysterious. A very classy, uptown sort of scent.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2005 4:12:00 PM More reviews by bibliophile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This was the second fragrance I ever wore. I was 11 when I got it. This one is a bit tricky. I could wear it then but I'm not sure about now. I haven't worn it for so, so, very long. I did love it back then, though (early-mid eighties). I got hooked on this around the same time I was introduced to Ivoire de Balmain (see that review if you want to know what an 11 year old would be doing with this). This is a sophisticated, sui generis fragrance. In personality this one reminds me of intelligence, feirce independence. This is money. This one isn't overtly sexy. It is formidable, as I remember it. I'm sure a dab of this would do.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2005 10:35:00 PM More reviews by makeupqueen26

I wore this in high school in 1978. It brings back some memories. It is a strong fragrance. It was good back then but not something that I would wear today although I have it in my collection.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2005 2:58:00 PM More reviews by crash1977

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love love love RG. Not just because Mom wore it in the late 70s - usually we don't always want to smell like Mom but RG seems to override that. What is it that is so fascinating about this one? It's like an Everyfragrance. Not quite one thing nor the other, sort of powdery, sort of floral, and one can see how some find the PortaPotty reference there too. But I find it a tremendously open, fresh and ambiguous perfume. It has no boundaries or harsh lines about it, enabling your own presence to flesh it out. Very Continental.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2005 5:13:00 PM More reviews by wondertoe

i got a sample of this as an extra in a swap and make the mistake of spraying it on my self. it smells like a clean portapotty, very chemical and powdery and quite unpleasant. this is an old lady perfume. hate is a very strong word, and that is why i am going to use it with rive gauche, an awful, horrific strong scent. maybe it just smells bad on me. maybe it hates me too. whatever it is, i hate rive gauche and hope i never come in contact with it again, ever.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2005 4:39:00 PM More reviews by Artifical4

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

a big fragrance loaded with power & powder, heady exotic/foral. Nights in black silk. Very deep and not at all dark. Not many have mention what flower this is neither am I as I am not sure it is so well blended. One thing I did not like is the can bottle but it is Left Bank.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2005 8:06:00 PM More reviews by AngelZoe

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Smells something like Calandre, but more floral. This can go anywhere -- office, party, picnic, opera, bedroom, and be content. A long-lasting aldehylic chypre.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2005 12:26:00 AM More reviews by georgiak

This is my favourite scent! I have worn it since I was in high school, so I have basically worn it for over 20 years. Sometimes I wear Cristalle or Lumiere, but I always have Rive Gauche in the car, purse, and house. I love it, love it, love it...and I LOVE the packaging!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2005 12:26:00 AM More reviews by AmandaMPC

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Great, great scent that I wish I remembered to wear more often. Technically, it's classified as floral-aldehydic (acording to Jan Moran) because of the aldehydes at the opening, but to me it's most clearly defined by the mossy-wood base that chypres share. Thing is, I really have trouble handling most of the more "famous" chypres - Mitsouko, Cabochard, Diva. I just find them too overpowering. But this one works somehow; when I apply it, I always brace for the inevitable chypre-induced headache that never comes around. Instead, Rive Gauche just seems to melt into my skin with a vaguley powdery subtlety. It's not sweet or overtly spicy, yet layers surprising well with unlikely counterparts such as LMDV Tahiti (sounds bizarre but it's a beautiful combo.) This review, by the way, refers to the pre-makeover version of Rive Gauche, the "old" version which I understand has now been reformulated to be lighter and a bit more linear in composition.